599 bytes · Views: 1,652
  • stat_sys_battery_charge_anim4.png
    stat_sys_battery_charge_anim4.png
    727 bytes · Views: 1,717

AndyD777

Mar 29, 2010
UK
Nope killed it again LOL.

Using Root Explorer, once you paste the file in it doesn't let you change the folder back to R/O

Time to learn abit more CLI and Linux skills :D

Keegan_P

Jun 30, 2010
Calgary
All my image editing tools (i.e. Photoshop Elements) are on my Mac, but I'm having problems finding a 7zip like program on the mac which just lets you dump the files without unarchiving it. Does anyone know of a program or a way to get around this problem, or will I have to wait 'til I get my new laptop in early August to make this theme?

Yes, I have searched, but all of them say to unpack and then sign the folder, which this guide clearly instructs not to do.

Keegan_P

Jun 30, 2010
Calgary
Im editing this post, cause I got it!

Guide to modifying framework-res.apk without extracting on a Mac:

1) Get Betterzip ( I'm using the trial right now) http://macitbetter.com/

2) Modify the extension of the pulled apk file to.zip, so that betterzip is able to open it.

3) Ctrl+click on the new.zip file and Open with Betterzip.

4) ????

5) PROFIT!!!

Sorry, couldn't help myself with the reference.

Keegan_P

Jun 30, 2010
Calgary
I found a potentially valuable apk found in /system/app/. It's called launcher.apk and it has a few important things in it such as the drawer. Gonna theme the pngs along with the rest and send em to Gavriel to push and put them in to the proper areas without getting extracted. I'll be done my part by Monday, hopefully the theme will be done soon after.

Sent from my X10a using XDA App

Zer0_

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto
I found a potentially valuable apk found in /system/app/. It's called launcher.apk and it has a few important things in it such as the drawer. Gonna theme the pngs along with the rest and send em to Gavriel to push and put them in to the proper areas without getting extracted. I'll be done my part by Monday, hopefully the theme will be done soon after.

I think the launcher.apk has to do with the official home screen that the phone comes with.. I dont think it has anything to do with ppl who uninstalled it and replaced it with adw launcher

Keegan_P

Jun 30, 2010
Calgary
Is it possible to change the text colour of btns? Cause I'm changing the colour of them to black, and I want to make the text white.

dan-htc-touch

Dec 6, 2007
calgary
Im editing this post, cause I got it!

Guide to modifying framework-res.apk without extracting on a Mac:

1) Get Betterzip ( I'm using the trial right now) http://macitbetter.com/

2) Modify the extension of the pulled apk file to.zip, so that betterzip is able to open it.

3) Ctrl+click on the new.zip file and Open with Betterzip.

4) ????

5) PROFIT!!!

Sorry, couldn't help myself with the reference.

haha @ underwear gnomes :)

4) replace some graphics

5) save and push to device :)

gavriel18

Nov 26, 2007
Ottawa
Not got one yet, just wondering if anyone managed it successfully. Did this change ALL the backgrounds from MediaScape to Messaging?

The changes aren't all within each apk. By changing the semcbackground the above change occurred as well as messaging and the half of the incoming call screen below the contact. I didn't notice any other changes but ill double check

Edit: the only apk i have modded is
framework-res.apk. nothing else

Also email app shows new bg as well as trackid

Keegan_P

Jun 30, 2010
Calgary
I found the icon for the icon for the lock! I guess ill be making a clean version of my theme, and otherwise. Let's just say, if you get the wrong password, a certain finger might be shown.

Edit: just realised that the padlock icon shows up even when you haven't inducted any pattern :-(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Updated: July 24/2010 Go to the X10 Theme repo for a listing of uploaded themes.

Thanks to everyone that is helping out and contributing. I also apologize if I rip anything off. If I do please post it and I will definitely correct it.

The usual disclaimer goes with this... Use at your own risk and backup your system before making any changes. You know what to do if you run into problems :)

I think this is important...

Links for various stuff:
    framework-res.apk
    /system/app/ folder
    startup show (boot animation)
    Mms.apk
    Phonebook.apk

apps2sd-work in progress?
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=7037044#post7037044

Many visual aspects of the os and system apps can be changed and surprisingly easily. By default when opening an apk you should look around the res-drawable folders for the pngs to edit. If you have noticed, there are some png's that look like xxx.9.png. To modify these files easily, remove the 9 from the filename and open with your preferred editor. When you are done editing the files save them, open the command prompt and type draw9patch. This should open a window with an arrow in it. Drag your file there and I'm pretty sure it goes into the same folder. That's it.

If you are using a mac use betterzip and take a look here.
    You can also use root explorer (I havent tried this myself)

Step 1:
    Connect phone to pc, enable usb debugging and open adb. Type:
    adb pull /system/framework/framework-res.apk framework-res.apk
    That will pull your framework-res.apk to whatever folder is displaying in your command line.
    Step 2:
    Find the framework-res.apk on your hard drive, right click and open with 7zip.
    Step 3:
    Use png's here or create your own and dump into the appropriate folder within framework-res.apk.
    Step 4:
    When you are done editing the files open up adb and type the following command:
    adb shell mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock2 /system
    adb push framework-res.apk /sdcard/framework-res.apk
    adb shell dd if=/sdcard/framework-res.apk of=/system/framework/framework-res.apk

That will put the new framework-res.apk on your phone. It should automatically reboot (if not reboot it) and your changes should be applied!
    When running the script above you can replace framework-res.apk with whatever you want. For example, Timescape.apk
    Remember, it is CASE sensitive I made this problem many times)

If you would like to pull an entire folder put a slash at the end of the last word. For example, adb pull /system/etc /etc"/" (no " in actual script :p)

Courtesy of corruptfate is the steps to modify the startupshow (post #207)

step 1: open adb shell
    step 2: type "adb shell"
    step 3: type "su"
    step 4: type "mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system"
    step 5: type "mkdir system/etc/semc/startupshow"
    step 6: exit and redo step 1 - 4
    step 7: type "mkdir system/etc/semc/startupshow/default"
    step 8: exit and open command prompt again, this time type "ddms"
    step 9: look for the default folder in system > etc > semc > startupshow > default
    step 10: push the images into that folder

Possible reasons your phone won't boot after modifications:
    images anren't stored properly, right format, right size etc.
    unpacked apk improperly, use 7zip, it doesn't mess anything up
    you signed the package before pushing it- unless you know what you're doing follow the directions to a tee and you should be fine
    pushed the package to the wrong directory, /system/framework-res.apk XX, /system/framework/framework-res.apk
    I'm sure many other reasons, these were the only ones I encountered

How to get past boot screen:
    Use backup framework-res.apk and push that one to your phone. Remember to place that one where the modified one is.

To see if adb sees your phone type adb devices, if a serial number pops up try pushing your original, if not...
    Flash your phone again from scratch :( . Sorry, I don't know any better way yet.

Please post your themes and download themes from the X10 theme repo