Making Rooted safer than Stock

Search This thread

mathorv

Jun 5, 2011
Dear Team Eureka there is one thing you may do with security of Chromecast that Google did not.
You may add the missing security feature:
"if there is no connection to preset network" - "do not enable unprotected wifi ap mode" unless user will press reset button for short time (something like enable/disable wifi feature with openwrt)

There is plenty of things you ma use button for in future

(you may use different functions within different interval)

press
1-5 seconds
6- 15... and so on

Last edited:

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
I agree that the way it is currently working is not as secure as it could be...

But I think the better way to do all of this is the following:

1 - Never have the CCast automatically connect to an Open Wireless unless specifically told to via Setup (not sure if it does this now or not)
2 - (and this would be the alternative to your suggestion) CCast doesn't leave any unprotected network sans AP connection for setup. It's default setup mode is a protected WiFi either WEP or WPA

CCast should instead set a random pin/pass and WPA/WEP connection for use in setup when it can't find an authorized AP.
Since you should have access to the screen it is plugged into and hackers would not, you would make the connection to the CCast in protected mode using the PIN that is displayed on the screen to make the connection to the protected network. Once connected you set up the device normally.

Much better than walking over to the TV and device to press a button and much more secure because the only way to set up or take over the unit requires access to the TV it is plugged into.

As far as the Button is concerned I would really like to see it used to switch modes and add a DLNA device mode to the custom rom. Unless the ROM could add this feature while still in CCast mode.

Last edited:

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
1 - Never have the CCast automatically connect to an Open Wireless unless specifically told to via Setup
2 - (and this would be the alternative to your suggestion) CCast doesn't leave any unprotected network sans AP connection. It's default setup mode is a protected WiFi either WEP or WPA

CCast should instead set a random pin/pass and WPA/WEP connection for use in setup when it can't find an authorized AP.
Since you should have access to the screen it is plugged into and hackers would not, you would make the connection to the CCast in protected mode using the PIN that is displayed on the screen to make the connection to the protected network. Once connected you set up the device normally.
AFAIK Chromecast never does #1 - it won't auto-connect to any AP unless it's already set up.

Agree on #2 though. Actually, both yours and mathorv's suggestion could be used in conjunction - Chromecast should use WEP security* on its setup AP and turning on the setup AP could be set to require human interaction.
*mainly for compatibility with clients/routers that don't support WPA or better - yes, they still exist - crackable, yes, but still better than completely open as it is now.

Since the serial number is easily accessible on the unit itself and its box, that could be an easy-to-get password, and the 4-character alphanumeric ID shown on the TV could be a secondary confirmation for Setup, not just a convenient way to make sure you're connected to the correct Chromecast (does Google really think/hope there will be that many Chromecasts out there being set up at the same time?).

mathorv

Jun 5, 2011
Also if http will be protected with https also passwords it may be better to config Chromecast wireless options via https/ssh.
Is there any way to implement power save for example trigger via ssh/https?

Last edited:

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
AFAIK Chromecast never does #1 - it won't auto-connect to any AP unless it's already set up.

Agree on #2 though. Actually, both yours and mathorv's suggestion could be used in conjunction - Chromecast should use WEP security* on its setup AP and turning on the setup AP could be set to require human interaction.
*mainly for compatibility with clients/routers that don't support WPA or better - yes, they still exist - crackable, yes, but still better than completely open as it is now.

Since the serial number is easily accessible on the unit itself and its box, that could be an easy-to-get password, and the 4-character alphanumeric ID shown on the TV could be a secondary confirmation for Setup, not just a convenient way to make sure you're connected to the correct Chromecast (does Google really think/hope there will be that many Chromecasts out there being set up at the same time?).

Thats why I think whenever it can't find an AP to connect to it shouldn't take anything for it to generate a random password (changes everytime) that can be used until setup is complete...

As for HTTP access i it is not connected to an AP there really is no HTTP available until you have connected to it in some way.
I would be happy if Google allowed us some config tools but I don't think they are all that interested in us having control over the unit for DRM purposes.

