[Unlock Bootloader,Install TWRP,Root Guide] H815EU-ONLY

Search This thread

SAO

Oct 4, 2007
edit : As of today - 28th June, this method ONLY works on the H815 EU models
update 26th July : Please go check the dream team's ROOT thread located here : [ROOT] TMO/VZW/ATT/SPRINT/INTL Root your LG G4 with Low Effort Root!
Thanks @thecubed , @autoprime , @IllegalArgument & @jcase for their hard work

Hi guys, a quick step by step guide to how I was able to unlock, install TWRP and Root my H815. Please don't hold me responsible if any issues arise with your phone. If you do this, you take your own responsibilities.

I tend to download all the tools in a single folder so it is easier to manage.

The LG Site:
1. go to this LINK and register.
2. you will get a confirmation email.
3. go to this LINK to unlock your bootloader (you will find the information on how to get your IMEI and Device ID lower in the post)

Your PC :
1. Be sure to have the LG drivers (i connected my phone first, it automatically installed the drivers on the computer.
update 27th July : thanks @the_scotsman in case you have driver issues please download these provided by @autoprime : LGUnitedMobile_Win_Driver_Ver_3.14.1
2. Be sure you have installed the ADB stuff that can be found here : Minimal ADB & Fastboot & ADB Installer (type Y to all the questions asked)
Install Minimal ADB first. Then type Y to all the questions the ADB installer asks. Close both windows once done.

Download TWRP 2.8.7. for H815:
1. go to this LINK and download it. Add it to your folder

Download SuperSu 2.46:
1. Download SuperSu 2.46 HERE (thanks @Chainfire ) and add it to your folder

PC & G4 love :
Once you are sure you have completed all the above tasks start rolling :
A. Enter your IMEI on the LG page
- you can find your IMEI on the G4 by going to settings > about phone > status
B. Get your Device ID:
1. hook up your LG on your PC (be sure not to be locked on your lockscreen, That USB debugging is checked and OEM checked in the Developer Options)
2. launch your CMD and type:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
your phone will reboot
3. type this to get your Device ID
Code:
fastboot oem device-id
4. You will see two lines of number. Copy them and paste them together (to make one line) in the the Device ID fields on the LG site.
5 type :
Code:
fastboot reboot
5. close CMD
5. click Confirm on the site and you will receive by email a file called : unlock.bin.

Unlocking your bootloader:
1. once you get your LG email, save the unlock.bin in your folder
2. launch CMD from the folder (hold shift, right click the folder)
3. in CMD type :
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
4. once your phone is rebooted in bootloader type :
Code:
fastboot flash unlock unlock.bin
5. then reboot your phone by typing :
Code:
fastboot reboot
Normally your phone now has it's bootloader unlocked. When it boots you should see a message on the top left of the screen saying that.

COPY SuperSu and the downloaded TWRP file onto your phone (i put it in the download folder in the phone, not the SD) so you are ready for the next steps

Booting TWRP via ADB and bootloader mode
I personally think this was the easiest way to be able to root and clean install TWRP. Be sure your TWRP is in the folder.
1. Launch CMD from the folder (hold shift, right click the folder)
2. type (again) :
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
3. once your phone reboots and is in bootloader mode type :
Code:
fastboot boot TWRP2861.img
the new name of the file
or
Code:
fastboot boot p1.img
if you didn't rename it.
4. now you will reboot into TWRP.

Installing SuperSu
1. once you are in TWRP click install and go find your SuperSu file.
2. Swipe to install.
3. Once installation is done, reboot to system.

Once you have rebooted into the OS you will find the SuperSu app. Download the TWRP manager just to have it handy. And now i would install the TWRP file you have copied on your phone with flashify. I think it's a great tool.
2 ways to do it:
1. locate the file, click on it and choose to open with flashify then choose recovery and follow the steps
2. find the file via flashify and install.
(Don't download TWRP for H815 in the TWRP manager or Flashify as they are not fixed by @wolfgart (correct me if I am wrong))

once all this done and rebooted. Your phone will have TWRP and would be Rooted. Choose the TWRP manager to boot into recovery when you want.

I preferred to reboot the phone every time just to be sure...

If you have any comments, or i wrote something wrong, don't hesitate to correct me.

Have fun

UPDATE : Thanks to @autoprime you can also update your H815 EU to the latest Stock ROM : 10C (don't forget to thank him, as those guys are working hard to make your life easier!)

@the_scotsman, maybe you can pin this to help the lost souls until a one app does it all appears?

Last edited:

pcoulson

Apr 11, 2011
UK, Cumbria
I read the LG boot unlock affects streaming services. Can you tell me if it's still possible to stream music from the google play music app, and also YouTube ? Cheers.

SAO

Oct 4, 2007
Forgive me if im mistaken but there are already like 3 threads about this i believe.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I have seen threads discussing about it yes, but haven't seen a clear guide on "how to" do it. Please enlighten me and i will ask this thread to be deleted. I don't like multi threads on the same subject, so i would be the first to ask that this thread be deleted.

I read the LG boot unlock affects streaming services. Can you tell me if it's still possible to stream music from the google play music app, and also YouTube ? Cheers.

I haven't had any issues with DRM, Camera or netflix streaming

Reactions: Peshyy and pcoulson

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
I have seen threads discussing about it yes, but haven't seen a clear guide on "how to" do it. Please enlighten me and i will ask this thread to be deleted. I don't like multi threads on the same subject, so i would be the first to ask that this thread be deleted.

Yeah there arent any other guide, just threads discussing it. It just seems a lot since the LG site is pretty clear and self explanatory.

Eclap78

Account currently disabled
Jun 8, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
I'm stuck on "fastboot oem device-id" command in cmd. Everything up to that point goes smoothly.

command line says "waiting for device" and the phone screen doesn't show phone ID, but gives me options 1-3. 1 being to show device ID, can't remember what the other ones are now. But I can't select "1". What am I doing wrong?

I have USB debugging on, also the OEM unlock is checked in development options.

Last edited:

SAO

Oct 4, 2007
I'm stuck on "fastboot oem device-id" command in cmd.

command line says "waiting for device" and the phone screen doesn't show phone ID, but gives me options 1-3. 1 being to show device ID, can't remember what the other ones are now. But I can't select "1". What am I doing wrong?

unplug your device, if you can't restart it, by keeping your finger pressed for 10 seconds on the power button, take battery out.

Once you put the battery back in, restart the phone, plug in the phone in the computer, restart the CMD, and start the procedure again. :

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
your phone will reboot
Code:
fastboot oem device-id

Eclap78

Jun 8, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
unplug your device, if you can't restart it, by keeping your finger pressed for 10 seconds on the power button, take battery out.

Once you put the battery back in, restart the phone, plug in the phone in the computer, restart the CMD, and start the procedure again. :

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
your phone will reboot
Code:
fastboot oem device-id

I've tried this a few times now, same outcome, same thing, don't get a code, only get the 3 options and the power off 10 second thing, which doesn't work btw, have to pull battery every time :(

SAO

Oct 4, 2007
The numbers should show on your CMD window on your computer not the phone.
If the CMD window only shows "waiting for device", did you try to shut the CMD windows?

Eclap78

Jun 8, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
The numbers should show on your CMD window on your computer not the phone.
If the CMD window only shows "waiting for device", did you try to shut the CMD windows?

ah, thought they were supposed to show on the phone screen.

not sure what you mean by shutting the cmd window? I just get stuck on that "waiting for device" message in cmd, at which point I unplugged the phone, did a battery pull and tried again. I've tried about 5 times now, I double checked everything, have all the drivers installed etc.

Oh, and I do have the h815 EU version of the G4. I'll keep digging.

Pyrres

Mar 31, 2014
Could someone try out netflix, camera, divx files, YouTube and all the things that people were afraid of loosing. I for myself would really like to root but I dont want to loose any functions by doing that.

SAO

Oct 4, 2007
Could someone try out netflix, camera, divx files, YouTube and all the things that people were afraid of loosing. I for myself would really like to root but I dont want to loose any functions by doing that.

I have no issues with Netflix, divx, camera or YouTube.

AhsanU

Sep 27, 2013
NYC
Just a reminder that this does not work with all H815's as of 6/5/15. I think those of us that got a non EU region specific H815's get stuck when requesting a bootloader unlock from LG. Most of us are getting "not found suffix" when trying to submit the IMEI# and device ID. Note: trying different internet browsers does nothing, so don't bother.

We'll have to wait for LG to either approve all region G4's or another method. Cheers for making a guide though.

Reactions: SAO

SAO

Oct 4, 2007
Just a reminder that this does not work with all H815's as of 6/5/15. I think those of us that got a non EU region specific H815's get stuck when requesting a bootloader unlock from LG. Most of us are getting "not found suffix" when trying to submit the IMEI# and device ID. Note: trying different internet browsers does nothing, so don't bother.

We'll have to wait for LG to either approve all region G4's or another method. Cheers for making a guide though.

Thanks for the heads up.. i have put this in red in the first post.

BFruchtfliege

Jul 13, 2012
Berlin
I'm stuck on "fastboot oem device-id" command in cmd. Everything up to that point goes smoothly.

I have USB debugging on, also the OEM unlock is checked in development options.

Got the same Problem and fixed it, because, that are restriction/Firewall/Domaincontroler/Groupright Problems on ur PC.
Here the link, were i short explain my problem. http://xdaforums.com/g4/general/howto-unlock-twrp-root-1-thread-t3130538

And now i see there is a HOWTO Thread :(
SO i have doubled it :crying:
But same answers like here "we got like 5 Threads", but like u said @SAO NOT 1Thread were all-in-one is explained! :good:

Enddo

Oct 31, 2013
Atlanta, Ga.
www.youtube.com
Is there a reason why we have to temporarily boot into TWRP to install root and then install TWRP via a secondary method?

