Alternative/Best Camera app for op3?

• Thread starter Deleted member 7600982
  • Start date
Search This thread
D

Deleted member 7600982

Are Camera apps other than stock that offer same or better quality/focus for crisper images? Just wondering.

Skickat från min ONEPLUS A3003 via Tapatalk

maxl96

Apr 7, 2011
What's the problem with your AF?
Mine works better than on any other phone I've had..

D

Deleted member 7600982

A camera with a much better auto focus is what I am looking for also

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Agree, is there one? I saw someone who used Open Camera for "pro" Pictures but i havent tested it out yet.

AcmE85

Jan 19, 2012
Apart from specific features and camera2api compatibility,
I did not find a single app yet which can compete with the stock camera app
in terms of general processing quality.

Sure, sometimes the stock app tends to overprocess images, but I guess they can further tweak this with future updates.
( check this video on this matter: http://www108.zippyshare.com/v/KidtanPE/file.html )
I often noticed that faces tend to be overly processed and thus result smoothed-out. This without using HQ or HDR which is bad!
Judging by this issue, it might be better to enable raw or use another app in specific situations.

In terms of white balance abd focus accuracy, they are all more or less the same.

D

Deleted member 7600982

AcmE85

Jan 19, 2012
That link is virus as ****.
Would be great with an app that locks on a Little better when tapping the screen for Focus.

Sorry for any inconvenience produced by this link. I am using an adblocker on my OP3 and my PC so I don't have any issues with zippyshare.

Regarding focus, when using the stock camera app you can lock focus by long pressing on a subject.
Personally I don't have focus issues. My only issue is the processing you can see in my video.
It might actually be the reason why some think that pictures are not correctly focused.
They appear sharp at first, but get blurry after processing has been applied.

I can upload somewhere else if you want. Just tell me a hoster.

D

Deleted member 7600982

Sorry for any inconvenience produced by this link. I am using an adblocker on my OP3 and my PC so I don't have any issues with zippyshare.

Regarding focus, when using the stock camera app you can lock focus by long pressing on a subject.
Personally I don't have focus issues. My only issue is the processing you can see in my video.
It might actually be the reason why some think that pictures are not correctly focused.
They appear sharp at first, but get blurry after processing has been applied.

I can upload somewhere else if you want. Just tell me a hoster.
Alright, didnt think you did that on purpose. How about uploading to Youtube? Or any other Place, does not really matter. Oh, i honestly did not know.

I just know that i am too lazy for using the manual tweaks to get perfection?

AcmE85

Jan 19, 2012
How about uploading to Youtube? Or any other Place, does not really matter. Oh, i honestly did not know.

I just know that i am too lazy for using the manual tweaks to get perfection��

There you go

This is a serious issue OnePlus needs to address and probably the reason many think they have focus issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Namolas
D

Deleted member 7600982

There you go

This is a serious issue OnePlus needs to address and probably the reason many think they have focus issues.
Thanks! Mine does that too but it flickers 3 Times instead of your 1 time.
Yours get blurry the first time and so does mine, but mine moves back and forth one more time before settling with a pic that is as Good or almost as Good as the first pic shown.

Edit: actually now when i look at it it doesnt flicker in Good lighting, just in semi-poor to poor lighting for some reason..

Last edited by a moderator:

AcmE85

Jan 19, 2012
Yes, it differs with the lighting. It may sound strange but I was actually happier with the OPO in some situations
because it offered more consistency compared to the OP3 (in daylight).
Off course, the overall quality is much better on the OP3, especially in lowlight, but sometimes you won't know what the postprocessing will actually do with the final image,
mostly with slightly moving subjects (I am not talking about motion blur due to slow shutter-speed!).
I already did some pictures from people which appeared great at first inside the gallery, but then got destroyed by postprocessing!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7600982

Yes, it differs with the lighting. It may sound strange but I was actually happier with the OPO in some situations
Off course, the overall quality is much better on the OP3, especially in lowlight, but sometimes you won't know what the postprocessing will actually do with the final image,
mostly with slightly moving subjects (I am not talking about motion blur due to slow shutter-speed!).
I already did some pictures from people which appeared great at first inside the gallery, but then got destroyed by postprocessing!
You have obviously tested other apps such as Open camera and confirmed that the problem stays the same regardless of the app used?

AcmE85

Jan 19, 2012
You have obviously tested other apps such as Open camera and confirmed that the problem stays the same regardless of the app used?

Oh, the OOS Camera App is the only app with this issue because it uses proprietary postprocessing to filter out noise, which is not available for other camera apps.
Other apps use the same "basic" postprocessing which is nearly identical in good lighting, or much worse in bad lighting compared to the OOS Camera.

Google Camera https://abload.de/img/img_20160723_001912tkqmo.jpg

Stock Camera https://abload.de/img/img_20160723_001920t9q4y.jpg

Google Camera https://abload.de/img/img_20160723_002156l7rpb.jpg

Stock Camera https://abload.de/img/img_20160723_002205h1q8y.jpg

In lowlight, no apps beats the OOS camera.
In daylight and depending on the subject you will often get more details with third-party apps, but more noise.
But I need to do more testing, especially when taking pictures of people to really see the differences.

