Damn it - Nexus 10 has light bleed!!!!

Search This thread
A

asasione

Clearly you AMOLED supporters haven't realized they have more issues than LCD, I'm a Samsung fan and have used Samsung Wave to S2 but uneven blacks, patches, streaks across the screen and burn ins are just a few of the quality issues that affect OLEDs

James-NC

Jul 14, 2012
Durham
I think i have read about all the reviews and this light bleed thing was only mentioned in one.It seems if it was really a problem others would have picked up on it.I will wait until i get my hands on it before getting too worried about what might not be an issue at all.The same goes for the brightness thing.I never use my n7 at full brightness so if the n10 is not as bright as another tab it really would not matter.I am sure it will be plenty bright as my n7 at 25%.:)

sakalu

Nov 5, 2012
www.3zoom.com
I think i have read about all the reviews and this light bleed thing was only mentioned in one.It seems if it was really a problem others would have picked up on it.

Hell Guardian

May 4, 2012
Cairo
There is a firestorm going on over at Engadget over this review. The same reviewer wrote the iPad mini review and fawned over it but nitpicks the Nexus 10. Engadget has been deleting posts that point out the flaws in the review (and back it up with evidence).

I wouldn't put too much stock in this review, but it's always a good idea to be skeptical.

Same for the Verge Review/Video i thought The verge was the good guys (after leaving Engadget) but the amount of biased info on their review on the iFail mini Vs Nexus 7 Vs Nexus 10 is unbelievable...he even dared to say that the iPAD can replace a PC and a Nexus 10 can't...we both know that none of them can not any time soon anyway but saying that the iPAD can is just....pure BS

BillBauman

Aug 28, 2012
Overall, though, compared to what's out there and price performance, it still looks like a solid offering. I agree, though, that if the bleed is bad it's out of consideration for the people I know. I doubt it will be, though, and it's something a rev 2 could always address.

manaox2

Oct 1, 2010
BTW, since no one else has mentioned it, the measured contrast ratios are posted in the Nexus 10 CNET review.

http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/google-nexus-10/4505-3126_7-35513295-2.html

Tested spec Google Nexus 10
Maximum brightness IPS mode (Super IPS) 368 cd/m2
Maximum black level, IPS mode (Super IPS) .44 cd/m2
Maximum contrast ratio, IPS mode (Super IPS) 836:1

Tested spec Apple iPad (third generation)
Maximum brightness IPS mode (Super IPS) 455 cd/m2
Maximum black level, IPS mode (Super IPS) 0.49 cd/m2
Maximum contrast ratio, IPS mode (Super IPS) 939:1

Gaugerer

Sep 9, 2011
This is just a scaremongering thread with no evidence to back it up other than a totally biased review from Engadget and no-one else.

The Nexas 10 screen has a higher resolution than the iPad 4 and with a 16:9 format is better for viewing more than one application at the same time or two book pages, or media such as films or games. Also the front facing speakers are much better for listing to stereo.

The iPad 4 is like a left behind dinosaur with it's 4:3 screen format that no-one else uses. Even the iPhone 5 is now 16:9 but cannot use old 4:3 apps without letter boxing.

So the wheels are falling off the Apple bandwagon.

Tomatoes8

Jun 10, 2012
Don't worry. This is Samsung and not Asus or HTC. There will be no slow nand memory causing lags(Asus Vivo tab), there will be no crap wifi(all Asus tablets beside especially the Prime), there will be no raised screens(Asus infinity and Nexus 7 and washed out colours(Nexus 7), there will be now crap battery life and manufacturing defects(HTC products).

This is going be the mother F-ing Nexus 10! Like the Samsung mother effing Galaxy S3! The mother effing is good in a non literal way.:D

It is Samsung. As long as you are not a whiner about it being light and plastic(which isn't really a negative at all for the more intelligent crowd that doesn't need weight to assure them that a product is quality), you know exactly what to expect from Samsung.

---------- Post added at 08:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

Also, if the Apple biased Verge(who gave the ipad 4 the exact same score as the ipad 3 despite the fact that it should have lost a ton of points for being exactly the same as product as it's predecessor which was only released recently) and Slashgear couldn't pick a winner between the two screens, then you know the screen must be amazing.

Engadget is getting pretty anti Samsung btw. First they said that no matter how hard the GS3 tries it doesn't match the One X. ROFL. Then they say the Transformer infinity is worth $100 more than the Nexus 10. SIGH. Just go look at the infinity forums about the manufacturing defects, almost as bad as the Nexus 7 forums. Lucky I didn't buy an infinity like I was considering. Whew! Dodged a bullet there.

Engadget is horrible now.

Fissurez

Jul 6, 2012
Same for the Verge Review/Video i thought The verge was the good guys (after leaving Engadget) but the amount of biased info on their review on the iFail mini Vs Nexus 7 Vs Nexus 10 is unbelievable...he even dared to say that the iPAD can replace a PC and a Nexus 10 can't...we both know that none of them can not any time soon anyway but saying that the iPAD can is just....pure BS

i can see where he is coming from, there are a vast amount more productivity apps optimised for tablet on the ipad, and while it theoretically possible for an ipad to replace a computer, only if said computer is a netbook for browsing and light text editing. (maybe a little more)

that said, i'd assume that soon after the N10 is released, it wouldn't be hard for it to match, if not eclipse the ipad, as keyboards, tablet apps and others are created.
hell, even if the app ecosystem flops again, i find it hard to imagine that someone wouldn't get ubuntu or similar OS booting off it in the first week, if not in the first few days.

isn't there a guy porting Chrome OS to a variety of things too?

MikeBuck

Apr 28, 2012
This is just a scaremongering thread with no evidence to back it up other than a totally biased review from Engadget and no-one else.

