BLU R1 HD General Discussion

Search This thread

jasonmerc

Dec 14, 2012
www.ixquick.com
Interesting, I don't yet. I'd like to see if I have an issue getting the TWRP to boot that way or if something accidentally changed in the 6.4 update to allow it to boot.
Maybe the original test recovery wasn't bad.

It was a corrupt recovery most likely. I had the same issue as you with V6.4. If possible, I'd stay downgraded for as long as possible.

jasonmerc

Dec 14, 2012
www.ixquick.com
Ladies and gentlemen, we have root!!!

Download this file, flash the included recovery that Antonio made with the included scatter file Bullet made. Make sure you are using the latest SP Flash Tools V. 1628. Please note this is only for the Prime variant, the vanilla variant recovery will be coming soon. MrMazak will probably post about that.

Also note this was only tested on the 16gb variant of the Prime Phone. We are not sure if this will work on the 8gb variant. Flash at your own risk!

Extract the contents of the zip I posted to the same directory. They must be in the same directory to work. Turn off your R1 and unplug it from your PC.

To flash with SP Flash Tools, simply open the tool, load the scatter file you got from the zip, and a check box should be next to the recovery section of the flashing screen. Make sure flashing is set to Download Only, and click Download. Make sure your R1 is completely off, and plug it in to your computer. After a second or so it will start flashing.

At first boot, mount system as READ ONLY, and make a nand backup of your device. Backup ALL PARTITIONS, data and cache optional. DO NOT FLASH ANYTHING UNTIL YOU HAVE MADE A BACKUP OF THESE PARTITIONS AND YOU HAVE STORED THAT BACKUP SOMEWHERE SAFE! Copy the backup to your PC, then mount system read-write in the Mounts menu and flash the SuperSU recovery zip. Reboot immediately after flashing. It will boot loop once or twice, then you will boot with root access.

Big thanks to @lopestom for working with me for multiple days to get this to work. We would not be where we are right now without him. Also thanks to @mrmazak for risking his Vanilla R1 to help bring a custom recovery to the rest of us! And let's not forget about @bullet25 for his working scatter file for our device!

EDIT: Alternate download link, brought to you by @Oscar_david https://www.dropbox.com/s/82vull03ywxbmxj/TWRP_Scatter_R1_Prime.zip?dl=0

EDIT 2: For those of you that may need more in-depth instructions, @jacewt made a more detailed post explaining all of the steps: https://tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=...hare_tid=3418354&share_fid=3793&share_type=t

Last edited:

jasonmerc

Dec 14, 2012
www.ixquick.com
Mazak will soon follow with the vanilla variant of recovery. His methods will be using fastboot rather than SPFT, as frankly you should use fastboot if you can as it's a lot safer. Prime Phone users can't use fastboot so for us we need SPFT.

The same goes for the vanilla recovery: it was only tested on a 16gb variant. 8gb users be warned and flash at your own risk!

bullet25

Jan 9, 2011
Philly
Backing up the phone now. Hells yeah. I'm probably going to pick up another one of these now!
Now we need to get working on unlocked bootloader and Cyanogenmod.

EDIT: Also confirmed working on the shipped, non-updated OTA.

Reactions: samijam

triggerlord

Dec 15, 2015
Moto G Power (2021)
Mazak will soon follow with the vanilla variant of recovery. His methods will be using fastboot rather than SPFT, as frankly you should use fastboot if you can as it's a lot safer. Prime Phone users can't use fastboot so for us we need SPFT.

The same goes for the vanilla recovery: it was only tested on a 16gb variant. 8gb users be warned and flash at your own risk!

What happens if you enable oem unlock in the prop file?

jasonmerc

Dec 14, 2012
www.ixquick.com
This just made my day!
Quick question, just to clarify: doest it make a difference for those of us who did the ota update?

Also, I'm not a big fan of mega. Would it be alright if I host the file on box?

Thanks.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using XDA Free mobile app

@bullet25 confirmed it works on an older OTA. @triggerlord and I confirm it works in the latest OTA. Feel free to host wherever you want and post the link, I'll add it to my post as well.

jasonmerc

Dec 14, 2012
www.ixquick.com

Go back a page, there's instructions.

