Huawei Honor 4x Che2-L11 Q&A

Search This thread

foo9001

Jun 1, 2013
Please note: This thread is specific to the Che2-L11 model Honor 4x​
For discussion pertaining to the Che1-L04 model click here.

:confused: Because there are some significant differences between the Honor 4x variants information can get confusing quite easily, therefore I decided to start a thread dedicated to the Che2-L11.

:good: Any information or discussion is welcome as long as it is about this particular model.

:fingers-crossed: Since the device is still relatively fresh, information is scarce. I will try to update and expand this post as we discover the possibilities of our shiny new phone.

Rooting the Che2-L11
There are currently no known tools or exploits that can be used to gain root under the stock firmware. Unlocking the bootloader will allow full access to the device, however at this time there are no known working custom recoveries or roms.

The official Huawei unlock page doesn't support it as of yet, neither by editing the product model information on that page like it works for some other models. Instead you can send an e-mail to mobile@mail01.huawei.com and provide the same information as requested on the unlock page.

Once you obtain the correct unlock code you can follow the unlocking procedure. Be careful when experimenting with recoveries or roms intended for other or similar models, they may brick or damage your device.

SD Cards >32GB
Although not officially supported, 64GB cards seem to work fine. The phone will recognise and use their full capacity automatically. It will most likely support 128GB cards as well but this is not yet confirmed.

Model numbers
The Honor 4x is being sold under several different model numbers divided into two basic groups: Che1 and Che2. Che stands for Cherry.

Che1 is based on the Snapdragon 410 chipset: Che1-CL10 (China/Telecom), Che1-CL20 (China/Netcom), Che1-L04 (India/Flipkart) and Che1-UL00.

Che2 is based on the Kirin 620 chipset: Che2-L11 (Europe), Che2-L12, Che2-L23, Che2-TL00, Che2-TL00H, Che2-TL00M and Che2-UL00.

Last edited:

samusalo

Mar 12, 2009
Send email to mobile@mail01.huawei.com with the model type (Che2-L11), IMEI1, S/N and Product ID and they will send you the unlock code.

I got mine within an hour after sending the email :) Happy rooting!

Last edited:

samusalo

Mar 12, 2009
The reply also came from mobile@mail01.huawei.com so that must be the correct address. Just quickly tried the CWM made for Che2-TL00. It did boot once, but backup job crashed the phone and the recovery didn't boot anymore. Just flashed the stock recovery back

Have to try again this evening when I have more time.

hugoprh

Dec 3, 2010
tried mobile@mail01.huawei.com and mobile@huawei.com and did not receive a reply yet, it has been 2 days =( shame, really want to try new stuff on this phone, it was going to be my side project to try and port CM12 to my 4X CHE2-UL00, buy with a locked bootloader nothing I can do =(

Any other ideas where can I unlock my bootloader?

vandast

May 7, 2015
Lollipop Update

I've asked Honor Europe about the lollipop update (5.x) for the Che2-L11. Here's the answer:
Thank yo for your message, It is not yet been planned for Q2, however we are working on the update to launch it soon. Stay tuned for more information. Honor Europe

So, we have to wait Q3 or Q4(!?).... maybe they update directly to 5.1?

BTW: Really need a root to install Link2SD. This would solve the (small) 8gb storage problem. Someone tried oneclick and other root tools to root the Honor 4x?

dragonguy

Jun 22, 2010
I just bought the phone not longer, I also want to root the phone.
Can you guys help me how to root the phone? Thanks!

samusalo

Mar 12, 2009
Did you notice that you can change the preferred storage location to sdcard?

I have >3GB of apps installed and still over 1GB free internal storage. I can say I am a heavy user of different apps, and with a decent sd card (Samsung Pro U1 32GB), I have no problems to manage with the 4X, if compared to my other phones.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-09-11-51-31.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-09-11-51-31.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 3,070
  • Screenshot_2015-05-09-11-55-07.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-09-11-55-07.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 3,016
Last edited:

weisian

Jul 28, 2007
Unlock bootloader for Honor 4X (Che2-L11)
a) Request your bootloader unlock code from huawei by sending email to mobile@huawei.com
Provide following info
Mobile Model: Honor 4X Che2-L11
MEID/IMEI:
S/N:
Product ID:
(to get your product id, enter *#*#1357946#*#*. An 8-digit ID is then displayed)

