Find Your Device:
yollasho
22nd July 2010, 07:45 AM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
Optical wake working for me
EDIT-Short Version...
-:Have Clockwork Recovery Installed and know how to use ADB:-
-DOWNLOAD ATTACHED qwerty.kl (may need 7zip to extract file from archive...)
-BOOT into CLOCKWORK recovery with NO USB PLUGGED INto phone!!!
-PARTITIONS>MOUNT /SYSTEM
-adb push qwerty.kl /system/usr/keylayout|adb reboot

END EDIT

First android phone! I love it. I too wanted optical press-to-wake, particularly because my ATT case made the power button a bit of a pain to press. First real post, been here a bit, I mostly just read/search.

Anyways...I had been searching around the file system getting myself acquainted with android and found /system/usr/keylayout.
It has 4 files in it, one of which is qwerty.kl. It sounded promising so I checked it out.

Long story short, I took a look at it, tried changing our DPAD_CENTER to WAKE instead of WAKE_DROPPED (just like the power button, seemed logical ), but it didn't work. Did some more searching and saw that the key was key # 272 on another phone instead of 232 in our qwerty.kl. I have it working now. Here's the thread I read to figure it out http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=729923

I did this in windows...(I have ADB working and Clockwork Recovery, you should get these too, invaluable tools)

1. Boot into clockworkmod recovery
2. Go to Partions Menu and Mount /System
3. adb pull /system/usr/keylayout/qwerty.kl (this pulls a file, qwerty.kl, and puts it in your adb tools directory)
4. Now you need to open the qwerty.kl file and edit it.
5. Use notepad, or notepad++, or vi, anything really.
6. Search qwerty.kl for key 232 DPAD_CENTER WAKE_DROPPED
7. Change 232 to 272
8. Change WAKE_DROPPED to just WAKE
9. Save the file
Now we need to push the file back to the device. This sounds very easy, and is, except I had trouble and got stuck in clockwork twice and had to pull the battery, as I think when I went to select reboot or unmount in clockwork (using the trackpad...), my newly changed trackpad was probably making everything act up. So I tried twice and had to pull batt twice before I just figured I would streamline my commands. (edit-trackpad works normally in clockwork after next step.)
10. do this! adb push qwerty.kl /system/usr/keylayout|adb reboot

This will push your new qwerty.kl file to the phone and reboot it without you having to use the trackpad which could leave you potentially stuck in clockwork recovery, thus avoiding the inconvenience of taking off your case/back.

I attached my qwerty.kl in a 7z archive so you hopefully can just extract it to wherever you need it and just adb push it to /system/usr/keylayout.

Good luck. Let me know if it works.

When the phone reboots you will be able to press the optical trackpad and wake the phone!

I haven't really tested it more than waking the phone a half dozen times but it seems to do what I want. When getting stuck in clockwork concerns me, I will simply edit my qwerty.kl file as needed when doing clockworkmod recovery work as it is a fairly simple and straightforward process.

EDIT-phone functions EXACTLY as before except can now wake via trackpad press!
Attached Files
File Type: 7z qwerty.7z - [Click for QR Code] (604 Bytes, 208 views)
Last edited by yollasho; 3rd August 2010 at 01:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ]