[GUIDE] Installing Windows 10 Technical Preview on the HTC Shift

Search This thread

ryu1

Jan 29, 2009
resita
Windows 10 Windows Technical Preview is available for more than a week. Since i have an extra old 40gb hdd for the shift, i decided to give it a try, and i can say that it works perfectly well. Everything works including touchscreen, wifi, bluetooth, modem, etc.
However installing the drivers may be a little tricky. Here are the steps:

1. Download Windows Technical Preview from microsoft website (download the x86 version)
2. Extract the .iso file to a usb stick (i used power iso to do that)
3. Plug the stick to the shift and boot from it
4. Follow on screen instruction to install windows
5. When done copy the drivers for the shift (you have the download link bellow the video ) to a stick
6. First install "VistaECDrvV" in compatibility with windows vista (right click on the file - properties - compatibilty tab- run this program in compatibility mode for: - select windows vista (service pack 2) !! do that for all of the drivers) - restart later
7. Install "TouchScreen"
After installing touch screen driver the touch should work - give a restart
8. Install "Synaptics MicroPad" - restart later
9. Install "shagctrl" ignore the Microsoft .NET Framework missing error - restart later
10. Install "Marvell Wifi driver" - restart later
11. Press the Win+R key combination and type msconfig in the run box and hit enter - switch over to the boot tab, and click on the Safe Boot check box - select minimal -apply -ok - restart
13. With windows booted in safe mode navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers right click on "sdbus.sys" -> properties -> security -> advanced -> owner TrustedInstaller click on change -> in the field labelled "enter the object name" type your username -> ok -> apply -> ok -> now back on security tab edit permissions -> click on users -> check all boxes from "permissions for users" tab on allow -> apply -> yes -> ok. Now delete "sdbus.sys"
14. Copy the "sdbus.sys" from the archive that i attached here to C:\Windows\System32\drivers
15. Press the Win+R key combination againg and type msconfig in the run box and hit enter - switch over to the boot tab, and unthick the Safe Boot check box - apply -ok - restart
16. You should have wifi working now - If you cannot find any wifi networks, as it was in my case, go to device manager - right click on the "Marvell sd8686 Wireless LAN SDIO Adapter" (the one without the exclamation mark if you have two) - properties - advanced - from the property box select 802.11D support - on the value box value box select enable. Your wifi should work ok now.
17. Install the "sherry driver 1.3" for the best performance of the video card.
18. That's it! enjoy

What i like most about windows 10 is that it have a "card view" of the running apps just like maemo 5 on noka n900, or the blackberry 10 os. Overall it runs a little better than windows 7 and similar with windows 8.1.
Maybe i will install it as a replacement for windows 8.1 update 1 on the main 120 gb hdd

Here is a small video to see how it runs:

Download HTC X9500 DRIVERS

Attachments

• sdbus.zip
    40.6 KB · Views: 3,104
Last edited:

Armazia

Nov 23, 2008
Windows 10 Windows Technical Preview is available for more than a week. Since i have an extra old 40gb hdd for the shift, i decided to give it a try, and i can say that it works perfectly well. Everything works including touchscreen, wifi, bluetooth, modem, etc.

1. Download Windows Technical Preview from microsoft website (download the x86 version)
5. When done copy the drivers for the shift (you can find them on this forum) to a stick
6. First install "VistaECDrvV" in compatibility with windows vista (right click on the file - properties - compatibilty tab- run this program in compatibility mode for: - select windows vista (service pack 2) !! do that for all of the drivers) - restart later
7. Install "TouchScreen"
9. Install "shagctrl" ignore the Microsoft .NET Framework missing error - restart later
11. Press the Win+R key combination and type msconfig in the run box and hit enter - switch over to the boot tab, and click on the Safe Boot check box - select minimal -apply -ok - restart
13. With windows booted in safe mode navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and delete "sdbus.sys" and "dumpsd.sys"
14. Press the Win+R key combination againg and type msconfig in the run box and hit enter - switch over to the boot tab, and unthick the Safe Boot check box - apply -ok - restart
15. When booted in normal mode copy the files from the "wififix" archive, that i attached to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and restart
16. You should have wifi working now - If you cannot find any wifi networks, as it was in my case, go to device manager - right click on the "Marvell sd8686 Wireless LAN SDIO Adapter" (the one without the exclamation mark if you have two) - properties - advanced - from the property box select 802.11D support - on the value box value box select enable. Your wifi should work ok now.
17. Install the "sherry driver 1.3" for the best performance of the video card. Search it on google.
18. That's it! enjoy

