(Discussion) LG G3 Android 5.0 Lollipop Update

When do you think AndroidL 5.0 will be available for LG G3?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

reza1995live

May 31, 2012
BONAB
Hey guys it seems to be a problem with our lollipop updates, i installed the camera fv-5 with new features for new camera APIs but the app doesn't let me to take images in row format also no manual exposure neither in lollipop and cm based roms
How can we can make sure lg updated the APIs?

Stek988

Sep 4, 2012
Zagreb
Hey guys it seems to be a problem with our lollipop updates, i installed the camera fv-5 with new features for new camera APIs but the app doesn't let me to take images in row format also no manual exposure neither in lollipop and cm based roms
How can we can make sure lg updated the APIs?

Maybe the reason for that is the race of giants to update their flagships to the latest software. So we get a rom with some partially unfinished features (something like beta) but i think the future updates will include all polished and implemented feauters. :)

Sent from my LG-D855

Reactions: reza1995live

PatarNoster

Dec 9, 2014
Perth
www.patarnostersart.com
Hi LG users

First time using the Android 5 on my LG G3, (used android for many years) I installed an unofficial CM12 build on my LG G3 and its absolutely amazing.

I have yet to have such a great experience on a android phone that iv had on this device with CM12. Its responsive intuitive and great battery life.

In fact the new layout and features are great, now i know you can get add ones for most of these like the notifications on lock screen but its good to see it built in and integrated so well.

Usually after so much modifications to get to something like this may glitch out any phone.

The only thing that bothers me is the lack of options in settings, it feels like they removed a lot of options.

hack14u

Nov 23, 2010
Mobile, AL
Hi LG users

First time using the Android 5 on my LG G3, (used android for many years) I installed an unofficial CM12 build on my LG G3 and its absolutely amazing.

I have yet to have such a great experience on a android phone that iv had on this device with CM12. Its responsive intuitive and great battery life.

In fact the new layout and features are great, now i know you can get add ones for most of these like the notifications on lock screen but its good to see it built in and integrated so well.

Usually after so much modifications to get to something like this may glitch out any phone.

The only thing that bothers me is the lack of options in settings, it feels like they removed a lot of options.

On just about all of the roms and pure Android itself, many of the options you are used to seeing are not there anymore. They are built in by the manufacturer. I have a G3, and a M8, I put the 5.0.1 update on my M8 and hated it so much I went back to 4.4.4 Sense. Glad you are liking it.

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

You can find lag only on the 16GB version.

Ya, no. Come play with my 32GB, ATT version. I tried to dismiss it at first, but my phone now sits in a corner waiting for E-Bay to come take it away it's so bad. Went back to my M8.

PatarNoster

Dec 9, 2014
Perth
www.patarnostersart.com
On just about all of the roms and pure Android itself, many of the options you are used to seeing are not there anymore. They are built in by the manufacturer. I have a G3, and a M8, I put the 5.0.1 update on my M8 and hated it so much I went back to 4.4.4 Sense. Glad you are liking it.

Yeah iv had some bugs that are CM12 port bugs but apart from that its really good, i like the non intrusive phone calls thats very nifty and clean.

TheSkyline35

Jan 8, 2014
Paris
I want quick circle for CM12, I paid this case 25€ I don't want to don't use it :p

And V20D is good but battery life still bad (

meyerweb

Jun 19, 2010
I will wait for lollipop before I root etc .

If you mean you're going to upgrade to the Lollipop OTA and then root, I wouldn't advise that. It's likely the official 5.0 won't be rootable for a long time. Even the most recent 4.4 update breaks root. I would suggest rooting while you still can, and then updating with pre-rooted ROMs here on XDA.

Reactions: karlos65

Leinger

Jul 21, 2012
Update unavailable

How come that a week ago I have upgraded my G3 to 20D via official LG upgrade tool (checked before at site http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/csmg/b2c/client/auth_model_check2.jsp?esn=xxx where xxx is the imei code). Now my friend asked to update it to him and when I check for update it tells me that most recent version is 10L. Phones are from the same region and the same operator. Maybe anyone knows why LG canceled the already rolled update via PC?

SilentStrider

Jun 23, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Why? Since when do current OEM UIs look like Holo? There is nothing about Lollipop that means you HAVE to use Material design.. There is no reason LG has to adapt its apps at all to material design if it chooses to keep the existing look, its entirely optional. Its what Google wants, but Google doesn't always get what it wants.

