google maps and gps

Search This thread

jean2323

Sep 29, 2010
hi Guys,

i have strange problem with google maps ... it won't start the gps! :(
the gps works fine - tested with gps test

how can i fix this? ... i've tried all google location settings, nothing changes ... it will use the network to locate me, but not the gps ...
the gps-location icon in the notification bar won't appear when i start google maps ...

how can i fix this? any ideas? thank you!

i am on nf4

sauron82

Jun 12, 2012
Toronto
hi Guys,

i have strange problem with google maps ... it won't start the gps! :(
the gps works fine - tested with gps test

how can i fix this? ... i've tried all google location settings, nothing changes ... it will use the network to locate me, but not the gps ...
the gps-location icon in the notification bar won't appear when i start google maps ...

how can i fix this? any ideas? thank you!

i am on nf4

I'm having the same problem. GPS Status & Toolbox, GPS Status Test & Fix and GPS Test all get a fix, accurate to 10 metres. When I open Google Maps, it just constantly says waiting for location. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Google Maps, and now the GPS icon doesn't even come up in the status bar (it did show up before the uninstall/reinstall but it still wouldn't get a fix). Does anyone have any ideas?

jean2323

Sep 29, 2010
i've uninstalled the updates, now gps starts when i open google maps ...
but i only get the location given by the network or wifi.
the gps icon in the notification bar blinks ... finds the location fast enough (the location is accurate if checked in other applications) ... but this location is not shown in google maps:

if in location settings/mode i check 'gps only' ... the gps locks the correct position, but it is not shown on the map ...
if i chose 'high accuracy' .... maps will show the position of given by the network (which is not accurate)

any ideas? thank you!

jean2323

Sep 29, 2010
btw google earth too fails to start the gps and to find an accurate position - it will get the position given by the network ... so it's a google thing - i guess!

jean2323

Sep 29, 2010
another funny thing:

in maps i get the location using the network (which is not accurate), but if i switch to navigation - i get the location by gps (more accurate)!
so it uses the gps just for navigation .... what is this?

sauron82

Jun 12, 2012
Toronto
I figured out my problem: Google Play Services and Privacy Guard. Google Play Services needs location access as well as Maps.

Click thanks if I helped you
Sent from my SM-N900W8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app