What it took me to get in the "Top 5%" (its rigged)

Search This thread

kletiz

Jul 15, 2009
St. Louis, MO, USA
I'm obviously an AT&T subscriber with unlimited data. I know that back in early October AT&T started throttling their "top 5%" heaviest data users. Me being the curious person I am, wanted to find out what it took to get yourself into the top 5% and the results were shocking.

Last month, I set my phone up to download ungodly amounts of podcasts, mostly video podcasts. I managed to get my data usage up to 27 gigs.
Proof:
http://i.imgur.com/R9hV7.png
http://i.imgur.com/2CWKH.png
I received no notice informing me that I was in the top 5%. During this same billing period, I was noticing users complaining on XDA that they were getting warnings from AT&T about being in the top 5%. When it was asked how much data it took them to get into the top 5%, it seemed to be right around the 5 gig mark. It was then asked what data consuming apps they were using. In their response it seemed to be that netflix was a common factor to get flagged to be in the top 5%.

This month, I started using netflix on my phone just to see if I would get flagged at the 5 gig mark...Low and behold, I received the warning yesterday notifying me I was in the top 5%, right at the 5 gig mark. All it took was for me to watch one movie.
Proof:
http://i.imgur.com/1A7Ne.png
http://i.imgur.com/k7mWx.png
http://i.imgur.com/kqcG1.png

So this is why I believe its rigged, out of all the unlimited data subscribers AT&T has, they're telling me from month to month there is a 22 gig difference in what it takes to be in the top 5%? It seems as though this is a major anti-net neutrality move on AT&T's part against netflix traffic.

Last edited:

gtg465x

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 16, 2008
Nice find. I'll be care about using Netflix over 3G.

edit: Good point Red.

Last edited:
R

Red5

Perhaps because you used 27 gigs last month, it red flagged your account and automatically dropped you into the top 5%?

Id be curious to see someone who has never been in the top 5% and start using Netflix alot to see if they get flagged... and then to have someone who has never been flagged and use 27 gigs of data and see if they are automatically dropped into the 5% bracket.

I am not advising, telling or suggesting anyone to use 27 gigs of data or to use Netflix!

quarlow

Feb 6, 2008
Tooele, UT
Last month I used 4GB using netflix in a week. 2GB was tethering my phone to my TV and using Netflix on my TV, because its faster than my home connection. I ended the month with 8GB, using WiFi at home where I usually don't (Because its slower). I use occasional netflix, but last month was definitely more than usual. Normal for me is 6-7GB. I have never been notified that I was in the top 5%.

Maybe they use a moving average, or the calendar month instead of billing cycle.

There is a lot of mystery with the to 5%, just like tethering detection, I think we can guess at what we think they do, but I don't think we will ever know what they really do.

Plus they may focus on different markets, based on speed and congestion, I live in an area with HSPA+(according to AT&T), but never see faster than 3Mbps, usually see 1.5-2. Maybe top 5% is based on time/speed of connection vs MB downloaded.

Thanks for reporting your observances, but I don't think its just a Netflix based trigger.

Reactions: gr8hairy1
R

Red5

Last month I used 4GB using netflix in a week. 2GB was tethering my phone to my TV and using Netflix on my TV, because its faster than my home connection... I live in an area with HSPA+(according to AT&T), but never see faster than 3Mbps, usually see 1.5-2.
You use your phone because its faster than your home connection, yet you only see 1.5-2Mbps? Damn.

Based on this info with Netflix involved, I bet the usage of 27Mbps red flagged his account and auto put him in the 5% category.

kletiz

Jul 15, 2009
St. Louis, MO, USA
You use your phone because its faster than your home connection, yet you only see 1.5-2Mbps? Damn.

Based on this info with Netflix involved, I bet the usage of 27Mbps red flagged his account and auto put him in the 5% category.

So why would they choose to throttle me this month when last month was the one that was excessive? You'd think they would try to be proactive and never let me get to 27gigs rather than reactive and wait until the next month when I'm only at 5gigs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda premium

chibixzero

Sep 23, 2009
THOUSAND OAKS
www.saintzero.com
funny I actually got a text too about 5% thing.. from watching netflix. I before netflix I would about the same amount of data and no notice. If they do it we you use netflix wouldn't that counts as spying

Kadin

Sep 23, 2007
California
This thread just proves my theory: Canceling Netflix a couple weeks back was the right thing to do! :p

In all seriousness, I'm interested to see how this plays out. Seems pretty lame for them to throttle your speed after the fact - unless like Red said, you got 'flagged' first and then they took notice.

echonc

Sep 16, 2010
I just recently moved and have been with-out home internet for a week and a half. (time warner is coming tomorrow). I have been tethering for that time watching netflix and anything involving using the internet. I was am generally a lite data user 2gb or less a month. This past week I have 5gb, so I will let the community know if I get a text or I get throttled.

colbynmeghan

May 25, 2008
Gonzales
a6890d25-bf3a-ff22.jpg
I use Netflix at work all the time just to watch old series I miss.
I usually hit around 3GB around the middle of my Billing cycle not month. Last month I hit over 7GB and never got a text from att

I attached my last one. Shows i'm only 2 Weeks into my Billing cycle

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using XDA App

Reactions: gr8hairy1
R

Red5

a6890d25-bf3a-ff22.jpg
I use Netflix at work all the time just to watch old series I miss.
I usually hit around 3GB around the middle of my Billing cycle not month. Last month I hit over 7GB and never got a text from att

I attached my last one. Shows i'm only 2 Weeks into my Billing cycle

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using XDA App
Data unlimited and data deactivated?

bigblue95z

Aug 15, 2010
Decatur, IL
There is a lot of mystery with the to 5%, just like tethering detection, I think we can guess at what we think they do, but I don't think we will ever know what they really do.

You'd think that with the enormous community we've got here at XDA, we'd have SOMEONE who knows. Or maybe someone does but figures they'll get canned if they spill the beans.

kletiz

Jul 15, 2009
St. Louis, MO, USA
I'm thinking about bringing this info up with at&t on Facebook or twitter. They have fairly decent support through social media and i wont have to give my account info (hopefully) which would probably put a huge flag on my account.

switters1

Nov 19, 2010
I just got the "top 5%" text.
My data usage last billing cycle was my highest so far: 1.2 GB.

I have an unlimited plan, and I've only tethered to download a few emails then disconnect.

I feel like this is pretty messed up. I'm paying for unlimited but they are going to throttle me after 1.2 gigs?

What can I do? This just feels outrageous and wrong.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA App

speedking261

Oct 3, 2011

I have an unlimited plan, and I've only tethered to download a few emails then disconnect.

I feel like this is pretty messed up. I'm paying for unlimited but they are going to throttle me after 1.2 gigs?

That is insane when they have a plan that is capped at 2GB. You should have access to a significantly greater amount than 1.2GBs

gr8hairy1

Nov 8, 2010
Michigan - Thumb

Just document everything in case they try bs'ing you into losing unlimited. Go into a corporate store and lay everything on them. There's no way they can agree with at&t saying you're in the top 5%.

Sent from my páhhōniē

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
So why would they choose to throttle me this month when last month was the one that was excessive? You'd think they would try to be proactive and never let me get to 27gigs rather than reactive and wait until the next month when I'm only at 5gigs.

As others have said - their metering system may not be synced to billing cycles, or based on a moving average (ignores brief "spikes" but does not ignore sustained high usage).

naturefreak85

Jun 18, 2007
Boca Raton
I actually had a similar thing but Netflix wasn't the issue.

In October I used 10GB data, which is the most I've ever used, yet I can't see how I pulled it off. Last month I used a bit over 5GB of data (According to AT&T yet my data logging app (Onovo) showed me using 4.2GB, I was flagged and warned by AT&T stating that next time I will be throttled, it probably takes 2 months to do it. First month is a "Grace Period" then the second month you hit high numbers it warns you, 3rd month, BAM throttled. Sucks, so what I'm trying is to see if I can keep my usage down for 2-3 months, and then test higher usage to see if I get flagged, there probably is some sort of counter that resets the warning.

I'm obviously an AT&T subscriber with unlimited data. I know that back in early October AT&T started throttling their "top 5%" heaviest data users. Me being the curious person I am, wanted to find out what it took to get yourself into the top 5% and the results were shocking.

Last month, I set my phone up to download ungodly amounts of podcasts, mostly video podcasts. I managed to get my data usage up to 27 gigs.
Proof:
I received no notice informing me that I was in the top 5%. During this same billing period, I was noticing users complaining on XDA that they were getting warnings from AT&T about being in the top 5%. When it was asked how much data it took them to get into the top 5%, it seemed to be right around the 5 gig mark. It was then asked what data consuming apps they were using. In their response it seemed to be that netflix was a common factor to get flagged to be in the top 5%.

This month, I started using netflix on my phone just to see if I would get flagged at the 5 gig mark...Low and behold, I received the warning yesterday notifying me I was in the top 5%, right at the 5 gig mark. All it took was for me to watch one movie.
Proof:

So this is why I believe its rigged, out of all the unlimited data subscribers AT&T has, they're telling me from month to month there is a 22 gig difference in what it takes to be in the top 5%? It seems as though this is a major anti-net neutrality move on AT&T's part against netflix traffic.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Proof:

Proof:

Well I did my little protest today, I know it wont matter anyways with att but i felt like doing it. I have downloaded about 12 roms today and then deleted them back off while I was streaming hbo go and then netflix for about 12 hours. I am on my last day of billing cycle and started the day at only 1.4Gb used for the month/billing cycle, then after all that I should be well over 5Gb now. F ATT is how I feel right now. I have been a LOYAL CUSTOMER for over 12 years since cingular days. I always pay my bill on time, I have been paying for UNLIMITED for over 4 years before this throttling illegal crap. If I am wrong on the date my bilking cycle actually ends I will do the same tomorrow. I know my cycle ends on the 21st but I think my normal data didnt come back until the 22nd last month. My own personal shot back at them for whatever its worth. The worst part is I NORMALLY never used more than 4Gbs a month before this crap and 1 month I used 10Gb but that was a very busy month being away from wifi. Screw them...

Sent From My KickAss ATT SGS2 SPORTING CM7
    Here it's my issue with throttling:

You and I go to a restaurant that serves rice. You can pick 1 cup for $15, 2 cups for $25 or unlimited cups for $30. When I go up to get my 4th cup (I'm hungry and planned ahead, paying for unlimited rice) I'm told that I can only get additional rice one grain at a time. I can have all I want; I'll just have to make lots of trips which will consume lots of time.

You picked the one cup plan and it didn't fill you up, so you stand in line and ask if you can get more rice. You are told that if you pay $15 more you can have another cup right now.

This is about money, not availability.

Last month I used 4GB using netflix in a week. 2GB was tethering my phone to my TV and using Netflix on my TV, because its faster than my home connection. I ended the month with 8GB, using WiFi at home where I usually don't (Because its slower). I use occasional netflix, but last month was definitely more than usual. Normal for me is 6-7GB. I have never been notified that I was in the top 5%.

Maybe they use a moving average, or the calendar month instead of billing cycle.

Plus they may focus on different markets, based on speed and congestion, I live in an area with HSPA+(according to AT&T), but never see faster than 3Mbps, usually see 1.5-2. Maybe top 5% is based on time/speed of connection vs MB downloaded.

Thanks for reporting your observances, but I don't think its just a Netflix based trigger.
    But if you talk to an AT&T rep they will tell you that they never guaranteed the speeds and that you can still use data with no additional charge.

I called them when I was throttled right after they did their rate change to offer the 3gb plan for the same price as our unlimited plan. They told me that if I wanted to continue using data over 3gb at "normal" speeds that I would have to switch over to the capped plan and just pay for the extra 1gb at a time. They can't seem to grasp the concept that throttling data down so low that even apps like the android market and facebook time out is essentially capping the data.

Is the throttling still that low of a speed? I had read they bumped it up a bit to the point that streaming music was atleast possible.

I use about 250mb of data each month out of 2GB plan. Wtf are you people doing on your phones?? :eek:

Making use of them! lol are you even using yours?? ;)