How do I root Verizon Note II 4.4.2 ND7?

Search This thread

Hellstorm32

Apr 8, 2015
Rooted and tried to flash twrp recovery and soft bricked

I own a SCH-i605 Galaxy Note 2 from Verizon running 4.4.2, and was able to root my device using the above described ghettoroot method. I installed twrp manager from Google play, and attempted to flash recovery to my device using the in app feature. I was notified that the process was successfull, and to reboot. However, after reboot I got stuck with the "We have discovered software on your phone that is not from Verizon Wireless. Contact nearest store." Or something similar to that. My device was soft bricked, and would not boot. I was able to restore the firmware from a stock 4.4.2 ROM for SCH-i605 (Holy cow, that was tough to find without having to sign up for something), so now my device is working fine, but I'm unrooted again. I'm confident to be able to restore the root, but I'm trying to figure out how to unlock the bootloader.

So far my efforts have come up empty handed, like so many on this thread. Is there a step I'm missing to be able to flash a custom recovery and backup my phone completely so if a ROM flash goes wrong, I can restore? Any help would be appreciated, I've read all the messages on this thread, but haven't found anyone saying this is possible until the few last ones. How did you get safestrap to work?:confused:

stoph8n24

Stock 4.4.2 has a locked bootloader, only way is to send your phone to company to revert it. You must reroot and install safestrap and then you can install 4.4.2 Roms only, I think. Note 2 was given the okay to receive lollipop update, I believe so soon someone will find a root for that after, hopefully.

Reactions: Hellstorm32

Hellstorm32

Apr 8, 2015
Stock 4.4.2 has a locked bootloader, only way is to send your phone to company to revert it. You must reroot and install safestrap and then you can install 4.4.2 Roms only, I think. Note 2 was given the okay to receive lollipop update, I believe so soon someone will find a root for that after, hopefully.

Great, thanks for the response. I did re root my phone, and I've heard about the lollipop update, so we'll have to see. I can't see too many devs wanting to keep plucking away at the note 2 hardware when there's note 3 and 4 out, but I like this phone. Not too slow, and best part is its bought and paid for now. Just never really thought about rooting it until last week,so im pretty new to the process.

So how'd you do that?!?!?

My device was soft bricked, and would not boot. I was able to restore the firmware from a stock 4.4.2 ROM for SCH-i605 (Holy cow, that was tough to find without having to sign up for something), so now my device is working fine, but I'm unrooted again. I'm confident to be able to restore the root, but I'm trying to figure out how to unlock the bootloader.

Cool.... this the first thing I needed to know is if I kill it can I get it back. I can't afford a payment plan fone had to buy this one cash....

So how did you do it? What tools / (LINKS?) method and firmware did you use? Anything with Links to the destructions you followed would help

I gotta know how to ReViVe it before I kill it :laugh:

THANKS
VW

Hellstorm32

Apr 8, 2015
Cool.... this the first thing I needed to know is if I kill it can I get it back. I can't afford a payment plan fone had to buy this one cash....

So how did you do it? What tools / (LINKS?) method and firmware did you use? Anything with Links to the destructions you followed would help

THANKS
VW

My brick was soft, meaning I attempted to boot my phone and was met with the "Software has been found on your phone that is not authorized by Verizon..." etc. My phone would not boot, but I was still able to access the download mode. So I obtained the fully stock ROM from stockroms. I used Odin v3.07 odindownload.com to flash the stock ROM and returned my device to stock. Beautiful thing is that I retained all my data, apps, text messages, etc. It was like I never bricked it. I can't say you will have the same results, but hopefully you won't have to worry about it.

I have some download links here to help. I have to manually type these and switch between this window and a screenshot from my phone, but I want people to have the same luck as me without having to search for hours like I did.

Stock 4.4.2 firmware for SCH-I605
http://stockroms.net/file/GalaxyNote2/SCH-I605/official/I605VRUFND7_I605VZWFND7_VZW.zip

Ghettoroot download link one
http://www.mediafire.com/?s58bgpzo03idh9e

Ghettoroot download link two
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2922670

Odin download I received
http://download.chainfire.eu/313/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-t0ltevzw-t0ltevzw-schi605.zip

Follow the instructions in this thread
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=59070170&postcount=426

I hope this helps you!

Sent from my SCH-i605 through space and time

Brought forth to your face by the XDA Developer app

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

I forgot to mention, the reason I soft bricked my phone was because of an attempt to install twrp recovery using the app. That set off the security on my locked bootloader, and made it so I couldn't boot my phone without the Verizon warning. Dont do what I did, the bootloader isn't unlocked for 4.4.2 yet, so don't try to flash any recovery unless you use the safestrap method.

YAYYYYY!!!!

I hope this helps you!

Yes :D Exactly what I needed.

Having read extensively about this stoopid phone (that I'm stuck with, and should be grateful to have) it appears I bought one that was "raped" by the OTA update... The destructions you posted confirm what MIGHT be a solution if I don't kill it using a method I suspect will work.... exactly what you did, except to use different images...
Not-Raped Stock Firmware....
I am understanding that the bootloader must also be loaded. (mj9?) with the corresponding ROM firmware in order to prevent what happened to you.

Either way, I'll be DL the package that workd to "resurrect" your phone THANK YOU!!