Patiently wait for 2-3 days, you will received 16-digit number from the return email

b)Download the following files:
i) Adb fastboot tools + ClockworkMod Recovery for Honor 4x + Honor 4x (che2-L11) original recovery:
Note: Get the file from post #10
ii) SuperSU by chainfire : UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.14.zip

iii) Connect honor 4x to your pc and install HiSuite

c)Preparing the phone
-Enable ‘Developer options’ (Settings > About phone > tap on ‘Build number’ until it’s enabled)
-Go to ‘Developer options’ and enable ‘USB debugging’
-Connect Honor 4x to PC (with HiSuite successfully connected)
-Extract zip file downloaded from b) i) to a folder (e.g. adbtools)
-Run cmd to get into command prompt from PC and change directory to adbtools
-On the Command Prompt window type ‘adb devices’, and it will list down device serial number, with a word device following behind.
-Type ‘adb reboot bootloader’ to kick the phone into Fastboot mode. You will see that your phone boot into a white screen with android robot with the words 'Phone Locked' (in blue)
-Type ‘fastboot oem unlock unlockingpassword’, where ‘unlockingpassword’ is the 16-digit number you’ve obtained earlier
-If successful, the phone’s screen will now show ‘PHONE Unlocked’ in red
-Reboot the phone to make sure everything runs ok.

Flashing custom recovery for Honor 4X (Che2-L11)
To root your phone, you need to flash a custom recovery to it.
-Same as earlier step, run cmd to get into command prompt from PC and change directory to adbtools
-Type ‘adb devices’ to make sure that your phone is properly connected.
-Type ‘adb reboot bootloader’ to kick the phone into Fastboot mode.
-Type 'fastboot flash recovery cofface_recovery_che2tl00h.img' (for Kitkat android 4.4)
-If successful, you’ll get a ‘finished’ confirmation with the time it took to complete the process.
-To confirm a successful flash, power down your phone. Then go Recovery mode (stock or CWM): Press volume up + power buttons
-In case you need to turn back to stock recovery, repeat the above steps, Type 'fastboot flash recovery recovery_offical.img' instead and reboot to your original stock recovery.

Rooting Honor 4X (Che2-L11) for KitKat Android 4.4
-Download Chainfire’s SuperSU ZIP file into the phone’s SD card
-Boot the device into Recovery mode
-Navigate into the ‘install zip from sdcard’ option,
-Find the downloaded SuperSU ZIP file, and flash it.
-Once done, reboot the Honor 4x and launch the SuperSU app, install the binaries, and reboot the phone again.
-Congratulations, your device is now rooted.

Rooting Honor 4X (Che2-L11) for Marshmallow Android 6
-Download recovery file 4C Root+TWRP by inshaalmirza@xda
Note: we are using TWRP for Honor 4C
- Extract and flash recovery as same step above using this new recovery img fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- Download this file and copy to honor4x folder
- Download supersu zip and copy to honor4x folder
- Go in TWRP recovery. Do not swipe allow modifications and choose read only for system files...... and then flash that zip file named 1.zip.
- After its done, restart your phone and if it prompt to install su, ignore it....
- Open supersu app installed in your phone and let it update its binaries...when done, reboot to recovery again and this time flash BETA-SuperSU-v2.67-20160121175247.zip
- Reboot your phone.
- Now you have successfully rooted Marshmallow
- Reference: [ROOT][MARSHMALLOW][HONOR 4C]

Final words, do this on your own risks as it voids the phone warranty.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unlock bootloader for Honor 4X (Che2-L11)
    a) Request your bootloader unlock code from huawei by sending email to mobile@huawei.com
    Provide following info
    Mobile Model: Honor 4X Che2-L11
    MEID/IMEI:
    S/N:
    Product ID:
    (to get your product id, enter *#*#1357946#*#*. An 8-digit ID is then displayed)

