Clarity - Contact thumbnails you don't mind looking at.

Search This thread

Kevin M

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 31, 2011
kmark.io
I applied the module however could not understand how it works ... You need to do something beyond activate it? The photos are not showing through.

696e1847009bddaada372fa6557eb7b8.jpg

The photos are not showing but they were before?

Reactions: Karamvir Singh

Kevin M

Jul 31, 2011
kmark.io
So is necessary run the database processor? I just installed module, turn on and restarted my Z3 stock 5.0.2.

Well, to see results immediately yes. But turning on the Xposed module should (if it's working properly) never hurt anything. Clarity is known not to work very well on stock ROMs. I would take this as it's not working. Does your Xposed log have any errors? Does turning the module off and rebooting make the contacts reappear?

Well, to see results immediately yes. But turning on the Xposed module should (if it's working properly) never hurt anything. Clarity is known not to work very well on stock ROMs. I would take this as it's not working. Does your Xposed log have any errors? Does turning the module off and rebooting make the contacts reappear?
The photo did not appear completely before applying the module. The photo is only right if I choose a new picture for the contact. I think the problem isn't with module.

Kevin M

Jul 31, 2011
kmark.io
The photo did not appear completely before applying the module. The photo is only right if I choose a new picture for the contact. I think the problem isn't with module.

Ah. If the photo did not appear there in the first place Clarity will not help with that. It just improves the quality of your contact thumbnails.

Reactions: Guto ViP

Kevin M

Jul 31, 2011
kmark.io
Here's my log:

Starting task on 2015-04-12 at 11:37:43 PM
Dimen = 256, Dry Run = true, Backups = true, Reboot = true
Cache = /data/data/com.versobit.kmark.clarity/cache
Contacts = /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts
SELinux is enforcing.
Clarity UID = 10180, Contacts UID = 10012
Copying contacts database to cache…
Copying photos to cache…
Backing up current contacts database to /storage/emulated/0/Clarity/2015-04-12--23-37-43
Opening contacts database…
Querying for contacts with photos…
1 found.
1/1: Processing contact 8777 with photo 2
Source photo is 511×512.
Contact photo is not square. Skipping.
Placing 0 new thumbnails into the contacts database…
Dry run. Not overwriting contacts database.
Contact thumbnail database upgrade completed successfully.
Soft reboot in 3 seconds…
Dry run. Not soft rebooting.
Task ended on 2015-04-12 at 11:37:47 PM

Is that enough to figure out what's going on?

Are your contact photos mostly from Google sync? Clarity is currently having issues with this.

So if we already have HD pictures on Google, will this sync those back? Because after restoring, Google only seems to load HD for your favorite contacts and the other, you'd have to go into the contact and click on them to load the HD version.

Google contacts appear to be stored differently than normal Android ones and so Clarity does not process those contacts correctly (at all). Hopefully I can find away around this issue.

@Kevin M sorry, I'm newbie here but I couldn't find anywhere to tweak the settings. It did install on my phone but i couldn't find anything in settings or in module. BTW i'm on officialy CM 5.1 (Moto g2)

Go to the Xposed installer and select Modules then tap Clarity. It'll open up the settings interface. There's an option to add a launcher icon for easy access!

Hi @Kevin M I just had a request cum suggestion.......
a big gripe that very music guy has from android is blurry album arts.....stupid google caches album art at 320 dpi and displays them even larger than the screen on the now playing page in google play music.......
Doing some research I found cached album arts are stored as randomly numbered extension less files in "android/data/com.android.providers.media/album art" and replacing them with your own image file helps.....
More research.....and I found the the database that points to these file thus editing database also helps.....
But I didn't give up so I extracted the com.android.providers.media.apk from system/app and then opened it up with apk editor pro.......

HOLLA! In the dimens.xml I found just one value
Maximum thumbnail size - 320 DPI......

Now only if you could add a little code in your module that will change that value to 600 or any user selectable value........we will solve the long standing issue 72635 of android
BLURRY ALBUM ARTS ISSUE

That's an interesting problem. In what apps does it happen?

Karamvir Singh

Feb 18, 2012
www.androbug.com
That's an interesting problem. In what apps does it happen?
Well it happens in Google play music....in Sony Walkman...(not in the latest build)....and almost all the apps that use album arts from media store instead of album art from the mp3 file......
Thanks for showing interest.....just a little price of code can solve a great problem.....

