[APP] Gmail.apk 2.3.2 that Always Displays Images (Froyo)

Search This thread

-FuRBz-

Jun 28, 2010
Boston
any word on when we can see an update for this? I was spoiled not having to click on the show pictures button

kd4crs

Nov 27, 2010
@ METHOD1911==> No. The one in Post 93 is the latest updated Gmail.apk that the OP asked for.

Last edited:

jeffrey5241

May 16, 2010
C:\AndroidSDK\tools>adb push gmail.apk /system/app
failed to copy 'gmail.apk' to '/system/app/gmail.apk': Read-only file system

i got this message in terminal.... am i doin this wrong??

bishop72

Mar 14, 2010
I am trying to install this and it keeps telling me that app is not installed. I placed the .apk in the system/app folder and even tried to install it in the sdcard.

please help!

-FuRBz-

Jun 28, 2010
Boston
try the following... with root explorer, go in to the system folder, select RW, go to app and again select RW and delete the gmail.apk...

if you have terminal, open it and enter "su" (no quotes) once you have super user access enter the following...

mount o-remount, rw /system
cp /sdcard/gmail.apk /system/app/gmail.apk
exit
exit

then just reboot the phone and u are all set

Reactions: jakeneal22

safeplayer22

Jan 23, 2009
New York
try the following... with root explorer, go in to the system folder, select RW, go to app and again select RW and delete the gmail.apk...

if you have terminal, open it and enter "su" (no quotes) once you have super user access enter the following...

mount o-remount, rw /system
cp /sdcard/gmail.apk /system/app/gmail.apk
exit
exit

then just reboot the phone and u are all set

Yeh, I had to use this method and it worked!
BTW, love that icon...#42!!! Let's Go Yankees!

ifly4vamerica

Jun 13, 2010
I am trying to install this and it keeps telling me that app is not installed. I placed the .apk in the system/app folder and even tried to install it in the sdcard.

please help!

After you copy and paste into /ststem/app long press and change all permissions to "allow" reboot and you shoupd be good to go.

Evo Sent

Reactions: Techvir

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EDIT: 2.3.2 done

I noticed one annoying thing about Gmail for me. I always had to hit the big "Display Images" button to view emails properly.

So I decompiled it, did some editing, and got it to always display images period. Doesn't ever show that big ugly button either. All emails load images, it's great.

This is based on the latest FROYO Gmail. I may make a version for Eclair if there's enough people interested.

You will need to be rooted.

Method 1: adb push Gmail.apk /system/app
    Method 2: copy Gmail.apk to /system/app using Root Explorer

Delete Gmail.odex from /system/app if it exists. Also delete GoogleMail.apk and GoogleMail.odex if they exist.

You may be able to simply uninstall the updates to Gmail and then install this like a normal app, it may not require root. Someone try it.

apk is attached
    I have attached patched versions of the 2.3.4.1 Froyo standard and 'black' versions that will show email images automatically and do not require you to press the 'show pictures' button.

I do not have Froyo and thus have no way to test these. I patched them in the same way as the Eclair version I provided earlier determined by decompiling the Froyo version from the original poster.

I have also attached the most recent 1.3 Eclair version with the same patch.

Enjoy...

Be sure to rename the APK you are using to gmail.apk
    New APKs Packaged in Flashable ZIPs

Hello All,
    If anyone's having difficulty with copying, renaming, permissions, etc, I have packaged the new *.apk* files into a flashable zip you can install from Recovery or ROM Manager the old way.

None of this is mine- I just placed the new APKs into the ZIP package created by the original poster.

@Anderdroid - I hope you have no problem with this
    Alright I did the new Gmail. See OP.
    download the file you want from post #217 to the root of your sd card. With root explorer, mount the sd card as RW and delete the original gmail apk from /system/app

once you do that, copy and paste the apk from the root to the app folder
    click and open permissions and select all of them under user..

reboot and enjoy