One X Gets Hot without use and battery life tanks

Search This thread

EliWay

May 19, 2006
Boston, MA
I've been noticing less than stellar battery life ever since I got my One X.

Lately I have noticed that sometimes my One X will get slightly hot under use(around the camera area), and then after I'm done using it, it still hot and my battery drains like crazy.

I turn the screen off, kill all apps, wait 5, 10, 30 minutes, even one hour I have waited, and the phone is still warm!

I don't use any apps that run in the background or have services that use a lot of battery. I've checked logcat, betterbatterystats, Cpu Spy and can't find anything wrong. I've tried different roms and the same thing happens.

The fix is simple. I just power it off and on and the problem goes away for a few hours, but then comes back! When I power it off, the area gets ice cold in less than 3 minutes , which tells me something is going on.

I can't figure out a pattern to trigger it but it seems to happen most when my phone switches to WiFi from LTE or vice versa.

Has anyone noticed this? It's been incredibly frustrating.
-----------------------------------------------------
After months and months the problem has been found and resolved. It was due to an LTE bug that would happen in certain areas(such as subway stations) if you lost all signal and then regained. The phone would get warm and battery would drop significantly, as much as 2% per minute. The drain would not stop until a full restart.

After trying many many roms, and after about a month testing it, this one has the problem fixed. I haven't tested other ROMS and quite frankly it works so well that I didn't bother testing for other ROMs.

Last edited:

rejovinated

Jun 11, 2012
I have this problem too. I put mine to sleep, after waking up from an hour nap the darn thing is hot! And of course the battery drained like crazy. Although it's too early to come to a conclusion, but so far it hasn't happened ever since I turned off autosync and wifi every time I take a nap..

slojko

Oct 30, 2011
I'm having the same problem, carat and bbs aren't helping

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

stnguyen09

Oct 26, 2010
New Holland, Pennsylvania
Go to Settings -> Wifi -> Advanced -> Best Wi-Fi Performance and make sure it's unchecked. It's been known to prevent deep sleep. I'm not sure it would cause such a huge drop in life or the heat, but every little bit helps.

EliWay

May 19, 2006
Boston, MA
Glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this. I'm an advanced user, I've tried everything, carat, BetterBatteryStats, aLogcat, System Panel, Cpu spy, you name it. The phone is actually deep sleeping.

Also, I've noticed that the radio area gets hot more than the cpu area, so it might be a radio issue? I'm running baseband 0.17.32.09.12_10.86.32.08U .

stnguyen09

Oct 26, 2010
Glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this. I'm an advanced user, I've tried everything, carat, BetterBatteryStats, aLogcat, System Panel, Cpu spy, you name it. The phone is actually deep sleeping.

Also, I've noticed that the radio area gets hot more than the cpu area, so it might be a radio issue? I'm running baseband 0.17.32.09.12_10.86.32.08U .

I'm on 0.17.32.09.12_10.86.32.08L (same as you, except for the L). I noticed that you mentioned that it may be when you're switching between WiFi and LTE, maybe it's continuing to hold on to that LTE connection? Also, where is the radio area in relation to the CPU? I know the CPU is right underneath the camera.

EliWay

May 19, 2006
Boston, MA
I'm on 0.17.32.09.12_10.86.32.08L (same as you, except for the L). I noticed that you mentioned that it may be when you're switching between WiFi and LTE, maybe it's continuing to hold on to that LTE connection? Also, where is the radio area in relation to the CPU? I know the CPU is right underneath the camera.

What is the difference between the L and the U? I've never flashed any radios so I guess I'm using the stock one from the 1.85 update.

I actually just assumed it's the radio because I was testing a cpu stress app to see if it would get "locked" in a high frequency thus causing the drain, but the area that got hot was to left of the camera area, and usually when the problem happens I can sense the warmth more to the right, around the LED flash.

I just charged my phone to 100% and it got warm, I unplugged it and waited a few minutes and the phone was still hot. I turned the phone off and in a matter of minutes (Like 4) , the phone was ice cold again. The plot thickens...

stnguyen09

Oct 26, 2010
What is the difference between the L and the U? I've never flashed any radios so I guess I'm using the stock one from the 1.85 update.

I actually just assumed it's the radio because I was testing a cpu stress app to see if it would get "locked" in a high frequency thus causing the drain, but the area that got hot was to left of the camera area, and usually when the problem happens I can sense the warmth more to the right, around the LED flash.

I just charged my phone to 100% and it got warm, I unplugged it and waited a few minutes and the phone was still hot. I turned the phone off and in a matter of minutes (Like 4) , the phone was ice cold again. The plot thickens...

I don't know what the difference is. I'm running CleanROM DE so it could be that the L is just the radio from 1.88. I never had this heat issue on 1.73, 82, or 85 though. Just the normal amount that threatens to burn your hand off while playing Angry Birds. Maybe try disabling LTE? (Don't ask me how to do that)

EliWay

May 19, 2006
Boston, MA
I don't know what the difference is. I'm running CleanROM DE so it could be that the L is just the radio from 1.88. I never had this heat issue on 1.73, 82, or 85 though. Just the normal amount that threatens to burn your hand off while playing Angry Birds. Maybe try disabling LTE? (Don't ask me how to do that)

Disabling LTE (By changing the APN settings) , makes my 4G(Non-LTE) connection unstable, for some reason. I experience a ton of data drops , so even if fixes the heat problem, it would create a new one. My data connection is rock solid when using the LTE APN .

