UPDATE: Modify vold.fstab file to swap internal/external storage card. Fixed

Search This thread

superevilllama

Jun 14, 2007
So this file stored in /system/etc determines what type of storage sdcard and sdcard2 will be identified as. Basically sdcard2 becomes ext_sd.

While most applications are fine with using our phone's internal storage as the primary, google music does not and cannot find any music on my removable SD card. As soon as I copy it to internal it finds it right away. by modding this file, we can essentially have our removable SD card seen as primary storage and the internal secondary or as an external card.

It looks like they sucessfully made this change on the Rezound (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1383330 by changing the following:

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 37 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.1/mmc_host/mmc0
dev_mount sdcard2 /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host/mmc2

to this:

dev_mount sdcard2 /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd 37 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.1/mmc_host/mmc0
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host/mmc2

I mirrored this change by making ours:

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 36 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.1/mmc_host/mmc0
dev_mount sdcard2 /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host/mmc2

to this:

dev_mount sdcard2 /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd 36 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.1/mmc_host/mmc0

EDIT: 4/29

Got it working! sorta.. The phone now recognizes the physical storage card as internal phone storage and the internal phone storage as the ext_sd card. Google music finds all music. I have to add a few things to the vold.fstab file to allow a computer to see the actual internal storage card when using the phone in usb storage mode. If you would like to try it, unzip the attached modified.vold.fstab.zip file and push the file to /system/etc via adb after deleting the old one. I have also included the stock one in this post.

KEEP IN MIND: If you wipe internal storage with your phone with this mod in place, you may wipe your SD CARD. Make sure you flash back to the stock file, or just don't use the wipe internal storage feature.

Attachments

• modified.vold.fstab.zip
    506 bytes · Views: 17,954
  • stock.vold.fstab.zip
    505 bytes · Views: 10,173
Last edited:

superevilllama

Jun 14, 2007
I've modded my own and the settings are definitely in that file because my SD card dissapeared. Of course it was because I didn't do it correctly to match our phone but I would love to find the right settings.

Here is a fix they made for the droid x2

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1229294

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using XDA

Last edited:
Reactions: Double0EK

superevilllama

Jun 14, 2007
Any dev help? 187 views.. so I know I am not the only person that would like to be able to do this.

superevilllama

Jun 14, 2007
meh did it myself. Updated first post. I will modifiy to include being able to view actual internal storage via usb storage mode later today.

Reactions: Double0EK

superevilllama

Jun 14, 2007
It doesn't download anything. It does exactly what the thread title and first post say. The external SD card identifies as the internal or /sdcard and the internal SD or phone storage identifies as /sdcard/ext_sd.

Check storage in system settings. Phone storage becomes your external cars, in my case a 32gb card. The internal SD card becomes the external SD removable storage. The main purpose that I did it was to have Google music see my music files on my physical 32gb storage card.

coupetastic-droid

Dec 25, 2010
cali
It doesn't download anything. It does exactly what the thread title and first post say. The external SD card identifies as the internal or /sdcard and the internal SD or phone storage identifies as /sdcard/ext_sd.

Check storage in system settings. Phone storage becomes your external cars, in my case a 32gb card. The internal SD card becomes the external SD removable storage. The main purpose that I did it was to have Google music see my music files on my physical 32gb storage card.

I never said it downloaded anything. What I meant to say is, does this mod makes the SD card the only download path? Basically only having one storage place which will be the external SD card.
But I see you already confirmed it. I will try this.

Wingchundub

Mar 6, 2012
Hi all,
I have uploaded my file here as i am lost on what needs t be edited in order to have my 16gb external as main or internal on my zopo 200.
Would anyone be kind enough to explain what needs to be edited.
Once i do this, do i need to reinstall ROM and re-root again which i do not mind as the phone is basically new and nothing much installed.
Best wishes
Pete :good:

pdmx

Jan 8, 2011
Garlasco (pv)
Hi all,
I have uploaded my file here as i am lost on what needs t be edited in order to have my 16gb external as main or internal on my zopo 200.
Would anyone be kind enough to explain what needs to be edited.
Once i do this, do i need to reinstall ROM and re-root again which i do not mind as the phone is basically new and nothing much installed.
Best wishes
Pete :good:
Hi guys,
same here with my X26i. Same vold.fstab as your, but how to modify to use my 32gb sd card?
Thanks

rushiachrekar

Sep 15, 2013
So this file stored in /system/etc determines what type of storage sdcard and sdcard2 will be identified as. Basically sdcard2 becomes ext_sd.

While most applications are fine with using our phone's internal storage as the primary, google music does not and cannot find any music on my removable SD card. As soon as I copy it to internal it finds it right away. by modding this file, we can essentially have our removable SD card seen as primary storage and the internal secondary or as an external card.

