Flaws & annoyances with the HTC Desire (with workarounds!) [updated Aug 4, 2010]

Search This thread

gogol

May 20, 2005
Yes, indeed, and that fixed issue no 55.

It is better for putting the link to that SDRescan app in the #1 post for "easy" find out. That will make this thread less annoyance :D

I had actually noticed another thread that mentioned manually triggering an SD card scan with the same application!

jimbouk

Apr 28, 2006
Up North
www.linenway.co.uk
Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post
The HTC Calendar Agenda widget doesn't display the day of the week just the date.

"Settings" > "Date & Time" > "Select date format" > choose accordingly[/QUOTE]

Many Thanks for this would love for it to show the full day as theres plenty of room but its much better.

chris5304

Dec 9, 2004
Multimedia: default media player

Picks up all audio files on the SD Card thus getting e.g. CoPilot sounds in your audio library. Workaround is to drop a blank text file named .nomedia into the folder where the unwanted media files are stored. The media files will then be ignored. Also works for photos. Interesting (to me) also works for audiobooks if you put them in a separate folder, drop .nomedia in it then Music ignores them while MortPlayer picks them up.

If this is well known please forgive me and ignore, Desire is my first Android phone!

Krpano

Jul 16, 2008
Geneva
I think the issue with the auto brightness should be listed too.

I explained a few posts before and it seems this happens to others too.

Here is the issue again:
When in auto brightness.
When the screen enters the first dim state before OFF, you touch the screen so it wont turn off and the brightness of the screen wont return to the correct value.
It will always be dimmer.
The only way to get the correct brightness is to let stand by and unlock it again.

You can check it by yourself easily.

ohyeahar

Dec 7, 2007
Hong Kong
jason-says.blogspot.com
Picks up all audio files on the SD Card thus getting e.g. CoPilot sounds in your audio library. Workaround is to drop a blank text file named .nomedia into the folder where the unwanted media files are stored. The media files will then be ignored. Also works for photos. Interesting (to me) also works for audiobooks if you put them in a separate folder, drop .nomedia in it then Music ignores them while MortPlayer picks them up.

If this is well known please forgive me and ignore, Desire is my first Android phone!

I'd hardly call this a flaw. The music player was designed to pick up all audio files on your microSD.
Nonetheless, you're correct and it's a good tip. If there was a well maintained Tips & Tricks thread, this should be there!

I'll put it in my Tips & Tricks post in my blog though. Link to it is in my signature.

I think the issue with the auto brightness should be listed too.

I explained a few posts before and it seems this happens to others too.

Here is the issue again:
When in auto brightness.
When the screen enters the first dim state before OFF, you touch the screen so it wont turn off and the brightness of the screen wont return to the correct value.
It will always be dimmer.
The only way to get the correct brightness is to let stand by and unlock it again.

You can check it by yourself easily.
@Krpano i cannot reproduce this. When i touch the screen, brightness returns to normal. With autobrightness enabled.

I can't reproduce this either. Maybe it's my eyesight...

IceBone

Mar 4, 2009
My old Diamond had a whole plethora of selections available, but this localised version of the Desire only has 3 too... Sucky...

Anyway, how can I get the youtube application to open youtube videos from the browser? Right now they're force opened by the flash player, which sucks for youtube... :/

silent_killa

Jul 23, 2005
A couple of issues im having that I cant see listed

1) HTC mail application unable to display some emails. Just appears to be a blank email. If I open the same message in the GMail app it displays fine. One example of this is my confirmation email from mymemory of my order. Strange thing is the dispatch confirmation email displays fine.........

2) I recieve voicemail notifications via SMS. For some reason the messages say they are from a facebook contact and not the standard voicemail number. This facebook contact doesnt even have a mobile number listed nor is it stored in my local contacts. Its being pulled down from the HTC facebook sync!!

Wekkel

Apr 3, 2010
www.tweakers.net
Re: Flaws & annoyances with the HTC Desire (with workarounds!) [updated May 5, 2010]

I got the same 'flaw' with auto brightness and dimmed screen. Most of the time, the screen eventually returns to normal brightness after a short period. It is just as if the auto brightness takes some time to adjust again after the dim.

doggie123

Mar 28, 2010
The Gmail app

Have these been mentioned already, all for the built-in Gmail app?
Looking for 'em in all 34 pages is a bit much :)

* Compose new message and Reply always use Rich Text format.
Can't seem to find a way to use Plain Text, like I can do with the Web edition.

* Compose new message does not resolve contacts if I have disabled syncing phone contacts and gmail contacts.
It might ask the Gmail server, but it does not.

* Reply always includes a full copy of the message that was received.
Can't seem to find a setting for this, or a way to edit or remove the copy.

* Label color is always blue.
In the Web edition I use dozens of colors.

* While reading a message there are always buttons showing for Archive, Delete and Older.
Very annoying, especially in Landscape mode because it takes away 20% of the screen.

doggie123

Mar 28, 2010
Market app

The Market app shows only App Comments that were submitted in the language that is selected for my UI (Dutch). Very often there aren't (m)any comments in this language.

It also submits my comments using this language setting, so nobody but my fellow countrymen will see my comment (even if I typed it using English).

