[Q] USB Host for non-techs

Search This thread
I just started a wiki here
USB Host mode
I am hoping that you who actually know how to do it would help develop a set of instructions that are simple enough for a literate, adventurous non-tech (like me) to follow.
UPDATE: The wiki now has a complete list of installation instructions. You'll have to hunt through verygreen's thread below for operating instructions till they organized on the wiki.

The wiki and this thread (where noobs like me can post) are based on verygreen's
[WIP] USB Host support (working)
I asked verygreen and ros87 to do the USB Host mode for the Nook Simple Touch. Verygreen announced success within 48 hours. The hack has gotten whipped into shape there with the amazing help of ros87, Renate NST, mali100, and other superb xda people.

The project started at mobileread.com:
Project: E-Paper Tablet (touch-typable!)
Thanks to fellow mobilereaders for support, especially Kumabjorn, poliorcetes, and nealsharmon for donating money for devices.

The wiki is super rough. It assumes a new device in the box and a non-tech user. I started the instructions to show how simple they need to be. I will continue helping with that because it does seem difficult for techs to believe just how lost we can be with this stuff. My goal is to bridge the gap between techs and literate users so that non-programmers who want to type on the NST can. If you are an expert writer of users manuals, maybe you would help, too.

Honestly, I don't know the first thing to do now that my NST is on and registered. For example, I don't even know if I need to:
  • root the NST first
  • install adb (which I also don't know about)
or what. I have studied the thread, so I will be familiar with the terms. But I'm completely clueless about actually doing the hack. I managed to unbox my refurbished NST, update its software to 1.1.2 and install a microSD card. The issue is, what exactly should be done now? Please leave your answers in the wiki! Thank you!

Last edited:

mali100

Jun 3, 2007
I would say the best way to start is from eded333's Minimal Touch http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1346748 . That gives you a nice system with market and a launcher to install and start your texteditor or writing apps.
If I find some time i will create a small update-package that installs all the necessary things for the usb-host mode.

Reactions: andrewed

mali100

Jun 3, 2007
As promised I created a small update package, to install all the necessary files and tools.

It is installable via Clockwork Recovery in the same way as eded333's MinimalTouch, which should be installed first, to get root, a launcher and a working Market.

Requirements:
  • Software version 1.1 or 1.1.2 (1.1.2 is recommended, as it fixes WLAN issues)
  • root, a launcher and working market (I recommend using eded333's MinimalTouch)

What it does:
  • changes the kernel to NST-kernel v0.1 with USB-Host and multitouch support
  • changes the uRamdisk to a uRamdisk with fixed init (needed for USB Input devices) and adb-usb
  • installs the busybox and sqlite binaries
  • adds the permission node for multitouch to /etc/permissions/required_hardware.xml
  • installs the app UsbMode-1.2 and the NullKbd-1.1 by Renate NST
  • adds the permission to enable the NullKbd
  • changes the qwerty.kl and qwerty.kcm.bin to the remapped one by Renate NST
  • installs the NookColorTools, so you can switch to the NullKbd

DISCLAMER and WARNING:
  • I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, lost data, fried USB-Devices. Make a backup before you try anything described here!
  • USB-Host support is still WIP (work in progress), the battery drain is noticeable higher.
  • this is the first release and only tested by myself, so don't expect it to be bulletproof.

Credits go to:
  • verygreen, ros87 and everybody who helped with the USB-Host mode,
  • Renate NST, for all the effort making USB-Host support userfriendly (USB-Mode app, NullKbd, key remapping, testing),
  • wheilitjohnny and arkusuma for the Multitouch support,
  • eded333, for his great MinimalTouch,

Download:
usb-host-mt-pack_0.1.zip

Ok, I will have to get a card reader. In the meantime, I'm getting a grip on the instructions by reading through the fine print. It led me to the noogie/backup process.

It says I need a class 6 microSD card. but I got a class 2 as per verygreen's instructions for the hack itself. Do I definitely also need a class 6 card just for the backup, or can I use my class 2 card?

Now that the hack is finally in reach, I want to do it right.

zholy

Sep 13, 2011
Ok, I will have to get a card reader. In the meantime, I'm getting a grip on the instructions by reading through the fine print. It led me to the noogie/backup process.

It says I need a class 6 microSD card. but I got a class 2 as per verygreen's instructions for the hack itself. Do I definitely also need a class 6 card just for the backup, or can I use my class 2 card?

Now that the hack is finally in reach, I want to do it right.

I'm using a 4G class 2 micro SD card for NOOGIE and it's fine.

Reactions: andrewed

mrWax

Jan 31, 2012
where to?

Hi where to put content of META-INF? (dont wanna root again...)

mali100

Jun 3, 2007
Hi where to put content of META-INF?
The META-INF folder contains the insallation script and the interpreter for the script, they are used by CWM to install the package and not copied to the nook.

(dont wanna root again...)
If you mean that your device isn't rooted, and you don't want to, then I have to tell you that root is needed to switch between usb-host mode and peripheral-mode, so root is mandatory.
If you mean your device is already rooted and you don't want to redo it, then don't worry, this package doesn't contain files that root the nook.

nealsharmon

Mar 5, 2012
I had already rooted my nook another way...now what?

Friends,

I rooted my Nook using the instructions here (SalsichaNooter):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O05Y7C9a4eU

I didn't use the Clockwork method. I don't know how to revert and go back to your original instructions. I tried downloading usb-host-mt_pack-0.1.zip and installing the apps only but that didn't work.

Any suggestions on how I should go about the process without Clockwork? Or should I follow these directions to install clockwork even though I'm already rooted with SalsichaNooter?

