Google Play store stopped working after Google Play Services v7.3.29 update

Search This thread

lowbee

Oct 14, 2014
Per subject title, Google Play store stopped working after Google Play Services v7.3.29 update
Anyone else seeing this ?

porkenhimer

Apr 9, 2009
I also had problems with Google Play Services 3.29. Not only did it not work, but it messed up all apps that used location services. Another weird thing was that when I would reboot that after a minute the blue light on the front would start pulsing for around five minutes then stop. To fix this all you have to do is install 7.0.99. I tried downloadin 7.0.99 from the web and it always got parse errors so I just transfed it for my cell. 7.0.99 is the latest version that works properly on the Fire TV. All versions after 7.0.99 did not work correctly for me. I am just gonna keep Google Services updated with the same update from my cell, cause that seems to work for me.

Last edited:

lowbee

Oct 14, 2014
How do you stop v7.0.99 from automatically update to v7.3.29 ?

I uninstalled v7.3.29 and install v7.0.99, it works for a while then auto upgrade it back to v7.3.29. I have auto update disabled and that doesn't seem to be able to stop it

lowbee

Oct 14, 2014
So I uninstalled Google Play Services v7.3.29 and DID NOT replace it any previous version AND
My Play store started working again. I rebooted a few times to make sure it is no fluke and the Play store still works

so the workaround for me is to remove Google Play Services entirely from FireTV

porkenhimer

Apr 9, 2009

I uninstalled v7.3.29 and install v7.0.99, it works for a while then auto upgrade it back to v7.3.29. I have auto update disabled and that doesn't seem to be able to stop it

I do not use the Play Store, cause I am not rooted, but I never auto update any apps on any droid device. I actually use 1Mobile Market, Aptoide and Mobogenie to keep as updated n my Fire TV, but I update apps one at a time. They all say I need to update Google Play Services, but I choose not to udate and it doesn't update. You are gonna need to have Play Servics installd or apps like Gmail will no longer work. The lates Gmail requires that you have 7.0.99+ instlled or it will not work.

KLit75

Jun 29, 2014
So I uninstalled Google Play Services v7.3.29 and DID NOT replace it any previous version AND
My Play store started working again. I rebooted a few times to make sure it is no fluke and the Play store still works

Wow! I was VERY skeptical but it really was that simple! I just assumed google play services was essential but it works now...Thanks!

Sizzlechest

Dec 18, 2010
Works for me, but now "Market Helper" won't work without the Google Framework. I don't know if that matters.

Axecaster

Jan 23, 2011
Works for me, but now "Market Helper" won't work without the Google Framework. I don't know if that matters.

For me, Market Helper seemed to change what version of the YouTube app was available. (Tablet vs Android TV). However, the Android TV version updated at a certain point and did not want to cooperate as nicely. Needed to downgrade that one.

johnjay829

Sep 6, 2007
Off topic but I have been trying to get the playstore installed on my rooted aftv. Have tried several methods including renaming the files with no spaces. Everything seems to install fine but when I try to login under existing I get error that my email or password is incorrect and new login just goes back to choosing existing or new account page

shutterslaps

Feb 6, 2015
Per subject title, Google Play store stopped working after Google Play Services v7.3.29 update

Wow! I was VERY skeptical but it really was that simple! I just assumed google play services was essential but it works now...Thanks!

So I deleted Google Play Services and that did work, however some of my apps wouldn't work without it installed. So I re-installed Google Play Services and figured out how to keep it from updating.

First thing I did was:
go into the AFTV Settings (the one it came with)
go to APPLICATIONS, then APP STORE, and turn click on AUTOMATIC UPDATES so it says OFF.
(I don't know if that's only for Amazon's Appstore, but it's part of what I did.)

Then, open Google Play and:
Tap the hamburger icon (three horizontal lines) on the top-left.
Tap Settings.
Tap Auto-update apps.
To disable automatic app updates, select Do not auto-update apps.

So far, Google Play Services has not updated!! I can post the Settings.apk and Google Play Services v7.3.29.apk if anyone needs it.

edit:added words

Reactions: Annunneo and KLit75

shutterslaps

Feb 6, 2015
So I checked the AFTV today, and it looks like it did update.

However, my Google Play Store IS working!!

I just realized in my post that I said I would post v7.3.29, which is in fact the updated version. I can give you the same exact one that's on my system if you want to see if that works for you.

porkenhimer

Apr 9, 2009
So I deleted Google Play Services and that did work, however some of my apps wouldn't work without it installed. So I re-installed Google Play Services and figured out how to keep it from updating.

First thing I did was:
go to APPLICATIONS, then APP STORE, and turn click on AUTOMATIC UPDATES so it says OFF.
(I don't know if that's only for Amazon's Appstore, but it's part of what I did.)

Tap Settings.
Tap Auto-update apps.

So far, Google Play Services has not updated!! I can post the Settings.apk and Google Play Services v7.3.29.apk if anyone needs it.