Patiently wait for 2-3 days, you will received 16-digit number from the return email

b)Download the following files:
    i) Adb fastboot tools + ClockworkMod Recovery for Honor 4x + Honor 4x (che2-L11) original recovery:
    Note: Get the file from post #10
    ii) SuperSU by chainfire : UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.14.zip

iii) Connect honor 4x to your pc and install HiSuite

c)Preparing the phone
    -Enable ‘Developer options’ (Settings > About phone > tap on ‘Build number’ until it’s enabled)
    -Go to ‘Developer options’ and enable ‘USB debugging’
    -Connect Honor 4x to PC (with HiSuite successfully connected)
    -Extract zip file downloaded from b) i) to a folder (e.g. adbtools)
    -Run cmd to get into command prompt from PC and change directory to adbtools
    -On the Command Prompt window type ‘adb devices’, and it will list down device serial number, with a word device following behind.
    -Type ‘adb reboot bootloader’ to kick the phone into Fastboot mode. You will see that your phone boot into a white screen with android robot with the words 'Phone Locked' (in blue)
    -Type ‘fastboot oem unlock unlockingpassword’, where ‘unlockingpassword’ is the 16-digit number you’ve obtained earlier
    -If successful, the phone’s screen will now show ‘PHONE Unlocked’ in red
    -Reboot the phone to make sure everything runs ok.

Flashing custom recovery for Honor 4X (Che2-L11)
    To root your phone, you need to flash a custom recovery to it.
    -Same as earlier step, run cmd to get into command prompt from PC and change directory to adbtools
    -Type ‘adb devices’ to make sure that your phone is properly connected.
    -Type ‘adb reboot bootloader’ to kick the phone into Fastboot mode.
    -Type 'fastboot flash recovery cofface_recovery_che2tl00h.img' (for Kitkat android 4.4)
    -If successful, you’ll get a ‘finished’ confirmation with the time it took to complete the process.
    -To confirm a successful flash, power down your phone. Then go Recovery mode (stock or CWM): Press volume up + power buttons
    -In case you need to turn back to stock recovery, repeat the above steps, Type 'fastboot flash recovery recovery_offical.img' instead and reboot to your original stock recovery.

Rooting Honor 4X (Che2-L11) for KitKat Android 4.4
    -Download Chainfire’s SuperSU ZIP file into the phone’s SD card
    -Boot the device into Recovery mode
    -Navigate into the ‘install zip from sdcard’ option,
    -Find the downloaded SuperSU ZIP file, and flash it.
    -Once done, reboot the Honor 4x and launch the SuperSU app, install the binaries, and reboot the phone again.
    -Congratulations, your device is now rooted.

Rooting Honor 4X (Che2-L11) for Marshmallow Android 6
    -Download recovery file 4C Root+TWRP by inshaalmirza@xda
    Note: we are using TWRP for Honor 4C
    - Extract and flash recovery as same step above using this new recovery img fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
    - Download this file and copy to honor4x folder
    - Download supersu zip and copy to honor4x folder
    - Go in TWRP recovery. Do not swipe allow modifications and choose read only for system files...... and then flash that zip file named 1.zip.
    - After its done, restart your phone and if it prompt to install su, ignore it....
    - Open supersu app installed in your phone and let it update its binaries...when done, reboot to recovery again and this time flash BETA-SuperSU-v2.67-20160121175247.zip
    - Reboot your phone.
    - Now you have successfully rooted Marshmallow
    - Reference: [ROOT][MARSHMALLOW][HONOR 4C]

Final words, do this on your own risks as it voids the phone warranty.
    Please note: This thread is specific to the Che2-L11 model Honor 4x​
    For discussion pertaining to the Che1-L04 model click here.

:confused: Because there are some significant differences between the Honor 4x variants information can get confusing quite easily, therefore I decided to start a thread dedicated to the Che2-L11.

:good: Any information or discussion is welcome as long as it is about this particular model.

:fingers-crossed: Since the device is still relatively fresh, information is scarce. I will try to update and expand this post as we discover the possibilities of our shiny new phone.

Rooting the Che2-L11
    There are currently no known tools or exploits that can be used to gain root under the stock firmware. Unlocking the bootloader will allow full access to the device, however at this time there are no known working custom recoveries or roms.

The official Huawei unlock page doesn't support it as of yet, neither by editing the product model information on that page like it works for some other models. Instead you can send an e-mail to mobile@mail01.huawei.com and provide the same information as requested on the unlock page.

Once you obtain the correct unlock code you can follow the unlocking procedure. Be careful when experimenting with recoveries or roms intended for other or similar models, they may brick or damage your device.

SD Cards >32GB
    Although not officially supported, 64GB cards seem to work fine. The phone will recognise and use their full capacity automatically. It will most likely support 128GB cards as well but this is not yet confirmed.

Model numbers
    The Honor 4x is being sold under several different model numbers divided into two basic groups: Che1 and Che2. Che stands for Cherry.

