New features of FroYo summarized! [Updated: Aug 06, 2010 @ 17:30]

Search This thread

th3

Apr 13, 2010
UK-KSA-S.E.Asia
I just wanted to confirm that the updated HTC Car Panel is missing from the released OTA update.

What I'm talking about is the following:

gVOEQ.jpg

So far I've seen people claim the "Car Dock" works and then instructions that give me the following:

nbYiE.png

As you can see, Car Dock is shown by a lock icon and there are additional Dock settings.

These do not bring up the panel shown above.

Can anyone fill me in?
Those settings only appear for me when the phone is docked and within them is the option to run Car Panel automatically when docked but no such app starts. It's missing from the installed apps by default.

I installed that app manually and it's working just like 2.1 (rooted HTC 2.2 ROM). You can go to settings and when docked, it will launch automatically.

http://bit.ly/coluWx
http://bit.ly/bL9Wac

-----------------------------------
- Sent via my HTC Desire -

mscha

Jun 7, 2006
Amstelveen
Another browser change: embedded YouTube videos are no longer redirected to the YouTube player, but you have to watch them embedded in the page, using Flash.
A much worse experience, IMO.

– Michael

sssubhash

Jul 5, 2010
Bangalore
Runs fine but apart from the bling, it can't match the HTC gallery in anything.

I wouldn't be so sure. I downloaded the N1 3D Gallery primarily for Picasa sync. If you use Picasa and multiple accounts, 3D gallery is a must.

Subhash
-HTC Desire 2.2:)

benko286

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 2, 2008
Croatia, Zagreb
What a great thread.

I have found one problem:
In a "stock"(clean) froyo there was an option to vibrate when there is a new notification only when phone is in silent mode. I can't find that option, I have only found it on gmail app, but no in messaging settings or sound settings :(

al89nut

Apr 20, 2010
Southampton
Those settings only appear for me when the phone is docked and within them is the option to run Car Panel automatically when docked but no such app starts. It's missing from the installed apps by default.

I installed that app manually and it's working just like 2.1 (rooted HTC 2.2 ROM). You can go to settings and when docked, it will launch automatically.

http://bit.ly/coluWx
http://bit.ly/bL9Wac

Where did you get the Car Panel app from mate?

Bouncer5

Jun 10, 2010
Glasgow
Another browser change: embedded YouTube videos are no longer redirected to the YouTube player, but you have to watch them embedded in the page, using Flash.

– Michael

When I click on the video on the "Desktop" site, It asked me if I wish to open it with "Internet" or "Youtube" Perhaps you should clear the defaults for both applications.

RaptorRVL

Jun 7, 2005

– Michael

When I click on the youtube video again, it asks with what to open. And thank god, you can select the youtube app and not the HTC one!
So I thought it's a step forward!

Not sure if this works everywhere though, but most websites with a youtube player work like this.

mscha

Jun 7, 2006
Amstelveen
When I click on the video on the "Desktop" site, It asked me if I wish to open it with "Internet" or "Youtube" Perhaps you should clear the defaults for both applications.
Yeah, that works, once it's playing, you can click on it and be redirected to the YouTube app.
Still, it's annoying, it now takes three steps (if you have plugins set to on demand):
  1. Click on the placeholder to load the Flash plugin
  2. Click on the video to start playing
  3. Click on the choppily playing video to open in the YouTube player
– Michael

th3

Apr 13, 2010
UK-KSA-S.E.Asia
What a great thread.

I have found one problem:
In a "stock"(clean) froyo there was an option to vibrate when there is a new notification only when phone is in silent mode. I can't find that option, I have only found it on gmail app, but no in messaging settings or sound settings :(
You mean this? http://bit.ly/bazTae

On the rooted HTC 2.2 ROM.

* vCards can be read and saved now in the Messages app - not in Handcent.

brianius

Sep 21, 2007
Thanks for this great thread to kekkle and all helpers!

No japan mode for fm radio anymore?!?! oh that's really one of the only things that i will miss - Will there be a way to get the japan mode back (or set any possible frequencies?) - is closed source by htc so far i know.

Hope my old apps will all work with 2.2 - Has somebody found apps that won't work after update to 2.2?
Especially Navigon Mobile Navigator is very important to me (still on 2.5.1)!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Pepi70

Jun 22, 2008
email client

Now the email client is capable to send mail when offline via outbox.
2.1 release did not.

snark_be

Sep 17, 2008
Nexus 7 (2013)
Hope my old apps will all work with 2.2 - Has somebody found apps that won't work after update to 2.2?
Especially Navigon Mobile Navigator is very important to me (still on 2.5.1)!
Well, Copilot Live 8 (also a navigation software) did not work anymore after update to 2.2. I had to install a new version (8.2.0.218) that is compatible with Froyo.