Verizon Moto X Root Bounty Thread

Search This thread

JulesJam

Aug 9, 2014
No info that I saw (although I'm a complete rooting/android dev novice, so I very well may have missed something in the sea of technical jargon)
Well the Xposed installer goes in system partition so that must be baked into the image prior to flashing. Xposed modules are stored on the data partition so no root required for that.

AIUI from reading about Xposed here:

http://repo.xposed.info/module/de.robv.android.xposed.installer

the modules run in memory (RAM) and are loaded by the Xposed Installer upon boot each time you boot. So no matter what on each reboot, Xposed has to reload the modules you have selected to use. Since the modules are stored in the data partition, all of their settings presumably must be stored there too.

The problem with Xposed and Lollipop is the move from dalvik to ART.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2015
thanks for answering my questions. i guess i'll just wait till more dev gets done and hopefully the Mofo root will be as close to "one click" as possible with a nice rooted and wifi tether enabled sys img. or if someone comes up with a cadillac version of the sys img with a few more su type goodies baked in, maybe i will go with that.

JulesJam

Aug 9, 2014
thanks for answering my questions. i guess i'll just wait till more dev gets done and hopefully the Mofo root will be as close to "one click" as possible with a nice rooted and wifi tether enabled sys img. or if someone comes up with a cadillac version of the sys img with a few more su type goodies baked in, maybe i will go with that.
Well right now it hasn't been opened up to XT1096 running 4.4.4 anyhow and we don't know if it can work on 5.0 or not.

Slack3r said he would try to make a 5.0 image with the build.prop edited to have net.tethering.noprovisioning=true but until then, we don't know if this is even possible on 5.0.

JulesJam

Aug 9, 2014
This was pretty simple. Got it to root and got Hotspot to work. Thanks!
What plan are you on? Hotspot is free on More Everything plans without root. It is only on the legacy Nationwide and Alltel plans and the loyalty plans that you have to pay for MHS.

The pre-rooted 4.4.4 does not bypass the subscription check to allow for free WiFi hotspot if you have a UDP line. I know I tried it.

How safe is this root?
I answered this in the other thread I started about MoFo.

Last edited:

JulesJam

Aug 9, 2014
Hate to hijack this happy announcement but what are the chances this will work soon for the Moto G 2013 on Verizon. It's also on 4.4.4 and it sounds like it's unrootable.
It should work now but you need a pre-rooted ext4 image for your system partition. Someone has to make one.

picowoodworm

Dec 21, 2010
What plan are you on? Hotspot is free on More Everything plans without root. It is only on the legacy Nationwide and Alltel plans and the loyalty plans that you have to pay for MHS.

The pre-rooted 4.4.4 does not bypass the subscription check to allow for free WiFi hotspot if you have a UDP line. I know I tried it.

I am grandfathered Verizon unlimited. Hotspot never worked for me before. I used the Entitlement Bypass app and have hotspot now.

Reactions: JulesJam

JulesJam

Aug 9, 2014
I am grandfathered Verizon unlimited. Hotspot never worked for me before. I used the Entitlement Bypass app and have hotspot now.
Thank you!!! I didn't know there was an Entitlement Bypass app. Can you link to it?

I hand modified the build.prop but it didn't work I presumed b/c it needed reboot but of course on reboot my changes were lost. I didn't look into it any further b/c I took the OTA to 5.0.

picowoodworm

Dec 21, 2010
Thank you!!! I didn't know there was an Entitlement Bypass app. Can you link to it?

I hand modified the build.prop but it didn't work I presumed b/c it needed reboot but of course on reboot my changes were lost. I didn't look into it any further b/c I took the OTA to 5.0.

No problem. I just thought I'd give it a shot and it worked. The app actually says "failed", but it works and it shows this.

jjAzQ0H.png

Here's the link. http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/themes-apps/app-hotspot-entitlement-bypass-v1-1-5-9-t2705152

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-24-13-57-49.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-24-13-57-49.png
    135.3 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:
Reactions: JulesJam

trimax84

Sep 5, 2010

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    mofo now supports Moto X 2014 on 4.4.4. Thank @JulesJam for testing. Visit the mofo thread for more info.

5.0 will remain blocked until a valid image appears.
    Intro
    Hi, I have not done one of these before, so expect updates and refinements during the progression of this thread, and I am starting things off with $60. Feel free to contribute what you can in an effort to get root for the Verizon Moto X.

*Please limit conversations to topics pertaining directly to the subject matter at hand. This is in an effort to make it easier to track contributions and developmental progress! Anything else can be discussed elsewhere on this forum.*
    *This includes: contribution posts, questions about this bounty, updates on active development, announcements regarding completed solutions and anything related to claiming the bounty.*

Info for Patrons
    You may specify an additional amount for a bootloader unlock or root solution. If rooted, funds will be disbursed and if at a later date a bootloader solution is presented we will disburse the additional funds for that. Just for clarity sake, if you are contributing for root and a bootloader solution is presented you are obligated to pay as they have made rooting your device possible. We currently have tools to root Moto X devices with unlocked bootloaders.

