Mar 4, 2014
Hi . I'm a newbie
My note 2 is running in low memory
Total memory is 10.46 GB
Free 3.50 GB
Apps 0.99 GB
Media near 1 Mb
Cache data and other near 110MB
So where is the rest? What should I do to free some space?
Thanks

geekynoob

Sep 25, 2011
New Delhi
Hi . I'm a newbie
Total memory is 10.46 GB
Free 3.50 GB
Apps 0.99 GB
Media near 1 Mb
Thanks

use a root explorer and go to
data/media
this is where all ur stuff is located.. Take out or deal it the way u want to deal with it :p

mat9v

Apr 3, 2010
Gdynia
Hi . I'm a newbie
Total memory is 10.46 GB
Free 3.50 GB
Apps 0.99 GB
Media near 1 Mb
Thanks

What rom/system were you using before? In some situations when installing new rom version over the old without doing full wipe there are leftover files from old installation.
Using root explorer go to /storage/sdcard - list what is in there
go to /storage/emulated - there should be 2 directories there: 0 and legacy - list what is in there
lastly go to /mnt/shell/emulated - list what is in there - if you see there directories like "0", "legacy" then it's your original internal sd directory.
Now while installing new rom, almost all files from that directory should be moved to "0" directory for multiuser environment configuration, but sometimes they are not - the will be normally not visible in settings>storage information creating lost space" phenomena :)
Now comes the hard part - you can delete almost all files and directories except "0" and "legacy", but there may be some config files from your recovery and/or backup files from the same source (those directories will have in their names some familiar words, for example: devil, agni, clockworkmod, twrp) - you should not touch them. Browse directories (except "0" and "legacy") for old program data, obb files and directories, media, music and video files and delete them as they are not visible to your media players or programs. They are a bit like old "program files" and "documents" from Windows world :)

romi1996

Mar 4, 2014
What rom/system were you using before? In some situations when installing new rom version over the old without doing full wipe there are leftover files from old installation.
Using root explorer go to /storage/sdcard - list what is in there
go to /storage/emulated - there should be 2 directories there: 0 and legacy - list what is in there
lastly go to /mnt/shell/emulated - list what is in there - if you see there directories like "0", "legacy" then it's your original internal sd directory.
Now while installing new rom, almost all files from that directory should be moved to "0" directory for multiuser environment configuration, but sometimes they are not - the will be normally not visible in settings>storage information creating lost space" phenomena :)
Now comes the hard part - you can delete almost all files and directories except "0" and "legacy", but there may be some config files from your recovery and/or backup files from the same source (those directories will have in their names some familiar words, for example: devil, agni, clockworkmod, twrp) - you should not touch them. Browse directories (except "0" and "legacy") for old program data, obb files and directories, media, music and video files and delete them as they are not visible to your media players or programs. They are a bit like old "program files" and "documents" from Windows world :)

I use the 4.1.1 version. And the folder you mention not show up in anywhere. :(

mat9v

Apr 3, 2010
Gdynia
I use the 4.1.1 version. And the folder you mention not show up in anywhere. :(

Were you in the root folder when you started searching for mentioned folders? Root folder is the topmost folder with main subfolders (etc, system, sys, storage, mnt and others) - there is no way that you would not find "storage" folder - it MUST be there.

romi1996

Mar 4, 2014
Were you in the root folder when you started searching for mentioned folders? Root folder is the topmost folder with main subfolders (etc, system, sys, storage, mnt and others) - there is no way that you would not find "storage" folder - it MUST be there.

No root folder is emty. But the dev folder have 184 sub folder .. that folder have so many that i can't count because the folder is too large. Can i delete dev folder?

mat9v

Apr 3, 2010
Gdynia
No root folder is emty. But the dev folder have 184 sub folder .. that folder have so many that i can't count because the folder is too large. Can i delete dev folder?