I already posted that 7.0.99 is the newest version that works with the fire TV. Any version with a higher version number does not work correctly. 7.3.29, causes problems with apps that use location services and causes the light on the front to start pulsing about a minute after each reboot. My guess is that some of the versions with version numbers higgher than 7.0.99 are made for devices that have much different specs than the Fire TV therefore they do not work as they should. I have tried every version from 7.0.99 on and 7.0.99 is the only version that functions as it should. I got my 7.0.99 version from my Galaxy Note and transfered it to my Fire TV and it works perfectly. Maybe people should check their phone or tablet and see which version of Google Play Services they are running, if its 7.0.99, transfer it to your Fire TV and it should be fine, but do not update past 7.0.99 or it will not function correctly. 7.0.99 and 7.3.29 are actually the same version of Google Play Services, but since Google Play Services is device specific they have different version numbers. 7.0.99 and 7.3.29 are the latest versions of Google play Service for the specific devices they are made for. There are several apps that do this, and a good example is Facebook, depending on the device you have the latest version of Facebook will have a different version number from device to device, cause hardware is different and apps are made differently depending on hardware. To see what I mean just go to the actual Play Store on your browser and look at Google Play Services and it will say latest version followed by saying varies by device, and it says the same for most apps in the play store.

Last edited:

Annunneo

Sep 17, 2013

dbdoshi

Jul 23, 2014
When i side-loaded the latest 7.0.99 from apkmirror.com it said failed older SDK, but i'll try the version you posted.

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

I just side-loaded your version and voila it works, man thanks to you my friend.

Thanks for the update. I am not sure why the APKMirror apk did not work for you. Make sure you download the version ending in "036" (the 3 numbers at the end of the file name after the dash). Quoting:

To figure out the right version of Google Play services for your Android device look at the last 3 numbers in the parentheses. You'll see something like -XYZ where:

X defines Android version:

0 for Android <5.0
4 and 7 for Android >=5.0
8 for Android TV

Y defines CPU architecture:

1 for armeabi
3 for armeabi-v7a
4 for arm64-v8a
7 for x86

Z defines DPI:

0 for universal
2 for 160
4 for 240
6 for 320
8 for 480

Annunneo

Sep 17, 2013
Thanks for the update. I am not sure why the APKMirror apk did not work for you. Make sure you download the version ending in "036" (the 3 numbers at the end of the file name after the dash). Quoting:

To figure out the right version of Google Play services for your Android device look at the last 3 numbers in the parentheses. You'll see something like -XYZ where:

0 for Android <5.0
8 for Android TV

1 for armeabi
3 for armeabi-v7a
4 for arm64-v8a
7 for x86

Z defines DPI:

0 for universal
2 for 160
4 for 240
6 for 320
8 for 480

Ahh i see i now went back on the site and i see what you mean by the last 3 numbers, thanks for sharing that.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

First thing I did was:

Tap Settings.
    Tap Auto-update apps.

When i side-loaded the latest 7.0.99 from apkmirror.com it said failed older SDK, but i'll try the version you posted.

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

I just side-loaded your version and voila it works, man thanks to you my friend.

0 for Android <5.0
    8 for Android TV

1 for armeabi
    3 for armeabi-v7a
    4 for arm64-v8a
    7 for x86

Z defines DPI:

0 for universal
    2 for 160
    4 for 240
    6 for 320
    8 for 480
    Appreciate if anyone can post Google Play Services v7.0.99.apk here. Thanks.

Here you go.... This file works on my FTV.
    Just a question. Would all of these even matter if spoofing / Market Helper doesn't even work? There's barely anything useful I can get in the Play Store that's "compatible" with the FireTV
    Yes it matters, cause google apps and thousands of other apps need Google Play Services for them to run. If you do not have Google Play services and launch an app that requires it, it will not let you use the app. I am not rooted, but even if I was would not even use the Play Store on the Fire TV. I have it installed because I need to have it installed, but it does not work on my unrooted Fire TV except for behind the scenes verifictions. I use 1Mobile Market, Aptoide and Mobogenie to keep all my apps up to date and to install everything I need. I have never liked the play store. For some reason I always have problems updating apps with the Play Store, its always a slow process, but with the app stores I mentioned I have no problems at all. Third party app stores have quirks like saying theres an update when its really a downgrade, but if you pay attention to version numbers and update apps one at a time it will be fine. I have like three apps in my app stores that always say they need updated but its only because they have different signatures and the app store thinks the downgrade is actually an upgrade. If you want apps, install some third party app stores. The three I listed are probably the best. 1Mobile is the best with Aptoide a close second and Mobogenie at third. 1Mobile and Aptoide are used to install all my apps and keep them up to date while I only use Mobogenie for a couple updates because it gets some updates faster than the other two, but Mobogenie seems to only carry popular apps, while basically anything can be found in the other two stores. Mobogenie also has builtin tools like a cleaner.