[GUIDE] (C6833) (Maybe Others?) New Bootloader + Recovery

Search This thread

alia5

Apr 24, 2011
Regensburg
Installing the new Sony Bootloader and Recovery

THIS IS FOR ALREADY UNLOCKED DEVICES!
DO NOT TRY THIS ON A GPE!
Since a lot of people seem to have problems keeping their recovery when flashing Lollipop-ROMs i decided to put up this little guide...

You can also Skip this whole guide, by just flashing the newest stock-FW at least once!

First off, as already said, this is for already unlocked devices. You can use this Guide until "Install Custom ROM", except the rooting part, for rooting use this, if you haven't already!
Don't do it if you don't atleast somewhat know what you are doing.
I am not responsible for bricked devices, or whatever you might end up with.

So, lets get started.

1. Download Sonys FlashTool "EMMA" and install it: http://developer.sonymobile.com/downloads/tool/flash-tool-for-xperia-devices/
In the .zip file from the FlashTool you'll find a File "customization.ini"
Copy this file to the installation directory of EMMA, usually "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony Mobile\Emma"

If you don't copy that file, Emma will ask you for a login, don't create an account there, you will NEVER get any activation-email!

2. Open EMMA and boot your Phone into FlashMode (Power off your device -> Press and hold volume DOWN -> while pressing volume DOWN insert USB-Cable)
3. Emma should now recognize your device, but you have to select it manually tough. Select your EXACT model number. Again, I am not responsible for any bricked devices or whatever you end up with!

Now select the "(Open Devices) TA update" and click "Apply Service"

It should take a few seconds and should then display SUCCESS.
You can now close Emma

4. If you haven't already download FastBoot and Drivers: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48915118#post48915118
(Run as Administrator!)

5. Download the newest version of twrp and put it somewhere:
New Inoffcial twrp-3.0.0 build by me: http://xdaforums.com/xperia-z-ultra/development/togari-twrp-recovery-3-0-0-t3314440
Old official versions: https://twrp.me/devices/sonyxperiazultra.html

6. Finally boot up you Phone in FastBoot-mode (Power off -> press and hold volume UP -> while pressing wolume UP insert USB-Cable
Your LED should now light up blue
Shift+Rightklick in the Folder where you have put TWRP recovery, and select "Open Commandprompt here"
Now write "fastboot flash recovery FILENAME_OF_TWRP_FILE"

You can now unplug your USB-Cable and boot into recovery and continue from there.
Your recovery will be permanent, meaning you won't loose it or replace with any other recovery that might come with your ROM.

I hope this was somewhat helpfull

Attachments

• 2015-06-09_1937.jpg
    2015-06-09_1937.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 2,068
  • 2015-06-09_1937_thumb.png
    2015-06-09_1937_thumb.png
    58.4 KB · Views: 9,001
  • 2015-06-09_1946.png
    2015-06-09_1946.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,522
  • 2015-06-09_1945.png
    2015-06-09_1945.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,681
  • 2015-06-09_1945_thumb.png
    2015-06-09_1945_thumb.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 8,876
  • 2015-06-09_1946_thumb.png
    2015-06-09_1946_thumb.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 8,936
Last edited:

InGeNeTiCs

May 31, 2007
It's really weird, I used emma, and installed their latest ta update. Now I can get into fastboot mode, all commands execute successfully, but the recovery never takes. The vol down + Power doesn't work, nor does 'adb reboot recovery'. Am I missing a step somewhere? This isn't my first android device, but from where I sit, it seems like something is up with my xzu.

If I try and install the 14.4* update through emma, it goes through the whole process, completes "successfully", then boots into 14.5. Something is clearly not working here.

teddy74eva

Oct 17, 2012
Ryglice
The TA update only unlocks the ability to boot to recovery, it doesn't install one. And no, flashing official TWRP to recovery partition doesn't work, it must be compiled again to work on normal recovery partition and not in FOTAKernel, where it must be flashed to work.
Regards

Reactions: Triflot

Hermann1222

Jul 27, 2013
The TA update only unlocks the ability to boot to recovery, it doesn't install one. And no, flashing official TWRP to recovery partition doesn't work, it must be compiled again to work on normal recovery partition and not in FOTAKernel, where it must be flashed to work.
Regards

I´m on CM 11 M12 (looking forward to 12) + the new sony bootloader without any custom Kernel stuff.
Sadly, you are right. It´s not done with downloading twrp-2.8.5.0-togari.img and fastboot flash recovery yourfile.img.
The last offical TWRP release for Xperia Z Ultra is from february 2015, any chance they release an updated version for the new Sony bootloader?

teddy74eva

Oct 17, 2012
Ryglice
I´m on CM 11 M12 (looking forward to 12) + the new sony bootloader without any custom Kernel stuff.
Sadly, you are right. It´s not done with downloading twrp-2.8.5.0-togari.img and fastboot flash recovery yourfile.img.
The last offical TWRP release for Xperia Z Ultra is from february 2015, any chance they release an updated version for the new Sony bootloader?

I will try to compile one because, you know, summer holidays and no school ;) however I don't know if I will make it.
Regards

Reactions: Killerpint

opgoth

Jul 31, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
FYI:
My device is a brazilian c6843.
Emma recognizes the device automatically and indicates with an exclamation point that there is no services available to the unit.
In the case someone doesn't know, it's basically the c6833 with DTV 1seg. It's totally compatible with c6833 firmware, losing TV, of course.

pbgapski

Jun 30, 2014
Google Nexus 4
Xiaomi Poco F1
I have a xzu running cm12.1, and I have 2 quick questions for those with more knowledge than me :)

Is it possible to flash the new bootloder using the open source FlashTool?

