ฺBattery zenfone 2 better or the same.

Search This thread

kanagawaben

Apr 18, 2015
Minamiashigara
Yeah, the naming convention they've adopted on the zenfone 2 defies logic. The ZE550ML is the 720p 5.5 inch model with 2GB RAM and the 1.8ghz CPU, so less demanding than any of the full HD ZE551ML variants (2GB or 4GB, 1.8ghz or 2.3ghz). But I assume that any battery gains I'm seeing from the update will equally apply to the higher spec models.

Overandout

Feb 26, 2015
Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite
I don't know which update you installed but I just installed yet another update. Asus are truly listening and backing up their customers. The last update helped tremendously. Just installed this new one so that should help further.
Here it is:
http://www.asus.com/zentalk/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=6984&extra=page=1&mobile=2

V2.15.40.10_20150425

Thanks for posting this, according to my phone it had last checked for OTA updates today, 30th April, but on seeing your post I did a manual check and sure enough, upgrade is ready for download...

So perhaps we shouldn't trust the automatic notifications......

Anyway, it's odd that you say that the last update helped a lot... I suppose you meant on battery use, becasue that is where the benefit I noticed came in (and that is what this thread is about!) but I think my camera got a lot worse after the last update, so I am really hoping that this update at least restores camera quality to as it was when I unboxed my phone a month ago. It was great then...

mauaus

Oct 22, 2010
My phone never goes to deepsleep on standby on the latest update, no idea what's wrong

Twotems

Feb 7, 2014
Vivo Nex
My phone never goes to deepsleep on standby on the latest update, no idea what's wrong
Use Auto Start, Boost, App freeze and most importantly App wake-up and keep awake functions. My phone sleeps great, I don't just don't like the power consumption whilst I'm browsing. And I'm using CM Browser which is supposed to be very light. Having said that, I'm yet to find a browser that doesn't drain the battery heavily. Other functions are great battery wise.

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
it's astonishing that ASUS haven't solve the battery issue yet.. either they don't know how(it's probable as the 1st gen zenphones also had battery issues!) or there's a problem with the hardware and it's now too late for them to solve it on existing phones...

was really interested in this phone but battery is awful, camera is not that good and read it heats up quite a bit when gaming and calling... so I think I will pass... oneplus one looks a better option TBH .. it's in the same price range

edit: and the bootloader is locked and developers don't seem interested in this phone; so no custom roms...

gREENNNNN

Jun 28, 2013
I have ZE550ML since this Wednesday and my battery is working as expected.. It lasts for 48 hours of normal work in my hands (6 hours of screen) with 3G active.

Reactions: Aceofzeroz

Hnk1

Dec 23, 2012
Newcastle Upon Tyne
OnePlus 5
Moto G6
it's astonishing that ASUS haven't solve the battery issue yet.. either they don't know how(it's probable as the 1st gen zenphones also had battery issues!) or there's a problem with the hardware and it's now too late for them to solve it on existing phones...

was really interested in this phone but battery is awful, camera is not that good and read it heats up quite a bit when gaming and calling... so I think I will pass... oneplus one looks a better option TBH .. it's in the same price range

edit: and the bootloader is locked and developers don't seem interested in this phone; so no custom roms...

The phone is released for about few weeks and you expect development already?
I have preordered this phone and I'm expecting a delivery by May 5.
Once the phone is released in more markets, we can surely gain more support from developers!
I have not worked with an Intel based phone so let's see what happens!

mauaus

Oct 22, 2010
Use Auto Start, Boost, App freeze and most importantly App wake-up and keep awake functions. My phone sleeps great, I don't just don't like the power consumption whilst I'm browsing. And I'm using CM Browser which is supposed to be very light. Having said that, I'm yet to find a browser that doesn't drain the battery heavily. Other functions are great battery wise.

Thanks, could you please share a bit more detail on your setup please?

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
The phone is released for about few weeks and you expect development already?
I have preordered this phone and I'm expecting a delivery by May 5.
Once the phone is released in more markets, we can surely gain more support from developers!
I have not worked with an Intel based phone so let's see what happens!
it's been out quite a while in other countries... unless all developers are from the US ... as I said not much movement in development of custom roms of this phone..(nothing in taiwanese forums where it has been out for quite some while now...)

Aceofzeroz

it's been out quite a while in other countries... unless all developers are from the US ... as I said not much movement in development of custom roms of this phone..(nothing in taiwanese forums where it has been out for quite some while now...)