What i like most about windows 10 is that it have a "card view" of the running apps just like maemo 5 on noka n900, or the blackberry 10 os. Overall it runs a little better than windows 7 and similar with windows 8.1.
Maybe i will install it as a replacement for windows 8.1 update 1 on the main 120 gb hdd

Thanks alot, I am going to install it now :D

B-44

Aug 31, 2011
Starkenburg
www.B-44.de
Excellent how-to. Clear and precise.
For those who want to perform it: taking a look at ryu1's comment in Post#14 is crucial!

You bring shift to future.
Also an interesting Video- as i see you've only 1GB RAM installed, and nevertheless your Shift runs pretty fast-
faster than mine with 2GB and Win7U.
Network connection, connection to SnapVue... i'm really amazed.
How long does it take to boot, and what about GPS?

Think i'll create a new partition on my 128GB SSD and run Win10 from there.
How large do you think should it be?

Last edited:

ryu1

Jan 29, 2009
resita
Excellent how-to. Clear and precise.
You bring shift to future.
Also an interesting Video- as i see you've only 1GB RAM installed, and nevertheless your Shift runs pretty fast-
faster than mine with 2GB and Win7U.
Network connection, connection to SnapVue... i'm really amazed.
How long does it take to boot, and what about GPS?

Think i'll create a new partition on my 128GB SSD and run Win10 from there.
How large do you think should it be?

Well, i'm sure gps work ok (at least on the windows mobile side) but didn't tested on the windows 10 side.
For booting, i'm sure it take less than 1 minute, but don't know the exact time.
If you want to make a partition for win10, that should be at least 10 gb.

It would be really nice to see how it will run on your shift with 2gb of ram.
Please post the result if you install it :D

glowco

Oct 8, 2010
NJ
Maybe I'm missing something here. On my X9500 I can't get by the error about the 800 MHz processor. Maybe you are on a different model?

B-44

Aug 31, 2011
Starkenburg
www.B-44.de
Same thing occured with win8 if i recall right... early releases worked fine, and later ones also came up with this problem. (It may have been with BenQ MID S6 instead Shift, I'll try to find out.)
Don't know if there had been some workaround.
As MS is continuously working on it, it may depend on the releases' date.
Mine dates october 20th, but i won't be able to test until next weekend.
If ryu1 doesn't have another idea, it may be useful to share the release he uses.

The processor should always be the same.

edit: Post#86
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1264742&page=9

Last edited:

ryu1

Jan 29, 2009
resita
What error are you talking about? i installed windows 8, then 8.1 and now 10 but never got any error about cpu.
Are you sure you didn't download the 64 bit version?

glowco

Oct 8, 2010
NJ
Win 10 Technical Preview lists as a requirement:
Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster

Error complained about lower specification.
It was the 32-bit version.

B-44

Aug 31, 2011
Starkenburg
www.B-44.de
"error" may be the wrong word.

The problem had been discussed in the thread i have linked above.
Again: it may be interesting to know the date of release.

B-44

Aug 31, 2011
Starkenburg
www.B-44.de
What error are you talking about? i installed windows 8, then 8.1 and now 10 but never got any error about cpu.
Are you sure you didn't download the 64 bit version?

Maybe i've got it...
in your how-to you say "Plug the stick to the Shift and boot from it".
You mean plug it in, start your shift, enter boot options and select usb stick to boot from, right?

I had prepared my usb stick with powerISO, plugged it in, opened my stick in devicemanager and doubleclicked "Install".
And ran into "your device won't be able to run Win10 because of less than 1GHz".

Maybe this was my mistake, and i won't have this problem when booting from stick.

Will report asap.

