[USER] JB/ICS/CM10/9 Discussion

Search This thread

plasticarmyman

Apr 13, 2011
Long Beach
No

Sent from my Nook Color running ICS and Tapatalk

it's the one thing stopping me from flashing it over :\..i'm tempted to just do the dual boot on my SD...

i have read on some other forums, for other devices, that they have Netflix running on CM9...so if i am correct this is unique to our device and the CM9 builds we have available right?

Last edited:

Taosaur

May 4, 2011
Ohiopolis
taosaur.blogspot.com
I take back my Apex recommendation--I rebooted, and Apex is in a crash loop, and I can't find anywhere to change my default launcher app (I can get to Settings via the notifications settings screen), nor does Apex show up in the app manager. I don't feel like messing with it now so I just switched over to my CM7 partition.

ETA: I don't think Apex was the problem. On further reboots, I was getting an "updating Android" message before my lockscreen loaded, but it would abort without doing anything. I went ahead and flashed Eyeballer's latest OpenGL build and Apex is working again, though my launcher settings were lost (maybe because it's installed to /system?). Unfortunately, now all my Google apps are crashing, and reflashing the most recent gapps didn't help.

Last edited:

rgp1236

Nov 5, 2011
Dallas
Moto G Power
Netflix

it's the one thing stopping me from flashing it over :\..i'm tempted to just do the dual boot on my SD...

i have read on some other forums, for other devices, that they have Netflix running on CM9...so if i am correct this is unique to our device and the CM9 builds we have available right?

It is certainly not unique to this device. MANY devices do not have ICS at all. As I understand it, hardware acceleration is dependent on drivers that are not available as yet for the Nook. If they have to be "reverse engineered," it will take a developer with the skills and time to take the task on, and could take months to achieve.

If you have the skills, please feel free to go for it!

tonyp

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 3, 2011
It is certainly not unique to this device. MANY devices do not have ICS at all. As I understand it, hardware acceleration is dependent on drivers that are not available as yet for the Nook. If they have to be "reverse engineered," it will take a developer with the skills and time to take the task on, and could take months to achieve.

If you have the skills, please feel free to go for it!

I don't think there'll be a dev who would go for it. We can wait for another device with the same chipset to get ICS. I'm not sure but I think the LG Optimus Black has the same chipset and has a confirmation for an ICS release (3rd quarter 2012 though..).

nolook

Sep 5, 2010
I don't think there'll be a dev who would go for it. We can wait for another device with the same chipset to get ICS. I'm not sure but I think the LG Optimus Black has the same chipset and has a confirmation for an ICS release (3rd quarter 2012 though..).

I'm going too keep my nook until the nexus tablet comes out...hope a good hardware accelerated build comes out before then...

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

joeindallas

Jan 30, 2012
two small issues

Now that I've gotten my battery life issues ironed out, I have only two (small) issues that are keeeping my experience from being perfect so I thought I'd see if anyone had suggestions. First, with the default launcher is there a way to display battery life in numeric format in addition to the graphical? Second: I moved to an older version of the kindle app to fix all of the spacing issues, but on ICS (as opposed to my prev. experience with CM7) the fonts are out of whack and I will frequently get what appears to be multiple words with no spaces between them. Is there a known fix for this?

Thanks for making my Nook Color experience so good!

boomn

Feb 2, 2011
Now that I've gotten my battery life issues ironed out, I have only two (small) issues that are keeeping my experience from being perfect so I thought I'd see if anyone had suggestions. First, with the default launcher is there a way to display battery life in numeric format in addition to the graphical? Second: I moved to an older version of the kindle app to fix all of the spacing issues, but on ICS (as opposed to my prev. experience with CM7) the fonts are out of whack and I will frequently get what appears to be multiple words with no spaces between them. Is there a known fix for this?

Thanks for making my Nook Color experience so good!

When is your ICS build from, and when did you last try the Kindle app from the market? The Kindle app has received some big updates in the last week or two and the text has appeared perfect for me with the non-opengl ICS builds I've been using from the last two weeks

I don't have my Nook in front of me, but there is a battery display setting somewhere in the settings menu

joeindallas

Jan 30, 2012
My ICS build is the non-opengl from 3-31. I just tried the latest Kindle App. I had not tried that version before, but I still can't find a way to shrink the margins enough to show the same page real estate as 2.05, so I went back. Thanks for the confirmation that I was just dense in not finding the battery setting - tried again and found it.

Thanks.

E

edychen

Not sure if this happens to everyone, but when Google Music is playing, doing something else just stutters the music.

stolenmoment

Mar 27, 2011
Not sure if this happens to everyone, but when Google Music is playing, doing something else just stutters the music.
That happened to me, briefly, today, with eyeballer's 4/22 build. For experimentation, I should have just rebooted, but I reflashed 4/21 (ok), then flashed 4/22 again and all is fine.

So, my advice is to mess around and see how stable the effect is.