It's a bit of a misunderstanding: Root folder is the main folder of whole file system, but it is also a simple folder named "Root" in the root folder (or otherwise called root directory) of the file system. It's the same if you crated in some directory a new directory and named it "directory" :) Easy, yes? :)

In the root directory you should have some typical directories: cache, config, d, data, dev, efs, etc, lib, mnt, proc, sys, system, storage and others
There must be a directory named "storage" and there must be a directory named "mnt" - those are the ones I was writing about before, please follow that.
Oh, and under any circumstances do not delete /dev :) (even if Android would allow that).

romi1996

Mar 4, 2014
It's a bit of a misunderstanding: Root folder is the main folder of whole file system, but it is also a simple folder named "Root" in the root folder (or otherwise called root directory) of the file system. It's the same if you crated in some directory a new directory and named it "directory" :) Easy, yes? :)

In the root directory you should have some typical directories: cache, config, d, data, dev, efs, etc, lib, mnt, proc, sys, system, storage and others
There must be a directory named "storage" and there must be a directory named "mnt" - those are the ones I was writing about before, please follow that.
Oh, and under any circumstances do not delete /dev :) (even if Android would allow that).

There is no folder name mnt in that storage folder there only folder name emulated . Sdcard0 sdcard 1 usbdisk0 :(
Oh in the emulated folder have legacy folder and 0 folder.
But finally i found it in root folder .with some some of my stupid misunderstanding. But i greatly thanks you so much.
UPDATE so the mnt and my main sdcard. Folder like synced .it í like duplicate the file

Last edited:

romi1996

Mar 4, 2014

Update : the mnt/shell have emulated. So which folder i should delete? .
I checked some folder i reconize some super strange thing in root.
The sdcard and extsdcard folder in root folder. . The storage folder has 2 folder too. . When i go to mnt/sdcard there ate have 2 more folder like that. And the super strange thing is these files in those folder is completely same like they are duplycating. Can you answer this?
Update : still don't know why the storage folder is 4.02Gb but when I take information of each one in that folder and combine it i got over 3Gb . What the hell?

Last edited:

mat9v

Apr 3, 2010
Gdynia
Update : the mnt/shell have emulated. So which folder i should delete? .
I checked some folder i reconize some super strange thing in root.
The sdcard and extsdcard folder in root folder. . The storage folder has 2 folder too. . When i go to mnt/sdcard there ate have 2 more folder like that. And the super strange thing is these files in those folder is completely same like they are duplycating. Can you answer this?
Update : still don't know why the storage folder is 4.02Gb but when I take information of each one in that folder and combine it i got over 3Gb . What the hell?

There are a lot of duplicate directories like that because they are virtual directories, like shortcut files on Windows , but unlike in Windows they have the size of all children files (with some exception. It is complicated and hard to describe without .... a lot of explaining for which I have no time :) ) The directory /mnt/shell/emulated is of interest to us, in enclosed picture you can see "User directory" that contains all files that your current profile uses, some directories in pink - they may be there or they may not be, but you should not under any circumstances delete them, directories in green are free to delete. Please list any other directory you will find there and their sizes so I can advise what to delete.

View attachment 2614902

romi1996

Mar 4, 2014
There are a lot of duplicate directories like that because they are virtual directories, like shortcut files on Windows , but unlike in Windows they have the size of all children files (with some exception. It is complicated and hard to describe without .... a lot of explaining for which I have no time :) ) The directory /mnt/shell/emulated is of interest to us, in enclosed picture you can see "User directory" that contains all files that your current profile uses, some directories in pink - they may be there or they may not be, but you should not under any circumstances delete them, directories in green are free to delete. Please list any other directory you will find there and their sizes so I can advise what to delete.

View attachment 2614902

Deleted. Rom recovery back up removed . Thanks you so much
I wanna reopen some files but i can't. The system keep telling can't open the file and the files is AcIv.mp3 or a video. Please help.

Last edited: