[OFFICIAL] Android 6.0 Marshmallow Update Details

Search This thread

funkypigeon121_

Dec 27, 2015
I'm a bit of a noob but could someone with the k1 and marshmallow flash the recovery60 or twrp 2.8.7.3, uninstall fallout shelter using root, then create a twrp backup and try restoring the backup on the og shield using the same recovery?

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
As far as I know there isn't a custom recovery for the k1 running marshmallow, but if there were than yes it could be done

Exile1975

Dec 3, 2011
Actually since the k1 has root we can use flashify (never used it), or flashfire (I know this works) to make a backup and also to flash....

Edit: I spoke too soon, it seems flashfire is no longer working on 6.0. Anyone know if flashify is still working?

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: dowlf

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
Time to fix the recovery issue.

twrp-20151227-EXPERIMENTAL-shieldtablet-m.img

This is labeled experimental for a reason. Yes, it boots on the new bootloader and seems to work okay. But, it is built from the very latest TWRP code, which to my knowledge isn't stable yet. That being said, I've only seen a couple annoyances like after screen timeout, it won't come back. I also haven't tested backup and restore (cm-13.0 still doesn't boot, so I have nothing to gauge that with anyways). So, here there be dragons and all that jazz.

Another note: It seems something major changed with this new bootloader and kernel. They are no longer inter-compatible. Eg. L roms and recoveries will not boot on the new bootloader and vice-versa. I don't know if there will be a workaround or not, but for now keep in mind that if you want to go back to Android 5.1, you'll have to flash an older blob first, like the one in my CM thread.

Prax

Aug 1, 2005

This is labeled experimental for a reason. Yes, it boots on the new bootloader and seems to work okay. But, it is built from the very latest TWRP code, which to my knowledge isn't stable yet. That being said, I've only seen a couple annoyances like after screen timeout, it won't come back. I also haven't tested backup and restore (cm-13.0 still doesn't boot, so I have nothing to gauge that with anyways). So, here there be dragons and all that jazz.

Another note: It seems something major changed with this new bootloader and kernel. They are no longer inter-compatible. Eg. L roms and recoveries will not boot on the new bootloader and vice-versa. I don't know if there will be a workaround or not, but for now keep in mind that if you want to go back to Android 5.1, you'll have to flash an older blob first, like the one in my CM thread.
So using this the OG Shield Tablet should be able to install the 6.0 rom for the Shield Tablet K1 with the correct img files? Sorry just making sure before I try to proceed with this.

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
So using this the OG Shield Tablet should be able to install the 6.0 rom for the Shield Tablet K1 with the correct img files? Sorry just making sure before I try to proceed with this.
Maybe? There's still the problem of the system image being larger that the partition on the original tablet. In regards to flashing the img's, twrp won't do anything more than flashing from fastboot.

Gilbot

Jul 29, 2010
Milpitas

Maybe. I'm sure the extra space taken by fallout won't allow it, but maybe if someone posts a twrp backup of their system img with fallout removed via tibu it might work. I was able to flash the system image posted earlier in this thread on my OG shield tab WiFi ( the stock K1 5.1.1 twrp backup posted). I even received the ota update but it hung during flash (as I expected).

Last edited:
Reactions: funkypigeon121_

aaronne

Dec 26, 2015

[edit for limit.. twrp-20151227-EXPERIMENTAL-shieldtablet-m.img[/url]

Hello, flashing and booting to twrp worked on new K1 tablet, just a bit irresponsive touchscreen and menu delay, I leaved it in "read only mode" and backupped the 3 partition, now going to try to install xposed, gravibox and other tweaks. If no works I'll try the restore too xD

Thanks Steel01

Wiped all from tablet menu Settings\Backup and Restore, booted to initial config screen but I've not set it, I shutdown and rebooted to recovery to restore previusly TWRP's backup, seems to works at all and I seeing trough fileEs thats TWRP's also restored correctly the files and structure on sdcard(32GB) mounted as internal mem as my whole system and config.

Perfect!

P.S.: I wiped only for experimental purpose to try out any issues, but the TWRP's and xposed with many modules are running right way

P.P.S.: TWRP's restore are only visible in recovery mode but not in file explorer sw, so saved first on internal mem then to my notebook

Last edited:

Vartom

Apr 2, 2015
I added the utility itself in 2.8.7.1.
On Mipad version 2.8.4 (if not mistaken) contains this utility.
Ps resize2fs it is necessary to try, utilities are the same.

Last edited:

fards

Inactive Recognized Developer
I added the utility itself in 2.8.7.1.
On Mipad version 2.8.4 (if not mistaken) contains this utility.
Ps resize2fs it is necessary to try, utilities are the same.

Resize2fs I can reduce the size of cache and userdata. Need to write partition table to move system to allow it to grow. That's not happening

For those asking
I have a system.img with the fallout.apk removed.
I also made an update zip using dat system
It still doesn't boot on the og tb8.

Yoyoa

Jan 18, 2010
Chelles
OnePlus 10 Pro
To resume, we had an experimental TWRP seems to work but a little buggy? (it's a good good beginning :) ) And for root? is it chainfire root?
Can we have a method/tuto to do all things?
For me i need root access for Adblock, sixaxis controller, titanium backup all is ok you think?