The devs at Plex have even said that Google will not allow them to implement sending to CCast as part of their Local PlexWeb (Plex.TV is fine though)

This suggests they really do not want anything they can't approve or any usage that could expose how the device is talked to being left open to the public.
I guess they figure that if we can see how linkage and communication is done we will reverse engineer it to play and do things they don't want us doing or bypassing DRM schemes as they currently work.

mathorv

Jun 5, 2011

WEP is broken for over 10 years now! No sane human being is using it. Cracking WEP is extremely fast and easy. WEP is a false protection, illlusion of security. Using WEP is BLASHEMY.

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
WEP is broken for over 10 years now! No sane human being is using it. Cracking WEP is extremely fast and easy. WEP is a false protection, illlusion of security. Using WEP is BLASHEMY.
Obviously you feel strongly about WEP. :)

I'm not going to argue that, because you are right that WEP is easily broken. WPA can be broken too, but with more effort.

That said, WEP is an illusion of security only if you expect it to be unbreakable, just like passwords and everything else.

Seat belts won't save you in every accident, but if you don't expect them to, they are still helpful in the event of an accident.
Now if you're driving recklessly because you think seat belts and air bags will save you, then yes it is a false sense of security and you're foolish to take extra risks.

But for the Chromecast setup AP that is temporary by nature, are you suggesting that it is better to not use any security at all, just as it is right now?

Last edited:

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
You know what I always say.....

"Just because you are Diagnosed Paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get you!"

LOL

This is the second conversation regarding CCast vulnerability and so far all we have identified as a REAL security concern is that someone could set up the CCast to connect to some WiFi other than yours which would lead to the grand total tragedy that they could send content to your TV.

The other conversation was in regards to the Rooted ROM having SSH and Telnet installed that could be used to hack your Router Password provided you had already hacked the router password to make the connection to the CCast in the first place to use those tools to get what you already have!

Here is something folks should take into account....NOTHING IS SECURE EVER!
Even the Servers in Iran's Nuke Plant that had no connection to the outside world whatsoever were compromised, Hacked and attacked by Stuxnet!

There is no security ever the only thing you can ever really do is make the hack hard enough and as time consuming as possible that they will move onto someone else's system to pry into their Word Docs and that private folder you keep your IFriends profile pictures in instead. LOL

Yes WEP can be hacked. Imagine how much fun someone will have after they set up your CCast to use their network and try to send content to a TV never knowing if you actually noticed it or not because they can't see your TV.

It's still a damn site better than leaving an Open WiFi AP on the CCast until setup which takes no hacking skill at all to crack.

The way I look at it if the person is smart enough to hack they are also smart enough to know there is no point in hacking a CCast...Not when there is a WiFi router that gets them a hell of a lot more personal info and much more access than just displaying content to your TV.

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
This is the second conversation regarding CCast vulnerability and so far all we have identified as a REAL security concern is that someone could set up the CCast to connect to some WiFi other than yours which would lead to the grand total tragedy that they could send content to your TV.
While this would be a great dorm prank, at least with the current functionality of Chromecast, that's all they get to do... turn on the TV and send whatever video to the TV they want, which would be quite scary/annoying. Think of the beginning of Back to the Future Part II where all the screens in the house turn on with Marty's boss telling him he's fired. ;)

The other conversation was in regards to the Rooted ROM having SSH and Telnet installed that could be used to hack your Router Password provided you had already hacked the router password to make the connection to the CCast in the first place to use those tools to get what you already have!
Actually I think the scenario @mathorv described is a little different and easy to exploit.
  1. Chromecast is in setup mode and broadcasting an open AP
  2. Attacker connects to the open AP
  3. Attacker connects to Web Panel and enables ADB/Telnet/SSH (because web panel currently does not require authentication, Team Eureka said authentication is coming)
  4. Attacker connects to Chromecast via ADB, Telnet, or SSH and gets access to the root filesystem, where they can see the cleartext password and SSID of the AP that Chromecast normally connects to (because password is stored in supplicant config file which is accessible)
So the attacker does not need anything more than to see the Chromecastnnnn AP.

Sadly, the WPA authentication seems to be stored the same way on phones/tablets as well. The only thing that shields phones/tablets from the same type of attack is not all of them have root and they usually aren't accessible from the network. Hence, with root comes extra responsibility, which is why root often is made difficult.

