Good news for AFTV gen 1 & AFTV stick owners (You got Root?) 20/02/16

Search This thread

deanr1977

Apr 17, 2011
lost somewhere.... Help
Yes good news for AFTV gen 1 & also AFTV Stick owners, i was just browsing on AFTVNews & guess what i saw.... Well once you recieve the new update to OS5 you can if you like Root it using Kingroot, & also Rbox is working on with porting TWRP custom recovery to a Fire TV 1 that has been rooted by KingRoot. This could be great news to alot of people at the moment with these devices.
Read more here -
http://www.aftvnews.com/fire-os-5-on-the-amazon-fire-tv-1-and-fire-tv-stick-can-be-rooted/

Dude360

Nov 22, 2006
Just rooted my stick, here's how it went for me.

Unblocked update servers in router and updated to 5.0.5.

Used ES Explorer to install Kingroot 4.1 and ran it.

Took about 10 minutes - The screen kept blacking out for me and had to keep tapping the remote to turn it back on (probably my timeout settings somewhere).

Initially Kingroot failed.

It rebooted itself and got stuck in a bootloop so left it for ten minutes before pulling the power.

Luckily it hadn't bricked and went back into 'optimizing apps'.

When it finished Kingroot reappeared and said root was successful :)

Busybox, Titanium and Root explorer installed and had root access.

Set Firestarter to launch on double click and removed Kodi as single click.

Blocked updates and also froze OTAVerifier, OTAUpdates FireTVLauncher and used XBMC Launcher to set Kodi as a true 'Home'.

I'm waiting for the update to roll out to my Gen1 so I can try with Kingroot 4.8 as I can use mouse/keyboard for that one.

Hopefully rbox can perform some magic and put together a pre-rooted ROM for the stick and maybe recovery which would make full debloating/freezing a lot easier :)

Free RAM dropping to below 10mb caused a lot of issues with Kodi for me so I replaced the Stick with OSMC on a RaspberryPi2 but if we have a way to recover then we should be able to nuke the Amazon crap running and make use of all that free RAM :D

Last edited:
Reactions: butterflieq

timcki

Sep 3, 2008
KingRoot 4.1 worked

KingRoot also worked for me on my FireTV Stick...
I was trying last night with Kingroot 4.8 the latest, but that did not work... it just sat there...
Thank you Dude360 I just followed exactly what you did..

as a side note after 5.0.5 install I had to toggle developer options every time I try to connect with adbFire

I just bought all the stuff to hardware root , boy am I glad I checked the forums...

deanr1977

Apr 17, 2011
lost somewhere.... Help
KingRoot also worked for me on my FireTV Stick...
I was trying last night with Kingroot 4.8 the latest, but that did not work... it just sat there...
Thank you Dude360 I just followed exactly what you did..

as a side note after 5.0.5 install I had to toggle developer options every time I try to connect with adbFire

I just bought all the stuff to hardware root , boy am I glad I checked the forums...
Where are you downloading Kingroot from? Can you pm me the link please, I'm just waiting for it to update to 5.0.5 then I be rooting too

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

SilentBot

Feb 21, 2016
Erlangen
Latest Kingroot V4.80 worked fine on FTV1

Latest Kingroot V4.80 worked fine on my first gen Fire TV with 5.0.5 in less than one minute.
No blackouts or reboots.

The trickiest part was to disable USB Debugging to recognize my USB Mouse. :silly:

Reactions: danstah

deanr1977

Apr 17, 2011
lost somewhere.... Help
I plugged my firetv stick in again last night after sitting for a while (hoping for something like this to happen), but it still didn't get 5.0.5 yet. hopefully soon....

and there is a link to 4.1 kingroot on the xda thread for those asking, but as per above I haven't used it yet:
http://xdaforums.com/android/apps-games/one-click-root-tool-android-2-x-5-0-t3107461
I just found the latest one but still waiting on 5.0.5

ImCoKeMaN

Jan 8, 2007
I just found the latest one but still waiting on 5.0.5

to clarify, my point of 4.1 was for firetv stick users that didn't have a Bluetooth mouse. there are a few posts mentioning that doesn't need it, but nobody posted a link so I thought I'd pass it on. It's the attachment in that thread, but that thread does also link 4.80 which is fine if you have a mouse =)

Reactions: deanr1977

deanr1977

Apr 17, 2011
lost somewhere.... Help
to clarify, my point of 4.1 was for firetv stick users that didn't have a Bluetooth mouse. there are a few posts mentioning that doesn't need it, but nobody posted a link so I thought I'd pass it on. It's the attachment in that thread, but that thread does also link 4.80 which is fine if you have a mouse =)
Just wondering if you or any other users have tried after root using "super sume pro" to remove king root & purify & replace with chainfires trusty Super SU?

Dude360

Nov 22, 2006
Just wondering if you or any other users have tried after root using "super sume pro" to remove king root & purify & replace with chainfires trusty Super SU?

Not yet.

I was more interested in getting root first, anything after that is a bonus :)

I might give it a shot if rbox isn't able to put anything together in the form of recovery or a pre-rooted ROM but I don't want to risk losing root on the stick.

I had some issues with Kodi being a launcher with XBMC Launcher though so ended up setting Firestarter as 'Home', removing any single click in the settings and adding Kodi as double click.

Freezing FTVLauncher has a massive impact on free RAM, had over 250mb free in Kodi compared to the usual 30mb!

Moved back to the stick while I wait on my OSMC remote for my Pi2 as the FireStick remote over bluetooth on the Pi seems to eat batteries!

On another note, mate tried to root his tonight and had issues with Kingroot 4.1. Just wasn't playing ball. Would get to 100% and say failed but nothing after that. A reboot just booted as normal and Kingroot still said it had failed.

Hes going to try a factory reset tomorrow see where it gets him.

I might have a couple more coming my way to try this on soon as well but don't have access to a bluetooth mouse to try 4.8 on the stick.

timcki

Sep 3, 2008

Yes I used Super sume free to replace KingRoot .
After a reboot my firestick is unusable
boots to boot logo, then to black screen. I can connect to it using adbfire but no picture.

Reactions: Annunneo

deanr1977

Apr 17, 2011
lost somewhere.... Help
I think I will root with this method when the OS5 update turns up? Block updates & then wait for a guide to get rid/replace with super su & maybe add a recovery If that's possible In the future? I'm sure one of the excellent Devs we have in this forum will work it out sometime soon

There is this guide but not sure if it will work or not?
http://androidmtk.com/replace-kinguser-with-supersu
Some say it does & some say it doesn't?

Last edited:

timcki

Sep 3, 2008
That is the guide I used. It worked then after a reboot now i get the boot logo then a black screen

Roger W

Sep 14, 2012
Redmond, WA
This is great to see working!

There are two initial goals I have with root, and I wonder if others have progress toward them or can point me to threads I'm missing:

1. Get Google Play Store installed so I can access my premium apps. But guides I see for AFTV (non-Stick) like this require Xposed, which tells me that it's not compatible with this Android version or architecture.

2. De-bloat by disabling Amazon junk that is known safe to remove without bricking the device. I have firestarter, but I don't know if that itself relies on an Amazon app to run since it never actually made itself a Launcher. I usually use Titanium Pro to freeze/thaw system apks, but that would require me to get #1 working first. If that's not possible yet, any other good apps for freezing apps temporarily? Has anyone been cataloging what can and can't be uninstalled?

thanks for any tips.

deanr1977

Apr 17, 2011
lost somewhere.... Help
This is great to see working!

There are two initial goals I have with root, and I wonder if others have progress toward them or can point me to threads I'm missing:

1. Get Google Play Store installed so I can access my premium apps. But guides I see for AFTV (non-Stick) like this require Xposed, which tells me that it's not compatible with this Android version or architecture.

2. De-bloat by disabling Amazon junk that is known safe to remove without bricking the device. I have firestarter, but I don't know if that itself relies on an Amazon app to run since it never actually made itself a Launcher. I usually use Titanium Pro to freeze/thaw system apks, but that would require me to get #1 working first. If that's not possible yet, any other good apps for freezing apps temporarily? Has anyone been cataloging what can and can't be uninstalled?

thanks for any tips.
I've heard you can freeze the Fire Tv Launcher & it frees up plenty of ram, I have xposed & google play working on my Fire Tv2 (not my stick) & pretty sure debloating is possible

Roger W

Sep 14, 2012
Redmond, WA
I've heard you can freeze the Fire Tv Launcher & it frees up plenty of ram, I have xposed & google play working on my Fire Tv2 (not my stick) & pretty sure debloating is possible

Thanks. I used ES File Explorer to backup and uninstall "KFTV Launcher". FireStarter still works. I don't think I have any way to check free RAM right now, and the stock Settings app doesn't work now.

It would be great to get Google Play Store and access to my paid apps.

deanr1977

Apr 17, 2011
lost somewhere.... Help

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'll just leave this here. NO, I don't know when it'll be done. NO, I have nothing to test. It'll be done when it's done.

attachment.php
    Yes mate it is being worked on, rbox is working on it & as far as what's been said about the matter it maybe ready at some point this month or maybe next? You could enquire over at AFTVNews.com? Im sure in a post over there it was said it would probably be out at the end of last month or this month (can't remember exactly?) But as long as it's all going well & ontime maybe will will see a release very soon (hopefully) Hope this helps

I'm hoping to get FireTv1 done this month. Not the stick. Stick is still coming though.
    Yes good news for AFTV gen 1 & also AFTV Stick owners, i was just browsing on AFTVNews & guess what i saw.... Well once you recieve the new update to OS5 you can if you like Root it using Kingroot, & also Rbox is working on with porting TWRP custom recovery to a Fire TV 1 that has been rooted by KingRoot. This could be great news to alot of people at the moment with these devices.
    Read more here -
    http://www.aftvnews.com/fire-os-5-on-the-amazon-fire-tv-1-and-fire-tv-stick-can-be-rooted/
    Flashfire works fine, if you can remove kingroot and install supersu.
    With the risk of anymore bricks I'd wait for a recovery before attempting anything else

With 5.0.5 you have to block the com.amazon.device.software.ota package regardless which gen you have.

In Android 5 there are two options to do so:
    1. "disable"; requires root:
    Code:
    adb shell pm disable com.amazon.device.software.ota

2. "hide"; no root required:
    Code:
    adb shell pm hide com.amazon.device.software.ota

In both cases the update-check shouldn't work anymore.