Vartom

Apr 2, 2015
Resize2fs I can reduce the size of cache and userdata. Need to write partition table to move system to allow it to grow. That's not happening

For those asking
I have a system.img with the fallout.apk removed.
I also made an update zip using dat system
It still doesn't boot on the og tb8.
System and cache nearby. Decreasing The Cache can increase the System partition.

You can share the zip archive img extracted from the system partition with K1? Or suggest a working tool to extract.
Sorry for the bad english.

Evil_Sephiroth

Nov 4, 2010
Italy
Sony Xperia 1 III
reistalled back K1 factory image (i'm on old tablet rom) and updated to 6.0 K1 rom

stylus option are back (none on stock k1 rom) but....even if i enable the navigation bar stylus only mode and lazo option nothing appear...

can anyone point the build.prob line to edit?

fards

Inactive Recognized Developer
reistalled back K1 factory image (i'm on old tablet rom) and updated to 6.0 K1 rom

stylus option are back (none on stock k1 rom) but....even if i enable the navigation bar stylus only mode and lazo option nothing appear...

can anyone point the build.prob line to edit?

ro.disable.stylus.settings=true change to false?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

hoooverybloodyra!

:victory:Hmmm worms...
    Tasty

Guess what works, feel so very very very stupid to have missed that. Been back through my term logs on the vmware and spotted that none of the symlinks extracted properly..
    Completely missed that the first time.
    So that's several days of trying to work out what was going on when something so simple was my error. #whatatw@
    Image uploading:cowboy:

I've uploaded a modified reduced system image to androidfilehost.

needs flashing with fastboot, haven't made an update zip yet.

To get this working on the OG tablet tb8 !

you need fastboot,
    do the following from bootloader (power and righthand volume)

Code:
    fastboot flash staging blob
    (from castrwilliam) http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64431114&postcount=110
    poweroff (for me the blob doesn't take on a reboot, needed complete power off and boot to get it to work .
    boot to bootloader
    Code:
    fastboot getvar all              <<<<< if you see    (bootloader) max-download-size: 0x06000000 then you have the correct blob flashed. 
    fastboot format system 
    fastboot erase recovery 
    fastboot format cache 
    fastboot flash boot boot.img (from castwilliam)
    fastboot flash recovery twrpXXXXXXXXXXXX (from steel01 [url]http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64520513&postcount=229[/url]) 
    fastboot flash system reducedsystem.img  [B]([url]https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=46449[/url])[/B]
    fastboot reboot

you will probably need
    Code:
    fastboot erase userdata
    as well, as it doesn't play nicely dirty flashed from what I can see (that might be just down to my experiments) .
    EDIT
    Some people are saying Erase gives you a bootloop (Didn't here but hey ho :D )
    if so then use
    Code:
    fastboot format userdata
    instead

I've modified the build.prop to allow stylus in settings, not feedback to nvidia and ignore the recovery type.
    easy enough to rectify if you don't want them
    The Images

Yeah, the reason I didn't post the links yet is because I forgot to flash the new blob while testing my images, and neither the latest official TWRP nor the 3.1.1 stock recovery would boot afterwards. After a few hours of headbanging I figured that out.

Here are the files.

Staging Blob (must flash): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2bDl0UV9tS3BEbzA/view?usp=sharing
    Boot Image (must flash, aka: kernel and ramdisk): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2bHByWi1kaXZtWm8/view?usp=sharing
    Rooted Boot Image (flash instead of normal Boot Image for root, thank you to @yubimusubii for the method): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2ZWROeFF6WTNaNFU/view?usp=sharing
    System Sparse Image (must flash): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2ZkJlcTE1MTZPdlk/view?usp=sharing

The following files were not present in the OTA, but you might want/need them anyway if you want to do a full factory restore.
    Stock Recovery Image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2SjVzZHBKaDFoTFU/view?usp=sharing
    Data Sparse Image (aka userdata, THIS WILL OVERWRITE ALL YOUR FILES, PLEASE BACKUP FIRST): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2Q3oxQWFURE9KYk0/view?usp=sharing

The smaller files (blob and both boot images) are also attachments on this post, if you prefer to get them directly from here. They're compressed with 7-Zip so they can fit within XDA attachment limits.

You'll want to flash them with fastboot commands. If you don't know exactly how to do that, then I don't think this is a project for you.

WARNING: These images are only partially tested! I haven't tried to boot back into either stock or TWRP recovery since I fixed the blob! I shall not be held responsible for glassing of planets, resonance cascades, portal storms or great disturbances in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced!!!
    Can you please tell me step by step how to get MM on the original shield tablet?

1 learn development
    2 buy a blindfold
    3 try to pickapart the difference between the two seemingly identical, but obviously not identical tablets. using said blindfold.
    4 spend far too much time trying different things to get this rom to work
    4a try to get nvidias old early console mode working so you can take the blindfold off enough to see what's going wrong.
    4b realise they don't do the early console mode any more
    5 spend more time responding to questions from people that haven't read the thread.
    5a try to spend some holiday time with kids whilst also trying to get this to work.

do you think if I had this working, or if someone else had this working we might have said by now?
    seriously?

You even quoted me saying that it wasn't booting..
    TWICE!

and before someone else says I'm on my high horse or similar.

I'm not, but I do find questions like that very frustrating.
    along with the damn near identical ones that keep popping up in my PM inbox.