How to root Android L [SuperSU updated]

Search This thread

elsuzio

Jan 18, 2011
is there a way to root without custom recovery ?
Yes and no... you need a custom recovery to install root but it doesn't need to replace your current recovery.
Download TWRP, go to fastboot and instead of "fastboot flash <recovery.img>" to flash TWRP, you need to use "fastboot boot <recovery.img>". Your phone will then boot into that recovery, but preserving your original recovery. So, after you reboot again it will have the original recovery.

Hope it helps.

xrad

Jul 3, 2012
The Internet
Yes and no... you need a custom recovery to install root but it doesn't need to replace your current recovery.
Download TWRP, go to fastboot and instead of "fastboot flash <recovery.img>" to flash TWRP, you need to use "fastboot boot <recovery.img>". Your phone will then boot into that recovery, but preserving your original recovery. So, after you reboot again it will have the original recovery.

Afaik this is what "boot temporary recovery" in the nexus root toolkit does, right? I did that in the past successfully with my N10. But when I tried it with a new N5, it wouldn't work but kept stuck in the stock recovery. I had to unlock the stock bootloader before it worked.

curtdragon

Dec 14, 2010
Nashville
Afaik this is what "boot temporary recovery" in the nexus root toolkit does, right? I did that in the past successfully with my N10. But when I tried it with a new N5, it wouldn't work but kept stuck in the stock recovery. I had to unlock the stock bootloader before it worked.

Before you do any rooting or flashing you should have the bootloader unlocked

fuhayer

Jul 15, 2006

Hope it helps.
i did but still no root access:
i downloaded TWRP and changed into recovery.img
fastboot boot recovery.img (nexus opened TWRP recovery screen)
i have chosen install and selected supers.2.01.zip
later on i tapped reboot

it is opened with installed superssu but no root access.

any mistake ?

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
i did but still no root access:
i downloaded TWRP and changed into recovery.img
fastboot boot recovery.img (nexus opened TWRP recovery screen)
i have chosen install and selected supers.2.01.zip
later on i tapped reboot

it is opened with installed superssu but no root access.

any mistake ?

Yeah, first you need supersu 2.14. You also need chainfires boot image. See a couple of pages back in this thread. A guy wrote up the procedure with links.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Ben36

Jun 8, 2012
No this doesn't work for the latest 5.0 release... This is an old thread that people keep bringing up

Sent from my Android 5.0 Nexus 5

Ben36

Jun 8, 2012
Actually, if you read a little, maybe two posts above yours you'll see that there is a method posted in this thread that works

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
Flash sykopompos boot.img in his n5 port thread.
Flash supersu 2.17
Done

Sent from my Android 5.0 Nexus 5

Reactions: sykopompos

Top Liked Posts