I couldn't find anything regarding oem unlock in build.prop, but whenever I set the allow oem unlock in the /dev/__properties__ file to 1 and save, my phone locks up and freezes. I force reboot and it resets it to 0. This will be a tricky one.

EDIT: Booting to fastboot and trying to issue an oem unlock doesn't work, as for some reason my pc cant detect the phone. I'll try updating ADB.

EDIT2: Updating ADB did nothing. Just noticed a green dead pixel on my screen and now I can't unnotice it. Damn you warranty policies.

Last edited:

bullet25

Jan 9, 2011
Philly
Ay yes. All the roots.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160724-180318.png
    Screenshot_20160724-180318.png
    95.1 KB · Views: 451

Varxxyy

Jul 25, 2016
Go back a page, there's instructions.

I couldn't find anything regarding oem unlock in build.prop, but whenever I set the allow oem unlock in the /dev/__properties__ file to 1 and save, my phone locks up and freezes. I force reboot and it resets it to 0. This will be a tricky one.

EDIT: Booting to fastboot and trying to issue an oem unlock doesn't work, as for some reason my pc cant detect the phone. I'll try updating ADB.

a bit more in depth im confused. sorry.

jasonmerc

Dec 14, 2012
www.ixquick.com

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ladies and gentlemen, we have root!!!

Download this file, flash the included recovery that Antonio made with the included scatter file Bullet made. Make sure you are using the latest SP Flash Tools V. 1628. Please note this is only for the Prime variant, the vanilla variant recovery will be coming soon. MrMazak will probably post about that.

Also note this was only tested on the 16gb variant of the Prime Phone. We are not sure if this will work on the 8gb variant. Flash at your own risk!

Extract the contents of the zip I posted to the same directory. They must be in the same directory to work. Turn off your R1 and unplug it from your PC.

To flash with SP Flash Tools, simply open the tool, load the scatter file you got from the zip, and a check box should be next to the recovery section of the flashing screen. Make sure flashing is set to Download Only, and click Download. Make sure your R1 is completely off, and plug it in to your computer. After a second or so it will start flashing.

At first boot, mount system as READ ONLY, and make a nand backup of your device. Backup ALL PARTITIONS, data and cache optional. DO NOT FLASH ANYTHING UNTIL YOU HAVE MADE A BACKUP OF THESE PARTITIONS AND YOU HAVE STORED THAT BACKUP SOMEWHERE SAFE! Copy the backup to your PC, then mount system read-write in the Mounts menu and flash the SuperSU recovery zip. Reboot immediately after flashing. It will boot loop once or twice, then you will boot with root access.

Big thanks to @lopestom for working with me for multiple days to get this to work. We would not be where we are right now without him. Also thanks to @mrmazak for risking his Vanilla R1 to help bring a custom recovery to the rest of us! And let's not forget about @bullet25 for his working scatter file for our device!

EDIT: Alternate download link, brought to you by @Oscar_david https://www.dropbox.com/s/82vull03ywxbmxj/TWRP_Scatter_R1_Prime.zip?dl=0

EDIT 2: For those of you that may need more in-depth instructions, @jacewt made a more detailed post explaining all of the steps: https://tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=...hare_tid=3418354&share_fid=3793&share_type=t
    I don't know if this helpful. I think these are all the steps I took. If you follow the original, you should be fine. I am far from an expert. Download all the files in the original post. Read everything there.
    Honestly though, if you've never used at least twrp, you should read up on it.

1. Turn off phone
    2. Run flash_tools.exe
    3. Click Scatter-loading = choose MT6735_Android_scatter_R1_test7.txt
    4. Make sure on the dropdown menu it says download only
    5. Below the drop down menu make sure recovery is checked
    6. Next click the download button near the top.
    7. Plug your phone back in (if nothing happens, you don’t have the driver), get it
    8. If you have the driver, the app will push the recovery to your phone. (you might need to do this twice, because it didn’t seem to work for me the first time).
    9. Unplug the phone, boot into twrp, power & volume up, choose recovery. TWRP should boot.
    10. Choose read-only, and then choose backup, backup everything to your sd card.
    11. Once done, plug your phone back into the computer, transfer the backup to your PC For safe keeping.
    12. Download supersu. I chose stable.
    13. Place the file in the sd of your phone.
    14. Unplug your phone, go back to twrp, this time go back to mount, choose storage, select internal, make sure you pick system, and unselect mount system partion read-only.
    15. Then go back to the menu, choose install. Find your supersu zip file in your sd card. Flash it.
    16. Mine booted immediately.
    17. Downloaded check root, and it worked!
    How-to remove the ads

- Using TWRP

Guide and updated scripts moved to its own topic for better visibility.

There is now an easier and faster way to remove the ads. You don't even need to have root as long as TWRP is flashed.
    You do not need to wipe you user data anymore, or to install Xposed if you don't want to!

Just install one of the two attached packages via TWRP and your phone will be add-free, debloated of amazon apps, and OTA will be blocked.
    You can choose between 2 options, both removing ads and blocking OTA and performing either a:
    - FULL debloat, removing ALL amazon apps from your device, using the "bluR1-Prime_FULLdebloat-blockOTA" package.
    - PARTIAL debloat, leaving only the Amazon Underground app store in your system, using the "bluR1-Prime_PARTIALdebloat-blockOTA" package. This option allows automatic background updates from the amazon app store and you don't need to decrease your device security settings by allowing untrusted sources to install applications.

- Using ADB (old method for FULL debloat using adb, updated to remove the need of wipe, TWRP method recommended)
    After TWRP flashing and root install, remove ads, all amazon bloatware and disable OTA with the following commands
    Code:
    adb shell su -c "mount -o remount,rw /system"
    adb shell su -c "rm -rf /system/priv-app/com.amazon.* /system/priv-app/com.audible.application /system/priv-app/com.goodreads /system/priv-app/com.imdb.mobile /data/data/com.android.systemui/files/*"
    adb shell su -c "sed '/com.amazon.phoenix/d' /data/data/com.android.systemui/shared_prefs/com.android.systemui"
    adb shell su -c "mv /system/app/AdupsFota/AdupsFota.apk /system/app/AdupsFota/AdupsFota.apk_"
    adb shell su -c "mv /system/app/AdupsFotaReboot/AdupsFotaReboot.apk /system/app/AdupsFotaReboot/AdupsFotaReboot.apk_"
    For NONE prime R1HD

the attached recovery img is TWRP 3.0.2-1 for the no prime RiHD.
    prerequisite to using is to have knowledge of ADB and fastboot usage.
    I have multiple drivers installed for both but standard google adb drivers should be all you need.

this will do. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48915118#post48915118

** first make backup of boot, and recovery partitions with SPFT.
    unfortunatly readback of partitions requires manually entering memory hex locations, generic guide on using read back here.

1. become developer on device and enable developer options.
    2> enable adb
    3. enable oem unlocking
    4. open cmd or terminal and command adb reboot bootloader
    5, phone should have rebooted, now verify connection with fastboot devices
    6. fastboot oem unlock (this will factory reset device and wipe the date partition)
    7. setup device with setup wizzard or just skip through
    8. become developer again and enable usb debuging again
    9. adb reboot bootloader
    10. fastboot boot (enter the location of your downloaded recovery img)(you can drag the file from explorer to the terminal window and the path will be filled in)
    11. twpr recovery should have booted
    12. DO NOT modify system at this point!!!!!
    13. make FULL backup of all partitions
    14. now you have a functioning recovery and have not changed phone at all
    15. up to you at this point to flash supersu.zip to have root. If so download from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

enjoy
    file md5: 3c3792c0a36b214de40d4ef155eb33a5
    @ss2man44 which ROM are you trying to port? Is it cm?

Yes, CM13. Bare AOSP doesn't have as much of the nice infrastructure for introducing new devices.

Interesting thing: The kernel source confirms that the internal codename for the R1 HD is p6601.

Here's a small progress update. I've gotten the first custom kernel to boot successfully:
    JHPqZkR.png

This means that we can do things like overclock and add features like f2fs and fix bugs in drivers and such. It also means I can continue to work on CM13 knowing that compiling the kernel works.