Buy from Dell or o2?

Search This thread

regtee2

Nov 22, 2009
I am planning on getting a Streak as a replacement for my HD2 :)

I will be using an o2 sim card with the Streak. Would you recommend buying it from o2 or Dell? Are there any differences between the devices?

flumps

Jun 15, 2009
o2. it will save you £20. £449 from dell, £429 from cpw locked to o2. plus you can walk into a cpw and get it on the day

lufc

Retired Senior Moderator / Resident Priest
Oct 9, 2007
Blackpool UK
www.leedsunited.com
I am planning on getting a Streak as a replacement for my HD2 :)

I will be using an o2 sim card with the Streak. Would you recommend buying it from o2 or Dell? Are there any differences between the devices?

The only difference is from o2 it has a bit of o2 software on it and its locked to o2. From dell its unbranded and unlocked and they are both the same price but dell has added £20 delivery on to there total. I would recommend getting one from dell you don't know in 6 months you may not be on o2 and you would have a phone locked to them where as for a extra £20 you can have any Sim card :)

regtee2

Nov 22, 2009
Thanks for the replies :D

Dell are doing 10% discount on the Streak through EPP - So that means I can get it for £409.08 including delivery.

Will we be able to upgrade the device with Dell's firmware, or would you have to wait for o2 to release their version of the firmware?

elbowz

Aug 4, 2005
Auckland

Dell are doing 10% discount on the Streak through EPP - So that means I can get it for £409.08 including delivery.

Will we be able to upgrade the device with Dell's firmware, or would you have to wait for o2 to release their version of the firmware?

If other devices are anything to go by updates for the unbranded Streak will be out before the operator versions...

lufc

Retired Senior Moderator / Resident Priest
Oct 9, 2007
Blackpool UK
www.leedsunited.com

If other devices are anything to go by updates for the unbranded Streak will be out before the operator versions...

Dell said at the launch that it will defiantly get 2.2 so cannot see them going back on that just wonder why they did not build it with 2.1 on board strange :)

bugmenever

Apr 10, 2010

Hi Regtee2 - Can I ask how do you get this 10% EPP? Have googled it and tried various things on the Dell website and the most I can achieve is 3% EPP off a dell desktop.. Have you actually gone through to the basket and got this 10%? Ta.

d0s

Aug 11, 2007
You can get it from O2 online for £399. Thats £50 saving over Dell UK.
http://shop.o2.co.uk/mobile_phone/Dell/Streak_16GB_PayG

EDIT: Just to confirm I have ordered one and will be receiving it tomorrow total cost £399. I tried getting one from a O2 store but they wanted me to purchase a £10 top up aswell. I already have an O2 contract I want to use, didn't fancy spending a tenner to chuck in the bin.

Last edited:

regtee2

Nov 22, 2009
I went into 3 O2 shops and tried to buy a Dell Streak on PAYG. Two of the shops wouldn't sell it to me on PAYG, just contract and the third said they can't sell it until the 24th July.

:mad::mad:

Think I'll go buy direct via Dell.

Dogmann

Jan 27, 2007
London
Hi all

Just a couple of points the only branding on the Streak from 02 is an 02 splash screen on boot up and some 02 themed wallpapers and that's it. Oh and the first bookmark and the page that the Browser opens up to is set up to be 02 but this is easily changed or can even be deleted if you want.

Also the update will be coming over the air direct from Dell not from 02 as their is no 02 branding on the device for them to need to approve it thankfully.

Marc

lesday

Jul 10, 2010
Rainham
www.solaonline.co.uk
Streak from CPW

Hi all

I got a Streak from CPW believing it to be unlocked, but from CPW they are still locked to o2, thus my story begins.

Since it was locked I looked into ways of unlocking it or using an o2 PAYG sim with it, you cannot according to o2 use PAYG as the streak relies on their post pay settings, so I looked online and found the Rebel simcard option, and gave that some thought.

However in the meantime I visited the o2 store at Hempstead Valley, and at 1st there only option was for me to "put that one you have on ebay and buy a new one from us", I was not overly impressed with this, and after some cajoing the Sales assistant called o2 and they said they could not sell me the price plan (I want data only as I have a vodafone contract) without selling me a new streak. I went away, had a subway and returned to the store with a mission, get a data plan from o2, as they locked the handset, they could bloomingwell support it! after a few more phone calls they decided that they could do me a MBB plan with a dongle and just put the sim into the streak! success, all on 3g and works like a dream,

a message to o2 however, if you are gonna sell a device, no matter who it is bought via, you have to support it, not just tell people to bay the one they have and buy a new one in store!