Sent from my NookColor using xda premium

tonyp

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 3, 2011
I just flashed CM9 and am pretty happy so far. Huge difference to sneakpeak2.. :D

One thing I noticed, too. Some apps still show the phone gui, I believe the official Google Reader app should have a nice tablet view with 2 columns but it only shows a single one. Is there a solution? Or do we have to live with that?

Edit: Another question - when changing the home screen there always appears a blue frame. Is there any way to hide that?

Last edited:

Polishzx

Apr 23, 2012
Greetings all,

I am a noob to the nook color, but familiar with cyanogenmod 7.1, as i still use it on my droid incredible.

I am curious if there was a "somewhat" stable version of CM9 that anyone could recommend I install. I doubt I will update my nook color too often, maybe once every couple of months. I really only browse the web, stream live video on the web the occasional game. Is there a version that would be suitable or are things still pretty shaky with CM9?

Thank you for your help.

carbfrze

Oct 4, 2011
Wifi issues!

Hello all,
I'm currently running two different Nook Color's w/ the stock ROM running on the EMMC and CM9 running off the SD cards. They are both running the latest encore nightly builds from samiam located on http://nookdevs.com/Portal:NookColor
I have also tried the wifi_SOD_patch.zip with no help.

My problem is that wifi will randomly disappear either while I am using the Nook Color actively or after it goes to sleep. I've tried all the different options for turning off or leaving wifi on during sleep with no help.

Once I lose the wifi connectivity, I can go into the Wifi settings it is showing that the Wifi is toggled on but all networks are saying out of range. And it will not allow me to turn wifi on or off by the toggle switches.

On one of my nooks I have the triple boot options installed and when I boot into CM7 I have no wifi problems so I believe the problem must be somewhere in the wifi driver for CM9?

Please help! I've searched all the threads and I am starting to go cross-eyed.

grayfoxmg1

Aug 9, 2009
Paw Paw, Mi
I'm running Sam's latest and my only problem is that the V6 package in botbrew doesn't work and I had to do it the old way. Of course I'm installed to emmc, but I don't see how that would difference would allow my wifi to be fine and yours not. Maybe you had a bad download? Or try it with out the wifi sod fix, I haven't used it in a month.

Sent from Tapatalk 2 on my Nook Color running ICS

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Or try it with out the wifi sod fix, I haven't used it in a month.
Don't use the wifi SOD fix patch on CM9 anymore (you can still use on CM7 though). It was for the 2.6.32.9 kernel and the latest CM9 builds have the 2.6.32.59 kernel in them. They are not compatible. And the .59 kernel has wifi SOD fix built in. The wifi fix was only for SODs and did not help with connection issues anyway.

He might search for the wifi adhoc fix in twlan.ini. Some have said that helped with connection issues.

mf6764

Mar 1, 2011
Jelly Defense now works

I just updated to Eyeballer's newest 4/28 non open gl rom that has fattires newest kernel and found that Jelly Defense which never worked before now works.

bkdroid

Aug 25, 2010
Charlotte, NC
If you haven't been following the conversations in the development section, goo manager and TWRP have come a long way, and work seamlessly together now! There is also a wonderful video how it all works avail from eyeballers TeamWin Recovery Project thread. Check it out!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

lrome53

Feb 24, 2011
Nook running Rack's triple boot stuck n charging lop cannot boot

Hi all,

I am running Rack's great triple boot. All was well until the battery level fell below the operational threshold, and now the nook will only display the charging icon, will not boot, or even start. Any idea's, am I hosed?

Larry:confused:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Hi all,

I am running Rack's great triple boot. All was well until the battery level fell below the operational threshold, and now the nook will only display the charging icon, will not boot, or even start. Any idea's, am I hosed?

It will do that until charged up enough to reboot. Give it some time on the charger.

Sent from my Nook Color running ICS and Tapatalk

grayfoxmg1

Aug 9, 2009
Paw Paw, Mi
Hi all,

I'm sorry but I have to ask for clarification purposes. You said it fell below the threshold and now it only shows the "charge device" image. You also said it won't start, but you didn't tell us if it accepts a charge. When you plug in your cable are you getting the orange charging light?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: We now have official cm nightly support! Congrats to all involved! http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1941247

Feel free to continue building for yourself.
    Also, while your testing and bug reports are very much appreciated, do not WHINE, or feel entitled to anything. These guys have worked hard for YOUR benefit so be grateful and hit the thanks button for everyone involved.

Old OP follows:
    This thread is to help clean out the non-development discussions happening in the dev thread. Please post your impressions, problems, fixes, thanks, etc. here.

Refer to this thread for progress on development http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1370873.

Unofficial CM9 Nightly Builds:

You can get Eyeballers unofficial nightly builds here

You can get Samiam's unofficial nightly builds here

CM10:

Video of CM10 running on Nook Color http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=28844150

Feeling brave? Want the latest and greatest? Build CM10 for yourself. Check out this post to get started http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=29075653

If that feels like a little much you can check out Andbot to help you get started.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=29171789

Please do not share your builds. Refer them to these instructions instead.

