Canadian Users (G900W8) Discussion

Search This thread

biomech91

Oct 11, 2009
Please use this thread to discuss our variant of the Galaxy S5.

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /
Current Android version: 5.1.1
Current firmware version: G900W8VLU1COI4 (Download links available at The Android Soul or SamMobile)
Rootable? Yes (Requires patched 5.1.1 stock kernel and SuperSU beta. Details in post #2 of this thread.)
Xposed? Yes (Requires custom Xposed framework created by wanam. Details here.)

\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \

Last edited:

_alexndr

Mar 1, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
[HOWTO] Root your G900W8 stock 5.1.1 firmware :)

Prerequisites: this procedure requires TWRP or CWM recovery. If you have 100% pure stock installed - you need to flash it first using PC Odin (use *.tar(.md5) version). NOTE: Custom recovery and/or custom kernel will trip your KNOX flag!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rooting procedure:

1. Download patched kernel and the latest SuperSU (2.52+):

>> KERNEL_G900W8VLU1COI4_Stock_patched.zip <<
>> SuperSU BETA by @Chainfire <<

2. Copy both zip files to phone or extSdCard

3. Go to TWRP / CWM and flash both files one by one. Order does not matter

4. Reboot the phone.

5. Enjoy your rooted 5.1.1 firmware :cool:

Credits: @Chainfire for his awesome work, especially for SuperSU app/binaries and THIS method.

Please quote this post and attach new boot.img to your post if a new firmware will be released. I will path new kernel and update this post :good:

Last edited:

biomech91

Oct 11, 2009
@_alexndr Done! I've pointed it to your post in this thread instead of the old link.

(Thanks for your info by the way, I'd be lost without root!)

xtrakill101

Sep 3, 2014
Hello, I was wondering if its possible to downgrade to kitkat? Im in 5.0 right now...and will it trip knox when I downgrade?

biomech91

Oct 11, 2009
Hello, I was wondering if its possible to downgrade to kitkat? Im in 5.0 right now...and will it trip knox when I downgrade?
If you haven't tripped Knox, it won't trip if you downgrade. Easiest way is downloading a stock KitKat ROM and flashing it via Odin. Lots of guides for that on xda and around the web. You can even do it through Kies.

g17123

Oct 19, 2015
Prerequisites: this procedure requires TWRP or CWM recovery. If you have 100% pure stock installed - you need to flash it first using PC Odin (use *.tar(.md5) version). NOTE: Custom recovery and/or custom kernel will trip your KNOX flag!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rooting procedure:

4. Reboot the phone.

Credits: @Chainfire for his awesome work, especially for SuperSU app/binaries and THIS method.

Please quote this post and attach new boot.img to your post if a new firmware will be released. I will path new kernel and update this post :good:

Will any of the s5 CWM and TWRP recoveries work with my Samsung Galaxy S5 G900W8 Lollipop 5.1.1?
Edit: Tried both recoveries none installed. Is there another way to instal root?

Last edited:

xtrakill101

Sep 3, 2014
Another question, for example I want to downgrade to 4.4.2 to use towelroot, is that possible? If yes, what firmware should I download? There is a june and april firmwares...

s3nr1

Oct 29, 2011
Any reason why knox should be kept 0. My warranty already expired and its not like the s5 can use Samsung pay without that mfe? chip.

Also can someone debloat deodexed root the latest fw intoma flashable zip...I'd likemtp keep itmas stock as possible. Thanks.

biomech91

Oct 11, 2009
Will any of the s5 CWM and TWRP recoveries work with my Samsung Galaxy S5 G900W8 Lollipop 5.1.1?
Edit: Tried both recoveries none installed. Is there another way to instal root?
How did you install the recovery? If you're on a stock ROM, you can download a TWRP .tar version which you can then flash through Odin (google for instructions if you don't know how).

That's how I did it, then I followed the steps to root 5.1.1.

g17123

Oct 19, 2015
How did you install the recovery? If you're on a stock ROM, you can download a TWRP .tar version which you can then flash through Odin (google for instructions if you don't know how).