Last edited:

B-44

Aug 31, 2011
Starkenburg
www.B-44.de
That's it..
Just do what daddy told us ;)

(And DON'T use windows installer.)

I haven't finished installation completely,
but right now i must say speed is amazing!

As some drivers are automatically installed to volume "C" i think i'll switch the names of C and X
(the partition i'm installing to), reinstall all drivers and then switch back.

edit: obsolete, win has done it by itself ;)

Last edited:

ryu1

Jan 29, 2009
resita
Sorry for the delay, but i am very bussy these days. Anyway the installation mus be done by booting from usb stick, not via installer.
I have allready installed windows 10 on the main hdd instead of windows 8.1. There are a few things i forgot to mention on the first post, when booting into safe mode to delete the "dumpsd" and "sdbus" files you'll need permission to delete them. Just follow this instructions to change the permission: http://www.askvg.com/guide-how-to-take-ownership-permission-of-a-file-or-folder-manually-in-windows/

Reactions: B-44

B-44

Aug 31, 2011
Starkenburg
www.B-44.de
That's what i just was about to ask you, as i am stuck at this point...
Will try later and report
Tomorrow.

edit: Think you should for your own sake update your initial post, concerning boot process and rightsmanagement.
Further visitors won't follow the whole thread and'll bomb you with questions.

Last edited:

glowco

Oct 8, 2010
NJ
"error" may be the wrong word.

The problem had been discussed in the thread i have linked above.
Again: it may be interesting to know the date of release.

Oh, by error I meant I received an error message when trying to do the install the way I had tried it. I will read the new information posted here, thanks all.

B-44

Aug 31, 2011
Starkenburg
www.B-44.de
Finished installation yesterday, everything was fine, quick'n'clean when suddenly wifi stopped working.
Marvell shows error code 10 and winupdate seems to have installed a different adapter.
SD adapter same error.
Had a similar experience when i installed win7, but there i already had a restore point to return to,
and since then everything was fine.
Will make a clean reinstallation, and after adding the wififix disable wifi to avoid possible system updates
and create a basic restore point i can return to each time winupdate kills something.

Dec 27, 2007
Preview build 9879

Anyone managed to get the latest build to work. Mine gives a message that my display resolution is too low and stops the upgrade.

Shame really as this works very well on the Shift, and with rumours that win 10 could be free it would have been a good o/s for this computer.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

5. When done copy the drivers for the shift (you have the download link bellow the video ) to a stick
    7. Install "TouchScreen"
    13. With windows booted in safe mode navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers right click on "sdbus.sys" -> properties -> security -> advanced -> owner TrustedInstaller click on change -> in the field labelled "enter the object name" type your username -> ok -> apply -> ok -> now back on security tab edit permissions -> click on users -> check all boxes from "permissions for users" tab on allow -> apply -> yes -> ok. Now delete "sdbus.sys"
    14. Copy the "sdbus.sys" from the archive that i attached here to C:\Windows\System32\drivers
    15. Press the Win+R key combination againg and type msconfig in the run box and hit enter - switch over to the boot tab, and unthick the Safe Boot check box - apply -ok - restart
    17. Install the "sherry driver 1.3" for the best performance of the video card.
    18. That's it! enjoy

Download HTC X9500 DRIVERS
    Searching google I came across this guide, it’s in Korean. I used translate to kinda read it. The author had attached some files, I downloaded them and installed them on fresh install. I copied the included sdbus.sys and restarted, I already installed the drivers before and when came back up I could choose SSIDs. I attached the files I hope they help.

http://manian.com/review/6729677
    No, i re-uploaded the drivers becase i received a lot of pm messages from people asking for the drivers.
    I tried some tricks to get the wifi to work, but no success. I will investigate this further.
    For now, the best way is to use a usb wifi dongle.
    8.1 sd8686.zip from fost #50

I went from Windows 8.1 and used the invitation for Windows 10 and installed Windows 10.
    Only things I had to do is change te resolution via VistaECDrvV1 as usual and delete the sdbus.sys (after taking ownership, see post # 1) and copy the sdbus.sys from the Korean post (8.1 sd8686.zip) and WiFi is working again.