It looks like they sucessfully made this change on the Rezound (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1383330 by changing the following:

to this:

dev_mount sdcard2 /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd 37 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.1/mmc_host/mmc0

to this:

dev_mount sdcard2 /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd 36 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.1/mmc_host/mmc0

Got it working! sorta.. The phone now recognizes the physical storage card as internal phone storage and the internal phone storage as the ext_sd card. Google music finds all music. I have to add a few things to the vold.fstab file to allow a computer to see the actual internal storage card when using the phone in usb storage mode. If you would like to try it, unzip the attached modified.vold.fstab.zip file and push the file to /system/etc via adb after deleting the old one. I have also included the stock one in this post.

KEEP IN MIND: If you wipe internal storage with your phone with this mod in place, you may wipe your SD CARD. Make sure you flash back to the stock file, or just don't use the wipe internal storage feature.

hey i did this....but now my phone is not starting.....wht to do now?

jkmaxfli

May 6, 2012
SD as internal storage

She could anyone help with editing vold.fstab to exchange storage to the SD card as an internal storage? :good:

# Copyright (C) 2009 The Android Open Source Project
#
# Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
# you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
# You may obtain a copy of the License at
#
# http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
#
# Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
# distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
# WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
# See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
# limitations under the License.

## Vold 2.0 fstab for HTC Dream or Sapphire
#
## - San Mehat (san@android.com)
##

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
## Format: dev_mount <label> <mount_point> <part> <sysfs_path1...>
## label - Label for the volume
## mount_point - Where the volume will be mounted
## part - Partition # (1 based), or 'auto' for first usable partition.
## <sysfs_path> - List of sysfs paths to source devices
######################

# Mounts the first usable partition of the specified device
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/ext_sdcard auto /devices/platform/hi_mci.0/mmc_host/mmc1
dev_mount usbotg /mnt/usb auto /devices/hisik3-usb-otg/usb1

TeRrOkToR

Sep 23, 2013
Android: 4.0.4
zp200+

My original vold.fstab:

## Vold 2.0 Generic fstab
##

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
######################

## Example of a standard sdcard mount for the emulator / Dream
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard2 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host
## Example of a dual card setup
# dev_mount left_sdcard /mnt/sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host/mmc0
# dev_mount right_sdcard /mnt/sdcard2 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.2/mmc_host/mmc2

## Example of specifying a specific partition for mounts
# dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 2 /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I only change this lines:
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard2 emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host

This worked perfectly, but when I move apps to the internal memory of the phone message said that was not possible because they did not have enough space. 64GB sdcard!

Any idea how to fix it !?

Tks !!

Last edited:

Marcos Lyra

Nov 24, 2014
Hello guys,

This is the vold.fstab of my tablet, a P10AN01 with a Vegabean ROM. It have 300mb of internal memory and this ROM takes more or less a half of this. I've searched the two lines to change but.... ...I've missed something or this tablet doesn't have option to swith?

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
######################

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/mmc_host/mmc3

# THIS IS NOT NEEDED
# dev_mount system_usb /mnt/usb/system_usb auto /devices/platform/tegra-ehci.0/usb

# Dock usb ports
dev_mount usb0 /mnt/usb/usb0 auto /devices/platform/tegra-ehci.2/usb0
dev_mount usb1 /mnt/usb/usb1 auto /devices/platform/tegra-ehci.2/usb1
dev_mount usb2 /mnt/usb/usb2 auto /devices/platform/tegra-ehci.2/usb2
dev_mount usb3 /mnt/usb/usb3 auto /devices/platform/tegra-ehci.2/usb3

# Usb host mode
dev_mount usbdisk /mnt/usbdisk auto /devices/platform/tegra-ehci

Sorry by my english,

Marcos Lyra

safsaf_asm

Feb 27, 2010
I did that (changed the vold.fstab file) and now I'm on boot loop...when accessing the recovery mode, only adb sideload cmd is available and I can't do nothing.
Any help?

ggnatics989

Oct 28, 2016
## Vold 2.0 Generic fstab
##

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
######################

## Example of a standard sdcard mount for the emulator / Dream
#dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/rda-mmc.0/mmc_host/mmc0
dev_mount udisk /mnt/udisk auto /devices/platform/musb-rda.0/musb-hdrc/usb1/1-1/1-1:1.0
## Example of a dual card setup
# dev_mount left_sdcard /sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
# dev_mount right_sdcard /sdcard2 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host/mmc1

## Example of specifying a specific partition for mounts
# dev_mount sdcard /sdcard 2 /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1

mine sir is auto what can i do

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

to this:

to this:

I've modded my own and the settings are definitely in that file because my SD card dissapeared. Of course it was because I didn't do it correctly to match our phone but I would love to find the right settings.

Here is a fix they made for the droid x2

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1229294

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using XDA
    meh did it myself. Updated first post. I will modifiy to include being able to view actual internal storage via usb storage mode later today.