[REQUEST] Port of Sailfish OS to Xperia 2011 series

Search This thread

mal-

Mar 21, 2015
I have made a mostly working port of Sailfish OS for Xperia Pro (iyokan). The current status can be seen in the link posted a few post ago (can't post the link since I'm new here). Development is still ongoing at steady pace but there are still some bugs to remove. Currently the most annoying missing feature is audio, which is not working due to some strange issue with pulseaudio but investigation is ongoing. I'm also looking into experimental camera support.

nisu4717

Dec 23, 2012
vidhya nagar
I have made a mostly working port of Sailfish OS for Xperia Pro (iyokan). The current status can be seen in the link posted a few post ago (can't post the link since I'm new here). Development is still ongoing at steady pace but there are still some bugs to remove. Currently the most annoying missing feature is audio, which is not working due to some strange issue with pulseaudio but investigation is ongoing. I'm also looking into experimental camera support.

You are working on only pro????
Any more device like xperia s???

Sent from my Moto E using XDA Free mobile app

mal-

Mar 21, 2015
You are working on only pro????
Any more device like xperia s???
Since I only have Xperia Pro I have only ported for that. It's difficult to port for devices without testing, building a test image is rather simple but debugging problems might not always be and one needs to have the actual device for that. However, if there's someone interested in porting for another related device I can give instructions on how to avoid most problems.

nisu4717

Dec 23, 2012
vidhya nagar
Since I only have Xperia Pro I have only ported for that. It's difficult to port for devices without testing, building a test image is rather simple but debugging problems might not always be and one needs to have the actual device for that. However, if there's someone interested in porting for another related device I can give instructions on how to avoid most problems.

If you are ready to port.....you can have testers... Atlest 3 or 4. Just post it in xperia s section....and boom, you will have testers

Sent from my Moto E using XDA Free mobile app

oleid

Mar 23, 2015

I have an Xperia Z and I'm interested in running Sailfish on it. Yet, this is a huge undertaking, I guess, and time is precious. Also, I have to have a working phone -- mostly for calls and SMS -- and thus, I'm not really sure, if it makes sense to run my own testbuilds on it.

How do you test your builds? Are you able to dual-boot?

Furthermore, how difficult it is do tweak libhybris for a new device, considering most phones use similar parts?

mal-

Mar 21, 2015
I have an Xperia Z and I'm interested in running Sailfish on it. Yet, this is a huge undertaking, I guess, and time is precious. Also, I have to have a working phone -- mostly for calls and SMS -- and thus, I'm not really sure, if it makes sense to run my own testbuilds on it.

How do you test your builds? Are you able to dual-boot?

Furthermore, how difficult it is do tweak libhybris for a new device, considering most phones use similar parts?

I have another phone I use in normal daily use so Xperia Pro is just for hacking now. Since Xperia Pro is already quite old and not a very high-end phone it has very limited internal storage space so I had to install Sailfish to a sdcard instead. Usually I make a new build only rarely after I have made enough progress while tweaking thing on the phone. I cannot dual-boot on my phone since there is no point of trying for example MultiROM due to the storage space limitation.

When installing Sailfish normal cm system partition remains intact and Sailfish is installed to the data partition because it uses the android device drivers through libhybris and therefore those have to remain unchanged. Xperia Z seems to have MultiROM support available so it should be possible to dual-boot rather easily. When using MultiROM you can just install a secondary cm and install Sailfish on top of that and leave the primary ROM completely intact. In general Xperia Z looks like a good candidate for porting.

Mostly libhybris works quite nicely, but sometimes for example graphics can be difficult to get working and suitable configurations, kernel configs etc have to figured out, but now a reasonably common problem has been solved which caused problems on several devices. However, there are usually also many other things that need tweaking of configuration files to get everything working.

mal-

Mar 21, 2015
A status update for the Xperia Pro port of Sailfish. Currently almost everything is working fine, including the previously non-working audio and camera. I haven't tested mobile data connection so don't know if it's working or not. No support for Android applications,the system used on Jolla phone is not available for ported devices, however there has been some efforts by others to create open source support for Android applications. OTA updates and Jolla Store are not working, but programs can be installed from openrepos. Other remaining reasonably high priority problems are some issues with bluetooth (contact sync is not working, pairing and file transfer work) and hardware keyboard layout (layout can't be easily changed and automatic virtual keyboard hiding is a hack and only works sometimes). There should be a real fix in Sailfish for the hardware keyboard problems coming quite soon I hope, it's on the development roadmap of Sailfish. In general Sailfish on Xperia Pro is quite smooth and boot time is a reasonable 1,5 minutes and I even included android recovery to the kernel image. I'm currently in the process of creating a out-of-the-box working image of the port so also others can try it.