In terms of focusing I did not see a difference. I might test Open Camera later.

Last edited:

BoneXDA

Oct 9, 2012
For flawless quality, just enable DNG RAW file save and process images yourself. DNG files offer vastly superior dynamic range because the 31 MB files contain all red, green and blue subpixel data, unprocessed.

For wider range of manual controls, I recommend AZ Camera, it has full manual controls for video as well. I also like A Better Camera, I use it's HDR mode which has far superior (albeit grainy) multi-shot processing. Manual Camera is always an option, I just prefer AZ Camera because of video settings and I like AZ Screen recorder.

At the end of the day, stock app image quality is not that bad, though HDR is more denoised since oxygen OS 3.2.2.

AcmE85

Jan 19, 2012
It's clear that you can get the most out of a raw file, especially when using additional denoising algorithms on a PC.
This doesn't mean that this is a solution for everyone and we can't discuss this any further.
Some people just want to take their devices and snap the best possible photos without too much of an effort.
I took my fair share of raw photos, but often just don't want to.

In comparison with the OPO for example, the gap between the processed jpeg and the developed dng is not too far away on the OP3.
The OP3's processing still has much room for improvement in auto-mode though, as you can see in my YouTube video.

After some testing I can say that the perfect app highly depends on the lighting conditions.
... I will add more to this post later.

Last edited:

Familotel

Nov 14, 2014

What Ad-Blocker are you using? I have ADP on Chrome but I still got a new window pop-up from that link (AV blocked link). And ADP on my OP3 frickin blocks all internet traffic sometimes, welp most of the times. So on OP3 i only have Ad-Away .. but it's pretty useless.

AcmE85

Jan 19, 2012
Adaway on OP3 and uBlock Origin on my PC running Chrome Beta 52.
ABP is slowing down Chrome compared to uBlock.
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/uBlock-vs.-ABP:-efficiency-compared

/off-topic

Camera comparison

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w3q0it8lgu6hsvl/AABAuFOsk6MKGs7Nn6uMpFXOa?dl=0

For best quality, download the whole package and watch on your PC.
Keep in mind that the Windows 10 standard photos app is a blurry mess and they still did not fix this issue!!!!
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...fea-889b-48e4-8368-1a2d2922dd0c?page=1&auth=1
Use the old picture viewer for example

OxygenOS Camera vs. Google Camera vs. Open Camera (camera2api enabled)
Running on OxygenOS 3.2.2

All pictures were taken handheld on auto-mode, no HQ or HDR or any additional modes enabled.
All with autofocus. All pictures were the first and only shots I did in this situations. I did not have to correct focal points or anything, just aim, snap & done.

What I can say so far is that in daylight (Photos 1, 2 and 5) there is almost no difference when comparing them on the OP3 screen.
Only noticeably difference are plain colored objects. There is still some minimal noise left with Open Camera and Google Camera.
The OOS Camera filters most of it without losing any details.

I have included one photo taken with Open Camera with camera2api disabled and it looks like there is no denoise filter enabled at all.

The exception to the rule is the photo showing Yoda (Photo 3).
At first glance there is no difference. When comparing at 100% crop you can see that the OOS Camera loses some slight details due to postprocessing.

On photo 4 I tried to darken the room. There is one photo which shows the proper lighting in that scene, by manually decreasing the exposure with OOS camera.
The improved postprocessing by the OOS Camera clearly wins here hands down. What can be observed is that all apps increase the exposure.
Weirdly, all have the same shutter-speed (1/17s), but although having the by far least amount of noise, the OOS camera uses a 6400 ISO, the other two a 3200 ISO!
I am pretty sure there is something wrong with exif data on the OOS Camera.

Photo 6 shows the Dark Tower^^
OOS Camera wins again. Once again 6400 vs 3200 ISO.

Photo 7 shows the same results as the first daylight shots.

Photo 8 was taken with artificial lighting. The results are equal to photo 4.

Basically the pictures and processing are identical on the Google Camera and Open Camera.
I had more apps installed, but earlier shots were showing the same results, so I did not include them into this comparison.
The OOS Camera basically wins every time in lowlight.

Daylight pictures are hard to judge as it tends to make them quite clean with its denoising (see Yoda!)
Google and Open Camera show a slightly more noise, but one could argue that they are preserving more detail.

As I already mentioned earlier, the OOS Camera sometimes goes way too far when there is slight movement involved in the scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbn9Lj6F6EM
that includes peoples faces in perfect lighting. I will continue shooting with Google Camera in these occasions to compare
the behaviour to the OOS Camera.

In terms of focus speed and accuracy, all apps performed the same.

