Warning: HTC CC C200 (Genuine car charger)

Search This thread

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
I use my old Nokia N97 car charger - works fine IMO but I just use it to give some juice on a journey if needed

Orka82

Aug 26, 2008
Stockholm
Can people tell which charger gives enough power to charge the Desire during heavy use (3G data+gps) ? My old one (Genuine HTC Pharos) is supposed to give 1A but my Desire keeps discharging (slowly but surely).

1A is sufficient.

The problem is in the charger! The data wires need to be connected to each other.

The USB 1/2 standard allows 500mA. If you connect your Desire to the computer, the phone has to know that it cant pull more than 500mA or you can damage your computer. Desire knows this as it can tell when the data wires are connected to each other.

Desire needs about 700-800mA when using data, gps and other at the same time. The 500 allowed mA from the computer are not enough to charge the battery at the same time. If your charger is able to provide at least 1A the data wires in the cable or in the charger needs to be connected to each other! This is the case in HTC original car charger.

Look for chargers with at least 1A. You can build your own cable or strip the cable you have today and connect the white and green wire (with each other) going to the phone. If you do this, dont use the cable with a computer. Just for charging. It's best to do the modification in the plug. Open it up and make sure that the middle pins make contact with each other. In that way you can use any microusb-cable to charge your phone in the car.

Yea, should work. But You need to be superduper sure about the Amps output of the charger. There are stories on the forums about chargers that are too weak to charge the phone during GPS + GPRS operation. I wonder if they would menage to charge a phone operating just the GPS (non GPRS related turn-by-turn navigation program). Anyway, in case You buy one of these, give us a call if it menages to charge the phone like it should.

It's not just about the amps i'm afraid. :)

Edit:
You can tell if your cable/plug are correct wired.
Go to Settings - About the phone - Battery
Look what it says.
Charging (USB) or Charging (AC).
It should read AC to give the power needed in heavy use and it will, IF your charger gives at least 1A and the data wires connected with each other. :)

You can have like 50A but it makes no difference. The phone will only use 0.5A if.. well, you get the point. ;)

I hope my English is ok.

Edit again.
I found this, same info.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=6443313&postcount=18

Last edited:

jungli3

Aug 28, 2010
I bought one anyway

I must say for 12.50, it is quite nice.

It does infact work, however you must depress the plug firmly into the socket as to allow no play once inserted. Led lights blue when things are a GO.

And the coiled micro USB cable is a nice touch.

This is all tested in my BMW 330.

Also when I plugged my HTC Evo up, and view battery status, it was shown as Charging (AC) as opposed to Charging (USB) which takes much longer.

On a side note if you use the Evo car upgrade kit with the micro usb port plugged to the base of the dock, it infact is not charging via AC but the lesser USB.

I love this thing so far!

but, heed the warning as I can see how this could be a problem for different vehicle 12v sockets.

If you have a 3 series bmw, go for it.

and it takes up less room than the dual usb which is more oval and bulkier overall.

love this forum guys appreciate your expertise, helps me alot being I'm a first time android and htc owner.

cheers!

InkZ

Jul 24, 2009
C200 doesn't work in a 206 as the OP said. Works fine in my Golf but dunno what to get for my GF's car :/

grentuu

Jan 9, 2011
Just outside of Manchester UK
I know this is an old thread but I have just purchased the HTC car kit and had the same problem. No matter what I did the charger wouldn't charge. I bought a cheapo which would charge but not in ac mode so it just drained when using Copilot.

Phoned Handtec where I bought the car kit from and they send me a brandnew usb plug (same model) this one fits into the cigarette lighter and charges on AC. Happy bunny!

luisant

Feb 21, 2009
Well it kind of is the Car's fault. There are at least two standards for the sockets and many smaller cars have a shorter lighter socket (i.E. small Opel/Vauxhall,Renault,...).
I have a VW Polo myself and not having any trouble, it fits perfectly without having to push it down.
So its just a matter of having a short or long socket ;)

Waterbeds1

Nov 2, 2011
Yea, i picked up one of these htc car chargers and it works fine, in my caddilac, heard of connectors not fitting in certain cars, but mine works great with all kinds of different phones, love the coiled cable for syncing as well!

WTF?

Oct 13, 2011
USA
I think the OP's loose fit is likely that he got a counterfeit HTC car charger

- cell phone accessories are hard to find genuine, even amazon has a lot of fakes slipping through

anne5louise

Jul 8, 2014
I use Avantek. Great quality car charger. I had purchased the same charger you got and it started becoming loose so it wouldn't charge my phone at times. This one fits snug and secure in the cigarette lighter outlet.