Here is something folks should take into account....NOTHING IS SECURE EVER!
Yup. What we commonly call "security" is really just a deterrent. It increases the effort and the hope is that the attacker will pick an easier target. It's why we put locks on doors when it's often relatively simple to bypass them.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
  1. Chromecast is in setup mode and broadcasting an open AP
  2. Attacker connects to the open AP
  3. Attacker connects to Web Panel and enables ADB/Telnet/SSH (because web panel currently does not require authentication, Team Eureka said authentication is coming)
  4. Attacker connects to Chromecast via ADB, Telnet, or SSH and gets access to the root filesystem, where they can see the cleartext password and SSID of the AP that Chromecast normally connects to (because password is stored in supplicant config file which is accessible)
So the attacker does not need anything more than to see the Chromecastnnnn AP.

Except for the fact that if it is not connected to the router then that means the router is unavailable, and or the Password saved in cleartext isn't working. If it was it would be connected and not in Setup mode.

Thats the point I was trying to get across there....

Sure you could find passwords to APs the CCast was connected to...
But if it isn't connected at the time of the hack then those APs are not available if they were you would not be able to connect to the CCast.
And if they are available then anything saved in the CCast is worthless since the CCast couldn't use it to connect either.

And I told him how to plug that hole far better than via the ROM....
Turn on Mac Filtering so not only do you need the password but need to clone a MAC address as well.

And all of this to get at what?

Your last will and testament and some compromising Pictures?

If you make it difficult enough that the payoff isn't worth the effort they will move on....

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
Except for the fact that if it is not connected to the router then that means the router is unavailable, and or the Password saved in cleartext isn't working. If it was it would be connected and not in Setup mode.
Ahh, I see your point now.

At least for me, sometimes Chromecast will "miss" the connection shortly after boot, so the setup AP is available for a few minutes after a reboot. To exploit that, someone would need to be sitting and listening for it to pop up - not a "juicy" target, but still possible. People do strange things "just because they can" - at least that's what YouTube teaches me. :D

As you say, MAC filtering provides an additional deterrent level. Unfortunately the target customer is probably not sophisticated enough to do that. I'm not sure all ISP-provided devices (I avoid integrated hardware that I can't configure) allows setting MAC restrictions though. :rolleyes:

frantisek.nesveda

Jan 10, 2012
But if it isn't connected at the time of the hack then those APs are not available if they were you would not be able to connect to the CCast.
And if they are available then anything saved in the CCast is worthless since the CCast couldn't use it to connect either.

Well, in theory, you could connect to the CCast when it is in unprotected AP mode, enable ssh, and write a shell script which gets started every boot and sends out the saved wifi password somewhere to the internet. Then, when the CCast owner sets up is wifi, and sometimes later reboots, the wifi passwords will be sent out.

But... since there are probably only a few thousand rooted Chromecasts, and the time window in which to push the script to the Chromecast is so narrow, I doubt anyone would spend any time to try this.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Unfortunately the target customer is probably not sophisticated enough to do that. I'm not sure all ISP-provided devices (I avoid integrated hardware that I can't configure) allows setting MAC restrictions though. :rolleyes:

I'm sure thats true but if your not sophisticated enough to control your own Network or let an ISP do it all for you the least of your issues are what might happen in the odd chance CCast is disconnected or in the 30 seconds before it connects to an AP during Bootup. Locking up the holes in a CCast sure isn't going to help you much LOL

Well, in theory, you could connect to the CCast when it is in unprotected AP mode, enable ssh, and write a shell script which gets started every boot and sends out the saved wifi password somewhere to the internet. Then, when the CCast owner sets up is wifi, and sometimes later reboots, the wifi passwords will be sent out.

Well in theory you could have it do location checks with Google and map location, SSID and Password of every AP it ever connects to...

Like I said to what end would someone do that?
What is the PAYOFF in the end?
I could understand it if your living next to Bill Gates and wanted to steal banking info....

The Average Joe doesn't have anything worth seeing that would make someone go through all of that especially when they could get it much easier by just sniffing WiFi packets and finding the same data and decrypting it.

They could sit there all day and hack the Router but they have such a small window to work with on an unconnected CCast either because they have to catch it rebooting or catch it in a location that it isn't setup for and unless you have written a program to do all of that without Human Intervention you still got a snowballs chance in hell of getting any worthwhile information...