Kevin M

Jul 31, 2011
kmark.io
Well it happens in Google play music....in Sony Walkman...(not in the latest build)....and almost all the apps that use album arts from media store instead of album art from the mp3 file......
Thanks for showing interest.....just a little price of code can solve a great problem.....

And this happens for MP3 files stored locally on the device? As opposed to music uploaded to or bought on Google Play music.

I just added a MP3 file to my device with some custom album art in Google Play Music seems to use the full size. Same with CyanogenMod's stock app. I can't replicate the issue as of yet. I do not even have a /data/data/com.android.providers.media/albumthumbs directory on my device.

I am able to replicate this issue on my old Droid X2 on CM10 with Google Play Music. Still no albumthumbs.

I wasn't looking on the /sdcard which is where it seems to keep them. The thumbnail on my CM12 device is 484 square and 242 on my CM10 device. Interesting. DPI-related.

Last edited:

Karamvir Singh

Feb 18, 2012
www.androbug.com
And this happens for MP3 files stored locally on the device? As opposed to music uploaded to or bought on Google Play music.

I just added a MP3 file to my device with some custom album art in Google Play Music seems to use the full size. Same with CyanogenMod's stock app. I can't replicate the issue as of yet. I do not even have a /data/data/com.android.providers.media/albumthumbs directory on my device.

I am able to replicate this issue on my old Droid X2 on CM10 with Google Play Music. Still no albumthumbs.

I wasn't looking on the /sdcard which is where it seems to keep them. The thumbnail on my CM12 device is 484 square and 242 on my CM10 device. Interesting. DPI-related.
Yeah.....now go to /system/app/com.android.providers.media.apk.....
Then decompile the apk.....
In the dimens.xml file you'll find the value.....
Max thumbnail size....

Ps i think this has been fixed in lollipop thats why it not there on your CM12 but jellybean still has it......dont know about kitkat.

Last edited:

Kevin M

Jul 31, 2011
kmark.io
Yeah.....now go to /system/app/com.android.providers.media.apk.....
Then decompile the apk.....
In the dimens.xml file you'll find the value.....
Max thumbnail size....

Ps i think this has been fixed in lollipop thats why it not there on your CM12 but jellybean still has it......dont know about kitkat.

Thanks. I've got something working. The problem exists in all versions of Android but hits low-DPI devices especially hard.

Karamvir Singh

Feb 18, 2012
www.androbug.com
Thanks. I've got something working. The problem exists in all versions of Android but hits low-DPI devices especially hard.
No man....I should be me thanking you.....its good to have devs like you.....
PS its stupid of google to not do anything about it.....but guess that why XDA is awesome.....

PS android is gonna make the thumbnails again.....so all we need to do is change that value and then delete the album thumbs folder and if it doesnt work.....then delete the whole media store at once......all the best....

Kevin M

Jul 31, 2011
kmark.io
v1.1-93b7945

Hey guys. A new version of Clarity is now available. Below is the changelog for your convenience.

Code:
v1.1-93b7945 - 03 May 2015 - Stable
------------
This release introduces the following improvements:
* The database processor will no longer fail if contacts2.db-journal
  cannot be found. It will note the absence of the journaling file
  in the log and proceed as normal
* Will now increase the size and quality of locally stored album art.
  Suggested by @Karamvir Singh.
* An XXXHDPI icon
* Updated donation links
* Minor log bug fix
* Better shell usage
* Less condescending toast notifications

From the README on the album art fix:
When the Xposed module is activated, Clarity will also up the size of locally stored album art (for instance, MP3s on the external storage). Just like the contact thumbnail part of the module, existing album art is unaffected. To get Android to reprocess all the album art on your device you must delete all the files found in the albumthumbs directory. This is usually found somewhere on your external storage. Popular paths are /storage/emulated/legacy/Android/data/com.android.providers.media/albumthumbs and /storage/sdcard0/Android/data/com.android.providers.media/albumthumbs. Different devices and ROMs can have different paths but the last /Android/data/com.android.providers.media/albumthumbs bit should stay the same. Once that directory has been cleared out, higher quality album art will be regenerated by Android on demand (as they are needed). See Android issue 73635 for more information about the album art problem.

The first and second posts have also been updated with some helpful information like how to restore your contacts from the backups and which devices are known to be compatible / incompatible. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Kevin M

Jul 31, 2011
kmark.io
No man....I should be me thanking you.....its good to have devs like you.....
PS its stupid of google to not do anything about it.....but guess that why XDA is awesome.....

PS android is gonna make the thumbnails again.....so all we need to do is change that value and then delete the album thumbs folder and if it doesnt work.....then delete the whole media store at once......all the best....

