Root your Razr M now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Sithra

Feb 10, 2013
Ballarat
Root is regained

I have a Telstra Razr M that I HAD recovered Root using Voodoo OTA RootKeeper BUT after the JB update, nothing would work for me to regain root.

After trying every permutation within this thread including Factory resets I was getting a little frustrated - the bug report exploit just wouldn't work - None of the motofail2go exploits nor another 'Reset exploit' regained root.

Then I found this thread - Root Achieved
Followed the instructions & root is regained

So - if it just isn't happening for you, give this a try!

Sithra

Reactions: alwaysbelieve1

shepherd17

Jan 31, 2011
FYI I rooted without factory resetting and did so on both of my Razr M devices.

Just to be specific, you rooted a Japanese Softbank Razr M device without factory resetting? I haven't found any way to do this and have tried everything in this thread. It seems like there are different results depending on which of the multiple models of Razr M you have.

If you are saying you did this on a Japanese Razr M, any advice you might have as to what I'm doing wrong would be greatly appreciated. The error I constantly have been getting is mentioned in the instructions

"run-as: Package 'com.motorola.bug2go' is unknown"

and the advice given is to "wipe you data and cache partitions and try again"

On that advice, I have done a factory reset through the settings every time I try to rerun the root app. This doesn't have any apparent effect as I am still unable to root the device.

I'm hoping that I can get into the fastboot/recovery mode to do the factory reset as the one poster has mentioned this is vital and I am not sure how to do this. I have been able to get into some kind of recovery mode but there is nothing I can seemingly do on that screen.

wintermute000

Jul 13, 2010
when I try to trigger bug report using stock jellybean Telstra (XT905), I get a succession of vibrations (not one or two) then phone will reboot AS SOON AS power button is not being held down. Script waits for reboot, cleans up, reboots the phone again saying finished OK but nothing.

Same phone rooted OK using this method when ICS, something's changed or am I triggering the bug report wrong? Yeah I'm using the updated supersu binaries

Sithra

Feb 10, 2013
Ballarat
when I try to trigger bug report using stock jellybean Telstra (XT905), I get a succession of vibrations (not one or two) then phone will reboot AS SOON AS power button is not being held down. Script waits for reboot, cleans up, reboots the phone again saying finished OK but nothing.

I had the exact same experience - must have tried 20 times but evidently the bug report isn't triggered ...
I solved my problem using the steps in this thread

wintermute000

Jul 13, 2010
I had the exact same experience - must have tried 20 times but evidently the bug report isn't triggered ...
I solved my problem using the steps in this thread

er if I'm not reading it wrong, that thread is to regain root if you used OTA rootkeeper?

I'm talking about rooting from scratch (I was paranoid and unrooted fully before OTA, thinking that as Verizon JB users are rooting no worries we should be OK too, but looks like I was dumb lol).
Or we need to figure out how to trigger the bug report in JB Aussie build. Its definitely NOT power+up or power+down anymore. Even if I do it without USB connected, my phone vibrates constantly and as soon as power is released, boom reboots.

vo_danh

Jun 26, 2010
Used the method on the first post to the letter except I ran the run.bat with right click "run as administrator". Had to try 2-3 times to press the vol up + power key before I could get it to vibrate. After restart I had "SuperUser" app in my list. I downloaded ES file explorer and can browse my system folders. Titanium backup loads but tells me it can't acquire root. Root Checker Basic by joeykrim was not able to verify root either but may not support my device yet XT907 as noted by other users under the app comments. Root Checker from Free Android Tools also says unable to verify root.

So far I settled for disabling the apps I didn't like auto loading all the time.

I tried the files from the OSP site, replaced them into the motofail2go and re-ran as before as admin. Now SuperUser has disappeared, and SuperSU shows up, and does ask me to allow root access. Tried Root Checker Basic again by joeykrim and it verified that its rooted. Titanium backup now has root access and has the uninstall options. Superuser and SuperSU still doesn't show any apps in list.

dornz

Feb 19, 2013
Re: RAZR i Root

Hi i have a razr i to and after unlocking bootloader sucessfully i rooted it. Worked great no probs. Now a few days ago when i turn on wifi it wont connect to my modem..now it says signal poor and wont connect..i know my modems working great cos signels great on this phone and my laptop...i was using sd maid apk for root users i after that no wifi connection..the razr i is a cool droid helpp:confused:

Sent from my LG-P990

yy2013

Mar 7, 2013
I also just got a motorola razr M 201M from Japan. Any clues that I can unlock the sim lock by Softbank? thanks

Sunshinesray

Mar 8, 2013
Thank you so much!!
I usually lurk but I joined just to say thank you!

I have a brand new Razr M out of the box from Verizon. I added a line, so I wouldn't loose my unlimited internet, but could get a new phone.

This does work, just replace the files as suggested once you do that it takes only 2 or 3 minutes! :)

After about a total of 15 minutes I was rooted and activated and using the entitlement check wifi.

JMalone1224

Mar 10, 2013
Current?

Dan (@djrbliss) has posted the root method.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=32888705&postcount=1

Despite my strong belief that people who are interested in rooting should buy devices with unlocked bootloaders instead of expecting the magical hackers in the sky to give out free exploits (which are in short supply), I'm once again continuing to encourage bad behavior by publishing another root exploit:

http://vulnfactory.org/public/motofail2go_windows.zip

Instructions:

1. Download and extract the entire zip file.

2. Ensure your device is connected via USB and that you have installed the latest ADB drivers from Motorola.

3. Double-click "run.bat" and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. The exploit will ask you to press a button combination at one point.

