[FIX] Release: 3-button combo fix for any firmware version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Richthofen

Jul 13, 2010
In the land of the blind
Yesterday Samsung released a update for Bell GT-I9000M which fixed the missing 3-button combo issue (i.e faulty secondary bootloader, SBL).

Unfortunately the fix is currently only available to Bell customers thru Kies, so a registry hack and excess flashing is needed to update the bootloader to another variants.

I have been working on a new P-SBL Redbend fix, but unfortunately I bricked my phone (three times actually :D) while testing it.

It seems that Redbend cannot program multiple blocks in a single run, unless the OTA commands are used (they are currently unknown). I could program the two blocks but the phone turned in a brick after succesfull programming. The reason is unknown.

Thats why I decided to revert back to Odin method.

With the newest method it is unnecessary to flash XWJM5 firmware in first, as the compatible Primitive Bootloader is included in the same package and will be updated at the same time with the Secondary Bootloader.

So here is the procedure (once again):

Preparations: Make sure you have the drivers installed (i.e Kies is recognizing the phone), adb available and "USB Debugging" turned on in "Settings -> Applications -> Development" menu. Type *#0228# in the dialer and check Voltage value (without USB plugged in) is atleast 3800(mV).

1. Unplug the phone from the computer (if connected)
2. Kill all Kies related software (tray agent, etc)
3. Start Odin3 v1.3 Downloader
4. Plug in the phone to the computer
5. Start a new command prompt and navigate to the folder / drive where adb is located.
If you haven´t downloaded adb yet, get it here.
6. Type "adb reboot download" to the command prompt and press enter.
7. Move to Odin3 v1.3 downloader and select the "Aries_P-SBL.tar.md5" as PDA file. Make sure "Phone Bootloader Update" is ticked and re-partition is unticked. Do not select any other files but "Aries_P-SBL.tar.md5".
8. Press "Start" button to launch the update process. It will take around three seconds to complete. After the update phone will reboot automatically.

Download the fix: GT-I9000_P-SBL_RCVDL_FIX_ODIN.7z

Both bootloaders are the latest version and therefore compatible with each other.

UPDATE 10/02/2010: Previous methods replaced with the latest (& the safest). ZERO bricks reported so far.

UPDATE 10/18/2010: If you don't want to read, then skip to message 124 of this topic to get the version compatible for your phone, and read all messages that follow for all other releases.

Attachments

• GT-I9000_RCVDL_FIX.jpg
    GT-I9000_RCVDL_FIX.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 21,183
Last edited:

uveX

Jul 18, 2007
Try a T-Mobile Phone.
Flash is ok Phone goes Black for Reboot and don´t come back.
Powerbutton not working...

phoenixdigital

Aug 8, 2010
Phoenixdigital tested the version and for some reason he "semi-bricked" his phone. There is no obvious reason why this happened.

Two things I didn't do from your instructions :)

1. didn't tick repartition
2. Only had Odin 1.0 (I think that is where is FAILED)

At least I know what to do if my phone comes back neutered.

SuperVirusQ

Sep 1, 2009
GREAT NEWS!
So I assume that this method will also work on the international version of i9000, which was sold in europ and asia as far as I know.
Am I right? Anyone test it on an international version i9000 yet?

rantak

Aug 10, 2010
Try a T-Mobile Phone.
Flash is ok Phone goes Black for Reboot and don´t come back.
Powerbutton not working...

uVex, but you did not use this method am I correct? You used KIES?
Like you said in the other thread: "Just try it with a German T-Mobile Galaxy.
I use Kies to make the Update. After flash phone goes black and stay black "

uveX

Jul 18, 2007
Richthofen 2 different computers....
Dont think its the computer. Befor the odin brick is flashed jph to the phone via kies...
So there must be something with the tmobile germany phones

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yesterday Samsung released a update for Bell GT-I9000M which fixed the missing 3-button combo issue (i.e faulty secondary bootloader, SBL).

Unfortunately the fix is currently only available to Bell customers thru Kies, so a registry hack and excess flashing is needed to update the bootloader to another variants.

I have been working on a new P-SBL Redbend fix, but unfortunately I bricked my phone (three times actually :D) while testing it.

It seems that Redbend cannot program multiple blocks in a single run, unless the OTA commands are used (they are currently unknown). I could program the two blocks but the phone turned in a brick after succesfull programming. The reason is unknown.

Thats why I decided to revert back to Odin method.

With the newest method it is unnecessary to flash XWJM5 firmware in first, as the compatible Primitive Bootloader is included in the same package and will be updated at the same time with the Secondary Bootloader.

So here is the procedure (once again):

Preparations: Make sure you have the drivers installed (i.e Kies is recognizing the phone), adb available and "USB Debugging" turned on in "Settings -> Applications -> Development" menu. Type *#0228# in the dialer and check Voltage value (without USB plugged in) is atleast 3800(mV).

1. Unplug the phone from the computer (if connected)
    2. Kill all Kies related software (tray agent, etc)
    3. Start Odin3 v1.3 Downloader
    4. Plug in the phone to the computer
    5. Start a new command prompt and navigate to the folder / drive where adb is located.
    If you haven´t downloaded adb yet, get it here.
    6. Type "adb reboot download" to the command prompt and press enter.
    7. Move to Odin3 v1.3 downloader and select the "Aries_P-SBL.tar.md5" as PDA file. Make sure "Phone Bootloader Update" is ticked and re-partition is unticked. Do not select any other files but "Aries_P-SBL.tar.md5".
    8. Press "Start" button to launch the update process. It will take around three seconds to complete. After the update phone will reboot automatically.

Download the fix: GT-I9000_P-SBL_RCVDL_FIX_ODIN.7z

Both bootloaders are the latest version and therefore compatible with each other.

UPDATE 10/02/2010: Previous methods replaced with the latest (& the safest). ZERO bricks reported so far.

UPDATE 10/18/2010: If you don't want to read, then skip to message 124 of this topic to get the version compatible for your phone, and read all messages that follow for all other releases.
    Will this work on my Orange Romania branded Galaxy S updated to Froyo?

I'm not too sure.. but you can try to reboot ur phone using *#272*HHMM# and select other config... then try to update using Kies (after reinstalling kies)... trick ur phone to get the official version...

Well, below are my specs before and after..

Before:
    Model Number: GT-I9000
    Firmware Version: 2.1-update1
    PDA: I9000DXJG4
    PHONE: I9000DXJG4
    CSC: I9000DXJG4

After
    Model Number: GT-I9000
    Firmware Version: 2.2
    PDA: I9000DXJPA
    PHONEL I9000DXJPA
    CSC: I9000DXJPA

Note: I did not use odin or other software, but only kies.

My phone is Singapore Singtel Branded phone... so i might not be sure if it works for you...
    hey i'd like to know this too, my three buttons work to get into recovery mode and download mode, but is this fix still necessary to install? if i want to flash custom ROM?

if your combo is working you do not need patch which turning on combo on devices without it

Sent from my GT-I9000
    It worked for Hong Kong GT-I9000 Stock FROYO.ZSJPE!

Really happy to report that the fix worked flawlessly with the Hong Kong Samsung Galaxy S. Just follow the instructions on the #1 post. Now I can start to check out the lagfix and other stuff.

Many many thanks to Richtofen for all your hard work and knowledge to bring immortality to our SGS.

MODEL: GT-I9000
    FIRMWARE VERSION: 2.2
    BASEBAND VERSION: I9000ZSJPE
    KERNEL VERSION: 2.6.32.9
    BUILD NUMBER: FROYO.ZSJPE
    Works for the Brazilian edition

This method also works for the Brazilian edition

PDA: I9000BVJJH1
    PHONE: I9000BVJJG7
    CSC: I9000BCTIJH2

So now if I run the 3 buttons

Thanks!