[MOD][GUIDE]Partition your internal memory for better App management (Pit Files)

Make new Pit with reduced preload to free up nearly another 475mb storage.

• Total voters
Search This thread

makix13

Jul 26, 2008
And can i flash pit file, then flash a rom from recovery? My doubt is to use that cm rom in Odin
I recommend u flash with Odin pit and kernel with recovery (cwm or twrp) to be able to flash rom and gapps
In my case I flash pit with 1gb system and 6gb data, and I happy with LA's 5.1.1 LP rom.
Before flash anything with Odin, make a backup of EFS partition

S2 LA Cyanogenmod 5.1.1

ssandeeprv

Nov 13, 2014
Bangalore
re partioning internal storage

Hi

I have RR 5.1 rom with CWM 6.0.5.1 and I am planning to repartition the internal memory .
So what file should I use in PDA option in Odin - should I use CWM kitkat compatible file(bcz I have already CWM 6.0.5.1)
Also please advice the best PIT file to use.
Thanks,
Sandeep

gogua

Dec 21, 2009
Spain
Hello !

I was no able to install gapps-slim from slimlp rom because /system space.

I flashed PIT (23mb,1GB,6GB) with Samsung_Galaxy_S2_Kernel_Gustavo_LolliPop_CWM_for_ ODIN_2015-03-14 as instructions, then flashed Samsung_Galaxy_S2_Kernel_PhilZ_CWM6-XWMS3-FOP-5.15.9-signed to format preload as instructions too, and then , when i try to install slimLP Rom or gapps, i get an status 7 error. So i can't install the rom....

any help ?

Naudiz

Sep 25, 2013
Hello !

I was no able to install gapps-slim from slimlp rom because /system space.

I flashed PIT (23mb,1GB,6GB) with Samsung_Galaxy_S2_Kernel_Gustavo_LolliPop_CWM_for_ ODIN_2015-03-14 as instructions, then flashed Samsung_Galaxy_S2_Kernel_PhilZ_CWM6-XWMS3-FOP-5.15.9-signed to format preload as instructions too, and then , when i try to install slimLP Rom or gapps, i get an status 7 error. So i can't install the rom....

any help ?
All partitions need a format after partitioning, not just preload.
Format /system /data /cache /sdcard0. Basically everything that is not external SD.
Then try again.

Naudiz

Sep 25, 2013
Thank you, but /sdcard0 was the only unformatted after flashing PIT file

Enviado desde mi Lenovo K3 Note
You should reformat system, data & the rest anyways.
Even if it looks like they are formatted already, you just changed their size, so the filesystem could be corrupted.

If your problem still persists after format, there are several threads about "status 7" here on xda.

gogua

Dec 21, 2009
Spain
You should reformat system, data & the rest anyways.
Even if it looks like they are formatted already, you just changed their size, so the filesystem could be corrupted.

If your problem still persists after format, there are several threads about "status 7" here on xda.
No, the problem was solved formatting sdcard0, i have installed slimlp

Reactions: Naudiz

zezam67

Sep 27, 2011
hi,sry,to ask here,,but i want repartition my s4 i9505,is that possible? couldnt find any pit files for that i would like to have 6 gb instead of the 2 gb stock,,,,best regards,,

Souf0

Jun 19, 2011
Bétera
No, the problem was solved formatting sdcard0, i have installed slimlp

Hi,
I've the same problem as you.
I flash by odin a pit file with 1GB system and 6 GB data, but really only creates a 6 GB data, I continue with 500MB in the system partition, and i can't install gapps.
I don't know the problem, why resizes /data and not /system...
I use this .pit file:
Here they are. All the pit files i've made.
There are two with 515MB system partition, one with 6GB and the other with 8GB data partition.
And there are three with 1GB system partition, one with 3GB, other with 4GB and the last with 6GB data partition.
The rest of the memory is for internal SD.

Hope this will help you. :good:;)
???

Last edited:

gogua

Dec 21, 2009
Spain
Hi,
I've the same problem as you.
I flash by odin a pit file with 1GB system and 6 GB data, but really only creates a 6 GB data, I continue with 500MB in the system partition, and i can't install gapps.
I don't know the problem, why resizes /data and not /system...
???
Did you select repartition when flash PIT?