Security only happens when there are multiple layers of protection that make it so difficult to breach that they won't bother unless the payoff is worth it.

Someone really has to hate you in order to go through all that so some of the best security practices you can implement is don't be an AZZ and no one will have it out for you enough to want to get something on you via a Hack! LOL

(Not suggesting anyone in this discussion is just saying in General LOL)

frantisek.nesveda

Jan 10, 2012
Like I said to what end would someone do that?
Well, would you give me your WiFi password?
I can think of a few things you could do with access to someone's WiFi... Free internet, torrenting on someone else's responsibility, or just messing with someone.

I could understand it if your living next to Bill Gates and wanted to steal banking info...
The real question here is... Would Bill Gates buy a Google Chromecast? :laugh:

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Well, would you give me your WiFi password?
I can think of a few things you could do with access to someone's WiFi... Free internet, torrenting on someone else's responsibility, or just messing with someone.

The real question here is... Would Bill Gates buy a Google Chromecast? :laugh:

Sure! I could very easily give you my router password and you would still not be able to do anything you mentioned until you figured out a MAC address one of my networked devices actually uses.

And to my other point...Is Free Internet or messing with someone really worth the risk of going to a Federal Pen for hacking?

As for what Bill Gates has I wonder if he is even running Windows 8 cause I don't know anyone who has it that likes it! LOL

frantisek.nesveda

Jan 10, 2012
Sure! I could very easily give you my router password and you would still not be able to do anything you mentioned until you figured out a MAC address one of my networked devices actually uses.
Good point.

I guess that if we really wanted, we could play this cat and mouse game for quite some time, but the outcome would be that if you really care about security, you can make your network secure enough. But that would be just spamming the thread.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
but the outcome would be that if you really care about security, you can make your network secure enough. But that would be just spamming the thread.

Actually I think what I was trying to say is that no matter how much you care and try to be secure...
If they want you they WILL get you and they don't need nor would they do it through your CCast when there are far better tried and true methods to attack a wireless router directly that doesn't require LUCK of a device not connecting or the timing of catching it while it is booting up in order to catch the weakness.
Any security hole that results from the CCast will likely never amount to anything more than the Prankish "Look what dirtyPorn I put on your screen"

If they want dirt they will go to the router which is always up and doesn't require some act of god or electronics to happen.

You secure your router the best you can and if that isn't enough then you need to keep your wireless off until you need it to be TRULY secure....

And even then there is nothing to stop them from tapping into the pole where your Internet connection comes in and getting you that way!

Security is nothing more than an illusion and a deterrent...Truth is your never secure no matter how much you worry which says to me...Worrying is pointless. Unless you have enemies that really want to get you...and if thats the case all the security in the world won't stop them!

mathorv

Jun 5, 2011
Actually I think what I was trying to say is that no matter how much you care and try to be secure...
If they want you they WILL get you and they don't need nor would they do it through your CCast when there are far better tried and true methods to attack a wireless router directly that doesn't require LUCK of a device not connecting or the timing of catching it while it is booting up in order to catch the weakness.
Any security hole that results from the CCast will likely never amount to anything more than the Prankish "Look what dirtyPorn I put on your screen"

If they want dirt they will go to the router which is always up and doesn't require some act of god or electronics to happen.

You secure your router the best you can and if that isn't enough then you need to keep your wireless off until you need it to be TRULY secure....

And even then there is nothing to stop them from tapping into the pole where your Internet connection comes in and getting you that way!

Security is nothing more than an illusion and a deterrent...Truth is your never secure no matter how much you worry which says to me...Worrying is pointless. Unless you have enemies that really want to get you...and if thats the case all the security in the world won't stop them!

MAC access list = joke, blacklist is also a illusion changing MAC address(spoofing MAC) is extremely easy on any platform.
In case of whitelist Attacker will look into it just a bit for a longer, to know list of allowed devices.
At home you will have to whitelist every new device...
In corporate environment it will take you more time also WPA2-PSK is not suitable for serous corporate use.

About absolute security.
Security is relative term. Its just like healthy life style, it will not make you immune to diseases, it will make you generally healthier, less likely to get ill.