The Nexas 10 screen has a higher resolution than the iPad 4 and with a 16:9 format is better for viewing more than one application at the same time or two book pages, or media such as films or games. Also the front facing speakers are much better for listing to stereo.

The iPad 4 is like a left behind dinosaur with it's 4:3 screen format that no-one else uses. Even the iPhone 5 is now 16:9 but cannot use old 4:3 apps without letter boxing.

So the wheels are falling off the Apple bandwagon.

Its not a scaremongering thread, its a legitimate thread created by me to discuss what Engadget said in their review, whether you believe them or not!

I have asked CNET UK to specifically test for light bleed, and they have replied to me personally saying they will happily do it, so we'll see what they say.

I'm not an apple fan, and if there's no light bleed, then i'll be in the queue to buy one.

superdave42

Nov 8, 2009
How does this OLED panel have light bleeding thru it ? is has a backlight ?

EDIT: never mind... just did more searching and see PLS... FAK!!.. OLED was the biggest thing that sold me. I love my over saturated G-NEX display. I LOVE ULTRA BLACK lol. oh well I guess I'll still buy the darn thing..

Last edited:

MikeBuck

Apr 28, 2012
From all the reviews I've read I've only read of light bleed in one so maybe it was just that one? I havent read anywhere else regarding light bleed so lets hope its not a widespread issue.

Indeed, confirmation that it will be sold in selected shops in the countries it being released in means that we can test for it in the shops aswell, Walmart in the US, PC World/Currys in the UK etc.

CNET UK have also kindly said they will test for it when they get their review model which i'm hoping will be soon.

MikeBuck

Apr 28, 2012
if anyone that has got there's delivered can test for it that would be great, I know it wierd to go ask someone to go stand in a pitch dark room to test but hey! lol

Beowulf_pt

Jul 29, 2010
Lisbon
Clearly you AMOLED supporters haven't realized they have more issues than LCD, I'm a Samsung fan and have used Samsung Wave to S2 but uneven blacks, patches, streaks across the screen and burn ins are just a few of the quality issues that affect OLEDs

As an AMOLED users (since the Galaxy S1 and not after almost two years of Galaxy S2) I have to admit that OLEDs do indeed have some issues.

I tested three Galaxy S2 and each of them had a different screen. They all had a different hue on white backgrounds (one was neutral, the other pushed to blues and the one I own know has a slight pinkish hue). Also there are some areas of dark patches indeed. They are very subtle and only visible when the screen is at low intensity and in full darkness.

So indeed they are not perfect. However I still prefer these AMOLEDs. I really like the fully flat, deep blacks. When I use the phone in bed in darkness I can't even notice the background or the frame around the phone. The contrast is great and the saturation might not be natural but it looks great in my eyes. I prefer that to the grayish blacks of LCDs.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What is exactly "light bleed"?
    Background light inconsistency.

5060128160_802f0c4f36.jpg
    nope, was full brightness on all 3
    yes, that is just how big the difference is.

the iPad has a little light bleed as well which you can see if crank up the brightness on whatever you view the picture on (bottom right and top right in particular) but the black level is just much MUCH blacker which is why the visibility is so low in the picture.

incidentally I did end up exchanging my iPad for a replacement too because it had 1 dead pixel and 1 stuck pixel so I'm not trying to claim iPads are flawless either but when it comes to backlighting there's just no comparison

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the display itself on the nexus 10. Its as good as it gets on a tablet form. The display on the nexus can push the same levels on blacks as the retina display.. And in many ways the nexus 10 display is better for picture quality. Now,... What makes apples new iPad seem as a better display, is simply because they are better in the assembly/connecting the display to the iPad. They managed to align it in way causing minimal stress to the display,. And that's to me where apple really shines through,.. They are consistent in their quality of making their products. Its herein 95% of all backlight bleeding occur. The backlight bleeding in the nexus 10 is NOT caused by a bad display,.. But it IS caused by BAD assembly from factory. It takes only just a little uneven pressure on the display to cause the backlight bleeding.
    And the way the nexus 10 is put together, makes it like winning the lottery to find one without backlight bleeding. That said it is possible to eliminate the backlight bleeding. I fixed my display myself, removing 98% og the backlight bleeding,. Bad news is, that its not an easy fix, because of the way the display was assembled. It takes alot of patience and fiddling, and you'll be without warranty if you break something trying to fix it.

So long story short,.. The display on the nexus 10 is flawless,... It's the way they made room for it that sucks. After taking the nexus apart I will almost guarantee that more than 90% of the complaints people make of their backlight bleeding problems, is coming form their bottom right and/or left corner, as this is where they made everything so narrow that its almost impossible not causing any stress to the lower/bottom of the display.

Now a word of advice,... If you only have backlight bleeding on highest brightness but no bleeding on the lowest brightness,.. No reason to try fix it,. You won't be able to see the backlight bleed in the daytime anyways, and in low/no light environment you should use the lowest settings on brightness for optimum picture performance anyways. And that's (to me) where the display really shines through, with its ability to render crisp details in low brightness. And actually its more the cell light you set up and down (when adjusting the brightness in android) than it is the brightness of the display.

TechGeek over and out:)

OK here are some photos. The best I could do in a dark room shooting with my Nexus 4.
    I think people just want to love this tablet so much and are trying to convince themselves that the defects aren't "that bad". Don't try to justify it, just send it back or get a refund.
    Any LCD with a backlight will suffer from light bleed to some extent even the iPad3 retina (just Google for the pictures). Obviously, something to check for and exchange if it's significant. The pictures on The Verge don't show any signs of it and the pixel level comparison shows the Nexus 10 display to be superior in black level, colors and sharpness against retina.