If the exploit prints an error saying something like "run-as: Package 'com.motorola.bug2go' is unknown", then unfortunately you will have to wipe your data and cache partitions and try again.

This exploit should work on the Razr M, Atrix HD, Photon Q, Razr i (you might need to replace some of the binaries with x86 versions?), and the upcoming Razr HD.

Paypal:
http://goo.gl/zBGb0

So.. I have been going through this thread, all 350+ posts, as best as I could and, I want to know if this particular step-by-step has been updated at all - as far as the links and .zip files that are being used in the links?
-Reason is because as I'm reading through the thread I am noticing many problems (replacing the su AND superuser with a different .zip file from aosp) with obtaining root access with the RAZR M retail version, non-dev. But, since this was originally posted in Oct. of '12 I was hoping that all the links, and everything needed to complete this process, was updated so that I could just read these directions at face value and root my phone without any hitches.
-So far, I've downloaded the most recent USB Drivers off of Motorola's website last night. As far as I know that's all I needed to do prior to starting Step1 of this "how to."
*If anyone has any input on this it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone has used these directions recently with 100% success rate I'd appreciate a chime-in.

P.S - I'm on 4.1.1

Last edited:

WordPressPowerSites

Mar 12, 2013
WordPressPowerSites.org
Razr M Retail Root After Jelly Bean Update

I had all the same problems as people here and finally got it over here at droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/5151-root-for-droid-razr-m-jellybean-and-ics/page__view__findpost__p__224002 sorry I can not post links yet since I'm a noob :mad:

I'm so happy I am now back to my Jelly Bean (4.1.1) Droid Razr M Rooted :eek:

Hope that it helps all others.

JMalone1224

Mar 10, 2013
So basically what he's saying to do it, 1) wipe data and cache, from the phone, in stock recovery mode and reboot. Then 2) use the motofail2go for JB (run.bat file?), let it do its thing, and i should have root. Is that right?
*And thank you for your reply, seems that no one is helping me out on this thread. Must be too old...

Jafmf95

Dec 18, 2010
So basically what he's saying to do it, 1) wipe data and cache, from the phone, in stock recovery mode and reboot. Then 2) use the motofail2go for JB (run.bat file?), let it do its thing, and i should have root. Is that right?
*And thank you for your reply, seems that no one is helping me out on this thread. Must be too old...

So did this work for you? I have this phone coming in the next couple of days.

Omegaclawe

Dec 12, 2012
I also just got a motorola razr M 201M from Japan. Any clues that I can unlock the sim lock by Softbank? thanks

I've been told that the Japanese carriers, by law, are required to unlock the sim for you if you ask. You may need to learn some Japanese to get to the point where they'll do it, though... could be a complicated process. I haven't tried it myself.

I have, however, tried multiple different rooting methods. This one fails because run-as cannot be run without root permission on this device... and no number of factory resets will ever fix that. Most of the others fail because the mount/remount commands (including through adb) are similarly blocked.

dsdd

May 11, 2009
I've been told that the Japanese carriers, by law, are required to unlock the sim for you if you ask. You may need to learn some Japanese to get to the point where they'll do it, though... could be a complicated process. I haven't tried it myself.

Could you tell us how to find the way to unlock sim lock for the XT902? I want to try. Thank you so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dan (@djrbliss) has posted the root method.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=32888705&postcount=1

Despite my strong belief that people who are interested in rooting should buy devices with unlocked bootloaders instead of expecting the magical hackers in the sky to give out free exploits (which are in short supply), I'm once again continuing to encourage bad behavior by publishing another root exploit:

http://vulnfactory.org/public/motofail2go_windows.zip

Instructions:

1. Download and extract the entire zip file.

2. Ensure your device is connected via USB and that you have installed the latest ADB drivers from Motorola.

3. Double-click "run.bat" and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. The exploit will ask you to press a button combination at one point.

If the exploit prints an error saying something like "run-as: Package 'com.motorola.bug2go' is unknown", then unfortunately you will have to wipe your data and cache partitions and try again.

This exploit should work on the Razr M, Atrix HD, Photon Q, Razr i (you might need to replace some of the binaries with x86 versions?), and the upcoming Razr HD.

Paypal:
    http://goo.gl/zBGb0
    Glad to see he came out of retirement. Thanks to all of y'all, especially Dan!

Everyone who uses this exploit should be sending djrbliss a few bucks.
    It's the least we can do as users to support his consistently excellent and unique contribution to our community.
    There is nobody else in the same league doing this kind of work for us.
    You can't buy it for any amount of money... ;)
    At the end, mine says exploit completed and it reboots but there is no superuser or anything. I tried to install SU from the market but no root. What next?

EDIT: Went here as suggested and replaced SU and Superuser and it worked fine: http://aosp.us/?p=294
    Executed with no errors. Window claimed success. Yet no superuser or root after reboot??

Sent from my XT907 using xda app-developers app

I replaced su and Superuser.apk in the zip with the same files from the root package on aosp.us. It worked then.
    I'm running the official JB OTA. Just tried the root exploit and it worked like a charm. Here's what I did.

- Factory reset my device
    - Replaced the Superuser.apk and Su binaries with the latest ones from here: http://androidsu.com/superuser/ Or you can just grab the zip attached here. That will work.
    - Turn on USB debugging
    - Run the batch file as administrator (not sure if this is necessary, but people had been reporting success, so I did it that way). To do so just right click and choose "run as administrator".
    - Make sure you hold volume up + power for long enough. You will get one quick vibration, but that's not the one you want. The second is the one you're looking for, it comes ~5 seconds later.
    - Hit enter to reboot and you're rooted. Very simple.

I verified root access with Root Checker, TiBu, etc..