mal-

Mar 21, 2015
A status update for the Xperia Pro port of Sailfish. Currently almost everything is working fine, including the previously non-working audio and camera. I haven't tested mobile data connection so don't know if it's working or not. No support for Android applications,the system used on Jolla phone is not available for ported devices, however there has been some efforts by others to create open source support for Android applications. OTA updates and Jolla Store are not working, but programs can be installed from openrepos. Other remaining reasonably high priority problems are some issues with bluetooth (contact sync is not working, pairing and file transfer work) and hardware keyboard layout (layout can't be easily changed and automatic virtual keyboard hiding is a hack and only works sometimes). There should be a real fix in Sailfish for the hardware keyboard problems coming quite soon I hope, it's on the development roadmap of Sailfish.

There is now an image available through the porting status page on Mer wiki posted earlier in this thread. Current status of the port is very good with Jolla Store working and also mobile data connection has been tested to be working. The known issues are listed on the installation instructions page. I hope to announce the next alpha release quite soon after some investigation to for example the hardware keyboard issues, automatic virtual keyboard hiding is already working on my test build but layout changing problem still exists.

mal-

Mar 21, 2015
Now that I have automated most of the Sailfish OS build process for Xperia Pro (iyokan) I can try to blindly port Sailfish OS also to other Xperia 2011 devices, at least mogami-based ones, not sure about the zeus-based devices. Because the devices are essentially identical in terms of hardware I believe I can reuse most of my porting effort I have done so far and just build it with minimal effort. So if anyone reports as an interested tester for any of the other mogami-based 2011 Xperia device I can build a Sailfish OS image for your device. But as a warning, since I don't have other 2011 Xperias than Xperia Pro there is no guarantee that the image will work and in the case it does not work out of the box, you might need to do some debugging.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vanily and nussbaum

nussbaum

Feb 18, 2011
Bielefeld
Thanks you for your work, i have a spare xperia mini st15i mini (smultron) to test. As I am also building my own cm11 roms for it, i am interested in your build environment/toolchain.

mal-

Mar 21, 2015
Thanks you for your work, i have a spare xperia mini st15i mini (smultron) to test. As I am also building my own cm11 roms for it, i am interested in your build environment/toolchain.

Can you also build image for xperia ray (urushi)? I can test it.
Smultron and urushi will be the first test images I'll build. The procedure I use is that I only build package the needed android parts locally and the rest I build on Mer Project Open Build Service. After I have all the packages built on OBS I prepare the final image locally.

Reactions: Vanily and nussbaum

Vanily

May 10, 2013
Smultron and urushi will be the first test images I'll build. The procedure I use is that I only build package the needed android parts locally and the rest I build on Mer Project Open Build Service. After I have all the packages built on OBS I prepare the final image locally.
Just installed Sailfish to my ray; phone starts and almost everything works :good:
Here is working/not working list:

Working:
RIL 2G
Incoming / outgoing calls
SMS
Vibrator
Headphones
Notification led
USB: MTP
Bluetooth file transfer
Wi-Fi

Buggy:
Battery percentage freezed at 42%
Mounting first sdcard partition (perhaps because it's ext4 formatted, but it can be mount it manually)
Font glitch (mostly for Russian language)

Not working:
Can't add phone numbers to contacts
Offline charging: battery percentage
Mobile data (not sure)
Dynamic screen orientation
Proximity sensor
Automatic brightness
Camera (camera app doesn't starts)
Audio player don't play mp3 by default (fixed after installing gst-fluendo-mp3)

Photos:
cULzyft1CE0.jpg
c-KCEf9TrO0.jpg

mal-

Mar 21, 2015
Just installed Sailfish to my ray; phone starts and almost everything works :good:
Here is working/not working list:
Buggy:
Battery percentage freezed at 42%
Mounting first sdcard partition (perhaps because it's ext4 formatted, but it can be mount it manually)
Font glitch (mostly for Russian language)

