LG G Stylo (T-Mobile/MetroPCS) ROOT (5.0.2 & 5.1.1 ) - TWRP Recovery - Unbrick Guide

Search This thread

fix-this!

Apr 15, 2012
midwest
:good:

id bet aosp would be just as good on this device. but for now ill settle for a way to use xposed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-06-04-05-43-40.png
    Screenshot_2015-06-04-05-43-40.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 524
Last edited:

Bobby Tables

Sep 10, 2013
Chicago, IL
Mine is coming in a few days (MS631). I'm also reading about the codes and menu to enter the sim unlock code for use with TMOB. Seems like there's an unlocking app built into the firmware. If TMOB does the same, how do we enter the unlock code? I've never seen anything like this before with older LG L9/90. What alternative (ROM?) do we have to access the unlock screen?

It seems that unlocker apps are T-Mobile's "modern" way to deal with unlocking. The app checks if the phone is eligible for unlocking, and automatically does so if eligible (with a reboot afterwards). The app then disappears. I did this on my Galaxy Avant before I bought the Stylo, and I would assume it works the same way on the Stylo. It's basically a one-click fire-and-forget setup, with no codes to enter. If you aren't yet eligible for a permanent unlock, you can still get a 30-day one for international travel.

I have absolutely no idea if rooting or flashing a custom recovery affects the unlocker app. I'm paranoid enough (and already have two other rooted phones anyway) that I'll wait until this phone is eligible, and unlock it first.

My advice: unless you're braver than I am :eek:, unlock it when eligible, before flashing a ROM.

uslc

Jun 4, 2015
ElBolt® via Amazon

ElBolt® via Amazon

for those that are interested in high quality cases for LG G Stylo (LG G4 Stylus), search the following on Amazon.com

LG G Stylo (LG G4 Stylus LS770) Grenade Combat Case

LG G Stylo (LG G4 Stylus LS770) Cyber Defender Case

Enter coupon code ELBOLTLG for $2 discount that bring down the price to $5.97 with Free Shipping

ElBolt® is proud to offer the best value and product quality in the cell phone accessory industry for the past 10 years

Reactions: Marty_Since87

Im pretty excited. Thanks for everyones hard work.

i'm with you Fix pretty excited here :victory: :good:, I personally appreciate everyone's hard work 100x Thank you...
just need the Custom Recovery and Dedicated Section for our phones and we are set :D :D

P.S. is there in something i can help you guys? just lemme know please.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tigerstown

Tigerstown

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
Detroit
Hey everyone I got a few Questions. im dumping verizon an joining T-Mobile...I have roms out an many other threads for the htc M8 an htc M9 an i can do some theming an mods but i'm not getting the m9 on T-mo i decided to get a lower budget phone an then ill be ready for the new htc flagship on t-mo next year an im going to get this phone.. Now my questions can t_mo stylo bootloader be unlocked an rooted they day i get it like tomorrow cause i really want to get this device for next 8 months a do some custom work? Is there a recovery for this device or does someone know if one is close? I asked cause i got a good friend that might be able to help us out on that. So far I havent seen a bad review yet on this phone. Thanks for any input guys an gays if there is any...Also im going to RC chat an going to see if i can get this phones own section.

Unjustified Dev

Recognized Developer
Oct 21, 2012
Memphis , TN
Hey everyone I got a few Questions. im dumping verizon an joining T-Mobile...I have roms out an many other threads for the htc M8 an htc M9 an i can do some theming an mods but i'm not getting the m9 on T-mo i decided to get a lower budget phone an then ill be ready for the new htc flagship on t-mo next year an im going to get this phone.. Now my questions can t_mo stylo bootloader be unlocked an rooted they day i get it like tomorrow cause i really want to get this device for next 8 months a do some custom work? Is there a recovery for this device or does someone know if one is close? I asked cause i got a good friend that might be able to help us out on that. So far I havent seen a bad review yet on this phone. Thanks for any input guys an gays if there is any...Also im going to RC chat an going to see if i can get this phones own section.

