How Long To Shutdown?

Search This thread

Dankees

Dec 3, 2014
So, when I power down my Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1, the screen shuts off, but the buttons at the bottom of the device (the soft buttons) stay lit up for about 10 more seconds.

Is that normal?

otyg

Apr 5, 2013
yes, it is safely unmounting the filesystems and closing all the apps (like linux does), the screen and buttons will stay lit until it fully shuts down.
also if its plugged into a charger it might boot up to show the big battery charging icon, then turn off.

this is fully shut down / off mode used for storage or if you just want to save the battery a little, press the power button for 5 seconds to turn tablet back on :)

Reactions: Dankees

otyg

Apr 5, 2013
On a side note, is there any benefit to storing applications on my SD Card?

Well when you move an App to Storage it is really moving it to /mnt/sdcard/.android/ (hidden folder, usually with a tmpfs mount hiding the contents so people can't mess with app data :)) , this is still the tablet memory since Samsung just uses a big partition (at least on my device), so whether its under /data/data/(app) or if its under /mnt/sdcard/.android it won't matter since it's still the same space on the same partition, really no benefit there. (though on some other devices the /data/data/ and /mnt/sdcard might have separate partitions and it can help free up space ..etc , it varies from device to device)

if you want to use an external sdcard to store app data (like big obb files for games ..etc) you will most likely need root (at least until android 5 comes out) and use a program like "Folder Mount" to redirect the mount points to the external sdcard..

for example you can make symbolic links ie: "/mnt/sdcard/Android/obb/com.rockstargames.gtavc" will redirect to "/mnt/extSdCard/Android/obb/com.rockstargames.gtavc" , this way the big content will reside on the external card, and the apps will still be installed on the internal storage but take up much less space.

Reactions: Dankees

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    yes, it is safely unmounting the filesystems and closing all the apps (like linux does), the screen and buttons will stay lit until it fully shuts down.
    also if its plugged into a charger it might boot up to show the big battery charging icon, then turn off.

this is fully shut down / off mode used for storage or if you just want to save the battery a little, press the power button for 5 seconds to turn tablet back on :)
    On a side note, is there any benefit to storing applications on my SD Card?

Well when you move an App to Storage it is really moving it to /mnt/sdcard/.android/ (hidden folder, usually with a tmpfs mount hiding the contents so people can't mess with app data :)) , this is still the tablet memory since Samsung just uses a big partition (at least on my device), so whether its under /data/data/(app) or if its under /mnt/sdcard/.android it won't matter since it's still the same space on the same partition, really no benefit there. (though on some other devices the /data/data/ and /mnt/sdcard might have separate partitions and it can help free up space ..etc , it varies from device to device)

if you want to use an external sdcard to store app data (like big obb files for games ..etc) you will most likely need root (at least until android 5 comes out) and use a program like "Folder Mount" to redirect the mount points to the external sdcard..

for example you can make symbolic links ie: "/mnt/sdcard/Android/obb/com.rockstargames.gtavc" will redirect to "/mnt/extSdCard/Android/obb/com.rockstargames.gtavc" , this way the big content will reside on the external card, and the apps will still be installed on the internal storage but take up much less space.