[How-to]flash Android M Preview -without- wiping your Userdata or Force Encrypt

Was this method Helpful for you?

• Total voters
Search This thread

D3VI0US

Nov 19, 2011
Google just released the M preview for the Nexus 6 and I see some guys having some issues with flashing the preview, So what I did is just modify on the kernel not to encrypt the device during the first boot

and here is the simplest way to flash the preview

1-Download the preview factory image http://developer.android.com/preview/download.html
2-download this modified version of the stock M boot img https://goo.gl/SFWpMO
3-unpack the M preview .tgz file in your fastboot/adb folder and you will get the radio file and the bootloader file and the image-shamu-MPZ44Q.zip file
4-go to TWRP backup your ROM then wipe cache/dalvic/data/system ( watch out don't wipe the internal storage)
5-boot into bootloader and flash the bootloader : fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-shamu-moto-apq8084-71.11.img
6-fastboot reboot-bootloader
7-flash the radio file : fastboot flash radio radio-shamu-D4.01-9625-05.16+FSG-9625-02.94.img
8-fastboot reboot-bootloader
9-Unpack the image-shamu-MPZ44Q.zip file
10-you need just system.img from this file
11-flash the system : fastboot flash system system.img
12-flash the modified boot img that you downloaded in step 2 : fastboot flash boot boot-noencryption.img/B]
13-fastboot reboot

You also use NRT for flashing the M Preview if you prefer but flash the noencrption boot img instead of the stock img in order to avoid encrypting your device

It won't take time to boot but it's really important to wipe from twrp before flashing and as always try this on your own risk

Last edited:

bonbon363

Nov 19, 2009
Google just released the M preview for the Nexus 6 and I see some guys having some issues with flashing the preview, So what I did is just modify on the kernel not to encrypt the device during the first boot

1-Download the preview factory image http://developer.android.com/preview/download.html
3-unpack the M preview .tgz file in your fastboot/adb folder and you will get the radio file and the bootloader file and the image-shamu-MPZ44Q.zip file
4-go to TWRP backup your ROM then wipe cache/dalvic/data/system ( watch out don't wipe the internal storage)
5-boot into bootloader and flash the bootloader : fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-shamu-moto-apq8084-71.11.img
7-flash the radio file : fastboot flash radio radio-shamu-D4.01-9625-05.16+FSG-9625-02.94.img
12-flash the modified boot img that you downloaded in step 2 : fastboot flash boot boot-noencryption.img/B]
13-fastboot reboot

It won't take time to boot but it's really important to wipe from twrp before flashing and as always try this on your own risk

Good guide, Flashed w/o ANY problem. Thanks a bunch

stevew84

Oct 21, 2010
Google Pixel 3
Why do I keep getting hung up at "writing system"

keeps saying sending sparse system but then cannot complete the flashing of the system.img...not sure why.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

13-fastboot reboot

You also use NRT for flashing the M Preview if you prefer but flash the noencrption boot img instead of the stock img in order to avoid encrypting your device

Not since the 1st grade was I ever asked anything close to the question "did you even read anything at all?"

Of course I read it, if I hadn't, why would I ask about the modified boot image?

I missed the part about encryption. I'm very sorry if that offended you. Thanks for letting me know what the modified boot image does.

Not to make you feel like you are being ganged up on, but the OP did answer your question in the very first sentence of the initial post in this thread. Had you taken the time to read the very first sentence after entering the thread, you would have had your answer.

I don't want to sound like an ass but this forum is completely SWAMPED with people who can't seem to be bothered by reading a single OP thoroughly. I'd argue that if everyone on this forum took an additional 10-20 seconds to properly read/comprehend a thread's initial post, over 75% of the posts on this entire forum wouldn't exist.
    What is the modified boot.img? Why is it modified?

Did you even read anything at all?

He has modified so it does not force encrypt for those who have unencrypted internal SD cards.
    How do one activate doze mode?

You don't activate it, it's coded into Android M....
    Can't wait to flash thanks!!