You will be able to root it and the bootloader is out of the box unlocked. There's no custom recovery yet ,but the device tree for compiling twrp is on my github https://github.com/TeamRegular/twrp_device_lge_h631 my building machine is down I just wrote the tree.

Last edited:

fix-this!

Apr 15, 2012
midwest

its a great device for the price man, trust me as i used to buy flagships all the time too. any help getitng its own section is appreciated.

---------- Post added at 06:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 AM ----------

That sucks at least this time they added a notification light.

yeah but they limited it to only a red color. im sure with xposed we can change the led color.

Tigerstown

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
Detroit
its a great device for the price man, trust me as i used to buy flagships all the time too. any help getitng its own section is appreciated.

---------- Post added at 06:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 AM ----------

yeah but they limited it to only a red color. im sure with xposed we can change the led color.
What is your phone running. Android version. T-Mobile site says 5.x.x. im going to inquire right now bout starting a T-Mobile section. That's for the info Bohr they phone. ?

AP2FTW

Jul 26, 2013
Mia
i'm with you Fix pretty excited here :victory: :good:, I personally appreciate everyone's hard work 100x Thank you...
just need the Custom Recovery and Dedicated Section for our phones and we are set :D :D

P.S. is there in something i can help you guys? just lemme know please.

same here..i know i have the metro variant, but if i try the recovery you guys make and it works that would be a nice confirmation

Got linux setup and ill be learning to build twrp tonight hopefullly. Stay tuned gents. ;)

dang you are so far ahead of me with this stuff man...this is only my 2nd smart phone and im still trying to figure out how to pull the stock recovery image...not to mention how to flash it back in case i needed too :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    LG G Stylo (T-Mobile/MetroPCS) ROOT (5.0.2 & 5.1.1 ) - TWRP Recovery - Unbrick Guide

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK
    WARRANTY IS NOW AVOID IF YOU PROCEED WITH ROOT AND TWRP

Windows Machine/OS Only

----------- Lets Proceed on to Rooting LP 5.1.1 (One Click Method) -----------
    1- Click Here and Download LGGSTYLO_LP511_OneClickRoot.zip File

2- Click Here and Download LG USB Drivers ( Thanks @GameTheory. )
    "NOTE: skip Drivers if you have them already install"

4- Enable USB Debugging via Developer Option.

5- Decompress LGGSTYLO_LP511_OneClickRoot.zip on Root C: drive for easy access or any convenient location.

6- Now lets head over where we decompress that zip file and just double " LG_Root_Script.bat "

7- LET the script run to FULL COMPLETION, Your Device will Reboot twice so be patient.
    IF YOU HAVE YOU DEVICE WITH LOCKSCREEN CODE / SWIPE CODE NEED TO UNLOCK SCREEN ON EACH REBOOT FOR THE SCRIPT TO PROCEED
    Check Image for the whole process - CLICK TO SHOW CONTENT
    NIWunVg.jpg

8- when the process say
    Code:
     ui_print - Done !

press Ctrl+C
    press N then ENTER

( Check Image - CLICK TO SHOW CONTENT )

uJStcRm.jpg

- And you are done your device is now Rooted

- Phone will Reset and you need to wait till phone is fully Rebooted to system it may take a few minutes so be patient.

NOW YOU CAN PROCEED TO FLASH CUSTOM RECOVERY (TWRP)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    THIS METHOD ONLY WORKS IF YOU ARE IN LP 5.0.2
    ----------- Lets Proceed on to Rooting LP 5.0.2 -----------

First of all Thank you @avicohh for LG One Click Root GUI/Script base on his Guide I Have successfully Rooted the Stylo using and Following some steps from there just adding some thing you may see in the progress of rooting:

Original LG One Click Root Guide and File Download -CLICK HERE-

After getting all necessary files this is what i did
    1- Install LG drivers if they are not installed yet. (VERY IMPORTANT)

2- Download the LG One Click Script Root file above and extract to some folder. (double click on the 7z exe file)

3- Enable Usb debugging on your phone. (Go to Settings > General > About phone > Software information, tap Build number seven times and then go to Settings > Developer options and turn on Usb debugging) (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT STEP)

4- Connect your phone to pc. (it will install driver when connected just wait till is done)

5- Switch to MTP when drivers are full install

6- Double click on the LG Root Script.bat file (the Script will run)

7- Follow the instructions.