Souf0

Jun 19, 2011
Bétera
Last edited:

Souf0

Jun 19, 2011
Bétera
Hi,
I created with PIT Manager (from I91001GB_6GB.pit) a new pit file with 2GB system and 6GB data, but same issue, I continue with a 500 MB system partition.
I can't resize my system partition!!!
Why?

Attachments

• I91002GB_6GB.zip
    515 bytes · Views: 152
Last edited:

Naudiz

Sep 25, 2013
Hi,
I created with PIT Manager (from I91001GB_6GB.pit) a new pit file with 2GB system and 6GB data, but same issue, I continue with a 500 MB system partition.
I can't resize my system partition!!!
Why?
The PIT file looks okay, that's all I can say from here.
Most likely reason is that /system did not format properly, thus still having faulty fragments of the old 512MB-format.

Try formating the partitions using shell. Either using adb shell or the onscreen shell included in TWRP:
System:
make_ext4fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p9
Data:
make_ext4fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p10
SDcard:
make_ext4fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p11
Preload:
make_ext4fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p12

Then post the output results here.

Reactions: Souf0

Souf0

Jun 19, 2011
Bétera
The PIT file looks okay, that's all I can say from here.
Most likely reason is that /system did not format properly, thus still having faulty fragments of the old 512MB-format.

Try formating the partitions using shell. Either using adb shell or the onscreen shell included in TWRP:
System:
make_ext4fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p9
Data:
make_ext4fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p10
SDcard:
make_ext4fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p11
Preload:
make_ext4fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p12

Then post the output results here.
This is the result for a e2fsck:
Code:
Checking efs partition:
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
/dev/block/mmcblk0p1: 72/1280 files (1.4% non-contiguous), 2457/5120 blocks

Checking system partition:
/dev/block/mmcblk0p9: 1900/32768 files (0.0% non-contiguous), 103865/131072 blocks

Checking data partition:
/dev/block/mmcblk0p10: 11/262144 files (0.0% non-contiguous), 34891/1048576 blocks

Checking preload partition:
/dev/block/mmcblk0p12: 11/32768 files (0.0% non-contiguous), 4206/131072 blocks
I can't run a script for recovery to make "make_ext4fs".
How can i execute an adb command for make_ext4fs? I'll search for a TWRP recovery for i9100...

Edit: attach the screenshots.

Attachments

• mmcblk0p9.jpg
    mmcblk0p9.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 174
  • mmcblk0p10.jpg
    mmcblk0p10.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 176
  • mmcblk0p11.jpg
    mmcblk0p11.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 168
  • mmcblk0p12.jpg
    mmcblk0p12.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ***************************************************************************************************************
    UPDATE 21ST FEBRUARY 2014

Preload special editions with preload area reduced from 500mb to about 45mb, the resulting regained space is then allocated to the internal sd partition. Custom roms only! All data partition sizes have been catered for!

Beware #1 - Preload moddified version are NOT suitable for Samsung Stock Roms!

Beware #2 - Pre-Load moddified versions are for custom roms that do not use pre-load area! Please post on the respective thread for your rom and ask the author the question prior to using these versions if you are unsure! (I can tell you that SlimRoms & Cyanfox do not use preload, at present at least)

Beware #3 - If you want to go back to stock rom, you just need to flash my standard edition pit files, easy!

***************************************************************************************************************

Increase your data application partition and set your device free!

Are you bored of having to move apps to SD?

Bored of facing a stock issue of not even being able to move apps to your internal SD?

This thread will help you, currently only for i9100 16gb Model only.
    [/COLOR]

GUIDE - The usual rules apply, You will:

IMPORTANT: Please backup all your photos, videos and other important stuff on your PC, in the cloud or somewhere else where it is safe, as all your stuff on your internal SD card will be deleted!

1) Run compatible version of Odin, put your phone in to download mode (vol down/home/power button) and connect to PC via USB

2) Tick re-partition box

3) Click PIT button and select the pit file of your desired app partition size.