WuTofu

Jun 6, 2012
Berkeley
I had a similar problem before until I installed CleanROM LE 2.0 (and above) I noticed the problem when I connected to wifi after I had lost signal from my commute every day. BBS didn't really help, and it seemed the problem would compound over time, eventually getting to a point where I was losing 3% battery ever couple of minutes.

After I installed the Lite Edition, the problem hasn't appeared since. Battery life seems to be draining normally and the phone doesn't get hot when not in use. It could be something that was removed from Sense that helped the issue, but I'm honestly not sure.

I do remember that before I switched to the Lite edition I tinkered with some settings, and I noticed that Latitude was set to update my location. I turned it off (it's off by default on the Lite Edition ROM), but I'm not sure if that helped my problem. Maybe try disabling that and see what happens.

Reactions: EliWay

EliWay

May 19, 2006
Boston, MA
I had a similar problem before until I installed CleanROM LE 2.0 (and above) I noticed the problem when I connected to wifi after I had lost signal from my commute every day. BBS didn't really help, and it seemed the problem would compound over time, eventually getting to a point where I was losing 3% battery ever couple of minutes.

After I installed the Lite Edition, the problem hasn't appeared since. Battery life seems to be draining normally and the phone doesn't get hot when not in use. It could be something that was removed from Sense that helped the issue, but I'm honestly not sure.

I do remember that before I switched to the Lite edition I tinkered with some settings, and I noticed that Latitude was set to update my location. I turned it off (it's off by default on the Lite Edition ROM), but I'm not sure if that helped my problem. Maybe try disabling that and see what happens.

Wow,I have a very similar usage pattern. I will try that and report back

EliWay

May 19, 2006
Boston, MA
There's a thread with flashable versions of all the known radios floating about...There's nothing with a U in it except the Asian radio, but the rest of the baseband version number doesn't match.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1694012

He fixed that now so even the Asian version apparently ends with an L. Does that mean I have an unkown baseband? o_O doubtful. I have installed sick sense hox and so far so good. We'll see.

nespid

Oct 21, 2008
Kearny, NJ
deep sleep and warm back.

I've noticed this, too.

I've woken up in the middle of the night to encounter my screen on and no gain in battery charge with a super warm back.

Last night I plugged it up at 73% and I woke up this morning with 71% and a fry-an-egg-hot back.

Restarting resolves the issue, and this is only the second timein about 1.5 months, but a concerning issue nonetheless.

dexywexy

Apr 12, 2012
Los Angeles
Blame calendar sync

I had the exact same problem, and I narrowed it down to auto-sync.

In particular, my phone was constantly sync'ing my work calendar (my work place uses Google calendar/mail). I have a lot of recurring (weekly) events on that calendar, and one of those events was modified shortly before the sync started acting crazy.

How I fixed it:
1. Go into Settings > Apps > All
For "Calendar" and "Calendar Storage" apps, press the "Clear Data" button.

2. Removed my work Google account and re-added it.

Obviously, if it's not the sync that's causing the battery drain or you don't have any calendars synced, then this is not going to fix anything. Just thought I'd share my particular case with everyone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Using HSPA+ APN right now. So far my connection hasn't dropped and I'm still getting pretty amazing speeds(10+ mbps), which by the way is a far cry from the 0.5mbps I used to average with Sprint's 3G service.

Last time I tried the Hspa+ APN my connection kept getting dropped , but this time I tried a different APN with "high priority" , "default" and "admin" settings and so far it's been great.

Of course this will all be in vain if my phone still drains after losing and regaining service.. But that I will find out tonight once I get home.

Hey what do you know, Changing the APN to HSPA+ only still makes my connection totally unstable, I just didn't wait long enough to notice it. Back to LTE for now.

So far , this problem seems to affect everyone in LTE areas who lose their reception (during a subway ride , for example) and then regain it. We need more people but I have a feeling this affects all ONE Xs in the same situation.

We may need to start contacting HTC and AT&T about it...
    I am very curious to try a completely Sense-free ROM like AOKP or CM10, once the major kinks are worked out (which should be soon given that the kernel source is finally out).

However, hearing that GS3 has the same issue doesn't give me much hope.

Running CM10 right now, although I won't be able to test today (driving home, don't have the drop in service that I get when I take the train).

I'll try to see if it happens tomorrow...

Finally!

Today , right before I entered the train station that I know is a dead zone , I turned on airplane mode. Then , once I got to the stations that aren't underground(and obviously have reception), I turned airplane mode off.

The result? My phone picked up 4G non-lte first and then after a minute it got LTE, with no warmth on the back, no battery drain, it was the first time ever since I got my One X that I got home with an unscathed battery and a phone that was even cool to the touch.

Since, fortunately at&t has very good coverage here in Boston and only drops out in obvious places like underground subway stations, I can live with that, for now.

But the problem is still there and I definitely think we have to notify HTC and AT&T about it.
    Hmm, your deduction about excess load/battery drain occurring after regaining LTE reception is very convincing. I live in NYC, and take the subway to/from work, and my battery drain issue seems to correlates well with LTE loss & renewal.

I still believe the wifi issue (reception strength varying due to squeezing region between camera and volume buttons) exists for the XL though. Performed the experiment myself and saw it with my own two eyes. Make of that what you will.

Kudos on the grade A detective work!