If I have to use emma, is it possible to just apply the open device ta update *without* installing stock firmware first?

alia5

Apr 24, 2011
Regensburg
If I have to use emma, is it possible to just apply the open device ta update *without* installing stock firmware first?

You can totally do that, BUT, the newest stock firmware also has some firmware updates regarding nfc, also having the newest stock rom flashed at least once will be kind of a requirement to get everything properly working on marshmallow roms.
So I would say flash the newest stock rom at least once!

Reactions: pbgapski

pbgapski

Jun 30, 2014
Google Nexus 4
Xiaomi Poco F1
missing clues on new recovery partition

You can totally do that, BUT, the newest stock firmware also has some firmware updates regarding nfc, also having the newest stock rom flashed at least once will be kind of a requirement to get everything properly working on marshmallow roms.

I followed your advice, but it seems I am missing a few clues.

My sirius was on cm12.1. I backedup and flashed D6543_23.4.A.1.232_1281-5466_R6C.ftf with flashtool on linux. I tried to use emma (several times) afterwards to check for any TA updates, but all I got was "no services matched this device" or something like that. Google tells me I am not the only one with this issue with emma :(

Then I used fastboot to install twrp 3 from twrp.me to recovery partition, but I could not access twrp.

I fastbooted recovery again with twrp 2.8.7, and this time I could enter twrp and reflashed CM.

Now I can access twrp using the button combinations while booting, but rebooting to recovery from CM leads to a bootloop. Has anyone experienced this as well?

So it seems I am still missing a few clues to using the recovery partition. Is any build of twrp supposed to work on both FOTAkernel and recovery partitions?

Is there a TWRP 3 build that works from 'coldboot to recovery' and 'cm reboot to recovery' with the new bootloader? Any pointers?

alia5

Apr 24, 2011
Regensburg
Now I can access twrp using the button combinations while booting, but rebooting to recovery from CM leads to a bootloop. Has anyone experienced this as well?

So it seems I am still missing a few clues to using the recovery partition. Is any build of twrp supposed to work on both FOTAkernel and recovery partitions?

Is there a TWRP 3 build that works from 'coldboot to recovery' and 'cm reboot to recovery' with the new bootloader? Any pointers?

Well, booting to recovery on separate partition from os, requires the rom to have a patch... the "new" mm-roms (when they finally hit aka. are ready to be shared in public) will have that, so no worry, just wait.

Reactions: pbgapski

alphaprosper12

Jul 8, 2014
Well, booting to recovery on separate partition from os, requires the rom to have a patch... the "new" mm-roms (when they finally hit aka. are ready to be shared in public) will have that, so no worry, just wait.

I have the same problem but not bootloop just stuck at starting apps screen,BTW did you have a TWRP scripts for flashing TWRP 3.0 into FOTAkernel

Last edited:

erfanzz

Nov 29, 2015
hi .. after this update can i relock my phone and restore drm functions?! or phone go to unlocked forever?!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Installing the new Sony Bootloader and Recovery

THIS IS FOR ALREADY UNLOCKED DEVICES!
    DO NOT TRY THIS ON A GPE!
    Since a lot of people seem to have problems keeping their recovery when flashing Lollipop-ROMs i decided to put up this little guide...

You can also Skip this whole guide, by just flashing the newest stock-FW at least once!

First off, as already said, this is for already unlocked devices. You can use this Guide until "Install Custom ROM", except the rooting part, for rooting use this, if you haven't already!
    Don't do it if you don't atleast somewhat know what you are doing.
    I am not responsible for bricked devices, or whatever you might end up with.

So, lets get started.

1. Download Sonys FlashTool "EMMA" and install it: http://developer.sonymobile.com/downloads/tool/flash-tool-for-xperia-devices/
    In the .zip file from the FlashTool you'll find a File "customization.ini"
    Copy this file to the installation directory of EMMA, usually "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony Mobile\Emma"

If you don't copy that file, Emma will ask you for a login, don't create an account there, you will NEVER get any activation-email!

2. Open EMMA and boot your Phone into FlashMode (Power off your device -> Press and hold volume DOWN -> while pressing volume DOWN insert USB-Cable)
    3. Emma should now recognize your device, but you have to select it manually tough. Select your EXACT model number. Again, I am not responsible for any bricked devices or whatever you end up with!

Now select the "(Open Devices) TA update" and click "Apply Service"

It should take a few seconds and should then display SUCCESS.
    You can now close Emma

4. If you haven't already download FastBoot and Drivers: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48915118#post48915118
    (Run as Administrator!)

5. Download the newest version of twrp and put it somewhere:
    New Inoffcial twrp-3.0.0 build by me: http://xdaforums.com/xperia-z-ultra/development/togari-twrp-recovery-3-0-0-t3314440
    Old official versions: https://twrp.me/devices/sonyxperiazultra.html

6. Finally boot up you Phone in FastBoot-mode (Power off -> press and hold volume UP -> while pressing wolume UP insert USB-Cable
    Your LED should now light up blue
    Shift+Rightklick in the Folder where you have put TWRP recovery, and select "Open Commandprompt here"
    Now write "fastboot flash recovery FILENAME_OF_TWRP_FILE"

You can now unplug your USB-Cable and boot into recovery and continue from there.
    Your recovery will be permanent, meaning you won't loose it or replace with any other recovery that might come with your ROM.

I hope this was somewhat helpfull
    Regards

I will try to compile one because, you know, summer holidays and no school ;) however I don't know if I will make it.
    Regards