Or Continue to Thread: How to root the Droid 2
Find Your Device:
27th August 2010, 07:17 AM   |  #1645  
Flag Fremont, CA
Thanks Meter: 30

509 posts
Donate to Me
More
ANOTHER UPDATE: I've just released a three-part script that will root your phone. Have a version for Windows and Linux, and I think the Linux version will work for Mac as well. Go here for more info!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=782344

Another Update: Procedure to Root the Droid 2 and Droid X on Linux(Ubuntu) here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=340

Update: THIS ROOTING PROCESS WORKS FOR BOTH 2.2.19.A955 AND 2.2.20.A955! This method is claimed to also works for Droid X running Froyo 2.2!!!

Hi all. Thanks to all that previously contributed to make the rooting process easier. I'd like to pay it forward a little bit and add some notes to help others figure out how to root their Droid 2 phone. Please read my notes BEFORE you do the steps! Hope it helps. A lot of errors/trouble people are running into is because they did not read the notes! Also, be careful of how you type the commands. The punctuations, the spaces, the directions of the clashes, the casings, they all matter and they all make a difference.

I used the instruction and files from the original post here.

There is no guarantee to this information. Simply providing it to help others root their phone. If you **** up your Droid2, you **** it up. I can not be held responsible. The process isn't difficult. The instructions were a little vague, though, and that is why I added my notes.

For everyone's information, I an running Windows XP SP3, 32bit.

Edit: I have put the commands in bold so that you know what you need to enter into the command prompt.

COPY AND PASTE THE COMMANDS INTO THE COMMAND PROMPT. IT WILL SAVE YOU A LOT OF TIME. IT WILL REDUCES YOUR CHANCES OF MAKING AN ERROR. AND YOU WILL BE MORE HAPPY. Highlight the commands here and Edit/copy or Ctrl+c, and then in the command prompt window, right-click and paste!

Edit: If you are new or haven't rooted, ignore this comment. If you've already rooted your phone on 2.2.19 using this method and you've updated to 2.2.20, you can skip to the first Kirby <('.'<) to begin rerooting. Make sure your working directory is the tools folder: ex. C:\android-sdk-windows\tools.

Reference: I stole the rerooting process from somewhere. Once I find it, I will credit the original poster.

= = =

***NOTE: Proceed at your own risk. I and the providers of this code are not responsible for anything you do to your phone!***

Setup:
- Install adb (here) and Motorola drivers for windows(32-bit or 64-bit)
[You need to install and update Android SDK. The program comes in a .rar file. Open the file and extract the android-sdk-windows folder to your C drive, C:\. You will need to run the setup program (SDK Setup) in that folder. It will open a user interface. You just need to update the SDK 2.2 API package. Now install the Motorola Drivers if you haven't done so already. Recommend you get the latest drivers.]

- Download attached archive [Droid2Root.rar, 4 files in it]
[Download: http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...6&d=1282754318 ]

- Extract the four files in Droid2Root.rar to the tools folder in your android-sdk-windows folder.
In other words, extract the 4 files to [U]c:\android-sdk-windows\tools

- Make sure you have USB degugging is enabled on your phone.
On your phone, this is under Settings->Applications->Development, check USB debugging.

- Change connection to PC Mode
When you plug your phone into your computer with USB, there should be a notice in the “window blind.” Select the USB connection detected and choose PC Mode. Phone should disconnect from the computer and reconnect again.

Process:
- Open command prompt
[Start Menu->Run->cmd.exe]

- Navigate to your tools folder in android-sdk-windows in command prompt.
cd c:/android-sdk-windows/tools
Your command line prompt should now say something like:
C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>

- adb devices (to verify the connection)
[You should see a device listed.]

[These next 4 steps, after entering each one, you'll see an amount of data transferred.]
- adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk

- adb push su /sdcard/su

- adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox

- adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

- adb shell
[The command line should now start with a “$” instead of c:\] <('.'<) [Ignore Kirby]

- cd data/local/tmp
<('.'<) [Ignore Kirby]
[after typing in this next command, it won't really say anything, it'll just spit back out your command. This is normal.
ex.

$ cd data/local/tmp
cd data/local/tmp

It will be like this for the cd command and the chmod(next) command.]

- chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
<('.'<) [Ignore Kirby]

- ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
[Type this exactly like it is.] <('.'<) [Ignore Kirby]

- let the process run until it 'kicks' you out (may take a minute or two)
[This actually took me awhile before the program kicked me out. Go do something productive for 5 minutes then come back. I actually washed dishes and cleaned up my room while I waited. You'll know when it is done when you it'll kick you back to the DOS command. It'll look something like this:
c:\android-sdk-windows\tools>

added: I've heard from many others that this can take a few minutes, 5 minutes, or 10 minutes, or a little longer. Use your best judgment.

doomedromance suggests that you do not do anything after pressing enter. If you touch anything, the process will take longer.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=262

If you think it is taking longer than it should, do this.

With the $ still showing, exit out of the shell. Type exit and press enter. It'll throw you back to MS-DOS. Might even try exiting out of MS-DOS and reopening it. Whatever it make be, make sure you are back in the tools folder.

ex. C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>

Go ahead and run shell and following 3 command again. Those are the ones marked with Kirby! <('.'<) ]

- adb devices (to verify the connection)

- adb shell (you should now have a # prompt, if not return to ./rage step above)

[All these next steps, make sure you type them as is here. The command line prompt is now # like stated in the step above. The commands will act like the “$” commands above where you enter it, and it'll spit you the command back out.]

- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system

- cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk

- cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
(For the new Droid X leaked Froyo version, use this command instead:
cp /sdcard/su /system/xbin/su
Unconfirmed.)

- cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox

- chmod 4755 /system/bin/su

- chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox

- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system

- exit [This one will exit you out of adb. Command line now starts with C:\]

- exit [This one will exit you out of MS-DOS/Command prompt.]

And that's it! Pretty easy!

Added: If you've found these notes helpful and would like to show your gratitude, I am accepting donations. I am in a tight bind at the moment and need another $100 to get to the end of the week. Moving into a new/different place and I need just a little more to cover the first months and deposit. I am not trying to profit off my notes, just need a little help this month. Every bit helps, even a dollar or two. Donations can be Paypal'ed to darkonion@kimete.com.
Last edited by darkonion; 14th September 2010 at 07:48 AM. Reason: More formatting, more clarifications, more troubleshooting