Originally Posted by CyberTech71
Any chance of adding some links or actual information?
I've got exactly the same problem and you seem to have the solution.
Any chance of sharing?
I couldn't post external links, forum limitation for new users... Now I see I can so:
This is a specific situation - usb brick and totally stock rom, recovery and hboot. It's not required for people who have a modified recovery and a rooted rom. It's easy like 1-2-3.
Before doing anything else enable the Debug Mode in the Applications / Dev menu
1. Download the rageagainstthecage exploit from the authors site:
2. Download the flash_image
and misc (mtd0.img) partition image
from this thread.
Modify the mtd0.img according to your phones CID (how to get the CID also explained in the thread)
2. Download Android Terminal Emulator from the Market
3. Copy the exploit binary (rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin), the flash_image and modifed mtd0.img to the sdcard via an external card reader
4. Start the Terminal
5. Copy the files to the Terminal app data directory (the only place on the data partition you will have write access while running the Terminal), and make the binaries executable
cat /sdcard/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin > /data/data/jackpal.androidterm/shared_prefs/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/data/jackpal.androidterm/shared_prefs/flash_image
cat /sdcard/mtd0.img > /data/data/jackpal.androidterm/shared_prefs/mtd0.img
chmod 755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin flash_image
6. Run the exploit
After the exploit exits/finishes there should be a short system freeze, followed by inablity to issue any command from the terminal (don't worry). Exit the Terminal by long pressing HOME and force close the Terminal app from the Application Manager
7. Start the terminal again, a root prompt should be visible
8. Flash the misc partition
./flash_image misc mtd0.img
Done and done
PS. I suck at writing tutorials, but if the details are still hazy for you after reading this - better to service the phone, because you might end up bricking the device totally - cheers