The bootloader is locked as you should have probably heard by now and Asus hasn't released the unlock tool yet. That's pretty much the major reason why development hasn't started going any further yet, since the bootloader was locked for the sake of making it less likely to hard-brick our phones so early. But if you can't wait, then I advise you not bother hanging around here if all you care for is easy and fast development.:rolleyes:

It's clear that the device didn't meet your high expectations and clearly favor the OPO for currently good reasons. However, it can't be denied that with how new Asus is to the smartphone game, they're at least trying to address the issues we face with their OTA updates and Zentalk forums. Last time I heard, Cyanogen broke their ties with OnePlus, but I don't see anyone mentioning this as often.;)

It's just the initial release, and EVEN THE OPO had its own initial bugs that got fixed over time. Generally speaking, it's really, really unfair for persons to be comparing OPO that's definitely geared towards power users and devs, using CM as the base OS, against the Zenfone 2 which is being geared towards everyone, both casual and power users alike.:D:cool:

The Intel SoC also doesn't have as much dev coverage as QC, which is why we'd take a bit more time to get started. So bottom line is you and many others are comparing apples to oranges here, where the only real things to compare are the price and performance. Anyways, it's all your choice at the end and that's okay, but what's not okay is when you bash other devices without trying to understand them or their brand's efforts to help.;)

Sent from the Ace's MB865 using Tapatalk

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
The bootloader is locked as you should have probably heard by now and Asus hasn't released the unlock tool yet. That's pretty much the major reason why development hasn't started going any further yet, since the bootloader was locked for the sake of making it less likely to hard-brick our phones so early. But if you can't wait, then I advise you not bother hanging around here if all you care for is easy and fast development.:rolleyes:

It's clear that the device didn't meet your high expectations and clearly favor the OPO for currently good reasons. However, it can't be denied that with how new Asus is to the smartphone game, they're at least trying to address the issues we face with their OTA updates and Zentalk forums. Last time I heard, Cyanogen broke their ties with OnePlus, but I don't see anyone mentioning this as often.;)

It's just the initial release, and EVEN THE OPO had its own initial bugs that got fixed over time. Generally speaking, it's really, really unfair for persons to be comparing OPO that's definitely geared towards power users and devs, using CM as the base OS, against the Zenfone 2 which is being geared towards everyone, both casual and power users alike.:D:cool:

The Intel SoC also doesn't have as much dev coverage as QC, which is why we'd take a bit more time to get started. So bottom line is you and many others are comparing apples to oranges here, where the only real things to compare are the price and performance. Anyways, it's all your choice at the end and that's okay, but what's not okay is when you bash other devices without trying to understand them or their brand's efforts to help.;)

but you are speaking as if it's the first time ASUS are making phones... it's a 2nd gen zenphone and they also made padfones in the past... Cyanogenmod broke their ties with oneplus one cuz they made an exclusivity contract with another manufacturer.. If i am not wrong, oneplus one is actively supported by developers(even if it was hard to get cuz of the invite system)... and you are saying we are comparing apples to orange ... oneplus one is in the same price range as the zenfone 2... Developers do not seem very interested in the zenfone 2 tbh .. in the end the phone did not deliver what it promised especially the camera.. their ads was see what others can't see... indeed you can see more noises on the photos with this camera

SBFarooq

May 1, 2015
Lahore
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro

I couldn't put better words on this myself, a very analytical response!

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

but you are speaking as if it's the first time ASUS are making phones... it's a 2nd gen zenphone and they also made padfones in the past... Cyanogenmod broke their ties with oneplus one cuz they made an exclusivity contract with another manufacturer.. If i am not wrong, oneplus one is actively supported by developers(even if it was hard to get cuz of the invite system)... and you are saying we are comparing apples to orange ... oneplus one is in the same price range as the zenfone 2... Developers do not seem very interested in the zenfone 2 tbh .. in the end the phone did not deliver what it promised especially the camera.. their ads was see what others can't see... indeed you can see more noises on the photos with this camera

I might be new here but shouldn't 64 bit be oranges to 32bit apples? Also, the tag here was the first 4gb ram and not the camera.... OPO has QC and ZF has Intel, OPO has a history of one year whereas Asus has been around forever... They're releasing updates on a bi weekly basis to address the issues which shows their interest and intent overall on this product.. I believe that the ZF would not only meet its obligations under the hype machine but will exceed them as well..

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
I couldn't put better words on this myself, a very analytical response!

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

I might be new here but shouldn't 64 bit be oranges to 32bit apples? Also, the tag here was the first 4gb ram and not the camera.... OPO has QC and ZF has Intel, OPO has a history of one year whereas Asus has been around forever... They're releasing updates on a bi weekly basis to address the issues which shows their interest and intent overall on this product.. I believe that the ZF would not only meet its obligations under the hype machine but will exceed them as well..
where does OPO come from in the discussion? it's pricey and can't really compare the budget zenfone with the premium OPO...

Hnk1

Dec 23, 2012
Newcastle Upon Tyne
OnePlus 5
Moto G6

Well, usually it takes some time to start development. Like it was released in India on 28th April. So it is still on the verge of releasing. Still it is not out officially in Europe or US. Give it some time and I am sure there would be lots of development in next year. Yes, you read it right, A YEAR i am afraid

Twotems

Feb 7, 2014
Vivo Nex
Please don't compare a 4gb, dual-sim dual active, sd slot phone to the One Plus One that has none of those features. In addition the battery is very good now, mine doesn't heat up at all, the camera is fine with me and you're an OPO troll on the wrong thread.

SBFarooq

May 1, 2015
Lahore
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
where does OPO come from in the discussion? it's pricey and can't really compare the budget zenfone with the premium OPO...

I believe that the OPO comparison was brought up by your self when 1. You stated that they're in the same price range and 2. Where the OPO was getting more development attention.. Why'd you say 2 different things in 4 different posts?

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
I believe that the OPO comparison was brought up by your self when 1. You stated that they're in the same price range and 2. Where the OPO was getting more development attention.. Why'd you say 2 different things in 4 different posts?
one plus one is not from OPO... wdf?

battery is horrible even with newest firmware... 1080p video recording = 480p upscaled.... watch geekyranjit's zenfone gaming video on youtube and tell me it does not heat up...

SBFarooq

May 1, 2015
Lahore
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
Please don't compare a 4gb, dual-sim dual active, sd slot phone to the One Plus One that has none of those features. In addition the battery is very good now, mine doesn't heat up at all, the camera is fine with me and you're an OPO troll on the wrong thread.

Hahaha, was too polite in my response but you hammered the nail deep.. ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, I used it a bit...(Z551ML 1080P, Z3580, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage)

I've been playing with my Zenfone 2 for a little while now and I have to say that so far I like it better than my LG G3. The 1080P display is sharp, super vibrant and bright, the speaker is loud, the data speeds are superb on T-Mobile here in Florida and the processor is definitely powerful. The phone is buttery smooth and zips through the home screens and apps load very quickly. For me, this phone is definitely a two handed device but so is every smartphone that I've ever had since the HD2 started the big screen phenomenon. I have the silver model and it feels great in the hand. Even though the back of the phone has those ridges in it like the G3, the back still feels smooth at the same time. I haven't experienced anything weird in the UI so far at all and Asus' ROM seems to be rock solid while still providing a couple more useful features than stock. It seems that I also won't be needing folder mount since I can move apps over to the micro SD card which is good because I have the 32 GB model.

Now for the not so Good part. From my quick analysis, the camera is serviceable. My G3 trumps it definitely but hey, the Zenfone 2 cost me almost half as much as the G3. Another disappointment is that some apps don't play so nicely on the Zenfone 2. Games such as Dead Trigger 2 and Modern Combat 5 are definitely not yet optimized for the z3580 or Moorefield in general. I'm guessing that this might be the case for some time until or unless the intel line of processors become more popular in our Android devices. I know this set up can be fine tuned since it played games such as injustice and Asphalt 8 better than my G3 ever could. I really have never seen Asphalt 8 run so smoothly on a phone before. OTG works just fine for those who might be wondering but I don't know if this phone supports video out or HDMI mirroring. I tried a slimport cable that I have with the zenfone 2 but that didn't work at all but I'm also not sure if that cable is even working to begin with. Can anyone else chime in on this? Battery Life also seems to be good so far but I have not charged it fully and also I have not yet taken it through a day yet so I can't comment on screen time and how well it performs through out a work day. Another little side note is that the chargers are different for the z550ML and the z551ML. The Z551ML has a bigger charger.
    If my G3 sounded this good through the headphone jack then I wouldn't have been introduced to the Fiio X3 just yet. Audio output seems clean and loud enough with no hissing at the loudest volume. I used a pair of Vmoda m80s and the stock media player with Michael Jackson's Chicago in flac format to do a quick test.
    Well, here are some screenshots and pics:
    Once the battery was depleted, I charged using an Aukey Quick Charger (QC2.00 charger) just to see if the phone is compatible with some of the Qualcomm specs.

11:19AM ......9%
    12:02PM.....69%
    12:19PM......82%
    1:03PM.......99% had to head off to a meeting so I couldn't get it 100%

Screen grabs attached.
    Battery has improved again. Much, much better now. It's behaving like a 3000mah phone now.

They added a function in Settings/Data usage where you can disable apps that are consuming data in the background. Not sure if that's always been in Lollipop but it's very, very useful.
    yeah, fm radio is there but there is an odd bug (still wondering if it is a bug) that will turn the volume down. one second the volume is normal then another it is down.

---------- Post added at 06:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 AM ----------

@3165dwayne

Could you test World of Tanks Blitz?
    its as smooth as butter. weird thing is that Modern Combat 5 just started working buttery smooth as well.
    Just wanted to post my final battery stats....forgot to get the a screenshot of my SOT but it was 5H39M when my phone hit 9% and nearly 2 days of run time. I'm more then happy with this performance. Z3560@1.8GHZ, 1080P screen.