New features of FroYo summarized! [Updated: Aug 06, 2010 @ 17:30]

Search This thread

tommienu

May 24, 2010
can anyone at least tell me whether the fps of the 720p videocrecording is acceptable?
Recorded with my HTC Desire running Froyo:
Youtube - Video-ID: BlaviXoQszI
(sorry, can't post outbound links yet - maybe someone can quote this and put in the proper link? Thanks).

Unfortunately are the stutter/hacks in the original file as well.

MD1500

Aug 1, 2010
The update seems to have removed the black HTC Search widget. The standard white Google Search widget looks out of place with my other black widgets on my home screen.

Loving the rest of the update.

ouglouck

Aug 1, 2010
Khazad-dûm
Has anyone tried the chrome to phone extension ?
It doesn't work for me, phone is connected but it just says "Sent to the phone", and then nothing.

Also, the new "News and meteo" app has an error in the translation of the italian days:
It's L-G-M-G-V-S-D instead of L-M-M-G-V-S-D. I hate thursday, I don't want to have two thursday in a week >:|

Edit: nevermind, I rebooted the phone and Chrome To Phone works perfectly :)

The Chrome to phone extension works for me (HTC Desire). Did you install the .apk program on your phone ?

Vincentdh

Jul 11, 2010
Recorded with my HTC Desire running Froyo:
Youtube - Video-ID: BlaviXoQszI
(sorry, can't post outbound links yet - maybe someone can quote this and put in the proper link? Thanks).

Unfortunately are the stutter/hacks in the original file as well.
I am getting similar quality on both my Desire with still an old test version of froyo aswell on my sisters Desire which is running the official froyo release... However I don't have those hickups occuring.. fps is around 20 ish.

chingf0rd

Aug 24, 2008
London
People app - keyboard

So far loving the Froyo update on my Desire and whilst going thru all the new features, I came across this weird one (not sure if it was on Eclair):

On running the People app, you can hold down the Menu button to bring up the keyboard. I was expecting that you could type in the contact name to search, but no, it brings up a weird opaque black box that show what you type but nothing happens...and this box just stays there unless you hold down the delete key for a few seconds.

Any idea what on earth this is meant to do?

crozuk

Jun 6, 2010
Bristol
So far loving the Froyo update on my Desire and whilst going thru all the new features, I came across this weird one (not sure if it was on Eclair):

On running the People app, you can hold down the Menu button to bring up the keyboard. I was expecting that you could type in the contact name to search, but no, it brings up a weird opaque black box that show what you type but nothing happens...and this box just stays there unless you hold down the delete key for a few seconds.

Any idea what on earth this is meant to do?

Also very curious as to what this is meant to be!

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

Cwiiis

Aug 31, 2009
Unfortunately, long-pressing and adding to play-list/playing on an item in the music player still adds them in alphabetical order. Quite surprised they didn't fix this when they've clearly made other improvements in this area (much faster, slightly better look)

Also, I'm kind of disappointed that they've replaced Flash Lite with official android flash - The latter has much better compatibility, but the former performed much better and didn't cause as much slow-down, or lag behind the page scrolling. Not holding out much hope for Adobe fixing this, given the quality of Flash on all other platforms :p

Overall a good update though, pleased with the speed boost and some of the new features :)

doggie123

Mar 28, 2010
Swiping the trackpad ++

Another notable improvement, at least to me: swiping the trackpad to move the text cursor has become 10x more sensitive, faster, and more accurate. I always felt it was mediocre, in 2.2 it is superb!

It is also faster when using it to jump between links in a webpage, almost too fast, but that's hopefully just a matter of getting used to it :)

doggie123

Mar 28, 2010
Bookmark sorting

Found one more: the browser now remembers the last sort order for bookmarks, even after a reboot. Finally we can set it to Alphabetic and be done with it!

vick82sydney

Jul 6, 2010
anyone know if the sense mail pack can do mltiple exchange accounts now ?

wasntleeting me add 2nd one with any custom roms... had to use other app

rottunix

Jul 25, 2010
Ok, while having fun with FroYo I notice a lot of new things. Let's try to compile them all together.

Overall:
- It's faster
- Dialer has new Android robot, kinda 3D looking one now.
- Now vibrates on shutdown (Found by Domsdey)
- Screen can now also be rotated to the right! (Found by martintzvetomirov)
- New Task Switcher when holding Home button. Displays 8 apps instead of 6. (Found by steve228uk)
- No more accidental screen activation by proximity sensor while talking with bluetooth. (Found by jordanxp)
- Android Cloud to Device Messaging support, Eg. ChromeToPhone to send links, maps directly to phone from chrome/firefox browser (Found by psycop)

New Apps:
- Launcher has been renamed from All Programs to All Apps (Found by steve228uk)
- HTC Share App
- News & Weather
- Videos
- Voice Search
- WiFi Hotspot
- Torchlight
- Search (Google)
- Pictures renamed to Gallery

New Widgets:
- Calculator Widget (Found by jaymit)
- FM Radio Widget (Found by martintzvetomirov)
- Market Widget (Found by jaymit)