Like, why can't we just do a "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img" command to install TWRP like most other devices with an unlocked bootloader?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    edit : As of today - 28th June, this method ONLY works on the H815 EU models
    update 26th July : Please go check the dream team's ROOT thread located here : [ROOT] TMO/VZW/ATT/SPRINT/INTL Root your LG G4 with Low Effort Root!
    Thanks @thecubed , @autoprime , @IllegalArgument & @jcase for their hard work

Hi guys, a quick step by step guide to how I was able to unlock, install TWRP and Root my H815. Please don't hold me responsible if any issues arise with your phone. If you do this, you take your own responsibilities.

I tend to download all the tools in a single folder so it is easier to manage.

The LG Site:
    1. go to this LINK and register.
    2. you will get a confirmation email.
    3. go to this LINK to unlock your bootloader (you will find the information on how to get your IMEI and Device ID lower in the post)

Your PC :
    1. Be sure to have the LG drivers (i connected my phone first, it automatically installed the drivers on the computer.
    update 27th July : thanks @the_scotsman in case you have driver issues please download these provided by @autoprime : LGUnitedMobile_Win_Driver_Ver_3.14.1
    2. Be sure you have installed the ADB stuff that can be found here : Minimal ADB & Fastboot & ADB Installer (type Y to all the questions asked)
    Install Minimal ADB first. Then type Y to all the questions the ADB installer asks. Close both windows once done.

Download TWRP 2.8.7. for H815:
    1. go to this LINK and download it. Add it to your folder

Download SuperSu 2.46:
    1. Download SuperSu 2.46 HERE (thanks @Chainfire ) and add it to your folder

PC & G4 love :
    Once you are sure you have completed all the above tasks start rolling :
    A. Enter your IMEI on the LG page
    - you can find your IMEI on the G4 by going to settings > about phone > status
    B. Get your Device ID:
    1. hook up your LG on your PC (be sure not to be locked on your lockscreen, That USB debugging is checked and OEM checked in the Developer Options)
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    your phone will reboot
    Code:
    fastboot oem device-id
    4. You will see two lines of number. Copy them and paste them together (to make one line) in the the Device ID fields on the LG site.
    5 type :
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    5. close CMD
    5. click Confirm on the site and you will receive by email a file called : unlock.bin.

Unlocking your bootloader:
    1. once you get your LG email, save the unlock.bin in your folder
    2. launch CMD from the folder (hold shift, right click the folder)
    3. in CMD type :
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    4. once your phone is rebooted in bootloader type :
    Code:
    fastboot flash unlock unlock.bin
    5. then reboot your phone by typing :
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    Normally your phone now has it's bootloader unlocked. When it boots you should see a message on the top left of the screen saying that.

COPY SuperSu and the downloaded TWRP file onto your phone (i put it in the download folder in the phone, not the SD) so you are ready for the next steps

Booting TWRP via ADB and bootloader mode
    I personally think this was the easiest way to be able to root and clean install TWRP. Be sure your TWRP is in the folder.
    1. Launch CMD from the folder (hold shift, right click the folder)
    2. type (again) :
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    3. once your phone reboots and is in bootloader mode type :
    Code:
    fastboot boot TWRP2861.img
    the new name of the file
    or
    Code:
    fastboot boot p1.img
    if you didn't rename it.
    4. now you will reboot into TWRP.

Installing SuperSu
    1. once you are in TWRP click install and go find your SuperSu file.
    2. Swipe to install.
    3. Once installation is done, reboot to system.

Once you have rebooted into the OS you will find the SuperSu app. Download the TWRP manager just to have it handy. And now i would install the TWRP file you have copied on your phone with flashify. I think it's a great tool.
    2 ways to do it:
    1. locate the file, click on it and choose to open with flashify then choose recovery and follow the steps
    2. find the file via flashify and install.
    (Don't download TWRP for H815 in the TWRP manager or Flashify as they are not fixed by @wolfgart (correct me if I am wrong))

once all this done and rebooted. Your phone will have TWRP and would be Rooted. Choose the TWRP manager to boot into recovery when you want.

I preferred to reboot the phone every time just to be sure...

If you have any comments, or i wrote something wrong, don't hesitate to correct me.

Have fun

UPDATE : Thanks to @autoprime you can also update your H815 EU to the latest Stock ROM : 10C (don't forget to thank him, as those guys are working hard to make your life easier!)

@the_scotsman, maybe you can pin this to help the lost souls until a one app does it all appears?
    Forgive me if im mistaken but there are already like 3 threads about this i believe.

Flashed supersu , now won't boot after boot screen. Was on the lastest MM 20d version. What do now? Any fix or flash 20c ?
    You need to flash SuperSU 2.72.Now with LG UP reflash 20d kdz and repeat all points, but this time flash SuperSU 2.72.

Sent from my GT-I9301I
    After flashing super su the phone its stuck in bootloop,what should i do?
    What version of android are you using? If you are on marshmallow just take this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2868133 you also can restore your rom by using lgup and kdz

Gesendet von meinem LG-H815 mit Tapatalk
    twrp recovery link not work

Go to the official TWRP thread (see my signature) and download the latest beta from there.

Sent from my LG-H815 using XDA Labs