That's how I did it, then I followed the steps to root 5.1.1.

Nope didnt work just used odin no luck still. I even tried clearing the cache.
EDIT: Fixed the issue just rooted my phone

Last edited:

g17123

Oct 19, 2015
Here's how to instal the recovery(For those who are confused)

Note:put stuff on sd card from page 1 on how to root if you want root and follow its steps after this.(Cause you need recovery for rooting)
1.Download cf auto root but DONT use the rom thing it comes with.
2.Run odin that came with cf auto root
3.Dowload TWRP from here (Get newest tar version) https://dl.twrp.me/klte/
4.Click pda button and make sure its checked and select the twrp u downloaded. Also make sure auto reboot is not checked and make sure re-partition is not checked.
5.Plug phone into pc and make it go into download mode(Turn off phone Hold volume down, hold home and power)
6.Click start in odin
7.DONT turn off phone after odin says phone is done
8. Hold power,home and volume up next(May have to re-hold when screen changes)
9.DONE

Last edited:

agasagas

Mar 19, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Thanks to this thread. I've been searching the s5 forum for our Canadian model and I found this. I am currently running 5.1.1 by following the OP post. Aside from this upgrade, Do you guys know of any modded ROM that will run and compatible with 5.1.1 G900W8? Thanks a lot :)

Reactions: spankmatic22

Zehlek

Thanks to this thread. I've been searching the s5 forum for our Canadian model and I found this. I am currently running 5.1.1 by following the OP post. Aside from this upgrade, Do you guys know of any modded ROM that will run and compatible with 5.1.1 G900W8? Thanks a lot :)
Sixperience v7

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Reactions: spankmatic22

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [HOWTO] Root your G900W8 stock 5.1.1 firmware :)

Rooting procedure:

4. Reboot the phone.

The marshmallow update was posted today
    the link from sammobile is SO SLOW so I am hosting it on my own googledrive for the benefit of the community.

Android 6.01 for G900W8

md5 = 2c017904c1a826797106ae0365f58896
    Please use this thread to discuss our variant of the Galaxy S5.

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /
    Current Android version: 5.1.1
    Current firmware version: G900W8VLU1COI4 (Download links available at The Android Soul or SamMobile)
    Rootable? Yes (Requires patched 5.1.1 stock kernel and SuperSU beta. Details in post #2 of this thread.)
    Xposed? Yes (Requires custom Xposed framework created by wanam. Details here.)

\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \
    GREAT news @kageyb (and anyone else similarly affected). First, go to this post and throw @lePoMo a thanks for being a gracious help.

is the following possibly related/helping?
    Sure, I just rebooted into recovery and deleted the entire sepolicy OTA directory:

Code:
    adb shell rm -r /data/security/spota

I'm not sure how often it checks for these OTAs so it might come back again. The sepolicy OTAs happen on the fly without a reboot so you could potentially end up with a broken system while you're still booted (that's what happened to me). I believe these updates happen regardless of what ROM or kernel you're using unless the update mechanism was removed or is not supported in your particular version of TouchWiz.
    and also my thoughts (only ideas) on that spota directory:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64064686&postcount=2988

Ok, so here's what you do if you flash 2.52 and get trapped in a bootloop after an updated security policy:
    1. Boot into TWRP recovery
    2. BACKUP (though I suppose how could it get any worse?)
    3. Advanced --> File Manager --> use the up level to go to the root of your system.
    4. You're looking to select "/data/security/spota". This directory needs death. Delete it.
    5. Flash SuperSu (not sure if this is necessary if you're already bootlooping).
    6. Profit.

Happily, it appears that the upgraded security policy gets dumped into that spota folder. Destroying it gets rid of it. I'm not sure about how persistent it is, mind you, so make sure that once you get live again you disable security updates. The /spota folder seems to get recreated on boot but doesn't propagate with any nasty-SuperSu killing files, but maybe keep an eye on it to see if new things appear there.

Enjoy!

--Databoy2k
    Marshmallow is finally out for the G900W8! Seeing 6.0.1 firmware on sammobile