Zappza

Nov 16, 2008
The Market app shows only App Comments that were submitted in the language that is selected for my UI (Dutch). Very often there aren't (m)any comments in this language.

It also submits my comments using this language setting, so nobody but my fellow countrymen will see my comment (even if I typed it using English).
I will hardly call this a bug. The reason for this is so that English users don't have to browse through comments in every language in the world. However, I think it would be great if English comments was shown aswell in the localized language, so that you got both english and ex. dutch comments for dutch users.

ohyeahar

Dec 7, 2007
Hong Kong
jason-says.blogspot.com
A couple of issues im having that I cant see listed

1) HTC mail application unable to display some emails. Just appears to be a blank email. If I open the same message in the GMail app it displays fine. One example of this is my confirmation email from mymemory of my order. Strange thing is the dispatch confirmation email displays fine.........

2) I recieve voicemail notifications via SMS. For some reason the messages say they are from a facebook contact and not the standard voicemail number. This facebook contact doesnt even have a mobile number listed nor is it stored in my local contacts. Its being pulled down from the HTC facebook sync!!

1. I've never experienced this. Are you sure it's not because of the download size limit that you specified in the mail application?

2. This is because of a combination of your carrier and your own contact list.

Have these been mentioned already, all for the built-in Gmail app?
Looking for 'em in all 34 pages is a bit much :)

1. Compose new message and Reply always use Rich Text format.
Can't seem to find a way to use Plain Text, like I can do with the Web edition.

2. Compose new message does not resolve contacts if I have disabled syncing phone contacts and gmail contacts.
It might ask the Gmail server, but it does not.

3. Reply always includes a full copy of the message that was received.
Can't seem to find a setting for this, or a way to edit or remove the copy.

4. Label color is always blue.
In the Web edition I use dozens of colors.

5. While reading a message there are always buttons showing for Archive, Delete and Older.
Very annoying, especially in Landscape mode because it takes away 20% of the screen.

1. I'm of the belief that it's not necessarily a bad thing for a device not to be able to do something if that something is unnecessary. If you can explain to me an instance where composing in plain text is more appropriate than using rich text, then this will be added to the list.

2. Sorry, don't understand. What do you mean by "resolve contacts"?

3. This is true. You indeed cannot remove the email trail when replying. Again, I'll need some more convincing on this. When is this a bad thing? Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this crucial to how the "conversation view" of Gmail works?

4. Odd. My Gmail labels only come in 1 color using the web client.

5. This is true. But then the Mail application also has this, with buttons for Next, Reply, Reply All, and Previous. While I don't consider this a problem, I can understand it. This will be added if one more person supports this!

mpsamuels

May 6, 2010
www.martinsamuels.me.uk
I use linked contacts (phone memory + Gmail + Facebook) and I like keeping different display names per service (Facebook+phone use realnames, Gmail uses nicknames).
For that I hit the Menu button on the link page of my contact and choose "Select contact name", then I can choose which name to display in the main people list and save the modification.
Well that appears to work but it doesn't: it happens that some time later the name of some of my contacts is restored to the Gmail nickname and I have to redo my modification.
How can I persist the contact name change?

Because of that issue I can't make sure I'll find my contacts by typing their name in search (since Gmail nickname doesn't match phone memory realname).

Sounds like this is because you're syncing with Google Contacts. Disable that and you should be fine.

I'm having this problem too and as much as turning off google contact synch sounds like it would stop the change of contact name it doesn't sound like a true resolution. Turning off google synch would mean not synching any new manually added contacts to google.

Abandoning google mail's contacts all together and using facebook as my primary contact store for anyone with an account is not really an option either as this prevents me from easily finding a copntact in gmail if i want to e-mail them and means i can't fill in information i have on a contact that facebook doesnt share.

Surely if the option is there to change the displayed contact name the phone should be able to cope with the idea that it doesn't need to make changes if a contact is already in memory.

Jon_010

Oct 5, 2008
I've contacted HTC directly about this thread, here's the response:

Thank you for contacting us. We are happy to learn that you are enjoying the use of your HTC Desire device, and please rest assured that we are investigating all known issues that have been reported directly to us, and we will attempt to address these in future software updates. However, we are not able to process error reporting from third-party websites such as xda-developers.com, and therefore should these users wish to have their particular issues registered with us, they will need to contact our official technical support channels. If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Kind Regards, Tony F HTC

Just thought you ought to know that if you want something official doing about it, you'll have to contact them directly.

Jon

IceBone

Mar 4, 2009
Is it possible to expand the people search to include all the contact fields, not just name and email? :S

john014

Jul 9, 2007
London
Interesting read, although it might be an idea to "re-check" if these faults exist, even in the newest rom versions, as htc seem to be pushing out small updates, which i think may be fixing these small issues, as they dont seem to be adding/modding anything major on the rom itself

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Use an app like AnyCut or BetterCut to create new shortcuts with custom names.
    guys i want to delete all google contacts and want to keep phone contact how do i do that. i cant find option to delete google contacts.

Go into "Phone", Menu > People > Menu > View ... untick "Gmail Contacts"... does that help?

Alternatively, you can go into the menu, Settings > Accounts & Sync > Google and untick "sync contacts".

:)