*Please leave your feedback if it worked for you

Many Many Thanks to @avicohhfor the LG One Click Root

P.S. I'm not a Dev. I just followed the original guide and the only thing i haven't install is Custom Recovery.

If you came across some Fail attend messages just wait a few more seconds, if that doesn't work try again in my case the first try work and 2 fail attends messages came up so just wait a few sec. if that happen

BE PREPARED. First boot can take a while!!! can stay on logo for up to 3 to 5 minutes or sometimes little more before it goes into Optimizing Apps. Have patience. Subsequent boots a pretty speedy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TWRP (Custom Recovery) for LG G Stylo T-Mobile (H631) and Metro (MS631) Variant ONLY
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

- Download Custom Recovery File from TWRP 2.8.7.0 v10j Click HERE (Thank you @Unjustified Dev and @fix-this! )

After Rooting your device (T-Mobile or Metro Variant)​

1- Check -Enable OEM Unlock- under Developer Option (Skip this part if you are 5.0.2)
    2- download Flashify from Google Play Store
    3- Open Flashify.
    4- Do a Stock Recovery Back-up (Recommended)
    5- Flash Recovery Image.
    6- Will ask to Reboot System and will take you to TWRP Custom Recovery.
    7- Now you are done just Reboot System from Recovery or do a FULL BACK-UP ;)

NOTE : This New TWRP (Custom Recovery) have the new fix (Showing Half Screen only) for the new LG G Stylo Hardware Panel.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LG G Stylo Update Firmware | Unbrick Guide by @GameTheory.

IF YOU ARE USING @GameTheory. v10i UPDATE ZIP DON'T FLASH v10j UPDATE ZIP , I REPEAT DON'T FLASH v10j UPDATE ZIP YOU'LL END UP WITH BOOTLOOPS/SOFT BRICK

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Just Follow step from link below - Thank you @GameTheory.
    http://androidcreations.weebly.com/lg-g-stylo.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every KDZ Release for T-Mobile and Metro can be found here :

http://xdaforums.com/android/development/read-trying-to-root-kdz-files-kdz-tmo-t3152531

Full v10j Stock Restore / Update
    Use this guide if you are on @GameTheory. v10i
    or want to deleted all trace of root and twrp (Back to Stock)​

Full v10j Stock Restore / Update
    Twrp 2.8.7.0 working

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347766806

Finally fixed mounting issue

Sent from my LGMS395 using Tapatalk
    Alright guys I posted a flashable zip to update to android 5.1.1 for metro pcs & t-mobile users on my website. All downloads and simple instructions are there...

http://androidcreations.weebly.com/lg-g-stylo-update.html

!!! You must update with this method to avoid getting your bootloader locked !!!

For the Metro PCS & T-Mobile Stylo only! You must have the latest twrp v2.8.7.0 from post #515.
    Unjust is fixing it with new builds , he said it should be out soon. Keep patient. Let the man work lol

Sent from my LG-H631 using XDA Premium HD app
    Honestly my lack of interest comes from not owning the device. The only reason I began development is because someone messaged me asking for TWRP , but I decided to give cm a go as well. There is someone who is going to build and test my new source. There's no point of me building for 10 hours and upload a broken build. When it's confirmed working, I'm sure they'll share it.
    7/12/15 CyanogenMod for T-mobile Stylo will flash on MetroPCS but soon device builds will be separate

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347772461

Working:
    * Radio & Data
    * BT
    * Wifi
    * Camera

Not working:
    * Notification LED (wouldn't turn off)
    * GPS (crashes device don't enable it)

Features to be implemented:
    * Double tap to wake
    * Color calibration