Please let me know how the new update works for you!

wifestealer

Sep 27, 2014
New Delhi
Yo ain't working. I'm on 5.1.1 and same error was on 5.0.2

Sent from my Moto G 2014 using XDA Free mobile app

Attachments

• 1430653073131.jpg
    1430653073131.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 427

Kevin M

Jul 31, 2011
kmark.io
Yo ain't working. I'm on 5.1.1 and same error was on 5.0.2

Sent from my Moto G 2014 using XDA Free mobile app

Unfortunately the only bug fix related to the database processor in v1.1 is unrelated to the "0 photos found" issue. It is not an easy issue to replicate since I cannot ask people to send me their database as it contains private and personal information.

Karamvir Singh

Feb 18, 2012
www.androbug.com
@Kevin M its not working for me.......installed clarity and rebooted.....got bootloop......then I restored my month old backup..(loosing a lot of tasker stuff coz I couldn't find xposed disabler anywhere on my sd card...) .....then again installed clarity.....no bootloop this time.....but the phone got stuck after boot.....couldn't even get past the lock screen.....
Couldn't get a log because......there was no way......

Kevin M

Jul 31, 2011
kmark.io
@Kevin M its not working for me.......installed clarity and rebooted.....got bootloop......then I restored my month old backup..(loosing a lot of tasker stuff coz I couldn't find xposed disabler anywhere on my sd card...) .....then again installed clarity.....no bootloop this time.....but the phone got stuck after boot.....couldn't even get past the lock screen.....
Couldn't get a log because......there was no way......

Ouch! What version of Android and what ROM?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    Clarity is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
    but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
    GNU General Public License for more details.

Introduction
    Clarity is an Xposed module and root Android application for increasing the size and quality of contact thumbnails in the Android contacts database. It's comprised of two components. An Xposed modification and a root-required Database Processor.

Clarity also increases the quality and size of locally stored album art.

Xposed Mod
    Android stores two versions of contact images. The contact photo and the contact thumbnail. While both are downscaled appropriately from the original image, the two are very different in size. Contact photos clock in at around 720×720 pixels or so depending on the original image. Contact thumbnails are a measly 96×96 pixels. Contact photos are used in places where contact imagery is going to be distinctively large like the KitKat/Lollipop Phone app. Or when you receive an incoming call. Thumbnails are used for notifications, messaging applications, and other roles which the full contact photo is unnecessarily big. Unfortunately, as screen PPIs have skyrocketed since the 96×96 limit was put in place, contact thumbnails are now too small for their original purpose. Regardless, most applications continue to use contact thumbnails.

Clarity forces Android to use a user-defined size (defaulting to 256×256) when adding contact thumbnails to the database. While these new images are larger and look much better they will load slightly slower and increase memory requirements. For newer devices this should not be a problem. For reference, I have not witnessed any side effects on my Galaxy S4 using the default 256×256 setting. Since the size can be adjusted you can optimize it for your device.

In the name of simplicity, Clarity does not change the method Android uses to downscale contact thumbnails, just the final dimensions. However since Clarity allows you to increase the size of the thumbnail and consequently decrease the magnitude of the downscale, there will be noticeably fewer artifacts in your new thumbnails.

The Xposed module does not magically increase the quality of thumbnails already added in the database. It only affects newly added/updated contacts and images. To upgrade your entire contacts database either use the Database Processor detailed below or re-import the contacts. Re-importing may require you to deconnect/desync the account the contacts are associated with and then reconnect/resync the account. Some sync applications may have a force refresh option and that should work nicely. For instance, HaxSync has a Force redownload option under its contact settings.

When the Xposed module is activated, Clarity will also up the size of locally stored album art (for instance, MP3s on the external storage). Just like the contact thumbnail part of the module, existing album art is unaffected. To get Android to reprocess all the album art on your device you must delete all the files found in the albumthumbs directory. This is usually found somewhere on your external storage. Popular paths are /storage/emulated/legacy/Android/data/com.android.providers.media/albumthumbs and /storage/sdcard0/Android/data/com.android.providers.media/albumthumbs. Different devices and ROMs can have different paths but the last /Android/data/com.android.providers.media/albumthumbs bit should stay the same. Once that directory has been cleared out, higher quality album art will be regenerated by Android on demand (as they are needed). See Android issue 73635 for more information about the album art problem.

