Open source driver for FIMG 3DSE (GPU of Galaxy 3)

Search This thread

hillbeast

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2011
Dunedin
after my sister getting her new phone lg p-500 , i realized that the adreno 200 gpu is not realy that powerful compared to ours. im guessing we should get gpu performance close or equal to phones with adreno 200 gpu. no way we can beat SGX or mali though :eek:
but it should be enough to run hd games with little lag.
DO NOT GET UR HOPES UP THOUGH! :D
psx re-volt game on stoke g3 = 15-16fps
on p-500 stock = 15-16fps

The difference with the Adreno is just that it's better documented and more widely used. Considering the range of phones that use this GPU could fit on my hand, whereas the Adreno is used in a list too large to fit on my 24" screen.

tom3q

May 31, 2011
Warsaw
github.com
after my sister getting her new phone lg p-500 , i realized that the adreno 200 gpu is not realy that powerful compared to ours. im guessing we should get gpu performance close or equal to phones with adreno 200 gpu. no way we can beat SGX or mali though :eek:
but it should be enough to run hd games with little lag.
DO NOT GET UR HOPES UP THOUGH! :D
psx re-volt game on stoke g3 = 15-16fps
on p-500 stock = 15-16fps

The performance difference (or rather the lack of it) is probably caused by screen resolution difference. i5800 (with 240x400 screen) requires 37,5% less pixels to be rendered than P500 (320x480). FIMG-3DSE isn't anything powerful, but should be comparable with the GPU of first iPhones (2G and 3G, PowerVR MBX Lite running at 60 MHz).

ajay.d96

Sep 22, 2011
The performance difference (or rather the lack of it) is probably caused by screen resolution difference. i5800 (with 240x400 screen) requires 37,5% less pixels to be rendered than P500 (320x480). FIMG-3DSE isn't anything powerful, but should be comparable with the GPU of first iPhones (2G and 3G, PowerVR MBX Lite running at 60 MHz).

i asked that "when we install the drivers of tom3q , we are able to play hd games WITHOUT USING chainfire 3d"

cause each time i have to change the plugins/shaders in cf3d :p

BTW , when will you provide the drivers and can we install it in cm7 ??

tom3q

May 31, 2011
Warsaw
github.com
i asked that "when we install the drivers of tom3q , we are able to play hd games WITHOUT USING chainfire 3d"

Well, I won't hide the fact that I really don't like such questions. So to explain again, there is no ETA, as usual with things being done in free time.

Support for different texture formats is planned, so a wrapper like chainfire 3d won't be needed for implemented texture formats.

To get anything running on G3 I will need an experienced G3 developer to cooperate with me to make necessary changes to the driver to make it compatible with FIMG-3DSE variant of S5P6442. Currently it works only on S3C6410-based devices, like Spica or Tiny6410 development board.

hillbeast

Feb 9, 2011
Dunedin

He needs to finish it first and then it needs to be ported to the G3.

unreal3000

Nov 27, 2010

ah....yes forgot about res :p
but still form what iv seen adreno 200 isnt realy that powerful even on 240x320
devices.

ajay.d96

Sep 22, 2011
ah....yes forgot about res :p
but still form what iv seen adreno 200 isnt realy that powerful even on 240x320
devices.

what the hell, i didnt even know about gpu in android ... thought that all android phones support all android games and so on... :( but is there a way we can play the hd games without using chainfire 3d??? or is there a way to use the per app opengl method , cause it doesnt work...:'(

ajay.d96

Sep 22, 2011
Purchase the donate version

i dont have a paypal account nor a credit card either.... i can only download cracked apps from pc ,... i downloaded the cracked version but it doesnt seem to work (per app opengl settings) so i have to change the setting each time i play a game ,..

PG101

RC-RT Liaison Admin - Devil's Advocate
Staff member
Aug 12, 2008
MODERATOR MESSSAGE

i dont have a paypal account nor a credit card either.... i can only download cracked apps from pc ,... i downloaded the cracked version but it doesnt seem to work (per app opengl settings) so i have to change the setting each time i play a game ,..

We dont talk about warez and cracks at XDA... SHUSH!!! ;)

Reactions: m1trand1r

mankokoma

Dec 28, 2010
Berlin
so you seem to be one of the guys with fully trojan contaminated pc's which shut down the whole internet for one day last week in my area with ddos attacks....

ajay.d96

Sep 22, 2011

rickslick

Dec 11, 2010
Kochi
i have no other choice ,. sorry :p

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

why are you following me,. ? lol

You always have a choice...NOBODY FORCED YOU AT GUN POINT TO USE CRACKED APPS ...
And by the way it's his job to follow people like you;)

Sent from my GT-I5800 using XDA App

Sergiales

Dec 10, 2010
OnePlus 5T
People like him? Havent you downloaded a mp3 never ever in your life? I understand XDA but dont be hipocritical.

Sorry for the offtopic...

Sent from my GT-I5800 using XDA App

PG101

RC-RT Liaison Admin - Devil's Advocate
Staff member
Aug 12, 2008
MODERATOR MESSAGE

And I am sure we have all been to those illegal strip joints and downloaded pirated movies. :cool:

What everyone does outside of XDA is none of XDA's concerns.. but here, we will stick to the rules.

And now, lets get back on topic guys :)

Thanks!

moikop

Dec 5, 2010
Buenos Aires
We have quite an old kernel.. would having a newer one 'help' to port these drivers?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am posting here as I am not allowed to do so in development subforum.

Anyway, I am the developer of the OpenFIMG project (formerly GLES6410), which is aiming to provide proper OpenGL support on devices with FIMG 3DSE 3D engine, found in S3C6410, S5PC100 and probably also in S5P6442. The project is in a pretty advanced state as it is already capable of running Android 2.3 with hardware acceleration. Still many OpenGL extensions and some core features (like lighting) are still missing. More info can be found here: https://github.com/tom3q/openfimg/wiki.

It is very likely (and almost confirmed) that the SoC used in Galaxy 3 (S5P6442) contains the same GPU as the one in S3C6410, which is the chip inside Galaxy Spica and similar phones, at least basing on what Quadrant and GLbenchmark show and on GL libraries supposed to be dumped from Galaxy 3.

What I am trying to say is that my project may also be useful on Galaxy 3, but I am the only developer working on it and I am doing it in my free time, so it does not progress as fast as one may expect. In other words, I am looking for some other developers interested in this project.

If you are interested, then do not hesitate to drop me a PM.

Mod EDIT : moving this to development

EDIT: Attached some documents about FIMG 3DSE (based on S3C6410 documentation and my reverse engineering)

EDIT: The project has been successfully used on G3. Builds of ICS for G3 use OpenFIMG as primary graphics driver currently and there are update packages for CM7.
    I was talking with my boss today regarding my personal open source contributions related to Samsung hardware and he told me that there shouldn't be any problems with OpenFIMG, although to be safe I will have to let him look through any changes and officially accept them before publication. Those which can potentially reveal any sensitive information will have to go through Korea, but there shouldn't be any problems.

So basically the project is still alive.
    I've got a G3 now (thanks to the donator, I'm not sure if he wants to be named), so I might be able to help with kernel porting and test OpenFIMG on G3 ROMs and do any necessary improvements.
    I just wanted to get this thread back on top and aks if you're still busy tom ;)
    I'd love to see an update of this driver, really appreciate your work!

Well, I'm now taking a break after the exams till the end of this week, then I'm going to finish my libcamera implementation for the 3.x kernel (for Spica currently and later also for G3) and will see what to do after that, 3.x kernel for G3 or something for OpenFIMG.
    Very interesting .. I send you PM.