I was using CM13 for a day, the day before it got official nightlies, and can say that camera quality
is identical to what you get with Google Camera on Oxygen OS.
Unfortunately this means that when you are going to do lowlight shots, you will get worse results.
I really hope we will get a fully working OOS camera port in the future.
Until then I am forced to stay on OxygenOS.

edit: Before I get any of these posts to just use manual mode or raw, or... this is not the goal of this comparison ok :)

Last edited:

krish225

Sep 16, 2010
Hyderabad

This solved my issue:
https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...-post-processing.470510/page-14#post-16614706

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Adaway on OP3 and uBlock Origin on my PC running Chrome Beta 52.
    ABP is slowing down Chrome compared to uBlock.
    https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/uBlock-vs.-ABP:-efficiency-compared

/off-topic

Camera comparison

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w3q0it8lgu6hsvl/AABAuFOsk6MKGs7Nn6uMpFXOa?dl=0

For best quality, download the whole package and watch on your PC.
    Keep in mind that the Windows 10 standard photos app is a blurry mess and they still did not fix this issue!!!!
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...fea-889b-48e4-8368-1a2d2922dd0c?page=1&auth=1
    Use the old picture viewer for example

OxygenOS Camera vs. Google Camera vs. Open Camera (camera2api enabled)
    Running on OxygenOS 3.2.2

All pictures were taken handheld on auto-mode, no HQ or HDR or any additional modes enabled.
    All with autofocus. All pictures were the first and only shots I did in this situations. I did not have to correct focal points or anything, just aim, snap & done.

What I can say so far is that in daylight (Photos 1, 2 and 5) there is almost no difference when comparing them on the OP3 screen.
    Only noticeably difference are plain colored objects. There is still some minimal noise left with Open Camera and Google Camera.
    The OOS Camera filters most of it without losing any details.

I have included one photo taken with Open Camera with camera2api disabled and it looks like there is no denoise filter enabled at all.

The exception to the rule is the photo showing Yoda (Photo 3).
    At first glance there is no difference. When comparing at 100% crop you can see that the OOS Camera loses some slight details due to postprocessing.

On photo 4 I tried to darken the room. There is one photo which shows the proper lighting in that scene, by manually decreasing the exposure with OOS camera.
    The improved postprocessing by the OOS Camera clearly wins here hands down. What can be observed is that all apps increase the exposure.
    Weirdly, all have the same shutter-speed (1/17s), but although having the by far least amount of noise, the OOS camera uses a 6400 ISO, the other two a 3200 ISO!
    I am pretty sure there is something wrong with exif data on the OOS Camera.

Photo 6 shows the Dark Tower^^
    OOS Camera wins again. Once again 6400 vs 3200 ISO.

Photo 7 shows the same results as the first daylight shots.

Photo 8 was taken with artificial lighting. The results are equal to photo 4.

Basically the pictures and processing are identical on the Google Camera and Open Camera.
    I had more apps installed, but earlier shots were showing the same results, so I did not include them into this comparison.
    The OOS Camera basically wins every time in lowlight.

Daylight pictures are hard to judge as it tends to make them quite clean with its denoising (see Yoda!)
    Google and Open Camera show a slightly more noise, but one could argue that they are preserving more detail.

As I already mentioned earlier, the OOS Camera sometimes goes way too far when there is slight movement involved in the scene:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbn9Lj6F6EM
    that includes peoples faces in perfect lighting. I will continue shooting with Google Camera in these occasions to compare
    the behaviour to the OOS Camera.

In terms of focus speed and accuracy, all apps performed the same.

I was using CM13 for a day, the day before it got official nightlies, and can say that camera quality
    is identical to what you get with Google Camera on Oxygen OS.
    Unfortunately this means that when you are going to do lowlight shots, you will get worse results.
    I really hope we will get a fully working OOS camera port in the future.
    Until then I am forced to stay on OxygenOS.

edit: Before I get any of these posts to just use manual mode or raw, or... this is not the goal of this comparison ok :)

Oh, the OOS Camera App is the only app with this issue because it uses proprietary postprocessing to filter out noise, which is not available for other camera apps.
    Other apps use the same "basic" postprocessing which is nearly identical in good lighting, or much worse in bad lighting compared to the OOS Camera.

Google Camera https://abload.de/img/img_20160723_001912tkqmo.jpg

Stock Camera https://abload.de/img/img_20160723_001920t9q4y.jpg

Google Camera https://abload.de/img/img_20160723_002156l7rpb.jpg

Stock Camera https://abload.de/img/img_20160723_002205h1q8y.jpg

In lowlight, no apps beats the OOS camera.
    In daylight and depending on the subject you will often get more details with third-party apps, but more noise.
    But I need to do more testing, especially when taking pictures of people to really see the differences.

In terms of focusing I did not see a difference. I might test Open Camera later.
    For flawless quality, just enable DNG RAW file save and process images yourself. DNG files offer vastly superior dynamic range because the 31 MB files contain all red, green and blue subpixel data, unprocessed.

For wider range of manual controls, I recommend AZ Camera, it has full manual controls for video as well. I also like A Better Camera, I use it's HDR mode which has far superior (albeit grainy) multi-shot processing. Manual Camera is always an option, I just prefer AZ Camera because of video settings and I like AZ Screen recorder.

At the end of the day, stock app image quality is not that bad, though HDR is more denoised since oxygen OS 3.2.2.
    A camera with a much better auto focus is what I am looking for also

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    How about uploading to Youtube? Or any other Place, does not really matter. Oh, i honestly did not know.

I just know that i am too lazy for using the manual tweaks to get perfection��

There you go