s-off and bootloader unlock question

Search This thread

hackjunk

Jan 22, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Hi all!

Just picked up an M9 this week... Had an M8 prior to that. I've been reading through the forums and spent some time on the M8 forums flashing, testing, and customizing the phone with Roms. I've been reading about the M9 and have noticed some mention that Verizon is firm about a locked bootloader and all. I was curious how on the M8, S-off and unlocking the bootloader was achieved if Verizon is so strict about keeping the phone locked down? Thanks for any responses in advance :) Looking forward to customizing this beast of a phone. Thank you to all the Devs that make all of this possible!

Cheers,

Ren

Last edited:

Balian67

Jul 27, 2009
Hi all!

Just picked up an M9 this week... Had an M8 prior to that. I've been reading through the forums and spent some time on the M8 forums flashing, testing, and customizing the phone with Roms. I've been reading about the M9 and have noticed some mention that Verizon is firm about a locked bootloader and all. I was curious how on the M8, S-off and unlocking the bootloader was achieved if Verizon is so strict about keeping the phone locked down? Thanks for any responses in advance :) Looking forward to customizing this beast of a phone. Thank you to all the Devs that make all of this possible!

Cheers,

Ren

The M8 was like this when it first came out. Yes Verizon is strict. From what I have been told they are trying to find a Temporary Root Exploit to be able to S-Off and all that goodness. We just have to be patient like the First Model M8 people were. Luckily when I first got my M8 it was rootable and stuff. So just be patient, or feel free to donate to jcase and beaups to help buy them energy drinks.

Tigerstown

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
Detroit
Everything @Balian67 said an also one tip. Don't do any updates till you are s-off as updates could cause exploit not to work if there is a exploit released. :)

chayos00

Feb 19, 2012

xgerryx

May 26, 2011
New Hampshire
As soon as im s-off i flash Aosp style roms and never look back....but tbh...sense isnt bugging me like touchwiz did..not that ill stay on stock sense but it isnt atrocious

Totally agree with this!! Oh my lord is there a difference between Touchwiz and Sense. I did go back to Nova Launcher for the actual day-to-day launcher but the framework is...I dare to say...enjoyable to use. This is my first HTC phone, although I've worked on a few for friends, but I'm loving it so far.

aer0zer0

Recognized Contributor
Totally agree with this!! Oh my lord is there a difference between Touchwiz and Sense. I did go back to Nova Launcher for the actual day-to-day launcher but the framework is...I dare to say...enjoyable to use. This is my first HTC phone, although I've worked on a few for friends, but I'm loving it so far.

So i bought an M9 for myself and a S6 for my wife. This is first i have used touchwiz, it is not intuitive whatsoever. I am happy with my m9

cubarican84

Jun 22, 2010
I'm in S6 trial week. Lol. So far not impressed. The so called super snappy touchwiz has a laggy keyboard whether stock or google. Also don't get me started on Chrome browser lag. Little things here and there that are non existent on even the m8. Overall its snappy but it still has annoying hicups here and there. Gonna take a miracle for me not to exchange for an m9 next weekend.

PizzaSauce

Sep 2, 2013
Twin Cities
I had an M7 but not an M8 and had put AOSP on it because Sense just didn't feel right to me.

I bought an M9 because of the retail employee deal of no-contract for $300 and trading in for the new one every year. Ditched my G3 and haven't looked back. I love Sense 7. Not only is the UI smooth and really easy to use, the whole design language flows so well with the physical design of the phone. I don't think I'll be putting a custom ROM on this but I would love root for an ad blocker. I forgot how many ads there were on phones until I had to use this M9 without root.

Is anyone planning on making a bounty thread?

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
I had an M7 but not an M8 and had put AOSP on it because Sense just didn't feel right to me.

