Recovery problem (ICS4.0.3)

Search This thread

sashajovicic

Jun 19, 2010
Belgrade
After flashing ICS 4.0.3 update over Stock 2.3.6 i can't enter into recovery mode.
In bootloader if i choose RECOVERY it start loading and what i see is little green android that is shown for one second and after that the screen is black. Nothing else.

Anyone with the same problem?

LKNim

Feb 16, 2011
I have the same problem here
XXKF1->XXKI1
Can't get into recovery mode

Sep 11, 2007
After flashing ICS 4.0.3 update over Stock 2.3.6 i can't enter into recovery mode.
In bootloader if i choose RECOVERY it start loading and what i see is little green android that is shown for one second and after that the screen is black. Nothing else.

You have to fastboot with the CWM recovery image

Last edited:

kyoka

Dec 17, 2011
sorry for my poor eng

as far as i know there aren't root for ics(ota)
i think this problem will solve when root for ics(ota) is released.

Z3rO`

Jul 9, 2007
Can't get into Bootloader with VolUp + Power anymore. It boots straight through.

Rebooting with "adb reboot bootloader" works, but then it says I have an i9020 (I have an i9023) and choosing recovery results in a black screen. I can flash CWM when in bootloader mode though.

nandihno

Jul 22, 2010
Brisbane
Yes the same happens to me recovery is not working from bootloader or even from adb
The best it can be done is to use fastboot and upload recovery and it works but as soon as you want to call recovery again from adb or bootloader it forgets and you have to fastboot recovery yea is a pain

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

Last edited:

Ca_PuNk

Dec 16, 2009
yeah.. same problem here... i have a 9023.. maybe we have to wait the ota for 9023... and then we will flash the right recovery..

m.sabra

Sep 3, 2011
Beirut
Hello i have the nexus s i9023 i flashed the update manually and when i go to recovery it shows a black screen but i can confirm it's working i clicked on volume + and the power button (in normal cases this will show up the menu) but nothing showed on the screen,so i pressed the power button (if the menu is available this will chose the first option) the first option is usually reboot so when i clicked the power button the phone rebooted so i think the recovery is working but for some reason we cant see it.

Z3rO`

Jul 9, 2007
yeah.. same problem here... i have a 9023.. maybe we have to wait the ota for 9023... and then we will flash the right recovery..

The latest Gingerbread OTA was the same for the i9020T and the i9023. The only difference between those two is SLCD vs. Amoled display.

Call me nuts, but I can boot into bootloader menu with VolUp+Power again.
Choosing recovery now displays a green android with a red explanation mark for about a second, then the screen goes black, so I have to pull the battery.

pilspeda

Nov 13, 2011
/EUR/GER/RLP/Mainz
The latest Gingerbread OTA was the same for the i9020T and the i9023. The only difference between those two is SLCD vs. Amoled display.

Call me nuts, but I can boot into bootloader menu with VolUp+Power again.
Choosing recovery now displays a green android with a red explanation mark for about a second, then the screen goes black, so I have to pull the battery.

+1
same here

Stefanauss

Aug 15, 2010
Please, as soon as someone fastboot a CWM recovery and successfully revert to stock GB 2.3.6, report.

adam900710

Dec 20, 2010
Hey guys,you can just use fastboot to flash recovery and DO NOT reboot into OTA,
just go into recovery from bootloader.
Then you can go into CWM without any problem.

I use the above way to revert to gingerbread.

The OTA has a recovery check for every boot,so you should delete /etc/install-recovery.sh to avoid the f*ck rewrite of the stock recovery.

Also to get root access to remount /system, you should flash superuser.zip.
However this will only give you root privillege in ADB shell,no root privillege for app.

I also succeed in deleting the damn script in the OTA.

Jac0verflow

Jan 27, 2011
Hey guys, i9023 here. Manually updated to ICS (pure awesomeness).
Now, I can report the known issue while accessing recovery: green robot, then the vacuum.
So, my question is: shall we able to restore STOCK recovery when i9023 rolls out?

evcz

May 22, 2010
evcz.tk
Hey guys, i9023 here. Manually updated to ICS (pure awesomeness).
Now, I can report the known issue while accessing recovery: green robot, then the vacuum.
So, my question is: shall we able to restore STOCK recovery when i9023 rolls out?

it appear it's just an LCD/AMOLED issues... there are multiple reports that the ICS recovery itself is working properly (you can do blind "clicks") and it's just not showing the screen output

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,you can just use fastboot to flash recovery and DO NOT reboot into OTA,
    just go into recovery from bootloader.
    Then you can go into CWM without any problem.

I use the above way to revert to gingerbread.

The OTA has a recovery check for every boot,so you should delete /etc/install-recovery.sh to avoid the f*ck rewrite of the stock recovery.

Also to get root access to remount /system, you should flash superuser.zip.
    However this will only give you root privillege in ADB shell,no root privillege for app.

I also succeed in deleting the damn script in the OTA.
    For me after i flash the full ICS OTA, and try to boot into recovery, i get a black screen, but i can see a logo of the android with a red exclamation mark if i use a bright lamp. Does this mean that the recovery is not present?

Nope, that's normal - it looks like they've just changed the icon (used to be a yellow triangle or something) and introduced a backlight bug. If you pressed power+volume up from there as usual you'd get to recovery.

follow these instructions http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1396959
    It can't be true cuz the update package for I9023 has not been released by Google (at least for the european version of I9023). I used to try to type in *#*#2432546#*#* in the dialing interface but nothing happened after I heard the news that 4.0 OTA has come out, just then I use the stock unrooted GRK39F.

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

Its not true, im from bosnia (europe) and i have i9023, this morning i got OTA ICS 4.0.3 update. It was 160Mb file, and also i read somewhere on this forum, guy from belgium also recieved update.
    I was using 2.3.6. OTA update before i got this one!
    I found an interesting information on this german site:

handy - faq .de/forum/nexus_s_forum/231886-ota_update_ics_4_0_3_a.html (Please remove the spaces. I can't post links because I'm a new user here)

The problem is that only the BACKLIGHT isn't working with i9023 models in recovery mode. So if you have to you can use a flashlight and point it on to the screen to see something. I can confirm this. I just tested it. Maybe this will help some users...