Che1 is based on the Snapdragon 410 chipset: Che1-CL10 (China/Telecom), Che1-CL20 (China/Netcom), Che1-L04 (India/Flipkart) and Che1-UL00.

Che2 is based on the Kirin 620 chipset: Che2-L11 (Europe), Che2-L12, Che2-L23, Che2-TL00, Che2-TL00H, Che2-TL00M and Che2-UL00.
    Somebody ported TWRP-recovery to the Honor 4C (CHM-CM00), a Phone similar to our 4X with Kirin620.
    Just like the coface-CWM recovery for Android 4.4, this TWRP-recovery also works on our 4X with Lollipop to install SuperSU and have root acces.
    I flashed it and it works, but i didn't test al features like backup etc. Just be carefull, i'm not responsible if you brick your Phone. This recovery is only for devices with Lollipop firmware, so at this moment only if you have installed the 5.1.1 Beta ROM.

Root your Honor 4X (Che2-L11) on Lollipop.
    • First of all, You should Unlock Bootloader. In post 17 on page 2 of this thread you find a tutorial to get the unlock code. If Huawei doesn't respond, maybe you can try the method of [MENTION=337852]Inshaalmirza, but i haven't tested it.
    http://xdaforums.com/general/general/honor-4c-root-twrplollipop-recovery-t3208922
    • Download the file with ADB and TWRP recovery from Google drive from member @inshaalmirza: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0iMDu5QRxNiVUpWRnRrN0tJQjg/view?usp=sharing
    • Unzip it and move the cursor on the folder ADB, hold Shift and the right mouse button and choose "Open Command Window here";

connect your phone to the PC in the "media device";
    at the command prompt and type “ADB Devices”
    then type “ADB reboot bootloader” (the device will reboot mode fastboot);

After your phone has entered bootloader mode (white screen with green android robot) you can flash the recovery:
    type “fastboot flash recovery twrp.img”
    Then type: “fastboot reboot”

This will reboot your phone.
    Now move the Root.zip file (it is in the downloaded ADB-file) to your SD-card.
    Switch of your phone and reboot it into recovery, by pressing Volume Up+Power button. Your phone boots into recovery mode, with the TeamWin screen.
    Install the root.zip file from your Sd-card, and reboot your phone. Now your phone is rooted, and you can install apps like Titanium Backup, Viper4Android and Xposed 

If You want To flash Stock Recovery again (you need it to update the original Lollipop ROM from Honor that is expected october 20), download the stock-recovery from post #151 (https://drive.google.com/folderview?...ms&usp=sharing ) en replace it in the ADB-file.
    Use these commands In Fastboot Mode:
    “fastboot flash recovery stock.img”
    and
    “fastboot reboot”

Credits to @inshaalmirza, Herath and Gizdev.com
    TWRP 3.0.2-0 for Huawei Honor 4X / 4C (based on Kirin SoC)
    I had already compiled TWRP for 4C, so I decided to compile one for 4X. This image removes the 4C CHM-U01 branding and identifies device as 'cherry'. Please test this and report bugs if any.
    Download Link: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24533103863138240

Current Bugs (not crucial):
    • Touch might not work on first boot to recovery. Simply hold the power button to forcibly reboot the device. After that, reboot back to recovery and touch will work.
    • You'll get a big red error in recovery logs regarding 3rdmodem not getting mounted due to wrong arguments. It's really a typo error by me and I'll fix it in (maybe) future releases. It's not a big crucial bug and won't affect working of the recovery.

Source Code: https://github.com/muhammadfahadbaig/android_device_huawei_cherry

I need your help :highfive:
    I am currently working on AOSP 6.0.1 for Honor 4C and Honor 4X (Kirin). The current state of the project is unknown as I'm currently doing my first build of the project (which has now failed at sepolicy errors :( ). However, I need all the help I can get. If you have the knowledge about building, I would be really happy if you could help me in getting a pure AOSP experience on our device. Here is the GitHub repo for all people who're interested: https://github.com/HuaweiHonor4C/android_device_huawei_cherry
    Hello. I'm atom1248 from 4pda. I'll post RR updates on xda too.
    I can't post outside links, so visit my home page at 4pda
    RR-N-v5.8.4-20170827-cherryplus-Nightly-b84
    * update kernel to 3.10.107
    * small RR repo updates