I bought an M9 because of the retail employee deal of no-contract for $300 and trading in for the new one every year. Ditched my G3 and haven't looked back. I love Sense 7. Not only is the UI smooth and really easy to use, the whole design language flows so well with the physical design of the phone. I don't think I'll be putting a custom ROM on this but I would love root for an ad blocker. I forgot how many ads there were on phones until I had to use this M9 without root.

Is anyone planning on making a bounty thread?
No need really. Bounty threads are worthless distractions too.

For example, one of the last ones claimed only netted the receiver 30% of all promised funds.

Sunshine will likely include vzw some time in the near future...you probably didn't use it on your m7 but it's a standalone app and costs $25.

Reactions: andybones

Balian67

Jul 27, 2009

For example, one of the last ones claimed only netted the receiver 30% of all promised funds.

Sunshine will likely include vzw some time in the near future...you probably didn't use it on your m7 but it's a standalone app and costs $25.

Worth every $0.01 (2500 pennies).

xgerryx

May 26, 2011
New Hampshire

Well, it worked on the S5, that's for sure. Leading to the most prolific exploit in android history with Towelroot, so I wouldn't say pointless. I'm not sure the exact % that paid their pledges, but I paid mine. The ads in apps and webpages are really starting to bug me honestly, and I miss my battery-saving apps and xposed modules. I jumped to HTC from the S5 specially to restore bootloader access and ultimately CM-based ROM's to my phone experience. I guess leaving Verizon would have been a more thoughtful choice, but oh well. If anyone starts a bounty thread (and yes I know almost everyone thinks its a bad idea), I'm in.

That being said, much respect to the people working on a root method for us currently. You guys make my little phone hacking hobby possible, so thank you.

Balian67

Jul 27, 2009
Well, it worked on the S5, that's for sure. Leading to the most prolific exploit in android history with Towelroot, so I wouldn't say pointless. I'm not sure the exact % that paid their pledges, but I paid mine. The ads in apps and webpages are really starting to bug me honestly, and I miss my battery-saving apps and xposed modules. I jumped to HTC from the S5 specially to restore bootloader access and ultimately CM-based ROM's to my phone experience. I guess leaving Verizon would have been a more thoughtful choice, but oh well. If anyone starts a bounty thread (and yes I know almost everyone thinks its a bad idea), I'm in.

That being said, much respect to the people working on a root method for us currently. You guys make my little phone hacking hobby possible, so thank you.

I don't know exactly how true it was, but when I first got my M8 and found out that I had to pay $25 to get S-OFF, at first I was hesitant...But I kept reading WHY and immediately understood and paid right away. It separates guys like us who pay their pledge from people who DON'T. As I am sure you would EASILY pay the $25 to get S-OFF. I know I would. I almost prefer it this way, because im pretty much sure it comes with tech support for those who need it. If only more americans stood by their word instead of promising things they would never fulfill. I know that this community has always been about contributing and free things to make all of our experiences better. I get that, but all too often, people take the work and claim it to be theirs. I remember a few devs (that I talked to a lot) had this problem with users of the Samsung Moment and HTC Evo 4G. So between all of the devs hard work not being appreciated (especially when they do this stuff for THEIR phone and they release it to us to enjoy and some people are always complaining or demanding features, yet they don't contribute by donating to the dev so they can buy energy drinks to keep their mind going, or beer to help relax them after they finished a massive update that fixed all the bugs and added features and stuff. Then people wonder why they have to pay $25. Well I have been a member of XDA for years, contributed a lot here or on irc chat, and I will gladly pay $25 to get S-OFF, Root, and Custom Recovery. Why? Because since the DAWN of xda, everyones phone has been made far better then what ANY manufacturer gives us. I mean seriously...I would have Android Lollipop on devices that Samsung or whoever has long gone moved on from. Why? Because of XDA, and the devs. I swear if everyone paid $25 these devs would be able to buy all sorts of devices to root for us. I know I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro, and an HTC. So I appreciate it, and you know what? I consider that $25 a donation to have root on devices period. Why? Because without the people who know what they're doing, I wouldn't be able to install xposed, make entire backups of my phone (so if the device fails while on warranty), I can EASILY restore my phone. I had that happen with my old HTC Evo 4G LTE. That phone broke 3 times on me and each replacement bestbuy gave me (2), all I had to do was get S-OFF flash a custom recovery, and do a "Restore" then all my texts were there, apps were there (with data), call logs were there. I can go on. That $25 is security for me. So saying all that, I will sit here as patient as I can be to get S-OFF and when the time comes to hit the pay button, there wont be a second thought. No regrets. No more stress. Any more Andybones roms to flash.