Database Processor
    In addition to the Xposed-based modification described above, Clarity includes a Database Processor. This powerful feature forcibly updates every contact thumbnail in your database. It rips out the internal contacts database file, finds all your contacts with photos and puts in new thumbnails. It'll then replace the old database with the new one. It is highly recommended to immediately reboot after processing to avoid Android going berserk. It will if you don't. :)

While powerful, the Database Processor is also extremely dangerous. I am not responsible for any damage to your device as a result of using Clarity. It performs several operations as root and modifies core Android files that were never meant to be touched by anything other than Android itself. I highly recommend a full recovery-based backup of your device alongside the built-in backup feature. Please use the dry-run feature first (hell, multiple times even) to ensure the operation will succeed for your ROM. It is possible a successful dry-run could still fail when doing the real-deal so, as I mentioned before, backup your stuff. The built-in contact backups will be saved to a Clarity folder on your "primary" external storage. What primary means depends on your ROM and device. It could be your actual external SD card or it could be an internal storage location. Regardless, the current backup location will be noted, assuming backups are enabled, in the processor's log. As an added bonus, if the backup feature is on it will also save the log file alongside your backups!

The Database Processor has been tested on CM (CyanogenMod) 10 (based on Android 4.1.2), CM 11 (based on Android 4.4.4), CM 12 (based on Android 5.0.2), and CM 13 (based on Android 6.0.1). It should work on any AOSP-based ROM from Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) to Marshmallow (6.0). For stock ROMs and anything created by carriers I have no idea. If it works for you please report back! If it doesn't, well, report that too.

Images

Features
    • Simple lightweight Xposed modification
    • Powerful database processor for forcibly updating contact thumbnails
    • Also clarifies locally stored album art
    • Should work on nearly any AOSP-based ROM like CyanogenMod
    • Free and open-source software. No nags. No data collection. No secrets.

Known Issues
    • Does not appear to work with Google-synced contact photos.
    • May not work with all devices and ROMs. See the following post.

Installation
    1. Make certain you have Xposed installed before continuing.
    2. Install the app by a) searching for it in the Xposed Installer or b) manually through the APK provided on GitHub or the Xposed website.
    3. Configure the app in its settings panel. It can be accessed through the module section of the Xposed Installer or by the launcher shortcut.
    4. Enable the module in the Xposed Installer.
    5. Reboot.
    6. Done!
    7. The Xposed module will only update contact photos that are modified or added to the database after it is turned on. The database processor will attempt to update the contact photos in place and right away. To avoid using the database processor your contact photos must be manually refreshed. How/if this can be done and how easily is dependent on how you sync your contacts. For instance, if you use HaxSync you can update all your photos by going to Settings app -> Accounts -> HaxSync -> Advanced Settings -> Contact Settings -> Check Force redownload. Hit back twice. Select your account name at the top. Click Contacts to uncheck it. Recheck it and wait for sync to finish.

Changelog
    See the GitHub repository for the definitive changelog.
    Code:
    v1.2-cfad189 - 03 Jul 2016 - Stable
    ------------
    * Added a Spanish translation
      (thanks to Jose Artuñedo @ XDA)
    * Fix a SELinux-related issue with the Database Processor
      on Marshmallow
    * Support Marshmallow's new permission system
    * Added some additional debugging info to the processor log
    * Tested on CyanogenMod 13 (Android 6.0.1)

Code:
    ------------
      Suggested by @Karamvir Singh. See [url=http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=60499753&postcount=55]this post[/url] for more
      information.
    * An XXXHDPI icon
    * Updated donation links
    * Minor log bug fix
    * Better shell usage
    Code:
    v1.0-917d899 - 25 Mar 2015 - Stable
    ------------
    Initial release. Make sure to see the README or XDA thread!

Downloads

FAQ
    Q: Something went horribly wrong! How do I restore from one of the backups?
    A: Ouch! Clarity stores backups on your "external storage." Depending on your device and ROM this could be an actual SD card or internal. If your device has two check both. It will be in a directory named Clarity. In the Clarity backup directory there will be sub-directories with dates. Select the one before everything went to hell. You'll find up to three files: contacts2.db contacts2.db-journal, and dbprocessor.log The .db file(s) are the actual contacts databases. The dbprocessor.log is your log file and has lots of great information for us to use. Now that we have located everything we need let's get restoring.