4a) Click PDA and select your stock official samsung jellybean rom - Edit- please remember if you use a rom that is not native to your region, it would be wise to flash the appropriate radio modem afterwards to ensure you get the signal strength you'd expect :)

4b) OR Flash your persnonal choice of kernel in *.tar format and pit file, reboot to CWM ( power button/vol up/home button) and install new rom or restore nandroid and boot as normal and skip to number 9 in this guide

5) Flash and wait for reboot

6) Let the phone reboot and wait until the android chap finishes his spinny wire ball belly animation and then remove the battery and do a factory reset using the usual power/vol up/ home trick.

7) Let it boot so you can check that you are happy with the result. ( I didn't, but you might want to)

8) Now flash your chosen rooted kernel and either stick with stock rom or enter CWM and flash your own custom rom.

9) When your phone boots, you may get a notification to format usb storage, say yes if prompted! If it that fails, connect you phone to your PC and format the the internal sd card manually.

10) Remember that Android likes automatically deciding where apps go, so sometime it tries to put stuff to SD itself (app requests it), it is worthwhile checking your installed apps to makes sure they went to internal app partition, you can tell this by either:

a) Look in Titanium back up, go to the move/integrate section and see if any apps show as moveable from SD to internal, if so run the batch process to put them on your nice new app partition, otherwise you may have issues running those apps.

b) If you don't have Titanium (why not?) then check the harder way by looking at app manager and swipe to the right to look at SD app, sort by size and then individually move ones back to internal storage.

11) That easy! Here is a shot of my resulting app manager

Files attached to post including original pit in case you want it back to stock values!

Enjoy!

Pit files

Here they are. All the pit files i've made.
    There are two with 515MB system partition, one with 6GB and the other with 8GB data partition.
    And there are three with 1GB system partition, one with 3GB, other with 4GB and the last with 6GB data partition.
    The rest of the memory is for internal SD.

Hope this will help you. :good:;)
    all great, in guide,
    i will use the 4gb split for me, but you must say that user should backup all his roms (sec rom also, as samny rom will kill his system) and internal sdcard before any usage.
    to his PC.

or you will get posts like, why my files are gone? i blame you for that, you told me its safe, and now i lost my girl naked picks :p

Sent from my GT-I9100
    *EDIT*

Followed guide and flashed. Everything went awesome! i flashed 16GB_6GB
    Thank you very much.

But when i look in task manager, the app storage sure is 6GB(5.9GB) but my internal storage decreased to 8GB(7.91GB) :(
    IS it possible to have 6GB for apps and still have the 16GB (11.5GB) internal?

Sadly, our phone has 16gb total internal memory, pit files (partition information table) is how it splits this memory, sadly again our phone uses a app partition and then a pretend internal sd partition. This thread is for increasing the app partition to allow more apps to be easily installed without the need to move them about, as you increase the app partition this then naturally decreases the internal sd partition accordingly, hope that makes sense.
    Subscribed.but i am still afraid to do it.may be i will loose my phone.loool

Envoyé depuis mon GT-I9100 avec Tapatalk 4

no PROBLEM here, did backup all, then did what GUIDE say.

and now happy with 4GB data partition.

but when i have booted to SAMMY rom all CLEAN, but internal SDCARD was broken. via MTP i see that disk is exist but size is broken.

so i have flashed my kernel via ODIN, went to recovery, and when recovery loaded, WINDOWS asked me if i like to FORMAT my internal sd.

and it's was 9.50GB size, so i say YES. and all good now. clean partition and i am loading my stuff back.

P.S for OP!

no problem to restore nand backup via recovery :)

O! and user should flash his best radio firmware :) as SAMMY comes with other, maybe not good for USER.

Code:
    ~ # df -h
    df -h
    Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    tmpfs                   402.3M     48.0K    402.2M   0% /dev
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p7     94.4M    176.0K     92.3M   0% /cache
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p11
                              9.5G      6.2G      3.3G  65% /mnt/.secondrom
    /dev/block/loop0         96.8M      1.5M     88.3M   2% /secondrom_cache
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p11
                              9.5G      6.2G      3.3G  65% /emmc-tmp
    /dev/block/mmcblk1p1     14.9G      8.4G      6.5G  56% /sdcard
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p11
                              9.5G      6.2G      3.3G  65% /sdcard/.android_secure
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p11
                              9.5G      6.2G      3.3G  65% /emmc
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p10
                              3.9G      1.5G      2.3G  40% /data