Info for Developers
    I am willing to help coordinate payments for the individual that proves a successful root.
    Anonymity is optional if you would prefer it.
    Submissions should be made via PM, email (dcart6995@ung.edu) or a post in this thread.
    In order to claim the aforementioned bounty you must be the first to have rooted 22.21.11.
    Bootloader unlocks will afford you the bounty for root and bootloader as you've in essence provided the community with a root solution indirectly.
    Given the similarity between the Moto X and the DROID Turbo rajuabju and I have come to the agreement that it is likely that a root solution would likely be compatible with both devices. This means that anyone that releases a root or bootloader solution that is indeed compatible is eligible to collect both bounties! Thanks is due in part to rajuabju for his willingness to cooperate on this matter.

Bounty List:
    hotpass105 - $40 Root + $20 Bootloader
    TokedUp - $20 Root
    na2rboy - $25 Root + $25 Bootloader
    cmdoptesc47 - $20 R + $20 BL
    PPJD - $25 R + $50 BL
    jimbohurt - $20 R + 20 BL
    Syn Ack - $25 R + $50 BL
    Mayze23 - $20 R
    Nitemare15 - $25 R
    azndan2 - $10 R
    bengeo31 - $25 R
    hasamoder - $20 R + $25 BL
    zoid_99 - $25 R + $25 BL
    tacosrdelicioso - $25 R
    GrandMstrBud - $25 R
    dhoppy - $25 R + $25 BL
    rrossilva - $0 R + $25 BL
    ijotech - $125 R + $125 BL
    Michajin - $20 R + $25 BL
    hungarian - $25 R
    GatorsUF - $50 R
    JakeT85 - $25 R + $25BL
    Milly7 - $20 R
    Ricowan - $25 R
    kheltek - $50 R

Total: ($710 Root)($1000 Bootloader)
    Total (for a DROID Turbo and Moto X Solution): ($710 + $2810 + Root) ($1000 + $4240 Bootloader)

I have decided to set a collection goal. Once the pledges for rooting the device reach $5,000 and the pledges for unlocking the bootloader reach $5,000 I will no longer compile any further contributions. This will serve our community in encouraging developers to work in an expedient manner on a solution. If you have any questions, comments or concerns related to this be sure and post them here!

Link to DT Bounty : http://xdaforums.com/droid-turbo/general/bounty-unlock-bootloader-root-turbo-t2927958
    Root on 4.4.4 XT1096 Using MoFo is a Success!!!!!!

I just tested MoFo for @maiko1 on my Moto X 2014 running 4.4.4 and it is a SUCCESS!!!!!!! Attached is the root checker screen shot. I was able to modify the build.prop but of course it doesn't survive a reboot. And I used Titanium B/U to uninstall MotorolaOTA 2.0 to stop the OTA from downloading. Of course, it comes back on reboot.

And my software status shows Modified so it trips the root checker on the phone. Same thing happens with the DT so it is to be expected.

Planning on testing the image for Lollipop next!!!! Wish me luck!!!!
    If any device is a Verizon device, very doubtful Root is available.. but maybe possible..

If you'all would stop buying Verizon pitch, their "chokehold" on customers, they'd change their tune..thank goodness, after 10 years with them, I finally purchased unbranded device's.. and would NEVER go back..now I can use my devices on ANY other network..by just switching the SIM card..and reboot..

I spent lots of time and money, Rooting and Unlocking bootloaders on Verizon's branded devices, not anymore..

Exclusive Moto user since 1989..
    XT1045 Moto G 4G LTE (1st Gen.) #1
    http://waynekent.com/page6.html
    "Praise Jah" YOU people.!

Do not take this the wrong way but I actually am tired of that type of comment. People like you act as if others are sheep and are just too stupid to leave Verizon. For you apparently other carriers are an option where you live and for how you travel but it might not be the best option for all. I would love to get an unlocked GSM phone then go to whatever carrier promises me the deal of the day...but the reality is i need network coverage. Verizon has the best nationwide coverage. Until AT&T can match that I am stuck. T-Mobile sure talks a great game but their network coverage is pure crap. At the end of the day I weigh what I want most out of a phone....and thats network coverage. A phone does me no good if i can unlock and root it if I am unable to use it. That still doesnt prevent me from hoping someone does find a way to root and unlock the device on Verizon. We all know its a slim chance but its worth the hope. I just ask that you think about those situations before you start blasting "you'all" for sticking with Verizon.