VW

JNLopez1987

Apr 16, 2015
How to Root Note2 i605

I'm not happy with this releases installed software and would like to root my Verizon Note II. It's on 4.4.2 ND7. Also will I be able to unlock my bootloader so I can install CWM or TWRP and install custom roms? Thank you.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Free mobile app

i just found out how to root verizon note2 nd7 4.4.2...just go to kingroot.net and download it...there will be a green button with chinese writing..just tap on green button and wait a few seconds maybe a minute..then youl get a check mark stating that its rooted..thats what i did with my note2 sch-i605 that was updated with OTA from 4.3 to 4.4.2...just follow the instructions likei said..and youll have a rooted note 2 in no time without any problems....dont forget the thanks button plz...remember to choose the third option on the kingroot website..it says kingroot...just want to help save the trouble for others..i went thru alot of searching to find this out....One more thing..when you root with kingroot it will install kingUser wich is like supersu..when you open it it will tell you that it found Knox wich is the vzw security just clik on deny so it can deny the secuity..and everything will run smooth like if you never rooted it

Last edited:

Which destrctions (link) did you follow for restoring your brick (I've found several but they seem kind of old before our 4.4.2 madness)

At what point in the odin process did this file go in (If it's not already in the original destructions you used)

Thank you so much, the explanations are very clear :D

VW

Hellstorm32

Apr 8, 2015
I basically just followed the instructions for using Odin in general. Start your phone in download mode (for us it's volume down button, power button and home when your device is powered off), plug your phone into the computer with a USB cable, Make sure the "Auto Reboot" and "F. Reset Time" check boxes are the only ones marked. Place the ND7 stock ROM in the folder with "Odin3-v3.07.exe" file in it, and click the "PDA" button, select the ND7 stock ROM, and off you go. Wait until your device reboots, restarts, and Odin says PASS where your device is indicated and you should be good to go. I haven't had it fail yet on me, so hopefully you have the same luck.

Best wishes, happy rooting!

mryanmarkryan

May 27, 2013
I had the same problem with the twrp app. It bricked my phone. I think it's because we are selecting the wrong partition.. I'll try following your method..

Snake-Plissken

Aug 21, 2006
San Francisco
I had my phone repaired by samsung. It died because of samsungs famous eMMC bug and now I am also stuck with this stupid firmware. For me the phone is not worth anything anymore. just dead paper weight without getting root and unlocked bootloader.

I planed on using this phone as my dev-device.

Are there any news and updates?

I guess you can achieve root with kingoroot, but can you also install a custom recovery?

Mejud

Apr 21, 2012
I'm also trapped on 4.3, tried factory-resetting it, still wont do ota to 4.4.2. Is there ANY way to get it to at least 5? LOTS of apps refuse to run at 4.3...who knew;

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

THANKS
    VW

My brick was soft, meaning I attempted to boot my phone and was met with the "Software has been found on your phone that is not authorized by Verizon..." etc. My phone would not boot, but I was still able to access the download mode. So I obtained the fully stock ROM from stockroms. I used Odin v3.07 odindownload.com to flash the stock ROM and returned my device to stock. Beautiful thing is that I retained all my data, apps, text messages, etc. It was like I never bricked it. I can't say you will have the same results, but hopefully you won't have to worry about it.

I have some download links here to help. I have to manually type these and switch between this window and a screenshot from my phone, but I want people to have the same luck as me without having to search for hours like I did.

Stock 4.4.2 firmware for SCH-I605
    http://stockroms.net/file/GalaxyNote2/SCH-I605/official/I605VRUFND7_I605VZWFND7_VZW.zip

Ghettoroot download link one
    http://www.mediafire.com/?s58bgpzo03idh9e

Ghettoroot download link two
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2922670

Odin download I received
    http://download.chainfire.eu/313/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-t0ltevzw-t0ltevzw-schi605.zip

Follow the instructions in this thread
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=59070170&postcount=426

I hope this helps you!

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

I forgot to mention, the reason I soft bricked my phone was because of an attempt to install twrp recovery using the app. That set off the security on my locked bootloader, and made it so I couldn't boot my phone without the Verizon warning. Dont do what I did, the bootloader isn't unlocked for 4.4.2 yet, so don't try to flash any recovery unless you use the safestrap method.

There is root now... At least, it works for me. I modified [source code based on] towelroot, fixed a few things for our phone, and called it GhettoRoot. No one has tested it except me.

Feel free to try it, usual warnings apply... Check my thread in the General forum. I can't link anything or post in the development forums.
    Root ND7

Guaranteed working! Follow my setup and it will work everytime
    Ok guys I was finally able to get my ND7 i605 rooted and its perm.
    1. Download Ghettoroot v.0.3.2 and extract to C:
    2. Download Ghettoroot from here post 27 (http://xdaforums.com/note-2-verizon/general/root-adb-ghettoroot-v0-1-towelroot-port-t2864125/page3)
    3. Extract 2nd ghettoroot downloaded to same folder as the first Ghettoroot folder
    4. You should now have all folders and files at C:/ghettoroot
    5. This is where most are getting no device or its not working
    6. Plug in the phone and wait until it enters media mode (30sec)
    7. Open INSTALL.cmd in ghettoroot folder, but DO NOT press anything else! (Leave CMD Window Open)
    8. After you open INSTALL.cmd the phone will ask for PC Authorization, hit yes on phone
    9. At this time open GhettoRoot.bat in the folder and run it. It should see the phone and BAM!! start rooting.

Seems that adb from one ghettoroot will not recognize phone, but run together solves this no device problem.

I take no credit for files or such. Post is my personal setup that works everytime.
    Ive been sitting in mj9 with root being apparent is the update worthwhile?

YES, most definitely, IMO, I don't have to upgrade to the note 4 ASAP now.