I really would like to get a keyboard working on my Nook and feel like I'm so close.

mali100

Jun 3, 2007
I didn't use the Clockwork method. I don't know how to revert and go back to your original instructions.
You don't have to revert anything, a device rooted with salsichanooter works fine.
I tried downloading usb-host-mt_pack-0.1.zip and installing the apps only but that didn't work.
That's because you also need another kernel and uramdisk and some configuration, that gets done by the updatepackage.

Any suggestions on how I should go about the process without Clockwork? Or should I follow these directions to install clockwork even though I'm already rooted with SalsichaNooter?
This update-package can only be installed with the Clockwork-mod recovery. You don't have to install CWM on the Nook, just write it to a sdcard (like you did with the salsichanooter image), copy the updatepackage onto the sdcard, put the card into the nook and reboot. The Nook then boots into Clockworkmod Recovery, then you got to "install zip from sdcard", choose the usb-host-package, click yes and wait, eject the sd card, and click reboot.

Reactions: nealsharmon

nealsharmon

Mar 5, 2012
It worked!

You don't have to revert anything, a device rooted with salsichanooter works fine.

That's because you also need another kernel and uramdisk and some configuration, that gets done by the updatepackage.

This update-package can only be installed with the Clockwork-mod recovery. You don't have to install CWM on the Nook, just write it to a sdcard (like you did with the salsichanooter image), copy the updatepackage onto the sdcard, put the card into the nook and reboot. The Nook then boots into Clockworkmod Recovery, then you got to "install zip from sdcard", choose the usb-host-package, click yes and wait, eject the sd card, and click reboot.

I followed your instructions and it worked. Thank you very much.

gantra

Aug 13, 2012
Still Not working

I'm very new at this.

I have followed the above directions and patched with usb-host-mt-pack_0.1 successfully but my two USB keyboards are still not working.

I originally rooted my nook using TouchNooter 2.1.31.

I am using an OTG cable and am getting the solid green light after turning off current and selecting Host.

When i plug either keyboard (or bluetooth dongle for that matter) State changes from a_idle to a_host.

Other results:

Keyboard: none
all fields below that are blank.

Any suggestions on how i should proceed? Could this just be a matter of the keyboards not being compatible? What are the recommended keyboards?

Many thanks!

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
When you are having trouble, try a wall-powered hub (at least as a test).
I have seen where it switches to a_host but it's not really connected.
The "View USB" button is helpful and will show VID/PID.
If for some screwy reason you have a keyboard that is non-standard,
a lack of a black dot will indicate no driver is loaded.

gantra

Aug 13, 2012

Thank you, Renate. That worked great. My Bluetooth is working and I'm using my apple wireless keyboard to word process. My arrow keys don't work so I have to do some touching or backspacing to edit in google documents.

I have a chronic case of CVS (eye condition). This is really gonna help me. Do you recommend a stand with space at the bottom for the cord?

Thank you so much!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As promised I created a small update package, to install all the necessary files and tools.

It is installable via Clockwork Recovery in the same way as eded333's MinimalTouch, which should be installed first, to get root, a launcher and a working Market.

Requirements:
    • Software version 1.1 or 1.1.2 (1.1.2 is recommended, as it fixes WLAN issues)
    • root, a launcher and working market (I recommend using eded333's MinimalTouch)

What it does:
    • changes the kernel to NST-kernel v0.1 with USB-Host and multitouch support
    • changes the uRamdisk to a uRamdisk with fixed init (needed for USB Input devices) and adb-usb
    • installs the busybox and sqlite binaries
    • adds the permission node for multitouch to /etc/permissions/required_hardware.xml
    • installs the app UsbMode-1.2 and the NullKbd-1.1 by Renate NST
    • adds the permission to enable the NullKbd
    • changes the qwerty.kl and qwerty.kcm.bin to the remapped one by Renate NST
    • installs the NookColorTools, so you can switch to the NullKbd

DISCLAMER and WARNING:
    • I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, lost data, fried USB-Devices. Make a backup before you try anything described here!
    • USB-Host support is still WIP (work in progress), the battery drain is noticeable higher.
    • this is the first release and only tested by myself, so don't expect it to be bulletproof.

Credits go to:
    • verygreen, ros87 and everybody who helped with the USB-Host mode,
    • Renate NST, for all the effort making USB-Host support userfriendly (USB-Mode app, NullKbd, key remapping, testing),
    • wheilitjohnny and arkusuma for the Multitouch support,
    • eded333, for his great MinimalTouch,

Download:
    usb-host-mt-pack_0.1.zip
    I would say the best way to start is from eded333's Minimal Touch http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1346748 . That gives you a nice system with market and a launcher to install and start your texteditor or writing apps.
    If I find some time i will create a small update-package that installs all the necessary things for the usb-host mode.
    Cool. Will the 1.1.2 NST software update screw any of this up? I have it installed now because it fixed wifi connection issues that affected me.
    1.1.2 is fine. You can still use eded333's MinimalTouch to root it and get a launcher.
    I don't know how you are "installing" this stuff if you don't have root and ADB.
    It's worth your while to look into all this.
    There is plenty of info here and in the XDA wiki.
    See: http://xdaforums.com/wiki/BN_Nook_Simple_Touch/Installing_ADB

whatever.kcm.bin is a binary file, don't send it through a text editor.
    It must get written into /system/usr/keychars/
    The name is important or else the system will never find it.
    It can either be qwerty.kcm.bin to work for any keyboard
    or else something like (but not exactly) HID_04d9:1203.kcm.bin