Method #1 - By hand
    If your device still boots and you can navigate around (even if things are crashing every few seconds) try this. If you have a custom recovery that supports adb then this will work as well if you boot into it.
    1. Grab the adb command line tool. For Windows check here. For Linux and Mac see here.
    2. Now put your device in debug mode. Go to the settings app. Tap About phone. Keep tapping Build number until it says you are a developer. Go back and select Developer options. Turn the development options "on" if needed. Under Debugging turn on Android debugging.
    3. Now connect your device to your computer. It should say something about debugging being enabled in the status bar. Make certain your phone is unlocked. If it says something about allowing the computer debug access to your phone please accept it.
    4. Open up a command line or terminal. On Linux I'm going to assume you know what to do. On Mac it's the Terminal app. On Windows it's C:Windowssystem32cmd.exe
    5. Type adb version and hit enter. If your get something about it being not found then adb isn't installed in your PATH or you're not in the directory in which adb was extracted. You can navigate to that directory with the cd command. So to navigate to the system32 folder on Windows, for instance, I'd type cd C:Windowssystem32 and hit enter.
    6. Type adb shell and hit enter. This will dump us into a shell instance directly on your device.
    7. Type id and hit enter. If the first bit is not uid=0 then unlock your device and type su and hit enter. If your device prompts for superuser access please grant it.
    8. Navigate to the directory in which your backups are stored on your device. For me this would be something like cd /storage/emulated/legacy/Clarity/2015-Something
    9. You should now see the backup files if you type ls and hit enter. Great. Now to move these into place.
    10. Open your dbprocessor.log file on your device through a file manager or move it onto your computer to read its contents. You can read it through the command line if you wish but it's much more convenient to be able to copy and paste if needed.
    11. Note the Contacts UID and Contacts directory. Mine is 10006 and /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts respectively.
    12. Execute cp contacts2.db /your/contacts/directory/databases/contacts2.db and hit enter. For me this full command is cp contacts2.db /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/databases/contacts2.db
    13. If you have a contacts2.db-journal file do the same except with that file. For me this is: cp contacts2.db-journal /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/databases/contacts2.db-journal
    14. Now to correct the permissions. Type chown +UID:+UID /your/contacts/directory/databases/contacts2.db* and hit enter. For me this is chown +10006:+10006 /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/databases/contacts2.db*
    15. Reboot immediately by typing reboot and hitting enter.
    16. All done. Your contacts database has been restored.

Method #2 - Recovery
    Took a backup with your custom recovery before processing? Just restore from the backup to get your device back to normal.

Credits

Licensing
    Copyright © 2015-2016 Kevin Mark. Clarity is licensed under the GNU General Public License, Version 3, which can be found in LICENSE.md

Clarity is developed in my spare time and will always remain free and open-source software. If you find this application useful please feel free to donate.

XDA:DevDB Information
    Clarity, Xposed for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    Kevin M
    Source Code: https://github.com/kmark/Clarity

Xposed Package Name: com.versobit.kmark.clarity

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: v1.2-cfad189
    Stable Release Date: 2016-07-03

Created 2015-03-25
    Last Updated 2016-07-23
    Clarity

ROM Compatibility
    Clarity should work with CyanogenMod and other closely AOSP-based ROMs. Other ROMs like the stock ones found on most popular Android devices may not work with Clarity. If you have a device or ROM that Clarity works or does not work with (and is not already on the below list) please tell me!

LG G2
    • CyanogenMod 12

LG G3
    • SkyDragon (Lollipop)

Motorola Droid X2
    • CyanogenMod 10

Nexus 6
    • Temasek

OnePlus One
    • BlissPop 2.2
    • Temasek 5.0.2

Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100
    • CyanogenModX 5.0.2

Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    • CyanogenMod 12 (3/24 nightly)
    • Stock (doesn't work? try this)

Samsung Galaxy S4
    • CyanogenMod 11
    • CyanogenMod 12
    • CyanogenMod 13

Xperia J
    • Xperia Revolution ROM

ROM Incompatibility
    Moto X (2013)
    • Stock (Android 4.4)
    Looks Promising !!!!

Thank you. The application is now available.
    Thank you for the bug reports. I have 6.0.1 on my test device now and I'll be looking into the issue when I can. Unfortunately I have no plans to widen support to devices/ROMs that have heavily modified their contacts system. If it almost works on a given device we can try to work it out but no promises. ;)
    v1.1-93b7945

Hey guys. A new version of Clarity is now available. Below is the changelog for your convenience.

Code:
    ------------
      Suggested by @Karamvir Singh.
    * An XXXHDPI icon
    * Updated donation links
    * Minor log bug fix
    * Better shell usage

From the README on the album art fix:

The first and second posts have also been updated with some helpful information like how to restore your contacts from the backups and which devices are known to be compatible / incompatible. Enjoy.