Not working:
Can't add phone numbers to contacts
Offline charging: battery percentage
Mobile data (not sure)
Dynamic screen orientation
Proximity sensor
Automatic brightness
Camera (camera app doesn't starts)
Audio player don't play mp3 by default (fixed after installing gst-fluendo-mp3)
Nice to know, some of those not working parts are a little odd and should work. To find what is wrong could you send me the journalctl output as a private message (you need to set root password from Settings->Developer mode and then use devel-su to gain root access on command line). Please try those not working features before getting the log so it hopefully shows something useful. Dynamic orientation is active only in some applications such as message app. Offline charging does not always show the status. The first partition is aasumed to be yaffs. I will check the repos if something is missing from the build.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all, Sailfish OS is out:

https://sailfishos.org/

It is a new fully open source OS based on Meego and Mer.

It would be fantastic if someone could start to port that OS to Xperia phones..I've asked to JollaHQ first to know if it could be possible and they told me that is possible! But sadly I don't have the knowledge to do that :( do someone have the required knowledge? Consider that Sailfish OS can run almost all android apps at full speed, so no problem about this.

Here's a little demo:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQuGGEg3rAg

I have an Xperia Mini Pro SK17i and I won't be only a tester, I want also to study and learn how to port an OS to a phone by looking at an expert developer.
    New Sailfish 2.0.1.11 alpha4 releases for 2011 Xperias [Arc/Arc S (anzu), Live (coconut), Neo V (haida), Neo (hallon), Pro (iyokan), Mini Pro (mango), Active (satsuma), Mini (smultron) and Ray (ururhi)] are now available at http://images.devaamo.fi/sfe/. Installation instructions can be found at https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris/Install_SailfishOS_for_iyokan. In addition to the new Sailfish 2.0.1.11 release at least the following bugs have been fixed: the mobile networking regression in last image is now fixed, WLAN selection fix for devices with small resolution display, fix fox video recording in camera (I had to reduce the video resolution to 864x480 to get it working reliably) and possible fix for camera flash on urushi. The release also includes an updated kernel so please install also that. The new devices anzu, coconut, haida and hallon need testing.
    A status update for the Xperia Pro port of Sailfish. Currently almost everything is working fine, including the previously non-working audio and camera. I haven't tested mobile data connection so don't know if it's working or not. No support for Android applications,the system used on Jolla phone is not available for ported devices, however there has been some efforts by others to create open source support for Android applications. OTA updates and Jolla Store are not working, but programs can be installed from openrepos. Other remaining reasonably high priority problems are some issues with bluetooth (contact sync is not working, pairing and file transfer work) and hardware keyboard layout (layout can't be easily changed and automatic virtual keyboard hiding is a hack and only works sometimes). There should be a real fix in Sailfish for the hardware keyboard problems coming quite soon I hope, it's on the development roadmap of Sailfish. In general Sailfish on Xperia Pro is quite smooth and boot time is a reasonable 1,5 minutes and I even included android recovery to the kernel image. I'm currently in the process of creating a out-of-the-box working image of the port so also others can try it.
    Seems like your timetable is quite full atm :( Or are there any Problems porting it to satsuma?
    Sorry about the delay, I have been very busy with other things. Starting from this this weekend I will have more time so hopefully everything goes as planned images will be released soon. I also found some bugs in all of the ports and needed to fix those. Also the next images will be Sailfish 2.0.0.10 instead of 1.1.9.30 as planned before.
    Good news everyone! Alpha2 releases of Sailfish for iyokan (Xperia Pro), mango (Xperia Mini Pro), smultron (Xperia Mini) and urushi (Xperia Ray) are now available at http://images.devaamo.fi/sfe/. New 2011 Xperia devices can be added easily if testers are available. Please follow the instructions at https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris/Install_SailfishOS_for_iyokan for installation, please note that the minimum version of CM-11 has changed to 2015-07-23, newer versions should also work. Use the recovery included in the Sailfish kernel (or CM-11.0 2015-07-23) to format android system partition before installation of CM-11.0 and Sailfish. This is important as I have noticed system partition filesystem corruption if system partition formatted with older kernel is used. This should fix many of the problems in previous release. Features listed working for iyokan should work also on other devices. Please report any problems not listed at the end of the installation instructions.

Jolla Store is working for iyokan (and should work soon for mango). Jolla Store can be enabled also for other devices after verification that IMEI is correctly reported on the device.

Edit: 2015-09-23 Images have now been fixed.