Nexus 6 on Verizon - what works and what doesn't

Search This thread

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com
I went into my Local Verizon store with my current active Galaxy S4 and told them I wanted to activate a new nano sim with adapter in my S4. They said they could not do that because their system will not let them activate a "nano sim" in a phone that takes a "micro sim" and they could not over ride this in their system. I have no idea if that is true or not but they seemed to be trying to be helpful. I went home and took out a scissors and cut down my micro sim to a nano sim and put it in my new N6 it is working fine. I do think however that Verizon activations, if you don't all ready have an authorized compatible sim card, are going to be problematic.

You could have called Verizon had them ship you a SIM card for an htc m8 then activate it on your current line using the nano to micro adapter. Then once it's activated pop it in the nexus 6.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

air2k57

Oct 5, 2009
I think everything works as far as I know. Tempted to buy from tmobile but don't want Verizon to whitelist or black list or whatever.. I already have a nano sim from the m8 and adapter for,my g3.

But tmobile. Has to activate it first.. I wonder if that would cause any issues?

They dont, i bought two from them and both times they didnt even break the seal.

johnh123

Jun 23, 2010
After editing the build prop for tethering, can you then unroot the device and have it 'stick' to allow tethering? Need unrooted phone for tivo app.

mdonnelly1127

Oct 11, 2010
I can confirm I am using the nexus 6 on Verizon network. It works flawlessly no problems what so ever. Even did the software update and it updated and went right back yo normal. The device does not do simultaneous voice and data which is a given. Just activate a nano Sim and pop it in the phone. Also if you are looking to purchase the device from T-Mobile just go in and tell them you want to buy one full retail on a prepaid account which one day of service is $10 and the Sim is $10 so you pay an extra $20 big deal. Don't even have them activate it just pop your nano Sim in and you're good to go. If for some reason they insist on activating just do a factory reset and pop your Sim in before it activates again and you're good to go. Hope this helps for anyone thinking of purchasing works like a charm and happy with device

Hand76

Jul 1, 2010
Long Island N.Y.
I want to switch to Verizon when i get my nexus 6 in a couple weeks.

Will i have any issues just walking in off the street with my phone and tell them i why to be a new costumer and set up on my N6?

nhlpreds98

Oct 22, 2009
DFW, Texas
Stuck in CDMA-eHRPD

Any idea's how to get out of this crap? I am in Ft. Worth, TX and i never had any issues with LTE with my Note 3. Verizon is their usual completely unhelpful selves. :mad:

wtherrell

Dec 30, 2008
I went into my Local Verizon store with my current active Galaxy S4 and told them I wanted to activate a new nano sim with adapter in my S4. They said they could not do that because their system will not let them activate a "nano sim" in a phone that takes a "micro sim" and they could not over ride this in their system. I have no idea if that is true or not but they seemed to be trying to be helpful. I went home and took out a scissors and cut down my micro sim to a nano sim and put it in my new N6 it is working fine. I do think however that Verizon activations, if you don't all ready have an authorized compatible sim card, are going to be problematic.
I got my new nano sim activated in my GS4 by Verizon customer support online. Worked perfectly. Don't know what the store hangup would be.

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com
The store activation I guess depends on where you go and how reluctant the employees are. When mine arrives I already have a new nano SIM. I ordered a nano to micro adapter and I will be using it to activate my nano in my HTC one M7.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Edit the build.prop by adding the line:

net.tethering.noprovisioning=true
    In doing some more research I'm still lost on the sim activation. k.electron said above that all I have to do is buy a micro sim card and a micro to mini sim adapter, put the micro sim in the adaptor, put it in my Galaxy Nexus and turn the phone on. That'll activate the sim. Then I've read online sources that say I have to have several different numbers (phone id, sim card, etc) and call Verizon to get the micro sim activated. :confused: I think I'm getting more confused.

Nexus 6 takes a nano sim, also known as 4FF. You can order one from customer service; many people got theirs from using chat on the verizon website, others from calling in. Just tell them you want it for a Nexus 6 Android phone and they'll send you one free of charge, two day shipping. Some folks have said you have to lie and say it's for a 2014 Moto X or other supported nano sim phone, but I just said Nexus 6 and they didn't even blink an eye.

Activation is a bit confusing. The website (My Verizon) has online activation -- but this only works if you have the IMEI of a supported phone to input (i.e. not the IMEI of your Nexus 6). I also could not get it to work by inputting the IMEI of my current phone (Galaxy S3), I suppose because it thought it was already activated. Some have recommended to get this to work by "Borrowing" the IMEI of some random phone in a Verizon store or from a friend, but I chose not to do this.

Simply putting the sim in my old GS3 (with a nano-micro adapter) did not activate it. But I just called customer service (the "activations" department) and said I needed the sim they sent me in the mail activated, and they did it, and then it worked. While I was on the phone with them I first put the sim in my GS3 just to be safe to test the activation, but it may well have worked if I put it directly into the Nexus 6. In any event after it worked in the GS3 I transferred the sim to the Nexus 6 and it's worked fine ever since.

As many have pointed out, ad infinitum in this thread and elsewhere, log on to My Verizon and make sure your account is set to "Basic Voicemail", not "Visual Voicemail", and certainly not "Basic Visual Voicemail". Otherwise your voicemail will not work and you'll get cryptic encoded text messages instead of a voicemail indicator.

Your phone will show up on My Verizon as "NON-VZW" phone but that's the price we pay :p
    Anybody having problems with the voice mail notifications?

Mine keep coming up as text messages with all kinds of strange stuff with the phone number that called:confused:

WTF is that all about?

Go into your account online and turn off visual voice mail

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA Free mobile app
    Google Voice for calls and VM are working, and Portable Hotspot is fine too. That is on my micro-cut-to-nano SIM card from my S4.
    Took the nano sim out of my iphone 5 and had no issues with the nexus six, but im in good LTE area and on wifi. Hopefully will have no issues at work with 3g and 1x