If LG chooses to it can make its 5.0 update look exactly the same as it does now. I dont think it will, but i don't think it will be massively different either. It will use the new animations, and some material, mainly the new notifications (but not fully) and recents menu, but LGs apps and the colour scheme will probably be largely unchanged.
I agree with you, because honestly I don't give a damn about what design trends google or any smartphone companies go with,

The only reason I am looking for an OS update is to be able to access and modify my ExSdcard contents that KiT KaT introduced.

And yes I know if I root the device I will get access to it but honestly even though I was borderline flashohollic on my old Samsung S3, I have no urge currently to root/flash ROMS on LG G3 at the moment, only as last resort!

iBolski

I agree with you, because honestly I don't give a damn about what design trends google or any smartphone companies go with,

The only reason I am looking for an OS update is to be able to access and modify my ExSdcard contents that KiT KaT introduced.

And yes I know if I root the device I will get access to it but honestly even though I was borderline flashohollic on my old Samsung S3, I have no urge currently to root/flash ROMS on LG G3 at the moment, only as last resort!

That's where I'm at. I'm pretty happy with how the G3 runs out of the box, but having write access to my SD Card is a must.

I wish there was a sure-fire way of backing up app data and restoring it without needing root. I know Helium does it, but only with apps that have "registered". I tried it, and about 10 of my apps didn't back up due to them not being registered.

So, my only way to do so is with TiBu, which requires root. I know adb is another way to backup, but do you still need root to restore it?

SilentStrider

Jun 23, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
That's where I'm at. I'm pretty happy with how the G3 runs out of the box, but having write access to my SD Card is a must.

I wish there was a sure-fire way of backing up app data and restoring it without needing root. I know Helium does it, but only with apps that have "registered". I tried it, and about 10 of my apps didn't back up due to them not being registered.

So, my only way to do so is with TiBu, which requires root. I know adb is another way to backup, but do you still need root to restore it?
As far as I know root is required to all things in the root folder.

Honestly if there was a rom that only run on a terminal window that would be pure simplicity. By that I mean when the phone booted instead of a UI we got a terminal window that will be the ultimate simplicity....

vasanthtt

May 4, 2011
Chennai
OTG not working

I installed lollipop on D855, everything works fine except OTG USB drive. When I connect OTG with usb drive. It immediately turn off screen and unable to turn it on. It turns on only when I unplug OTG. Power button long press is working with restart/shutdown popup. Device stock unrooted.

Help me plz

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm not waiting anything from LG. I had LG's best phones till now, the Optimus 2x and now the G3. They make awesome and powerful devices but they are crap at software developing. I bought the G3 for its hardware specifications. Now I'm just waiting for the developers to start working on roms, kernels, etc.... They will do a grate job I know it! So be patient and wait for the developers and not LG :D
    In custom roms we trust!:D
    Have you got this update on your G3? Does it come with any other improvements?

It will come first week of february by OTA 149mb with this improvement:

Lollipop stability/performance improvements.
    Knock Code stability enhancements.
    LG G Flex 2 themes.
    Update of GMS applications.
    Backend fixes for Android 5.0.1

This is just rumor coming from Korea...
    Here is my French test of 20A version on D855

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJuxHl9if3c

If you like it click on THANKS button please !
    It's great to see Lollipop on the G3, but I don't fully like LG's approach. Theres too much "old" LG KitKat-software beeing copied and pasted all over the new Android version. Old LG apps that were created for KitKat could use an update with the new fancyness of Lollipop. For example animations for menu dropdowns in LG apps are the old KitKat ones and notifications does not show up on the top of the screen the cool and useable way it does on stock Lollipop. Using volume rocker still gives an annoying "old-style" popup-window in the middle of the screen instead of a discrete one aligned to the top. It's sad but theres many Lollipop improvements and fancy animation styles that has been ripped out and replaced for the worse. I can just hope that LG are still in the works of changing this and bringing us a solid LG user interface that really feels "Lollipop" and fresh. CyanogenMod 12 is a cool option but personally I always return to stock thus it's more optimized and solid in the very end. I hope more users give their opinions about this to LG so we can have a nice future software experience!