[Q] Help With Battery Drain

Search This thread

flu13

Jun 18, 2010
In the past week or so, I've noticed that my battery is draining unusually fast. I will take the phone to bed with me (I use it as an alarm clock) at 100% battery and I can wake up 7 hours later with it at 82%. When I look at my battery information, I see steady, solid drain over that time, with the biggest offender being Google Services. When I look in Wakelock Detector, I see the most usage (though seemingly not a ton) by Android System.

I found some tips on using Wakelock Terminator in Xposed to filter some things from Google Play Services from triggering wakelock, and I was optimistic, but it didn't seem to help.

Any advice?

bsavoir22

Sep 23, 2013
Texas
Greenify

In the past week or so, I've noticed that my battery is draining unusually fast. I will take the phone to bed with me (I use it as an alarm clock) at 100% battery and I can wake up 7 hours later with it at 82%. When I look at my battery information, I see steady, solid drain over that time, with the biggest offender being Google Services. When I look in Wakelock Detector, I see the most usage (though seemingly not a ton) by Android System.

I found some tips on using Wakelock Terminator in Xposed to filter some things from Google Play Services from triggering wakelock, and I was optimistic, but it didn't seem to help.

Any advice?

Are you on a stock rom? Did you try greenify? It's on the play store. It kills the apps background services and the app itself until you start the app or the app is started by another app or service. Soon as the app os no longer needed it is turn back off. This program does not freeze apps it prevents them from running until needed.

Reactions: flu13

flu13

Jun 18, 2010
Ah, sorry, I should have mentioned my rom and such. I'm running ForceROM, a relatively older version (maybe 2.3?), since I never felt the need to update.

I haven't tried Greenify. Haven't actually heard of that one before. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the tip.

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Ah, sorry, I should have mentioned my rom and such. I'm running ForceROM, a relatively older version (maybe 2.3?), since I never felt the need to update.

I haven't tried Greenify. Haven't actually heard of that one before. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the tip.

Try a custom kernel like KToonsez in addition to Greenify. It's amazing what you can end up doing with that kernel

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

flu13

Jun 18, 2010
ForceROM includes Ktoonsez kernel. For the last 8 months or so, I've had great battery life. This is a sudden and recent change, which I'm assuming to be caused by an update of some Google app (such as Play Services).

How do I use Greenify? Or do I just install it and it does magic?

DJMaj07

Dec 25, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S8+

Any advice?

Do you have auto-sync enabled? What Google Services do you have enabled for sync? I used to have a similar issue but turning off sync for things I don't use (like newsstand, etc) helped my battery life a lot.

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

ForceROM includes Ktoonsez kernel. For the last 8 months or so, I've had great battery life. This is a sudden and recent change, which I'm assuming to be caused by an update of some Google app (such as Play Services).

How do I use Greenify? Or do I just install it and it does magic?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2552570
That thread may help you with this.

chris-allen

Jun 22, 2012
my last resort advice would be to flash a 4.3 rom......your not missing out on much not running KK.....

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app

flu13

Jun 18, 2010
I believe that installing Greenify might have done it. Battery usage looks much better today. I'll do a real test tonight when I get it charged to 100% before bed.

flu13

Jun 18, 2010
Well, I'll be...

I think that the problem is wifi. When I'm at home, I'm on wifi, and the battery is constantly draining. When I'm not at home, and on mobile data, the battery is well-behaved.

What's up with that?

bsavoir22

Sep 23, 2013
Texas
Well, I'll be...

I think that the problem is WiFi. When I'm at home, I'm on WiFi, and the battery is constantly draining. When I'm not at home, and on mobile data, the battery is well-behaved.

What's up with that?

Some apps can be setup to sync over WiFi only instead of 3G/4G data. but you have to check what apps would be the culprit. I know Google play, dropbox's picture upload feature can be set to download/upload/update over WiFi instead of data. But the only way to know is to see what apps connect over WiFi.

WiFi is suppose to give you better battery life since its signal is usually nearby and your phone doesn't have to use more power to find a better signal like it does with 3g/4g. I know for me it does since there are very few towers in the middle of the dessert.

max229

Jan 6, 2014
Well, I'll be...

I think that the problem is wifi. When I'm at home, I'm on wifi, and the battery is constantly draining. When I'm not at home, and on mobile data, the battery is well-behaved.

What's up with that?

Sounds like you're losing power to things syncing over wifi. Maybe try just giving it a week and watching it to see if it settles down. Google play sometimes settles down on its own. I also vote to check out greenify. With the donation package you can work wonders at calming down power hungry apps, even system apps.

Sent via mobile

Reactions: Sinyc

flu13

Jun 18, 2010
My situation has suddenly taken a turn for the much worse. I don't know what's going on. I haven't added anything new or changed any settings since installing Greenify a while back. Now, the battery is just tanking. I got up to 100%, ran Battery Calibration and now, about 2.5 hours later, I'm at 82%. Could this just be a problem with the battery itself? Do I need to replace it?

daniel4653

Jul 10, 2010
Southern California
My situation has suddenly taken a turn for the much worse. I don't know what's going on. I haven't added anything new or changed any settings since installing Greenify a while back. Now, the battery is just tanking. I got up to 100%, ran Battery Calibration and now, about 2.5 hours later, I'm at 82%. Could this just be a problem with the battery itself? Do I need to replace it?

Honestly there are a few days where the battery life suddenly drops dramatically. I've experienced this on unrooted mf9, mk2, and nae. Give it some time and see if battery life comes back up. You can reboot the phone to kill a rouge app that might be the cause.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

flu13

Jun 18, 2010
This is the first I've heard the term MJA, so I don't think I'm on that.

There definitely do seem to be days where battery is worse than others. And I do typically try to reboot when I see it acting too squirrelly. I'll just keep keeping an eye on it. Weird-ass phone...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Greenify

Any advice?

Are you on a stock rom? Did you try greenify? It's on the play store. It kills the apps background services and the app itself until you start the app or the app is started by another app or service. Soon as the app os no longer needed it is turn back off. This program does not freeze apps it prevents them from running until needed.
    Well, I'll be...

What's up with that?

Sounds like you're losing power to things syncing over wifi. Maybe try just giving it a week and watching it to see if it settles down. Google play sometimes settles down on its own. I also vote to check out greenify. With the donation package you can work wonders at calming down power hungry apps, even system apps.

Sent via mobile