Saturday I went to look at my phone but noticed the screen was cracked and would not display anything. But thanks to this thread and Orcie’s guide I managed to replace the screen on my Samsung Galaxy S.

To replace my broken screen I removed the backplate, SIM card and SD card. Then I put my phone down on a towel and unscrewed the 6 screws on the back and removed the back. Then I disconnected the screen cable next to the SD card slot and laid the phone on it's back. I then used a guitar pick to remove the broken screen starting at the middle top working towards the edges and down towards the buttons. To remove the 2 buttons from the screen I used a hair dyer to heat the glue and slowly used a guitar pick to pry them off. Then once the screen was off I cleaned the glue off the phone using a flat head screwdriver and wiped the area with isopropyl alcohol. I placed the screen on the phone and plugged the screen cable in next to the SD card, put the battery in and turned it on to test the screen before gluing anything. I then turned it off, removed the battery, unplugged the screen cable and removed the screen. Then I glued the buttons down with Unibond Repair Extreme, placed some Unibond Repair Extreme where the screen was located and pulled the adhesive backing off the replacement screen and laid it down on the phone making sure it was in the right place and then pushed down. I then turned the phone over onto the front and put the back on and screwed the 6 screws back into place. I then put the battery, SIM card, SD card in the phone and placed the backplate on. I powered up the phone and tested everything to make it sure worked and left it over night for the glue set.

I bought the replacement screen from eBay seller dmrp for £38.69 with free postage and the Unibond Repair Extreme from my local Robert Dyas.
The replacement screen appears to work fine but does not have the Samsung text at the top of the screen.