BOOM (pardon all the grammatical errors, yall get my point.............right?)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The latest version of SunShine will s-off and unlock the Verizon HTC One m9. You can download it at theroot.ninja

--beaups
    Everything @Balian67 said an also one tip. Don't do any updates till you are s-off as updates could cause exploit not to work if there is a exploit released. :)

What i said and what this guy said. Friends don't let friends take updates without it being pre-rooted.

I don't know exactly how true it was, but when I first got my M8 and found out that I had to pay $25 to get S-OFF, at first I was hesitant...But I kept reading WHY and immediately understood and paid right away. It separates guys like us who pay their pledge from people who DON'T. As I am sure you would EASILY pay the $25 to get S-OFF. I know I would. I almost prefer it this way, because im pretty much sure it comes with tech support for those who need it. If only more americans stood by their word instead of promising things they would never fulfill. I know that this community has always been about contributing and free things to make all of our experiences better. I get that, but all too often, people take the work and claim it to be theirs. I remember a few devs (that I talked to a lot) had this problem with users of the Samsung Moment and HTC Evo 4G. So between all of the devs hard work not being appreciated (especially when they do this stuff for THEIR phone and they release it to us to enjoy and some people are always complaining or demanding features, yet they don't contribute by donating to the dev so they can buy energy drinks to keep their mind going, or beer to help relax them after they finished a massive update that fixed all the bugs and added features and stuff. Then people wonder why they have to pay $25. Well I have been a member of XDA for years, contributed a lot here or on irc chat, and I will gladly pay $25 to get S-OFF, Root, and Custom Recovery. Why? Because since the DAWN of xda, everyones phone has been made far better then what ANY manufacturer gives us. I mean seriously...I would have Android Lollipop on devices that Samsung or whoever has long gone moved on from. Why? Because of XDA, and the devs. I swear if everyone paid $25 these devs would be able to buy all sorts of devices to root for us. I know I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro, and an HTC. So I appreciate it, and you know what? I consider that $25 a donation to have root on devices period. Why? Because without the people who know what they're doing, I wouldn't be able to install xposed, make entire backups of my phone (so if the device fails while on warranty), I can EASILY restore my phone. I had that happen with my old HTC Evo 4G LTE. That phone broke 3 times on me and each replacement bestbuy gave me (2), all I had to do was get S-OFF flash a custom recovery, and do a "Restore" then all my texts were there, apps were there (with data), call logs were there. I can go on. That $25 is security for me. So saying all that, I will sit here as patient as I can be to get S-OFF and when the time comes to hit the pay button, there wont be a second thought. No regrets. No more stress. Any more Andybones roms to flash.

BOOM (pardon all the grammatical errors, yall get my point.............right?)
    Hi all!

Cheers,

Ren

The M8 was like this when it first came out. Yes Verizon is strict. From what I have been told they are trying to find a Temporary Root Exploit to be able to S-Off and all that goodness. We just have to be patient like the First Model M8 people were. Luckily when I first got my M8 it was rootable and stuff. So just be patient, or feel free to donate to jcase and beaups to help buy them energy drinks.
    Glad I read this thread, didn't even think about updates changing things for getting rooted and eventually S-Off!

As soon as im s-off i flash Aosp style roms and never look back....but tbh...sense isnt bugging me like touchwiz did..not that ill stay on stock sense but it isnt atrocious