Settings:
- Wireless Networks contains settings for WiFi Hotspot
- New menu for Screen settings.
- New menu for Speech settings.
- App screen is split up in 4 tabs: Downloaded | Only actived | All apps | On SD-Card
- New sound setting that allows lock/unlock sounds. (Found by loizoskounios)
- new volume settings that lets you independently change Ringtone, Media, Alarm and if seperate, Notification volume. (Found by aindow)
- Missing: Privacy menu, including the option for backup to SD card. (Found by gush)

Lockscreen:
- It's no longer possible to unlock the slide-down screen by pressing menu. (Found by kevano22)
- The screen unclock sequence can be set to engage after some minutes, or immediatly. (Better formulated by elek_it)
- Can now be a pattern lock, PIN lock or an alphanumeric password
- The lock pattern has grey middle buttons instead of black.
- Instead of just the time of the next alarm time. It also shows which day.

Keyboard:
- Keyboard now allows for Chinese input
- Keyboard now allows for quick language change.
- User dictionary no longer jumps to top when editing a word (Found by jaymit)
- Seperate screen for deleting user dictionary words, allowing for batch deleting.
- Bug: If keyboard is set to Russian (Pусский), pressing spacebar will output an exclamation mark "!" instead of a space (Found by monsterfly)

Browser:
- Adobe Flash 10.1 support is built in (make sure plugins are allowed in settings!) (Found by martintzvetomirov)

Calendar:
Facebook events and birthdays are available in calendar. (Found by Sikacik)

Camera/Camcorder:
- Camera icons now rotate along with a smooth animation when rotating the phone (Found by @MARK)
- 3 codecs to choose from: H.263, H.264 and MPEG4
- 720p Recording possible with MPEG4 Codec.
- Zoom not available with 720p video recording. (Found by andrew2106)
- Flashlight can be set on during video recording. (Found by monsterfly)

Contacts
- Option to automatically send someone directly to voicemail now. (Already in 2.1 according to Bouncer5)
- Facebook tab has more features (Found by Mike1988)

FM Radio:
- Radio now has RDS support. (Found by thpoul)
- FM Radio no longer has Japan Mode (Found by aindow)

Friend Stream:
- Now shows time of post, amount of comments and amount of likes. (Found by kazgor)

Messaging:
- The bottom box to type text is bigger.
- Now shows how many characters you have left from the start.
- New icon for send.
- New icon for attaching something.
- Scrolls smoother when a conversation has a lot of messages.
- Bug: UTF-8 issue with Greek sms still exists. (Found by thpoul)

Gallery:
- Icons from the Sharing menu are smaller. In portrait mode, all are visible in 1 view.

Gmail:
- Labels now have same color as those in Gmail on the web. (Found by @MARK)
- Now displays your email adres all the time in the upper-right corner.
- Displays a small icon of the person that send the mail if you have them in your address book.
- When viewing a mail, there are now buttons to go to the next and previous mail.
- Can copy text to clipboard now via menu button.

Google Talk
- New interface

Market:
- New option to allow automatic updates. (Found by jaymit)
- New seperate tab for app comments.
- Can now mark comments as: Useful, not useful and spam.

Music Player:
- When no cover available, the music note is now green.
- Pressing next has a much smoother CoverFlow animation
- Genres are fixed now.
- Pressing the left-button to open up the menu happens much faster.
- Shuffle seems better (not sure, but don't bump into same song that often anymore).

Is it me or is Places also a new app?

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

lssong99

Jul 15, 2005
Great thread! That really is a substantial update. More like an upgrade I'd say.

Qs: Can you now choose which folders to view (and exclude) in the Gallery?

Put '.nomedia' (without quote) file in the folder you don't want Gallery to access. Also works for music player.

The other way is to hide the folder by change its name to .name (add a dot) but this will broke other app that need to access this folder.
-----------------------------------
- Sent via my HTC Desire -

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

darkpain

Sep 25, 2008
Limassol
www.thedarkpain.com
After discovering and exploring my new rom for hours iam very excited with the result!!Much faster,great keyboard(more languages,smileys insertion,more space in messages,characters are showing now),also i like the flashlight but i have noticed that the htc search bar widget is been replaced by googles one and no more color options!!!!

harvey007

Apr 26, 2010
Froyo's original gallery 3d with pinch to peek

Too bad HTC has a customized version of the gallery installed. I was looking forward to froyo's original gallery 3d with all the pinch to peek fluff.

I've already searched but I'm not sure if there is already an apk for this somewhere in this forum. If anybody has any idea about this, please post a link, thanks!

madsere

May 2, 2010
Do you know if there is still the problem with the photos of the contacts' quality when syncing?

I would think that is unchanged as it is something Google do when syncing, not the phone.

and one more bug.
Gallery can see resource pictures for bookmarks, that is not good..

Same problem with sound files available to the music player regardless of location. This is apparently "by design". Check out http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3129. If you disagree with it please add your voice to the discussion so perhaps one day the Android developers may change this.

Hay people just tried the google maps and went to street view and with 2.2 this compus is as smooth as butter unlike the jurkey control I had with 2.1. Check it out, works the way I wished it would, now I wonder how about layers?

How do you get street view up in Google maps on the Desire? I can't seem to find it anywhere.