[Q] Tethering issues Note II custom APN T-Mobile

Search This thread

robert.lagrasse

May 17, 2010
Hello!

I'm having issues getting wifi/hotspot tethering to work when pointing the Note II toward a non-standard APN.

Current environment:

Note II devices on T-Mobile US. Provisioning on the T-Mobile side allows access to the B2B APN, as opposed to the standard fast/epc APN the device normally comes configured to access. Turning B2B APN provisioning on actually disables access to the standard fast.t-mobile.com APN for native data, and the PCWEB APN for tethered connections. On the B2B APN, data originating on the device itself works just fine, but devices tethered to the Note II are not able to access the internet.

Wi-Fi connected PC receives an IP address of 192.168.43.16 (standard setup from Samsung), so the device is firing up the hotspot and handing out DHCP addresses. Network trace from T-Mobile shows 192.168.43.16 as the source address of the session, rather than showing the carrier address being handed to the phone. In short, it looks like the native tethering application is failing to NAT the session when pointed at the b2b.tmobile.com APN.

This is a rooted device with a custom ROM, so I side-loaded the WiFi Tether application. After some tweaks, I got tethering to work using the following options:

Device Profile: Generic ICS/JB (wlan0)
Setup Method: Netd-Ndc (master)
Set Netd Max Client Cmd (checked)
Wireless driver reload (checked)
Wireless driver reload 2 (checked)
Enable routing-fix (checked)

So, is there a way to tweak the settings in the native tethering function on the device to get the NAT to behave properly? Customer does not want to push the .apk for WiFi tether out to the devices in the field as the application requires root access and configuration. Entire install base of devices is custom ROM, and SOTI managed. If there is a way to easily push the app and config out to the devices, and have a push button wifi tethering experience for the end users, I might be able to convince them to go that route.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

EmptyArea

Dec 17, 2010
Hi rob,

There's a dedicated T-Mobile(US) Note 2 Thread. This is the international forum.