Keep it clean and remember NO ETA's!!!

Credit and thanks to all involved!
    I think your first line mostly summed it up, but heck I'll take a couple of minutes to respond.. responses are inline in bold.

Hi Guys -

I want to start out by acknowledging that I realize that no one owes me anything. I bought a Nook because I thought it would be fun to see just what could be done with Android on a somewhat different device. No one held a gun to my head and I may have misconstrued what the goals of this community were. I own my own disappointment and am not blaming anyone else.

I was amazed by the Gingerbread ROMs that were initially available, and it seemd to me that in no time we would have updated (read Honeycomb, ICS, and JB) Roms that would continue to amaze

It has taken OEMs (HTC/Samsung) in the region of 6-9 months to update some devices from GB to ICS, so "in no time" wasn't really going to happen when we work on this in our free time for fun. ICS was a huge overhaul and required a lot of changes - some of which we still don't have source code that we can use (such as hw accel/omx on ICS).

I did not think that Honeycomb should have been abandoned when ICS was still a glimmer in the eyes of its developer parents, and I do not think that ICS should be abandoned either now. I am totally confused by the lack of progress in bringing these later ROM to the state where GB was a year ago. The only thing I can think of is that Android is so much of a moving target that no one can spend the time necessary and that the changes to Android in moving from GB to ICS to JB have actually made it harder to adapt the OS to the hardware bits of the Nook Color. This, if true, is a major disappointment in the development of Android.

Honeycomb wasn't even started, so it wasn't abandoned. deeper-blue did some great work porting from the SDK but at best it was a "proof-of-concept" - honeycomb was not open source and therefore it was never really worked on. We also haven't abandoned ICS, while working on JB we're still pushing relevant fixes to ICS so that people can continue to get the best ICS experience we can offer (https://github.com/fat-tire/android_device_bn_encore/commits/ics)

In my mind, the philosophy of open source software is to make adaption and adoption easier, not harder; and to celebrate those developers who try to do so, rather than keeping them in the dark and withholding necessary information and code from them.

I'm not sure who you're referring to in terms of keeping people in the dark? All our work has been open in the nookcolor chan on IRC or in the dev thread here on xda.

My initial reaction, when faced with such disappointment was to set up a Linux box (I chose Knoppix poor man's install for personal reasons) and to download andbot and the sources. I have gotten through the initial glitches and believe I have the full set of sources, the open and proprietary ones. Now it seems that the java runtime available in Knoppix is not appropriate (1.6.0 vs SE 1.6.0). I am running down the errors in the building in brunch to see if I can get around the problems. Java SE when downloaded from Debian and reinstalled, says that I already have the proper version.

Knoppix? Really?

I am willing to spend some time at this to get it working, but my dream of a more stable ICS or JB seems to be receding into the mists.

Of all the ROMs I have tried (and I've tried most of them) I think that (believe it or not) Honeycomb gave the best balance of tablet loveliness and usability. So I'm afraid I am currently asea.

I think you're mostly alone there..

I guess I will buy a Nexus 7 so that my wife doesn't have to keep asking me why my tablet doesn't work. It just seems like admitting defeat.

Thanks to all who have spent countless hours and who are probably just as frustrated as I am. Sorry for the rant.

Most of us aren't frustrated, we do this for fun to see what we can bring to this device, knowing it's a challenge and maybe never going to be perfect. If you want a fully functional tablet today - then I would also recommend the Nexus7 as being the device for you.
    Just in case you missed it, we posted our first Alpha build last night over in the development forum: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1941247

;)
    Fattire put that line in the build.prop for everybody last night (via the awesomizer, LOL). What is it? Is he pulling our chain again?

Yes, this was a joke... my answer to all the bogus "change such and such and the NC will be 3x faster"... my point being that there's a placebo effect. We did play around though with some of the suggested improvements in IRC doing all kinds of tests and not finding any real difference. Also looked at source and most of them didn't do anything at all in ICS.

So next time someone asks for some unproven change to build.prop you can just tell them it's already included and covered by the ro.magic.optimization property ;) If that doesn't work I'll have to turn on ro.placebo.enhancements=true...
    I have been trying to use the CWM 5.5.0.4 taken from Sam's server in recoveries. It keeps giving me recovery.fstab errors for cache saying NULL is not a proper option and then only backs up /boot. Is there a working version somewhere? Fattires original post used Megaupload and is dead.

Here's a flashable zip for CWM 5.5.0.4 to EMMC. Built this morning for you. :D

This should correct the NULL mount point errors. I haven't tested it myself since I run off SD, but it should flash and work properly.

**Disclaimer: Do so at your own risk, I am not responsible for ... blah, blah, blah.... you all should know the rest. :p "

-Racks