Overheating Issues

Search This thread

Sameh mohamed

Apr 14, 2009
Port Said
Yesterday i was playing "The room two" after 20 mins or so the phone gets too hot i checked the battery temp it reached 46 °C i think there is no way to fix it is all due to the crappy 810 and i think it is also the cause average battery life despite the bigger capacity

Sent from my HTC One M9 using XDA Free mobile app

Duncan1982

Feb 6, 2014
Everyone freaked out that the m8 got hot as well. My M9 has yet to get as hot as my M8 has.

Using my m9 on rapid charger as I type this and its cool, been watching a lot of YouTube video's (one was around 58mins) all was fine.

I can only assume its gaming that brings some heat as that's something I never do.

Reactions: jauhien

xxquicksh0txx

Jul 17, 2010
Akron, Ohio
Using my m9 on rapid charger as I type this and its cool, been watching a lot of YouTube video's (one was around 58mins) all was fine.

I can only assume its gaming that brings some heat as that's something I never do.

My M8 would rape my hand occasionally. The hottest my M9 has gotten is while optimizing apps on my Quick Charger(2.0) and it's still not even *that* hot compared to what I've felt on the M8. Heck, even my Z3...

I believe there's some truth to the 810 being a little *too* toasty, and I think the phone was getting hot on pre-release software. (Before they started throttling so much) But I think they went ahead and throttled too much.

Also, what's the point of having all 8 cores online all of the time? Not sure why they did that, my M8 would shut 3 cores off now my M9 is running all 8 cores 100% of the time.

In the middle of flashing the released Viper rom as I was on a beta version. 150/182 optimized and my phone is only 103f(infrared thermometer), which is nothing to be afraid of. It'd probably get hotter when it utilizes the gpu... but still.

Last edited:

Duncan1982

Feb 6, 2014
My M8 would rape my hand occasionally. The hottest my M9 has gotten is while optimizing apps on my Quick Charger(2.0) and it's still not even *that* hot compared to what I've felt on the M8. Heck, even my Z3...

I believe there's some truth to the 810 being a little *too* toasty, and I think the phone was getting hot on pre-release software. (Before they started throttling so much) But I think they went ahead and throttled too much.

Also, what's the point of having all 8 cores online all of the time? Not sure why they did that, my M8 would shut 3 cores off now my M9 is running all 8 cores 100% of the time.

Yeh I'm not sure either, but what I am confident on is that it will be rectified with updates.

Tbh if throttling isn't effecting the performance I won't complain or having all 8 cores active. This may be different if I was a gamer and the above was effecting performance (which it might, I don't know) but I just dont use my phone for this.

xxquicksh0txx

Jul 17, 2010
Akron, Ohio
Yeh I'm not sure either, but what I am confident on is that it will be rectified with updates.

Tbh if throttling isn't effecting the performance I won't complain or having all 8 cores active. This may be different if I was a gamer and the above was effecting performance (which it might, I don't know) but I just dont use my phone for this.
The throttling they're doing now is hurting performance. I think with better optimization they could get away with less throttling. Especially as it's a brand new SOC, and it hasn't really had time to 'mature' yet.

Well custom kernels will resolve this right? Still makes no sense why they wouldn't think of that themselves...

They should. I'd hope battery life should improve, as well as overall performance. I'm no kernel dev though.

Quadrider10

Sep 21, 2012
www.youtube.com
I think best way to solve the issue is to disable 2 A57 cores and undervolt the heck out of the cpu. Or one could disable 2 A53 cores and 2 A57 cores. That would help battery life a Lot, Probs improve performance because it won't be throttling, and reduce temps significantly. At least that's what I'm going to try and do once a Kernel allows for it.

Imo, there is 0 reasons for an 8 core cpu in a phone.

Maddog0057

Aug 31, 2013
Lynn
I've also noticed my phone getting really warm real fast, although i did find that turning on power saving mode does decrease the temp significantly but unfortunately not altogether.

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
HTC One M9 Gaming and Thermals

before reading this you should note:

HPM = High Performance Mode which is hidden inside Developer Options, a sort of CPU governor boost, forcing the device the M9 to mantain upper clocks rather than scale up and down with ordinary governor, throttling still apply but it will always hold at the higher available clocks

Powersaver - CPU = disables A57 cluster and only the A53 cluster is used at 300mhz to 1.5ghz, GPU clocks are not touched

In general while gaming the GPU will not throttle until 35c skin temperature after that it will throttle in stages, eventually arriving at half the speed of Adreno 430 which is slightly faster than the M8 s801 Adreno 330 GPU, it will hold that speed and temperature for the remaining of gaming time, around 45c check the graphs over here

Few warnings: you need to realize that this is an octa core known for its heavy thermals at the moment, so playing on the charger is a major TABOO, equally downloading over wifi while gaming seems to cause excessive throttling as well so be careful there

audio is glorious with or without earphones

Game Tests, base: 1.32.401.15

- Godfire - High Graphics: update 1.1.28 of this game brought s810 devices exclusive Adreno 4xx graphics, before the s810 update the game was very smooth but on both low and high graphics it ran in very simple geomtery and low res textures, after the update even low the default low gets upgraded, displacement mapping on the environment, high poly models and shaders, the game is not 1080p its upscaled by default, switching to high mode will bump the resolution (still under 1080p) a little as well as texture resolution and increase shaders + effects like bloom, heat haze and blurs, so I think high is ES3.1
The amount of geometry on screen in some scenes is hard to believe and slaughters many of the TK1 games out there, overall I couldn't stop playing just because the graphics and weapons kept getting better.
Performance in high graphics by default is locked around 30fps, I played for a very long time in HPM (around an hour) and the game never visibly throttled (WiFi disabled)
recommended CPU mode for this game is full speed or HPM

- Sky Force 2014: This game plays very smooth with both octa or quad mode, but in the powersaver quad mode we see some stutter in the game intro (the first intro when you install the game) while the intro is always 100% smooth if you use the full mode. now, the cool thing about this game, is that while it plays locked 60fps in gameplay for both modes, its actually cooler in temps and drains less in full octa mode! that's because it relies on the A57 for spikes of high performance which is better than to rely on the A53 at full speed all the time, i have been playing it a lot and i can definitely confirm better thermals and battery use in full octa, recommended CPU mode for this game is full speed

- Mortal Kombat X: Runs at 45fps average but most of the time it hits 60fps, HPM can lead to a more stable 60fps experience, recommended CPU mode for this game is full speed or HPM

- Modern Combat 5: This game is the showcase for s810 as far as i am concerned, its not about the maximized graphics or smooth fps only, its about the amazing ragdoll response when using the game with full CPU speed, it runs much better than the M8, this games requires Wifi on, yet its actually cooler than the M8 for some reason, i never saw it throttle, i actually prefer to play it on the M9 than the Tegra Shield tablet! it looks better and controls better on a denser screen and for some reason it feels even more speedy, it also looks razor sharp around 1080p, recommended CPU mode for this game is full speed, no powersaver since it uses those cores for smoother physics

- Asphalt 8: runs exactly flawless better than the M8 which was capped at 30fps, on the M9 it's around 43fps, with micro stutters which this game always suffered from even on the iPhone, the speed is incredible with the faster cars, i also never saw this game throttle or the GPU is already way ahead of it, HPM will earn you a more stable stable fps around 45fps. recommended CPU mode is full speed or HPM

- Asphalt overdrive: runs liquid smooth and in higher graphical quality than the M8, it can last 20 minutes before the speed evidently starts reducing, the high end graphics mode was too much for the M8, so when it eventually throttles down to M8 speed it can be get less enjoyable unless you switch to the second best graphics mode, recommended CPU mode for this game is powersaver, the cores are not needed and so you should delay throttling

- Riptide GP2: defaults for the latest versions are not great which enables ES3.1 shadows and makes is slower, however if you switch to shader medium and maximize all other graphics it can run at full graphics slider 1080p almost locked 60fps the M8 was never able to do so, until it starts dropping, its overkill anyway so you can go for medium slider, recommended CPU mode for this game is powersaver, the cores are not needed and so you should delay throttling

- Real Racing 3: here's where things get tricky,this game needs CPU power and so by default its running around 30fps, which is lower than the iPad/Shield, the only way to get it higher at the moment is using the hidden dev options high performance mode (HPM) which acts as a sort of CPU governor boost, it will still throttle in HPM but maintains an upper clock usage rather than stalling down, also temps will hold at around 45c, HPM is the recommended way to play this game it will run in 60fps around this mode

Last edited:

Makaveli1490

May 4, 2011
I'm getting overheating issues. The first night I got it and started to download all my google apps, the phone got so hot I had to put it down. Scorching. Now it overheats from slight use. Very uncomfortable. Im going to take it back in exchange for another. If that overheats as well, I'm going to keep my M7

theveterans

Apr 12, 2015
I'm getting overheating issues. The first night I got it and started to download all my google apps, the phone got so hot I had to put it down. Scorching. Now it overheats from slight use. Very uncomfortable. Im going to take it back in exchange for another. If that overheats as well, I'm going to keep my M7

That's odd. Mine certainly didn't get hot. Only warm to touch while porting everything.

theveterans

Apr 12, 2015

How did you purchase your phone?

From HTC website. I then use system update to the latest then sync/restore my apps and Google stuff. All is done via WiFi.

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21

did you apply the latest HTC update? the out of box OS doesn't have thermal caps

if you did and still have bad extreme overheating issues your device might have some defects in thermal shielding or your s810 is a bad yield

its good you brought up the M7 as a reference point, the M9 with the latest sw thermals fall right between the M7 and M8, that is it should not heat more than the M7

Makaveli1490

May 4, 2011
From HTC website. I then use system update to the latest then sync/restore my apps and Google stuff. All is done via WiFi.

Hmm I got mine straight from T-Mobile, in the store

did you apply the latest HTC update? the out of box OS doesn't have thermal caps

if you did and still have bad extreme overheating issues your device might have some defects in thermal shielding or your s810 is a bad yield

its good you brought up the M7 as a reference point, the M9 with the latest sw thermals fall right between the M7 and M8, that is it should not heat more than the M7

Since I bought the phone I haven't received an update. I been checking, but nothing so far. Is there a way to compare the software information?

theveterans

Apr 12, 2015
Since I bought the phone I haven't received an update. I been checking, but nothing so far. Is there a way to compare the software information?

Check if you have "1.32.617.30" under software information. I have tested Navigation too but it's not as bad as 45 degrees. I feel slightly warmer than my skin so it's around 40 degrees IMO.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As I said a few times already, it's not as blazingly hot because they underclocked the processor with the latest update. Tests have shown that after the update the M9 still gets warm when antutu is run but only reaches 45 C rather than the 55 C it reached before the update. However, the performance score took a hit compared to before the update.
    You can repeat yourself as much as you like.
    The bottom line is whether they have under clocked or not, its still the fastest, smoothest experience out there on any flagship device and will be until the M10 - Adam
    Looks like the LG g4 has the 808 chip instead of the 810 that htc one m9 is using. Hmm

and that means what exactly? the s808 chipset has half the memory bandwidth (while dealing with 2k resolution, which explains why their UI lags so much on the G3) and two A57 cores killed, inferior GPU, you can do better on the M9 by locking out the A57 cluster using powersaver mode

using powersaver is certainly easier than changing a phone, and you still keep the awesome GPU power, killer bandwidth and UI speed

this whole s810 drama is a rumour fest, i bet many didnt even look at their temps before the s810, most of the 2014 phones except the M8 were hovering around 40c during normal operation, the M7 hovers around 45c during heavy use in its latest lollipop base

---------- Post added at 08:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 AM ----------

Got my M9 last Saturday from Vodafone UK.
    this morning it was running very hot during a Skype video call with the power cable attached.
    I can't even hold it

Battery apps don't even indicate the temp, it just show overheating. I quickly turn off the phone and let it cool down a bit before switching it back on.

its really not wise to do heavy tasks (like gaming or skype call) on an octa core phone while charging, in fact OEMs generally reduced the USB cable length to force you to unplug your phone while using it

its nothing new and not specific to the M9 mate, i can make you a page full list of main 2013 / 2014 Android phones which will easily cross 45c in such tasks, especially if you are charging

if you must do the unforgivable thing of destroying your battery by working heavily while charging, then at least disable the A57 cluster using your M9 CPU powersaver

just a warning about CPU powersaver, there is a bug currently as it doesnt stick after reboot, so you need to disable enable after reboot
    I haven't seen any review bar the first one that came out complain about heating issues. Real world use might differ but I think people are becoming sensitive to it and are looking for the issue now. So making it worse than it is.
    I had the gs6 for 2 weeks and I can say it got hotter to the point where it became almost burning my fingers. On the screen and the right side. Im sure the glass in the back was blocking the heat.

Like m7, m8 the m9 feels hotter in the back due to the metal dispersing the heat. but the screen is no where near as bad as the gs6.

Thus why i am sticking to the m9. I sure do miss the finger print reader and camera but love multitasking again lol
    Tin foil hat in full effect...

Lmao that's the typical conditioned response to something you will not see on the news! Trust me you will be experiencing it all soon enough.